Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,872 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor (19746 Views)

List Of 18 Professors Vying For ABU's Vice Chancellor Post / Parents Aid Sex-for-marks In Universities – ABU VC, Professor Ibrahim Garba / Top 10 Slowest Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by maynation(f): 8:48am On Nov 25, 2017
Osu175:
throughout my days in abu, i only photocopy books for N2.5k per page.. I swear ABU sweet grin
walahi. cheesy
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Gr8amechi: 8:49am On Nov 25, 2017
Ezigbonmadu:
This is bullshit.

First, the amount paid as tuition by students doesn't determine the quality of education. Take Germany and all Scandinavia countries for instance where tuition is free yet their education is top-notch. You can't blame Nigeria students who shouldn't even pay at all for paying too little

Secondly, how have they spent the little money allocated to them? Can they boldly claim that the government get value for the little amount invested so far? I know many Nigerian lecturers who failed to graduate in UK universities due to poor grades after the federal government have invested millions of Naira each on their education through TETFund. These lecturers get fully funded scholarship from FG that takes care of tuition and maintenance while their salary still get paid in simultaneously, yet most fail. Now they avoid Europe and North America but now prefer Malaysia and co. I guess it's easier to pass there.

More importantly, private sectors in developed countries finance researches, not the government. How many private sector research funding have they as academia in Nigeria attracted over the years? Your guess is as good as mine, they attract almost zero funding. Who is to blame? Obviously it's the Nigeria academia that fail to appeal to the industries.
one sensible post in the whole front page

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by asunmoGGMU(m): 9:10am On Nov 25, 2017
Ezigbonmadu:
This is bullshit.

First, the amount paid as tuition by students doesn't determine the quality of education. Take Germany and all Scandinavia countries for instance where tuition is free yet their education is top-notch. You can't blame Nigeria students who shouldn't even pay at all for paying too little

Secondly, how have they spent the little money allocated to them? Can they boldly claim that the government get value for the little amount invested so far? I know many Nigerian lecturers who failed to graduate in UK universities due to poor grades after the federal government have invested millions of Naira each on their education through TETFund. These lecturers get fully funded scholarship from FG that takes care of tuition and maintenance while their salary still get paid in simultaneously, yet most fail. Now they avoid Europe and North America but now prefer Malaysia and co. I guess it's easier to pass there.

More importantly, private sectors in developed countries finance researches, not the government. How many private sector research funding have they as academia in Nigeria attracted over the years? Your guess is as good as mine, they attract almost zero funding. Who is to blame? Obviously it's the Nigeria academia that fail to appeal to the industries.

You put it well bro. To cap it all, the NUC budget #8m for research and #85m for vehicle purchase. Who is deceiving who? Aside from poor funding, the world of academia needs better brain than the ones they currently house. Some of them carry out research study solely for their promotion and not to better develop the society or improve the frontier of knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by barackodam: 9:13am On Nov 25, 2017
maynation:
Hahaha cheesy cheesy

how our convo dey be naa? smiley
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by asunmoGGMU(m): 9:24am On Nov 25, 2017
ExpressDiggers:

My brother, i am a lecturer. Take it from me, MOST lecturers do no receive anything close to that

Except for GA and AL, kindly tell which categories of lecturer receives less than #150k.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by maynation(f): 9:32am On Nov 25, 2017
barackodam:

how our convo dey be naa? smiley
I have left school since Wednesday , just couldn't wait for Convocation.. How is it going??
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by barackodam: 9:50am On Nov 25, 2017
maynation:
I have left school since Wednesday , just couldn't wait for Convocation.. How is it going??

nibo lo da? undecided

y'know, was on SIWES, I dinnor return to school, still in eko
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Dracoe(m): 10:03am On Nov 25, 2017
Walexwisdom:

And did the person tells you the standard of leaving in the US compare to Nigeria. How do you expect students to pay school fees in hundreds of thousands or millions when some state can't even pay a minimum salary of #18,000.
All we need is a government that function at its full capacity and capital punishment for the looters. then with time, sanity will be restored to our country.
We are still saying the same thing, the current economy of Nigeria and the greedy no do good looters we have as officials in the government are the major causalities.If this two can be put in check,and the fundings are directed to the appropriate channels, our standard of education would be far better.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Ejomax77(m): 10:11am On Nov 25, 2017
These guys keep lamenting that the standard of education in nigeria is falling. Who made it so?... The same people who enjoyed quality education in their sch days made it so.
Lastly, Nigerian universities cannot be world best because, nigeria is a developing country and in a developing country,everything is developing including the universities.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Westrickda652: 10:57am On Nov 25, 2017
But take comfort it is not just Nigeria even South Africa is struggling to fund her 24 heavily subsidized Universities. The son of Uganda president low key just Graduated from AUN, Yola this year quietly while the father is busy deceiving ppl back at home, Strike don nearly finish Makerere University sef. undecided
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by motikorede: 1:48pm On Nov 25, 2017
PrecisionFx:

Oga u speak out of ignorance. My friend got a lecturing job in Nnamdi Azikiwe university Awka(Anatomy department) and his starting salary was 115k.
State universities actually earn less than that.

