Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor (19755 Views)

List Of 18 Professors Vying For ABU's Vice Chancellor Post / Parents Aid Sex-for-marks In Universities – ABU VC, Professor Ibrahim Garba / Top 10 Slowest Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by MrExcel(m): 9:57pm On Nov 24, 2017
free2ryhme:

90% of your professors are in Islamic studies

your opinion is not recognize go and stay one side
ignorance is a disease. Google search Prof. AJ Nok, prof A.G Garuba, Prof. Madakson and thank me later. I can continue counting without an end.stop being myopic and travel before making statement of this nature.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by aribisala0(m): 9:57pm On Nov 24, 2017
Ezigbonmadu:
This is bullshit.

First, the amount paid as tuition by students doesn't determine the quality of education. Take Germany and all Scandinavia countries for instance where tuition is free yet their education is top-notch. You can't blame Nigeria students who shouldn't even pay at all for paying too little

Secondly, how have they spent the little money allocated to them? Can they boldly claim that the government get value for the little amount invested so far? I know many Nigerian lecturers who failed to graduate in UK universities due to poor grades after the federal government have invested millions of Naira each on their education through TETFund. These lecturers get fully funded scholarship from FG that takes care of tuition and maintenance while their salary still get paid in simultaneously, yet most fail. Now they avoid Europe and North America but now prefer Malaysia and co. I guess it's easier to pass there.

More importantly, private sectors in developed countries finance researches, not the government. How many private sector research funding have they as academia in Nigeria attracted over the years? Your guess is as good as mine, they attract almost zero funding. Who is to blame? Obviously it's the Nigeria academia that fail to appeal to the industries.
Your reasoning is odd
Fiirst he did not say aount paid BY STUDENT.Whether the student pays or not somebody has to pay.It costs money to hire quality lecturers and infrastructure and when you work out the total cost of running a university by the number of students that gives you an aveage working cost per student. Whatever the cost of "QUALITY" is it is greater than 0.His argument is it is ay greater than the 20000 naira figure he quoted/

Germany where you claim it is "FREE" does that mean there is no cost,no budget per student? The money has to come from somewhere.

I believe you must still be very young . There was a time when students did not sit on the floor and fighting got you expelled from Nigerian universities. When a Nigeria degree meant something.

The truth of the matter is our universities are overcrowded. How can yo talk about using resources well when universities are forced to admit way above their capacity .

Government needs to be honest with people.Government cannot fund free education and cruciallyy government CANNOT manage universities.

Universities need to be privatised 100% and government channel its budget into scholarships and those that caannot get scholarships either pay or get loans.

Many of the degrees awarded have no employment value and people would do better learning tades

Nigerian univesities still churn out some good research especially in agriculture.

The truth of the matter is our system stifles merit.

You cannot have academia that is meritocratic in a political environment of nepotism and paddypaddyism such as ours.
When lecturers can be given 24 hours to vacate the premises and so on.
In the UK average professor salary is a bit more than that of an MP

The starting point is to remove universities100% from government and create an environment where they are cometitiie.

Just yesterday they were debating a bill for yet another university and Buhari approved some oney for another one while GEJ established several in one day.

This is bogus and unrealistic.
The Federal government cannot affrod these universities and they end up underfunded and overcrowded

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Gerrard59(m): 10:00pm On Nov 24, 2017
Ezigbonmadu:
This is bullshit.

First, the amount paid as tuition by students doesn't determine the quality of education. Take Germany and all Scandinavia countries for instance where tuition is free yet their education is top-notch. You can't blame Nigeria students who shouldn't even pay at all for paying too little

Secondly, how have they spent the little money allocated to them? Can they boldly claim that the government get value for the little amount invested so far? I know many Nigerian lecturers who failed to graduate in UK universities due to poor grades after the federal government have invested millions of Naira each on their education through TETFund. These lecturers get fully funded scholarship from FG that takes care of tuition and maintenance while their salary still get paid in simultaneously, yet most fail. Now they avoid Europe and North America but now prefer Malaysia and co. I guess it's easier to pass there.

