Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,988 members, 7,825,068 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

What Exactly Is Mixing And Mastering?: Got Knowledge ?share It.! - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / What Exactly Is Mixing And Mastering?: Got Knowledge ?share It.! (1343 Views)

What Exactly Is Afrobeat? / Baad Pikin Vol 1 Cd Song Download Links /mixing And Mastering Service / Where Exactly Is Unilag Fm? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Is Mixing And Mastering?: Got Knowledge ?share It.! by ofokaofoki: 8:43pm On Mar 25, 2010
ok a lotta dudes here make beats hell yeah, you think you are sick , we know .! but
but all of them have a generic problem which is
1. how to mix ,
2. how to make the beats sound like all instruments are playing in harmony,
3. how to make sure no single instrument is louder than the other,
4. How to maintain frequencies .
i have met a lotta prodcuers who have crap mixing , knowledge they say is light and no individual is an island of knowledge , we in nairaland have been learning a lot about production and shit lately ,
this thread is only for people with something relevant to contribute,
no diversion no digression , no el razur piece of argument and shit
the topic is MIXING AND MASTERING BEATS
THE PROFESSIONALS POINT OF VIEW.

bouzymill, obinna and co who have ideas should come inside. tell us about mixer effects and shit grin grin
Re: What Exactly Is Mixing And Mastering?: Got Knowledge ?share It.! by ElRazur: 8:51pm On Mar 25, 2010
I thought your class on how to make beats should at least cover this?

Right. The mask is starting to slip off right? **The street is watching**
Re: What Exactly Is Mixing And Mastering?: Got Knowledge ?share It.! by ElRazur: 9:09pm On Mar 25, 2010
The first idea of mixing is to visualise where the arrangement of the instruments are. For example, a drum track should be mixed and panned the same way a real drum will look like. I.e Kicks in the middle, snare on the right, hi hats on the left etc.

With the addition of more tracks it gets tricky, but one will need to play around with this and find a working formula. In my case, I have found that "spreading out the tracks" on the pan and mix levels helps a lot.

Mastering requires a different approach. After finalising the mix down, the tracks are usually exported to a mastering suite where they are further improved on i.e converting from 44.1hz to say 96. This will make some of the oscillating synth etc sound punchier and better, and then mixed down and panned accordingly, this is my understanding, but I am yet to give this section a hands on approach.

On top of that, you need good ears and good equipment. No point having doing a mix down or mastering if all you have is an ipod earphone or something basic.
Re: What Exactly Is Mixing And Mastering?: Got Knowledge ?share It.! by sweetguy10(m): 3:08am On Mar 26, 2010
Elrazur , My name is tunde I have been reading Most of your Post on here , Are you a Producer ?? I want to learn How to use fruity Loops and reason , And some Mixing bla bla blas , Can we meet ? Or can we get to Hook Up ?? my email is tuntoppp2000@yahoo.com , Pls get back to me I am waiting to hear from you , I need it before i go to school ,

Tunde

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is Mixing And Mastering?: Got Knowledge ?share It.! by ElRazur: 7:27am On Mar 26, 2010
Before you run your trash talk again, pause for a second and actually understand my post. As with most beat making, there are elements of mixing. I.e pan some stuff to the left, right or dead centre. Add a certain level of reverb, delay, etc. These are just basics of beat making.

Surely, if you are teaching people how to make beats this are just some of the basics and must know?

Besides, I contributed to the thread, but as usual you will rather talk trash instead. Good luck.
Re: What Exactly Is Mixing And Mastering?: Got Knowledge ?share It.! by ElRazur: 7:49am On Mar 26, 2010
My post is on topic and add to the thread at hand. Unlike you, I do not talk trash, and that you find hard to deal with it. Perhaps you should take you own advice and quit posting trash in every thread? Just a thought.

In the mean time, you may want to check out this book it can be helpful

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mixing-Mastering-Leonard-Recording-Method/dp/1423430530/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1269586077&sr=8-1-fkmr0
Re: What Exactly Is Mixing And Mastering?: Got Knowledge ?share It.! by ofokaofoki: 12:04pm On Mar 27, 2010
[size=18pt]MIXING INTRODUCTION LECTURE 1.[/size]

If everything in a mix is close to the front and they are given the same eq (power) then you are going to have a problem because everything will be trying to compete for attention (all instruments , drums and fx effects ) the human brain is noted for intolerance when asked to concentrate on too many things at the same time . In a musical environment this leads to brain /ear fatigue and u may not want to listen to anything anymore. EQ can place sounds in perspective with vocals and solo voices at the front, support melodic instruments behind them, and sound effectx at a distance .A mix is like a painting if all the colours are too bright , there is no way the human eye can distinguish btw all colours. This leads us to frequencies ,

if high frequency affects the promixity or closeness of a sound, then low frequency will seem to have a more subliminal subtle soft effect.This is why repetitive sound, melodies usually include a lot of low frequencies.
You can have a deep bass sound playing which may add excitement to ur beat, without drawing ur attention away from which sound should be placed in front in ur mix. if u want to hear what i mean just pick up any instrumental and listen to it without the vocal , u will notice that all instrumets appear to be playing in an empty acoustic room where there is still space for other instruments to fit in. the achievement is this is to ensure that all ur instruments and even drums do not pass a certain decibel level DB level when mixing ,. if it passes the db level then some will sound louder than the other, u may not notice this cause u may be playing on ur normal speaker which cannot separate or distinguish among various sounds. most people using headphones will hear sounds close to their ear because the phone is placed on top of their ears,, but in actual sense u wouldnt hear each single instrument playing in the mix. which is why it is not advisable to mix with headphones .

This is just an introduction , as i progress with the mxing lecture i will be looking at what various fx effects in the fruity loops mixer does. eg parametric eq, multiband compressor, sound goodizer, phaser ,spectrum , flanger , reverb etc .

make i go chop first. grin waiting patiently for the bastiid el razur to come in here and playerhate.
Re: What Exactly Is Mixing And Mastering?: Got Knowledge ?share It.! by Elvisway(m): 10:17am On Nov 17, 2012
Mixing is simple if u undastand frequency ranges of instrument by using parametric equalizer to spot out sweet spot of d instrument, also d instruments shuld be pan wel(kick nd baz at d centre). In mixing u use ur ear to judge, fx shuld b use wen need and each channel shuld b atmost -3db in order to avoid climpin and to hv headroom for mastering. I wil b back for more. For ur mixing and masterin hala m at 08062091799. Elvisway productn
Re: What Exactly Is Mixing And Mastering?: Got Knowledge ?share It.! by Elvisway(m): 10:22am On Nov 17, 2012
Mixing is simple if u undastand frequency ranges of instrument by using parametric equalizer to spot out sweet spot of d instrument, also d instruments shuld be pan wel(kick nd baz at d centre). In mixing u use ur ear to judge, fx shuld b use wen need and each channel shuld b atmost -3db in order to avoid climpin and to hv headroom for mastering. I wil b back for more. For ur mixing and masterin hala m at 08062091799. Elvisway production

(1) (Reply)

10 Worst Albums In 2010. Disagree? / NEW VIDEO: Chukwu Agozigo Gi By Ill Bliss / TUPAC Greatest Hits-- Best Of 2PAC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.