Bros u can't pay 100 dollars as school fees and then u want to get the same knowledge an Oxford graduate who paid 50,000 dollars yearly as school fees.

Education is expensive worldwide and there's no.country giving out free education in all their universities.

Oh my God , I still find it hard to believe the large numbers of vacuous individuals we still have in this country..
Well , it not your fault anyway , had it been your parents sweat and labored so hard to send you to school ... You'd av understand my points

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by LoveThemChubby(m): 2:22pm On Nov 25, 2017
ct2:
what a world,this man enjoyed free education ooooo
free education provided by who? did even care to read the case the man is making at all?
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 25, 2017
motikorede:

Oh my God , I still find it hard to believe the large numbers of vacuous individuals we still have in this country..
Well , it not your fault anyway , had it been your parents sweat and labored so hard to send you to school ... You'd av understand my points

My mother as a Widow Secondary school teacher laboured for 5 years to put me through school so don't even go there.
I clearly understand ur points, But the truth is that we pay around 100 dollars per year as school fees in Nigeria. U can't pay that and expect to become Albert Einstein. Check well, over 90% of Nigeria degree holders are not employable. Wen they graduate n get a Job, their employee will still spend a lot of money training them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by ct2: 6:23pm On Nov 25, 2017
LoveThemChubby:

free education provided by who? did even care to read the case the man is making at all?
yes I read it
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by optimusprime2(m): 6:41pm On Nov 25, 2017
9jakohai:

Germans pay nearly 50% of their income in taxes for the privilege of free education.You sure you want that?

Plus their GDP is $4.15 trillion[/b]compared to Nigeria's GDP of [b]$1,105.343 billion

So foreigners who school Tuition free in Germany pay 50% of their income taxes as well right?

What has GDP got to do with a balanced educational sector?

Did you know Zimbabwe is the most literate African country yet they have a GDP of 16.29 billion USD, do you also know that as bad as things are there, education is free to a certain level?

Bro how does GDP affect a functional system?
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by LoveThemChubby(m): 8:19pm On Nov 25, 2017
ct2:
yes I read it
I don't think you did. because he said that funding isn't sufficient. They enjoyed free education because education was properly funded that's why he is saying that the govt should take responsibility by either funding the universities well or telling students to pay fees that will enable the universities to function effectively.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by motikorede: 9:33pm On Nov 25, 2017
PrecisionFx:

My mother as a Widow Secondary school teacher laboured for 5 years to put me through school so don't even go there.
I clearly understand ur points, But the truth is that we pay around 100 dollars per year as school fees in Nigeria. U can't pay that and expect to become Albert Einstein. Check well, over 90% of Nigeria degree holders are not employable. Wen they graduate n get a Job, their employee will still spend a lot of money training them.

See this issue is very simple . Lemme start like this .
First , are all students who graduated frm nigerian university rendered useless. Some of our students here even go abroad to utilize their skills and gifts over there. We have millions of African doctors abroad.
The issue is "who really are you " .... Not the school yu graduated from. We have thousands of students who studied at Harvard , Cambridge university e.t.c , but we never hear of them. We never see their work , not even their names . Everything in this life is by destiny.
Secondly , Nigeria is only 57 yrs old compared to America who gained independence in 1776 , the margin is just too much , its incomparable. You can't expect nigerian uni's to be like those of abroad .it takes yrs and time to build something out of nothing.
Do you have any idea of how many reforms , conventions, refurbishments those westerns schools must had passed through.
It not easy to be the best , we have to keep polishing our ways , ideas and thinking
Thirdly , why must nigerian institutions depend on govt allocations and students fees . When they can easily practices " self - sustenance initiatives "
I deducted from your view that " what you pay determines what you get " . Brother , I don't believe in that as for the case of this country
We have thousands student erudite and scholars in different fields of discipline across the country , why can't our govt and school authorities aid these students in utilizing their dreams which will benefit not only their individual self but also the masses . With support and funds, I believe African students have the grace to invent something useful.
Take a look at Harvard university , company like Apple Inc , Microsoft e.t.c are domiciled in the school campus . this alone had not only helped their students but also fetched billions of dollars for the school and their govt.
The thing is " investment " if only Nigerian govt can invest in schools , and school authorities also invest in their students, nobody would be pointing fingers at each other .
but instead , we fight amongst ourselves which concomitance leads to strikes. and this alone wanes our visions and ideas which could have been utilized .
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Kolping: 11:11pm On Nov 25, 2017
Just to set the record straight regarding salaries of lecturers in Federal Universities. The salary scale is not hidden - it is set by the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission (NSIWC). It is available on their website for all to see.