More importantly, private sectors in developed countries finance researches, not the government. How many private sector research funding have they as academia in Nigeria attracted over the years? Your guess is as good as mine, they attract almost zero funding. Who is to blame? Obviously it's the Nigeria academia that fail to appeal to the industries.

There are lots of irregularities in this post.

1. You mentioned Scandinavian nations and Germany, but forget the fact that taxes of up to 50% of one's earnings fund the system. The tax rate in Nordic nations is very high, so don't compare. How many Nigerians pay taxes? How are the taxes used? They have less population, that also counts.

2. That certain lecturers failed doesn't mean every lecturer is not good. While there are bad eggs, there are equally if not more than good eggs. I've come across such kind of persons.

3. False. Research in the developed world is MAINLY funded by the government not the private sector. The latter fund some, but very few and they are highly selective. The Internet and Ebola vaccine were formed and discovered with public funding. Researchers in Japan are disturbing Abe's government to increase funding for basic research. Last year's Nobel prize winner in Medicine was funded with public funds. Nowhere is government funds lower than private funding. If not the British government will not be spending more than £2BN to reassure researchers of funding notwithstanding Brexit. Additionally, our economy is mono-dependent. We need to diversify.

@Post, The VC is right. Funding is needed, however, major changes have to be effected for such funding to take place. Nowhere is quality education cheap, absolutely!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by lookingfly: 10:00pm On Nov 24, 2017
Make this guy no use wayo increase fees ooo , I beg wait make I graduate first cry
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 24, 2017
free2ryhme:

go on facts finding it is not about religion bros i no get power

1.ABU has a lot of Christian staff...academic and non academic, as well as plenty Christian students, past and present.

2.ABU has a Protestant chapel and a Catholic chapel on the main campus (Website of the protestant chapel)
There is another Protestant chapel on the Kongo campus.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by barackodam: 10:02pm On Nov 24, 2017
maynation:
Just a fresh graduate of ABU and i can't remb ever buying handouts. Abi Barackodam i lie?

30k??

grin grin grin

maybe he's a student of ABU Jaji, you never can tell

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by aribisala0(m): 10:12pm On Nov 24, 2017
Gerrard59:

1. You mentioned Scandinavian nations and Germany, but forget the fact that taxes of up to 50% of one's earnings fund the system. The tax rate in Nordic nations is very high, so don't compare. How many Nigerians pay taxes? How are the taxes used? They have less population, that also counts.

2. That certain lecturers failed doesn't mean every lecturer is not good. While there are bad eggs, there are equally if not more than good eggs. I've come across such kind of persons.

3. False. Research in the developed world is MAINLY funded by the government not the private sector. The latter fund some, but very few and they are highly selective. The Internet and Ebola vaccine were formed and discovered with public funding. Researchers in Japan are disturbing Abe's government to increase funding for basic research. Last year's Nobel prize winner in Medicine was funded with public funds. Nowhere is government funds lower than private funding. If not the British government will not be spending more than £2BN to reassure researchers of funding notwithstanding Brexit. Additionally, our economy is mono-dependent. We need to diversify.

@Post, The VC is right. Funding is needed, however, major changes have to be effected for such funding to take place. Nowhere is quality education cheap, absolutely!

Alsoweneed to move away fro excessive focus on university educationand put mor resources into technical education that actually yields jobs.
In many countries hairdressing iis a certifiable qualification same for butcher carpenter and so on

We are talking of a country where driving licences mean for truck drivers are for sale.

In soecountries the person who passed you for driving test will have theiir name embedded permanently on your record

People go to university as a means of employment.

How many universities teach waste management,road building,plumbing which are areas our economy is crying for.

How does one become a welder in Nigeria
What about Industrial Safety ? I could go on and on.

It is foolish to expect the same system that produce the Nigerian police to producegood universities

Did yu see the most recent allocation for education

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by barackodam: 10:17pm On Nov 24, 2017
free2ryhme:

90% of your professors are in Islamic studies

your opinion is not recognize go and stay one side

you apparently know nothing about what you're saying. You don't even school in northern Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 24, 2017
cochtrane:

Oh really? 50%? Where's your source? Don't just pull data out of your hat.
That they have a highly diversified economy doesn't answer to the fact that education is cheap there. That point of yours is a red herring. Resource dependence has nothing to do with bad education in Nigeria; corruption has. In other words, the professor's argument does not hold water. Were Nigeria corruption-free, more money could flow from the government into universities, making quality education cheap; Not more money from the students.
Yes Germany, Norway etc pay close to 50% of income as tax to make services available for everyone. Plus they have a very low population growth which sees that govt can accommodate for everybody's education

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by victorDanladi: 10:23pm On Nov 24, 2017
free2ryhme:

go on facts finding it is not about religion bros i no get power
?
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by aribisala0(m): 10:27pm On Nov 24, 2017
Statsocial:

Yes Germany, Norway etc pay close to 50% of income as tax to make services available for everyone. Plus they have a very low population growth which sees that govt can accommodate for everybody's education
You are right that those countries have high taxation but honestly that does not matter to the issue at hand whethe or not the tax is 1% or 99 % is totally irrelevant.

What is the issue is
what is the budget per university student compared to the 20000 in Nigeria? and is it funded by the governent or by tuition?

It is important to deploy the right argument to make the right point.
There is no need to get embroiled in whether it is 20% or 50% it is immaterial

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Nobody: 10:29pm On Nov 24, 2017
Gerrard59:

Plus Scandinavian countries have low population and a very low birth rate. That alone means we can't copy their model. While a Denmark might not need more than 5 universities to cater for such population, Nigeria would need more than 100. Hence it makes sense for us to copy USA, China who have similar demographics and population rather than Nordic nations.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by einsteine(m): 10:37pm On Nov 24, 2017
Ezigbonmadu:
This is bullshit.

Someone has to pay. In Scandinavia, the people pay through the extremely high tax rates. In Germany, government funds it. You can't have low school fees and low funding at the same time while expecting quality.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Chartey(m): 11:12pm On Nov 24, 2017
9jakohai:

1.Thanks for your reply, and for insulting me, wink

2.The university needs 600million ....for power each year. Now...can self sustenance get that money?Can fixing phones, or opening newspaper get that money.?

Plus...ABU does have commercial enterprises..they have a Press, and they do pure water too.

3. Even then....it isn't enough.

There is no such thing as free education. Just as you cannot buy a I phone x for 1000 naira, you cannot expect world class on school fees less than 200USD.

Either fees go up....or taxes go up.

And i speak as someone who in my ideal....fees would be N10000 PER ANNUM..

Transport company, construction company, hotels are some of ABU's other businesses.
Free tuition is simply not sustainable anymore.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by brightdave: 11:26pm On Nov 24, 2017
I will not totally agree with this Proff. although poor funding may be part of the challenge Nigeria education is facing, but several countries offer zero tuition education to the students and they are still doing fine. Our students gets scholarship abroad and pay no dime and yet the standard does not fall. To me the problem started from our government, refusing to pump money into institutions, more from our half baked lecturers many of them are not worth to be one due to corruption, some encourage cramming . just cram my handout , pour it back for me and get my full mark. The note that many of them are using was the same note they used for those who have gone before us and failed in the industries, guess what will happen as they will still use the same note for those unborn children after me and you. I guess our problem is not just money but the people in charge.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Nobody: 1:13am On Nov 25, 2017
Hurlarzan139:
Our government has do something about this education sector .. From primary school to university everything is rubbish.. In Saudi Arabia you will have access to free education from primary school to all level. Without paying a dime.

This is 3rd best university in the World Standford University and they still try and help there students. Not here in Nigeria

I think we're all on same page on poor quality of education. But the man is right, peak milk and cowbell is not same.
You pay 20k u get 20k value. Stanford University budget is $6.3billion this year.... All the state IGR in Nigeria combined is not upto that...Nigeria's budget sef is a Lil above $20billion. Tuition free schools are getting funds- probably public or private donors.
..... NUC is kuku interested in buying vehicles cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by BlackAce31(m): 2:25am On Nov 25, 2017
9jakohai:

You missed the bit where he said they have just 2800 lecturers for 50000 students.