NOTE all figures are before deductions such as tax, pension contribution, etc. The figures below are the GROSS salary so the NET salary (i.e. what you get paid in your bank account) will be less than what is listed below.

Total Emolument, which includes academic allowances and rent:
Graduate Assistant (CONUASS 01) - Entry level for graduates with a Bachelor's degree
Minimum salary = 105,281 Naira per month (i.e. 1,263,377 Naira annually)
Maximum salary after 6 years = 120,647 Naira per month (i.e. 1,447,767 Naira annually)

Assistant Lecturer (CONUASS 02) - Entry level for Master's degree holders
Minimum salary = 120,922 Naira per month (i.e. 1,451,071 Naira annually)
Maximum salary after 8 years = 146,241 Naira per month (i.e. 1,754,902 Naira annually)

Lecturer II (CONUASS 03)
Minimum salary = 137,459 Naira per month (i.e. 1,649,509 Naira annually)
Maximum salary after 8 years = 164,970 Naira per month (i.e. 1,979,640 Naira annually)

Lecturer I (CONUASS 04)
Minimum salary = 173,332 Naira per month (i.e. 2,079,995 Naira annually)
Maximum salary after 9 years = 223,667 Naira per month (i.e. 2,684,010 Naira annually)

Senior Lecturer (CONUASS 05)
Minimum salary = 257,625 Naira per month (i.e. 3,091,505 Naira annually)
Maximum salary after 13 years = 371,292 Naira per month (i.e. 4,455,506 Naira annually)

Reader (CONUASS 06)
Minimum salary = 314,018 Naira per month (i.e. 3,768,221 Naira annually)
Maximum salary after 10 years = 417,062 Naira per month (i.e. 5,004,750 Naira annually)

Professor (CONUASS 07)
Minimum salary = 381,695 Naira per month (i.e. 4,580,349 Naira annually)
Maximum salary after 10 years = 501,680 Naira per month (i.e. 6,020,163 Naira annually)

All Graduate Assistant, Assistant Lecturer and Lecturer II staff earn less than 150,000 Naira per month.
asunmoGGMU:

Except for GA and AL, kindly tell which categories of lecturer receives less than #150k.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by ExpressDiggers: 11:47pm On Nov 25, 2017
asunmoGGMU:

Lecturer 2
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by asunmoGGMU(m): 8:05am On Nov 26, 2017
Kolping:
Just to set the record straight regarding salaries of lecturers in Federal Universities. The salary scale is not hidden - it is set by the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission (NSIWC). It is available on their website for all to see.

NOTE all figures are before deductions such as tax, pension contribution, etc. The figures below are the GROSS salary so the NET salary (i.e. what you get paid in your bank account) will be less than what is listed below.

Total Emolument, which includes academic allowances and rent:
Graduate Assistant (CONUASS 01) - Entry level for graduates with a Bachelor's degree
Minimum salary = 105,281 Naira per month (i.e. 1,263,377 Naira annually)
Maximum salary after 6 years = 120,647 Naira per month (i.e. 1,447,767 Naira annually)

Assistant Lecturer (CONUASS 02) - Entry level for Master's degree holders
Minimum salary = 120,922 Naira per month (i.e. 1,451,071 Naira annually)
Maximum salary after 8 years = 146,241 Naira per month (i.e. 1,754,902 Naira annually)

Lecturer II (CONUASS 03)
Minimum salary = 137,459 Naira per month (i.e. 1,649,509 Naira annually)
Maximum salary after 8 years = 164,970 Naira per month (i.e. 1,979,640 Naira annually)

Lecturer I (CONUASS 04)
Minimum salary = 173,332 Naira per month (i.e. 2,079,995 Naira annually)
Maximum salary after 9 years = 223,667 Naira per month (i.e. 2,684,010 Naira annually)

Senior Lecturer (CONUASS 05)
Minimum salary = 257,625 Naira per month (i.e. 3,091,505 Naira annually)
Maximum salary after 13 years = 371,292 Naira per month (i.e. 4,455,506 Naira annually)

Reader (CONUASS 06)
Minimum salary = 314,018 Naira per month (i.e. 3,768,221 Naira annually)
Maximum salary after 10 years = 417,062 Naira per month (i.e. 5,004,750 Naira annually)

Professor (CONUASS 07)
Minimum salary = 381,695 Naira per month (i.e. 4,580,349 Naira annually)
Maximum salary after 10 years = 501,680 Naira per month (i.e. 6,020,163 Naira annually)

All Graduate Assistant, Assistant Lecturer and Lecturer II staff earn less than 150,000 Naira per month.