And all that stuff you just spoke...no be the same Nigerians that are too poor to pay high fees for their wards that will pay money for repairs of phone?

Mass com student go start paper? You sef...when last did you buy paper? grin

And didn't you read the bit where he said he gets 120million overhead annually...while his power bill alone is 50 million monthly?

And stop that nansense about foreign curriculum....our curriculum has been nigerianized for decades.

You cannot buy a brand new Porsche at the cost of a keke napep.
And u believed him when he said 50m monthly for just power. Truth is the problem lies in our economy. When the government lowest pay is #18k but government officials collect almost $65k, is there an even distribution of wealth?? and u want the masses to be paying fully for tuition. He's kinda right. Either the government properlyfunds our universities and give it standard or they even out how they pay and allow us pay our thing ourselves
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by gete21: 3:01am On Nov 25, 2017
Lilymax:
"Ask students to pay"
Aren't we paying enough?
From sch fees to handout buying to settling lecturers

I don't share that opinion

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by wman(m): 3:37am On Nov 25, 2017
I totally agree with this. Education is massively underfunded in Nigeria. The little fundings it receives gets embezzled in so many ways. Before even talking about being the best in the world, become among the top 10 in Africa first.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by ExpressDiggers: 3:58am On Nov 25, 2017
motikorede:
I believe this man is a schmuck . This is one among saboteurs we have in our country . How can he open his gutter and say student shd pay more , aint we paying enough ?
Likes of him enjoyed free education bak in those days , but they mount burdens on the younger generations so as to fill their pocket ...
According to him " lecturers are using their small salary to execute project " . This man is a lier , " small salary " indeed .... am very sure that , the least lecturers are payed will be nothing less than 150k per mnth .... Tell me is that a small salary ??

My brother, i am a lecturer. Take it from me, MOST lecturers do no receive anything close to that

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Jasomine: 5:13am On Nov 25, 2017
Oga VC, for God's sake tell the truth. You don't spend 20k to train a student because govt pays the salaries. The major problem facing Nigeria public Universities is not different from that confronting the whole nation and that is CORRUPTION. Our VCs are worse that National Assembly members
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by optimusprime2(m): 6:36am On Nov 25, 2017
Dracoe:
That's actually the truth, most schools abroad pay really high fees compared to Nigeria here, which makes their standard of education farbetter.

I have a friend in the US who told me that, even in their community college they pay about 20-50k dollars as tuition, and more for Federal and state Universities/colleges talkless of private. 20k dollars is about 8 million naira, how many Nigerians can afford that??
While here in Nigeria, how much do we pay...??
The Unilag that I know of pays 19500 naira
Since the government is not ready to fully fund the students, and they definitely can't force/be bold enough to ask parent's who are still struggling to make ends meet, pay 8 million as tuition , Nigerian Universities can't meet up to the standards to become one of the top ranking Universities in the world.
Do you also know in Germany, Tuition is free in "ALL" public universities?
No matter what, if the government puts priority on Education as a whole... what this vC is complaining about wouldn't be an issue.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Walexwisdom(m): 7:00am On Nov 25, 2017
Dracoe:
That's actually the truth, most schools abroad pay really high fees compared to Nigeria here, which makes their standard of education farbetter.

I have a friend in the US who told me that, even in their community college they pay about 20-50k dollars as tuition, and more for Federal and state Universities/colleges talkless of private. 20k dollars is about 8 million naira, how many Nigerians can afford that??
While here in Nigeria, how much do we pay...??
The Unilag that I know of pays 19500 naira
Since the government is not ready to fully fund the students, and they definitely can't force/be bold enough to ask parent's who are still struggling to make ends meet, pay 8 million as tuition , Nigerian Universities can't meet up to the standards to become one of the top ranking Universities in the world.