Thanks. That shows that the person I quoted was wrong by asserting that MOST of the lecturers earn below #150k. This is where I am driving at.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by asunmoGGMU(m): 8:06am On Nov 26, 2017
ExpressDiggers:

Lecturer 2

Thanks. That shows that the person I quoted was wrong by asserting that MOST of the lecturers earn below #150k. This is where I am driving at.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 26, 2017
motikorede:

See this issue is very simple . Lemme start like this .
First , are all students who graduated frm nigerian university rendered useless. Some of our students here even go abroad to utilize their skills and gifts over there. We have millions of African doctors abroad.
The issue is "who really are you " .... Not the school yu graduated from. We have thousands of students who studied at Harvard , Cambridge university e.t.c , but we never hear of them. We never see their work , not even their names . Everything in this life is by destiny.
Secondly , Nigeria is only 57 yrs old compared to America who gained independence in 1776 , the margin is just too much , its incomparable. You can't expect nigerian uni's to be like those of abroad .it takes yrs and time to build something out of nothing.
Do you have any idea of how many reforms , conventions, refurbishments those westerns schools must had passed through.
It not easy to be the best , we have to keep polishing our ways , ideas and thinking
Thirdly , why must nigerian institutions depend on govt allocations and students fees . When they can easily practices " self - sustenance initiatives "
I deducted from your view that " what you pay determines what you get " . Brother , I don't believe in that as for the case of this country
We have thousands student erudite and scholars in different fields of discipline across the country , why can't our govt and school authorities aid these students in utilizing their dreams which will benefit not only their individual self but also the masses . With support and funds, I believe African students have the grace to invent something useful.
Take a look at Harvard university , company like Apple Inc , Microsoft e.t.c are domiciled in the school campus . this alone had not only helped their students but also fetched billions of dollars for the school and their govt.
The thing is " investment " if only Nigerian govt can invest in schools , and school authorities also invest in their students, nobody would be pointing fingers at each other .
but instead , we fight amongst ourselves which concomitance leads to strikes. and this alone wanes our visions and ideas which could have been utilized .

""are all students who graduated frm nigerian university rendered useless""

Stop confusing issues.
In Nigeria most our graduates are unemployable .
The ones that goes abroad receive a lot of training n put thru exams before they become qualified to work.

"We have thousands of students who studied at Harvard , Cambridge university e.t.c , but we never hear of them.
We never see their work , not even their names "
The irvy league schools produce the richest people on eaerh

THE GRADUATES RICH LIST IN FULL

1) Harvard - 2,964 super-rich graduates worth a total $622 billion - alumni include Bill Gates

2) University of Pennsylvania - 1,502, $242b - including Donald Trump

3) Stanford University - 1,174, $171b - including Tiger Woods

4) Columbia University - 889, $116b - including Barack Obama

5) NYU - 828, $110b - including Martin Scorcese

6) University of Chicago - 658, $144b - including Daniel L. Doctoroff, CEO of Bloomberg

7) MIT - 581, $172b - including William Reddington Hewlett, co-founder of Hewlett-Packard

cool Yale - 568, $125b - including Forrest Mars Jr, grandson of founder of confectionery co.

9) Cornell - 528, $60b - including Al Bernardin, founder of the McDonald's Quarter Pounder

10) Princeton - 508, $70b - including Donald Rumsfeld.

"Everything in this life is by destiny.
Secondly , Nigeria is only 57 yrs old compared to America who gained independence in 1776"

Oga life is not about destiny, What u work for is what u get. This mentality destiny is part of the reasons why Nigeria is such a failed nuisance.

Nigeria has no single aspect that works so don't even talk that Shiit. America got independent wen the world wasn't develop n they led the development n invented so many things to help out mankind. Now Nigeria for 47 years lags behind, Everything we need to develop is available and we couldn't use it to develop our nation.
Zimbabwe n Ethiopia are land locked, they are also far poorer than Nigeria. But they have a national carrier, They have competent rail system, they have working oil refinery and they generate more electricity per head that Nigeria.