And did the person tells you the standard of leaving in the US compare to Nigeria. How do you expect students to pay school fees in hundreds of thousands or millions when some state can't even pay a minimum salary of #18,000.
All we need is a government that function at its full capacity and capital punishment for the looters. then with time, sanity will be restored to our country.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Walexwisdom(m): 7:21am On Nov 25, 2017
9jakohai:

1.Thanks for your reply, and for insulting me, wink

2.The university needs 600million ....for power each year. Now...can self sustenance get that money?Can fixing phones, or opening newspaper get that money.?

Plus...ABU does have commercial enterprises..they have a Press, and they do pure water too.

3. Even then....it isn't enough.

There is no such thing as free education. Just as you cannot buy a I phone x for 1000 naira, you cannot expect world class on school fees less than 200USD.

Either fees go up....or taxes go up.

And i speak as someone who in my ideal....fees would be N10000 PER ANNUM..

Everything still boils down to having a functioning government at its top notch.
imagine if there is regular supply of power I'm sure ABU won't be spending 600million per annum on power supply alone.
If standard of leaving improve and minimum salary increase greatly for average Nigerians, then raising the school fees might be an option.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Nobody: 7:23am On Nov 25, 2017
optimusprime2:

Do you also know in Germany, Tuition is free in "ALL" public universities?
No matter what, if the government puts priority on Education as a whole... what this vC is complaining about wouldn't be an issue.

Germans pay nearly 50% of their income in taxes for the privilege of free education.You sure you want that?

Plus their GDP is $4.15 trillion[/b]compared to Nigeria's GDP of [b]$1,105.343 billion

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 25, 2017
Walexwisdom:

Everything still boils down to having a functioning government at its top notch.
imagine if there is regular supply of power I'm sure ABU won't be spending 600million per annum on power supply alone.
If standard of leaving improve and minimum salary increase greatly for average Nigerians, then raising the school fees might be an option.

1,We can't have stable power when most Nigerians, including big govt agencies, don't pay their bills at all.(but that is another issue)

2.So, we must wait till standards of living improve, eh? And by then the rich kids with their foreign degrees will be dominating the jobs market.

3.We are not even earning enough from oil sef. And the painful thing is that people steal despite that.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by lailo: 8:14am On Nov 25, 2017
Lilymax:
"Ask students to pay" Aren't we paying enough? From sch fees to handout buying to settling lecturers
I wanted to say something different b4 but bcs u are beautiful,I will leave u.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Nobody: 8:29am On Nov 25, 2017
Mirand606:
The Vice Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University ( ABU ), Zaria, Professor Ibrahim Garba has given reason why Nigerian universities cannot be among the best ranking in the world, saying that, no university can train Oxford counterpart with N20,000 per annum.

The Vice Chancellor stated this at a press conference ahead of the university’s 40th Convocation Ceremony coming up on Saturday.

As part of activities slated for the convocation is a lecture that will be delivered today (Friday) by the Group Managing Director of Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Dr. Maikanti Kachala Baru, while the Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu will chair the session.

However, Professor Garba while speaking on the prospects and challenges of Ahmadu Bello University identified lack of adequate funding as the major challenge of ABU, like its counterparts across the country.

He said, if the Nigerian universities must produce graduates equal to those of Oxford, the government must be ready to fund it or be bold to ask students to pay.

According to him, Our challenge in the university is there is no enough funding. No funding is enough but we are looking for adequacy in funding. For instance, this university spends N50 million monthly on power and government does not give us more than N120 million for over head annually. This money cannot pay my power cost for three months.

“I have 50,000 students with half of them living on campus that I have to provide power and water for. An undergraduate student pays N20,000 as charges for the year and they want to take a degree that is equivalent to that of oxford. Is it realistic? And the government that tells them not to pay does not pay the balance.

“A degree is a product. How much does it take to produce a graduate? How much is the student paying? What is the balance and who pays the balance? If you don’t pay the balance, that person will get a degree that is equivalent to whatever available money is there. There is no miracle about it. That is why the standards are falling.

“Let us not deceive ourselves. There is a cost to everything. If you don’t bear the cost, you take less. We go for Chinese products but the Chinese products will only last for certain number of years. But if you buy a superior product, it last longer. Let us not deceive ourselves. There is no funding in the Nigerian system.