""" what you pay determines what you get " . Brother , I don't believe in that as for the case of this country""

Oga Wake up from ur Utopia. The world does not about what u believe.
In the real world no nation gives ALL their citizens free education, u have to fukkin pay for it. Nigeria government is still funding the education system n yet it's trash.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Caseless: 9:45am On Nov 26, 2017
newyorks:
not enough excuse dear prof. curtail sorting wheather in cash or in kind and see students study real hard,after all not all the students must be genius. even oxford university still dey get dullards (class carriers) irespective of the school u will find not so good student.

Nobody 'sorts' in A.B.U. , Zaria. When we hear our colleagues from the south telling us how their friends back home are making good grades by "sorting" , and we wonder how that's possible. It's very difficult in a.b.u. where do you start from? You'll end up in fire if you attempt that in school.

You'll see children of influential Nigerians struggling and some even had to travel out of the country because of frustration. They have the money, but can't see who to "sort".

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Caseless: 9:52am On Nov 26, 2017
Lilymax:
"Ask students to pay"
Aren't we paying enough?
From sch fees to handout buying to settling lecturers
nobody settles lecturer in a.b.u . If you're not hardworking, they deal with you. Lecturers don't sell handouts there, they simply drop it at the photocopy center at the department, where you go to pay a token just to pay get a copy. The lecturer gets nothing from the sale.

School fees ? It's less than 20k in my days..

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by motikorede: 10:52am On Nov 26, 2017
PrecisionFx:

""are all students who graduated frm nigerian university rendered useless""

Stop confusing issues.
In Nigeria most our graduates are unemployable .
The ones that goes abroad receive a lot of training n put thru exams before they become qualified to work.

"We have thousands of students who studied at Harvard , Cambridge university e.t.c , but we never hear of them.
We never see their work , not even their names "
The irvy league schools produce the richest people on eaerh

THE GRADUATES RICH LIST IN FULL

1) Harvard - 2,964 super-rich graduates worth a total $622 billion - alumni include Bill Gates

2) University of Pennsylvania - 1,502, $242b - including Donald Trump

3) Stanford University - 1,174, $171b - including Tiger Woods

4) Columbia University - 889, $116b - including Barack Obama

5) NYU - 828, $110b - including Martin Scorcese

6) University of Chicago - 658, $144b - including Daniel L. Doctoroff, CEO of Bloomberg

7) MIT - 581, $172b - including William Reddington Hewlett, co-founder of Hewlett-Packard

cool Yale - 568, $125b - including Forrest Mars Jr, grandson of founder of confectionery co.

9) Cornell - 528, $60b - including Al Bernardin, founder of the McDonald's Quarter Pounder

10) Princeton - 508, $70b - including Donald Rumsfeld.

"Everything in this life is by destiny.
Secondly , Nigeria is only 57 yrs old compared to America who gained independence in 1776"

Oga life is not about destiny, What u work for is what u get. This mentality destiny is part of the reasons why Nigeria is such a failed nuisance.

Nigeria has no single aspect that works so don't even talk that Shiit. America got independent wen the world wasn't develop n they led the development n invented so many things to help out mankind. Now Nigeria for 47 years lags behind, Everything we need to develop is available and we couldn't use it to develop our nation.
Zimbabwe n Ethiopia are land locked, they are also far poorer than Nigeria. But they have a national carrier, They have competent rail system, they have working oil refinery and they generate more electricity per head that Nigeria.

""" what you pay determines what you get " . Brother , I don't believe in that as for the case of this country""

Oga Wake up from ur Utopia. The world does not about what u believe.
In the real world no nation gives ALL their citizens free education, u have to fukkin pay for it. Nigeria government is still funding the education system n yet it's trash.

Bro , I comprehend your point and I appreciate the intellectualism .However , I still dnt agree with them totally.
Earlier on , you listed some successful individuals who graduated from those western schools. Bro, I bet you , apart from those we actually know, you can't count how many Nigerians who also graduated from that same school.
The thing is , Nigerians are " apostate ". Many of our successful individuals send their children abroad to study . They believe schools here don't have what it takes to train their wards. This is wrong , we neglect our things here and go elsewhere to develop another .
I believe strongly that , if you turn dangote today you will never allow your ward to attend nigerian university.
Do you have any idea how much Americans generates from foreign students. They believe that what we have in our country can't sustain us , so we need to port .
Bro , instead of developing another man 's country , why not let us sit down and discuss a way forward to our country predicaments.
A solution where we don't need to gage students with fees. One where everybody would be at ease and tranquility .
I am nigerian , so do you, because that's the identity a foreigner give to us . Forget all that shit about " richest alumni in the world " .... With unity and cooperation, we stand a better chance of being great one day .
Mind you , hope you know nigeria still has no contemporary in the entire Africa. That compliment " giant of Africa " is not a mere joke . Nigeria payed cape verde military and their entire civil servant for two years ... I dnt need to count all this achievements cos I believe you knw most of them .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 26, 2017
motikorede:

Bro , I comprehend your point and I appreciate the intellectualism .However , I still dnt agree with them totally.
Earlier on , you listed some successful individuals who graduated from those western schools. Bro, I bet you , apart from those we actually know, you can't count how many Nigerians who also graduated from that same school.
The thing is , Nigerians are " apostate ". Many of our successful individuals send their children abroad to study . They believe schools here don't have what it takes to train their wards. This is wrong , we neglect our things here and go elsewhere to develop another .
I believe strongly that , if you turn dangote today you will never allow your ward to attend nigerian university.
Do you have any idea how much Americans generates from foreign students. They believe that what we have in our country can't sustain us , so we need to port .
Bro , instead of developing another man 's country , why not let us sit down and discuss a way forward to our country predicaments.
A solution where we don't need to gage students with fees. One where everybody would be at ease and tranquility .
I am nigerian , so do you, because that's the identity a foreigner give to us . Forget all that shit about " richest alumni in the world " .... With unity and cooperation, we stand a better chance of being great one day .
Mind you , hope you know nigeria still has no contemporary in the entire Africa. That compliment " giant of Africa " is not a mere joke . Nigeria payed cape verde military and their entire civil servant for two years ... I dnt need to count all this achievements cos I believe you knw most of them .

Nigeria is a failed project, Don't talk about giant of Africa. We know who the giants are in Africa.

Nigeria is very poor. She cannot even give clean water supply to citizens.

Pls don't try to hype Nigeria as if everything Is fine.

As per education, Its stupid to make it free. Nigeria has done that in the past n we couldn't sustain it.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Kolping: 6:02pm On Nov 26, 2017
@asunmoGGMU - You're welcome. Only 42.8% of lecturers (i.e. three out of the seven academic posts) earn below 150,000 Naira a month.
asunmoGGMU:

Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by motikorede: 10:04pm On Nov 27, 2017
PrecisionFx:

Nigeria is a failed project, Don't talk about giant of Africa. We know who the giants are in Africa.

Nigeria is very poor. She cannot even give clean water supply to citizens.

Pls don't try to hype Nigeria as if everything Is fine.

As per education, Its stupid to make it free. Nigeria has done that in the past n we couldn't sustain it.

Bro , you have been perfecting your debate with me with intellectualism and shrewdness , but with what you intuit recently , I now know that you are big ignoramus . One who doesn't even know how dignifying his status is as being a nigerian .
You said Nigerian is a failed project right ? . Now , let enumerate few out of Nigeria copious achievements for you .
Aint you aware Nigeria helped south Africa with their apartheid posture in 1948 against the whites. We helped them with gigantic supports and funds , we gave them military support no other country could ever release , we gave them hope and shelter , but in turn , what did we get as a payback , they killed us , they extricate , torture and deported our people . Oga aint you aware of this ??....
Do you know that when civil war broke out in Angola in 1975 , Nigeria helped mobilised it diplomatic influence in Africa in support of the popular movement for the liberation of Angola " PMLA " . That support helped to stabilized the country.... Do you knw of this

The regime of obasanjo donated $20 million to the govt of zimbabwean in 1978 to support the latter's movement against the apartheid movement of rhodesia .
We also sent a mechanisrd military to zimbawean in 1975 to helped sir Robert mugabe and Joshua Nmoko to help their fight against their colonizers
Your country whole heartedly gave the bakassi penisular to the cameroom in 2002 to quash the rivalry between them , we also release thousands of camroonian prisoners in 1998 to boast our relationship with the former.

Our president PMB went for the general assembly of heads of state of UNO , he didn't even mention one of our concurrent problems here in Nigeria , he instead implored the organization to look into the Genocide going on in Rohingya , Mayyamar .... Do you know of this
In the entire Africa , a nigerian took the 1st , 2nd , 4th richest and the margin they set with their contemporary in terms of riches is not a joke thing.
You said we don't have light , well I won't really blamed you for making that utterance . Do you think it a simple for 158 tribes to live together and co-habit , Nigeria is the only state that has this large numbers of tribes living together , quote me wrong if you wish . If not for our corupt leaders , Our electricity would have stabilized long ago .
We are the 7th most populous country in the world. If you think Nigeria will never get back on it feet , then my brother , you are actually a pessimist .
You talked about education . My guy wake up ,Nigeria has the highest number of astute and people of great intelectualism in. Africa likes of , mike Aigbe , wole soyinka , Sir Achinua Achebe e.t.c ..
We have great universities and colleges here.Nigerian is just like American to Africa
Tough our per capita income is down currently but our GDP still has no contender in the whole Africa . Do you see why we are GIANT OF AFRICA