“There are no funds to do research. The lecturers use their small salaries to do research in order to create knowledge to help the society. It is something that is challenging. In ABU, we have 2, 800 academic staff to carter for 50,000 students. If you do a simple arithmetic you will know the student teacher ratio.

“In as much as we want to be seen to be producing quality graduates, the investment is essential and necessary. The Nigerian government certainly is not investing as much as it should in education. We must invest. If you don’t invest, you will never get quality products.

“Investment in education is not a matter of luxury. If you want you must invest. You give universities a pittance to produce the same graduate that you pay 12,000 pounds to train. The more we train, substantial number of them drift away because if you train somebody, it is not even fair on the person to expect that he will come back and not have working tools. That guy will either leave the country or stay and waste. This is a big deal.

“The government must be bold to either fund or ask the students to pay. If you don’t do this, we will continue like this, nobody will come from the USA to intervene by paying the cost of university. And worse of all, you continue to open more universities when you have not funded the existing ones.

“If ABU is challenged with manpower, just imagine what other universities are facing. Even the money that we make we use it augment salaries. And we send our children abroad. We deceive ourselves that our universities are not ranking properly and I ask, if you are to rank the National Assembly against other assemblies in the world, will they rank high? You cannot remove the university from the nation. The same rot we find in the society is also in the universities”, he said.

Speaking on the magic wand of the university’s success story, the Vice Chancellor said, “within our limited resources, we grow more faculties. But we also task the existing faculty more and more. I want people to know that when you see academic staff agitating, this is the problem”.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/thenationonlineng.net/nigerian-varsities-cant-among-world-best-abu-vc/amp/

It's very obvious.

NO SINGLE ASPECT OF NIGERIA IS WORKING.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Nobody: 8:31am On Nov 25, 2017
motikorede:
I believe this man is a schmuck . This is one among saboteurs we have in our country . How can he open his gutter and say student shd pay more , aint we paying enough ?
Likes of him enjoyed free education bak in those days , but they mount burdens on the younger generations so as to fill their pocket ...
According to him " lecturers are using their small salary to execute project " . This man is a lier , " small salary " indeed .... am very sure that , the least lecturers are payed will be nothing less than 150k per mnth .... Tell me is that a small salary ??

Oga u speak out of ignorance. My friend got a lecturing job in Nnamdi Azikiwe university Awka(Anatomy department) and his starting salary was 115k.
State universities actually earn less than that.

Bros u can't pay 100 dollars as school fees and then u want to get the same knowledge an Oxford graduate who paid 50,000 dollars yearly as school fees.

Education is expensive worldwide and there's no country giving out free education in all their universities.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by maynation(f): 8:46am On Nov 25, 2017
barackodam:

30k??

grin grin grin

maybe he's a student of ABU Jaji, you never can tell
Hahaha cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by maynation(f): 8:47am On Nov 25, 2017
Abuklaw:
Of course not! we don't buy hand out here in ABU, you either photocopy the course material or be OYO
Exactly, was surprised to see 30K
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Gr8amechi: 8:48am On Nov 25, 2017
Reading some comments I just weep, we are so quick to make comparison with USA how ever there are several other countries with free education and have very great standards of education, when most people talk about fees in USA, you forget that most of their citizens can school on loan and pay back after graduation also remember that they have a system that you are almost assured of work immediately you graduate but that doesn't translate here in Nigeria. I have Friends who have graduated from big expensive private universities in Nigeria and after 2 to 3 years after graduation they have no job despite paying very high fees,now just imagine you are from a power home and your parents borrow money to train you after paying average of 1,500,000 per session for 4 years and you don't get a job how will you repay, even if you get a job how much will be your salary. If you know your parents are rich enough go and school abroad no one is holding you back but these corrupt professors that all rode on free education and scholarships have no morals to ask govt to increase fees, it's a big sin against humanity. God will help the poor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Covenant University Ranked 36th Fastest Growing Young University In The World / Finanly Kwara Poly Post Utme Is Out / Bus Conveying UNILAG Convocation Gown Vandalised

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.