Bro , know facts before you talk . likes of you need to go back to secondary school to be enlightened . I hate it when people speak ill of my country. When I saw your replies yesterday , I was so livid that I couldn't think well , and my BA3 was down then plus am very busy . Please try as much as possible to be current and corrigible , you will learn a lot
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Nobody: 10:29pm On Nov 27, 2017
motikorede:

Bro , you have been perfecting your debate with me with intellectualism and shrewdness , but with what you intuit recently , I now know that you are big ignoramus . One who doesn't even know how dignifying his status is as being a nigerian .
You said Nigerian is a failed project right ? . Now , let enumerate few out of Nigeria copious achievements for you .
Aint you aware Nigeria helped south Africa with their apartheid posture in 1948 against the whites. We helped them with gigantic supports and funds , we gave them military support no other country could ever release , we gave them hope and shelter , but in turn , what did we get as a payback , they killed us , they extricate , torture and deported our people . Oga aint you aware of this ??....
Do you know that when civil war broke out in Angola in 1975 , Nigeria helped mobilised it diplomatic influence in Africa in support of the popular movement for the liberation of Angola " PMLA " . That support helped to stabilized the country.... Do you knw of this

The regime of obasanjo donated $20 million to the govt of zimbabwean in 1978 to support the latter's movement against the apartheid movement of rhodesia .
We also sent a mechanisrd military to zimbawean in 1975 to helped sir Robert mugabe and Joshua Nmoko to help their fight against their colonizers
Your country whole heartedly gave the bakassi penisular to the cameroom in 2002 to quash the rivalry between them , we also release thousands of camroonian prisoners in 1998 to boast our relationship with the former.

Our president PMB went for the general assembly of heads of state of UNO , he didn't even mention one of our concurrent problems here in Nigeria , he instead implored the organization to look into the Genocide going on in Rohingya , Mayyamar .... Do you know of this
In the entire Africa , a nigerian took the 1st , 2nd , 4th richest and the margin they set with their contemporary in terms of riches is not a joke thing.
You said we don't have light , well I won't really blamed you for making that utterance . Do you think it a simple for 158 tribes to live together and co-habit , Nigeria is the only state that has this large numbers of tribes living together , quote me wrong if you wish . If not for our corupt leaders , Our electricity would have stabilized long ago .
We are the 7th most populous country in the world. If you think Nigeria will never get back on it feet , then my brother , you are actually a pessimist .
You talked about education . My guy wake up ,Nigeria has the highest number of astute and people of great intelectualism in. Africa likes of , mike Aigbe , wole soyinka , Sir Achinua Achebe e.t.c ..
We have great universities and colleges here.Nigerian is just like American to Africa
Tough our per income is down currently but our GDP still has no contender in the whole Africa . Do you see why we are GIANT OF AFRICA

Bro , know facts before you talk . likes of you need to go back to secondary school to be enlightened . I hate it when people speak ill of my country. When I saw your replies yesterday , I was so livid that I couldn't think well , and my BA3 was down then plus am very busy . Please try as much as possible to be current and corrigible , you will learn a lot

I swear, I don't read up to 3% of ur Epistle.

''"Aint you aware Nigeria helped south Africa with their apartheid posture in 1948 against the whites""

How does the above show that Nigeria is not a failed project.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by motikorede: 10:44pm On Nov 27, 2017
PrecisionFx:

I swear, I don't read up to 3% of ur Epistle.

''"Aint you aware Nigeria helped south Africa with their apartheid posture in 1948 against the whites""

How does the above show that Nigeria is not a failed project.

Failed project bawo ..... Please give your reasons for that
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by Nobody: 8:24am On Nov 28, 2017
motikorede:

Failed project bawo ..... Please give your reasons for that

Nigeria is a failed state.
We do not have a national carrier.
We don't have food security.
We don't have access to clean water, which is the cheapest basic amenity.
We have had power problem for decades.
We don't have a competent rail transport.
We have very useless universities n over 80% of Nigerias degree n HND holders are unemployable.
We are not mining our crude oil, Expatriate companies do mine our crude oil and take 40% of the crude oil as running cost.
We have so many useless hospitals, Nigerians keep running to India, Germany, America etc for medical treatment.
The so called giant if Africa are yet to defeat few thousand boko haram members has become a life time problem.
We have gold, Nickel, silver, almost unlimited coal reserves, Steel, copper, Aluminium, etc. And yet we are not mining anybif them.

We have Very fertile land(mostly in southern nigeria) and yey we import billions if dollars worth of food yearly.

The list is endless.
Re: Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor by motikorede: 2:41pm On Nov 28, 2017
PrecisionFx:

Nigeria is a failed state.
We do not have a national carrier.
We don't have food security.
We don't have access to clean water, which is the cheapest basic amenity.
We have had power problem for decades.
We don't have a competent rail transport.
We have very useless universities n over 80% of Nigerias degree n HND holders are unemployable.
We are not mining our crude oil, Expatriate companies do mine our crude oil and take 40% of the crude oil as running cost.
We have so many useless hospitals, Nigerians keep running to India, Germany, America etc for medical treatment.
The so called giant if Africa are yet to defeat few thousand boko haram members has become a life time problem.
We have gold, Nickel, silver, almost unlimited coal reserves, Steel, copper, Aluminium, etc. And yet we are not mining anybif them.

We have Very fertile land(mostly in southern nigeria) and yey we import billions if dollars worth of food yearly.

The list is endless.

I just wnt stop laughing as am reading your note . The way you scorn Nigeria is far too much than a chauvinist foreigner.
1. We don't have a national carrier .
Lolz .... atleast our political parties and their representatives have their manifestos, and most of this documents each contains auspicious rudiments which will bolster our nation and also propel us off with their different agendas. Didn't buhari and Jonathan accost us with their different agendas in 2015 .... Bro , that's where a national carrier starts from .
2. We don't have food security
I can't believe you just said that. Well lemme clarify something to you . Nigeria produce 78 % of its food resources . " nuts , rice , onion , cassava , sweet potatoes ,wheat , orange , meat e.t.c " from the north ....
" water melon , melon , carrot , tomatoes , corn , yam , seasonings ,vegetables e.t.c from the East .
" cocoa , cotton , pepper , fish , cassava , red potatoes , maize , ground nut , pear , beans , sorgium , millet , e.t.c from the west .
Oga what are you telling me , Nigeria is the most sufficient state in Africa .
3 . We don't have access to clean water
Oga please hold it there . Just say that there is no water in the place you are living . come to badagry here , you will even get tired of drinkable water . See , all hands are not equal . How can you use kano to justify ibadan . Every place has what it has in abundance . There is enough clean water in Nigeria to circulate us all .
4 . We don't have power supply
I think you don't read newspaper oftentimes . As of two month ago , the incumbent minister for power and housing said Nigeria had wasted 8 trillion naira from 1999 till now because our corrupt leaders are embezzling the funds and siphoning it into their private Acct . If this could only stop , we would enjoy uninterrupted power for eternity.
5 . We don't have competent rail transport
When last have you been to jigawa , ebonyi and ibadan , what will you say about the 600km rail which is currently in use and others still in construction.
6 . We have very useless university .
You know we were arguing about education before we rolled into " nigeria's issue " , I think it high time we went into it again .
What will you say about unilorin , unilag , uniben , funnab who yearly produce experts and best students in medicine with first class degrees. What of futa who where recently honored with honorary excellence and 16 of their students sent abroad for research expedition . What of lasu who produce every the overall best in law .
Oga what are you telling me , Nigerian universities have no contender in the whole Africa , we are just too Formidable !
7 . We don't mine our crude oil
everything has its time . Atleast dangote is currently on the project of two refineries . Just wait and see , Nigeria will soon be richer than qatar
8 . We have so many useless hospital
Are we not the cause of predicaments. Here in Nigeria , the belief is that , when there is money , even if it is ordinary headache , the solution is in abroad !!! .... If only we can utilize our things , why wnt our hospitals be better .
Another problem is over taxation . When govt over burden those private hospital . The hospitals will therefore take their revenge from the poor masses . They over charge or have their payments paid before they treat people which sometimes leads to the patient's death .
Infact , we have more black doctors than the whites abroad . They abandoned Nigeria because most of them also have this pessimistic mind set like yours that Nigeria would never be better .
9 . We can't defeat boko haram
How are we going to defeat them when we have so many spies , saboteurs and betrayer in the govt . We would never defeat them if we don't cooperate and learn to tolerate eachother .

Brother , no matter how the case might be , Nigeria still remains the GIANT OF AFRICA and no great person will live and won't have some painful experiences. With what I deduct from our recent debates , I see you are not an history person . Please do learn and try to defend your country . Tough we are facing hard time , that doesn't open the avenue for you to speak ill of your father's land .

I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian !!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Professor Oloyede Remits N5Billion JAMB Fund To FG As Nigerians Hail Him / The Most Precious Resource You Must Learn To Use Smartly To Avoid Being Poor / Covenant University Ranked 36th Fastest Growing Young University In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 177
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.