Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,225 members, 7,815,284 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? (4358 Views)

Nigeria Vs Sudan: Afcon Qualifiers (3 - 1) On 15th October 2014 / 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh / Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by hollandis(f): 5:01am On Mar 26, 2010
I watched Stoichkov's goal in the USA 94 first group match NIGERIA VS BULGARIA,though we won by 3 goals to nil,i am still bewildered as to why the referee disallowed an all but important First half goal by bulgaria legend,hristo stoichkov.In the match he was awarded a free kick and he scored a beautiful goal,if the referee had allowed that goal ,we might not have had that famous victory(or maybe not).

People have come up with all manner of answers and it centered on direct or indirect free kick,i feel the ref had an axe to grind against bulgaria because if no answer to this question exists ,i will be forced to believe that the ref awarded us that match,or fifa played politics.I have watched free kicks being scored by CR7,JAYJAY, PAUL GASCOIGNE,THIERRY HENRY etc,though it was placed at opposite end of the field. Recall okochas goal against west ham?the free kick was similar except that why one was towards the left side of the field ,the former had his ball placed to the right side,and since the distance to goal was almost similar ,i reckon that okocha' goal shouldn't have been allowed because hristo scored a similar goal which the ref immediately disallowed.(without battling an eye lid)

If no answer exists,i will be left with no option other than to halt any form of hype to the SE squad.
Re: Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by medjai(m): 6:21pm On Mar 28, 2010
still a mystery to me. we wont have won that game had that goal been awarded. Bulgaria eventually won third place.
Re: Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by naso2(m): 9:13am On Mar 29, 2010
I think someone said it was meant to be an indirect kick, but stoichkov took it directly. Why it had to be an indirect kick beats my imagination though.
Re: Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by hollandis(f): 11:09am On Mar 29, 2010
medjai:

still a mystery to me. we wont have won that game had that goal been awarded. Bulgaria eventually won third place.
na_so:

I think someone said it was meant to be an indirect kick, but stoichkov took it directly. Why it had to be an indirect kick beats my imagination though.
It confirms my suspicion that Nigeria never did well in the world cup,Will not do well in S.A 2010 and wil never do well in subsequesnt world cup whatsoever tongue
Re: Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by HNIC(m): 1:31pm On Mar 29, 2010
na_so:

Really,
I also don't know why it had to be an indirect free kick, but if you watch again, the ref indicated for the kick to be taken 'indirectly',Stoichov thought otherwise.
hollandis:

It confirms my suspicion that Nigeria never did well in the world cup,Will not do well in S.A 2010 and wil never do well in subsequesnt world cup whatsoever tongue

Come on
We lost narrowly to the Argies in the 2nd match and destroyed Greece in the 3rd match.
We led Italy for 88 minutes and were only beaten by a Baggio penalty.
For debutants, that was a fantastic world cup and probably the best we've ever had at that level
Voted 2nd best entertaining team at the tourney!

3 Likes

Re: Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by Sauron1: 3:50pm On Mar 29, 2010
hollandis:

If no answer exists,i will be left with no option other than to halt any form of hype to the SE squad.

The referee clearly gave an INDIRECT freekick, referees do that when they raise their arm up.
Stoichkov's stupidity got the better of him and he took it directly = DISALLOWED GOAL.
Re: Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by deb(m): 4:28pm On Mar 29, 2010
Yeah I remember it was disallowed and I was so elated even though I could not fathom the rational behind
the disqualification but who gives a damn when the decision was to my advantage lol.
Re: Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by Katsumoto: 4:52pm On Mar 29, 2010
~Sauron~:

The referee clearly gave an INDIRECT freekick, referees do that when they raise their arm up.
Stoichkov's stupidity got the better of him and he took it directly = DISALLOWED GOAL.

Correct

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by naso2(m): 11:49am On Mar 30, 2010
Another twist is, I think (not sure) if a player decides to shoot an indirect kick like stoichkov did and he is lucky to have the ball hit any other player(even the opponent) before entrying the net, then it can be counted for a legitimate goal.

In stoichkov's case Rufai somehow got a finger on the ball, hence the goal should have counted.

Anyhow the way wey our boys dey para that day, we for still beat them.
Re: Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by galatico(m): 2:33pm On Mar 30, 2010
The referee said it's an indirect free kick while stotchkov disobeyd himand played it direct into the net that's the reason the referee had to disallow the goal .
Re: Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by pak: 10:42am On Jan 28, 2015
hollandis:
I watched Stoichkov's goal in the USA 94 first group match NIGERIA VS BULGARIA,though we won by 3 goals to nil,i am still bewildered as to why the referee disallowed an all but important First half goal by bulgaria legend,hristo stoichkov.In the match he was awarded a free kick and he scored a beautiful goal,if the referee had allowed that goal ,we might not have had that famous victory(or maybe not).

People have come up with all manner of answers and it centered on direct or indirect free kick,i feel the ref had an axe to grind against bulgaria because if no answer to this question exists ,i will be forced to believe that the ref awarded us that match,or fifa played politics.I have watched free kicks being scored by CR7,JAYJAY, PAUL GASCOIGNE,THIERRY HENRY etc,though it was placed at opposite end of the field. Recall okochas goal against west ham?the free kick was similar except that why one was towards the left side of the field ,the former had his ball placed to the right side,and since the distance to goal was almost similar ,i reckon that okocha' goal shouldn't have been allowed because hristo scored a similar goal which the ref immediately disallowed.(without battling an eye lid)

There are some infringements that warrants and indirect free kick rather than a direct one regardless of the position of the foul or the distance from which it was taken.
Obstruction and a goalkeeper handling a back pass are examples of such an offence.

If a player scores an indirect free kick, it is disallowed. So no politics here.
Re: Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by mackfame: 11:50am On Jan 28, 2015
When is a free-kick indirect?

With an indirect free-kick, you obviously have to pass before you can shoot.

But when are these free-kicks awarded?

When, in the opinion of the ref, a player:

Impedes the progression of an opponent (obstruction)
Plays in a dangerous manner
Prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands
Or when a keeper, inside their own penalty area:

Holds on to the ball for more than six seconds
Handles a back pass
Handles the ball after receiving it from a team-mate direct from a throw-in
Touches the ball again with their hands, before it is touched by another player, after releasing it from their possession

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4200994.stm

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by omar22(m): 2:47pm On Jan 28, 2015
hollandis:

Hmmm
Re: Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by 42n8dzydoo(m): 4:19am On Dec 31, 2022
naso2:
Another twist is, I think (not sure) if a player decides to shoot an indirect kick like stoichkov did and he is lucky to have the ball hit any other player(even the opponent) before entrying the net, then it can be counted for a legitimate goal.

In stoichkov's case Rufai somehow got a finger on the ball, hence the goal should have counted.

Anyhow the way wey our boys dey para that day, we for still beat them.

Rufai had no contact with the ball..
https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/watch/t0THMJ2yY7aBIMT0LXGLr?cid=(p_go-box)(c_FIFAPlus)(sc_archive)(ssc_)(da_)(co_)(cc_)&s_cid=(co_)(cc_)&c=(c_FIFAPlus)(sc_archive)(ssc_)(cc_)&pid=(p_go-box)(ch_)(t_)
Re: Why Did The Referee Cancel Stoichkov 'freekick'goal Nigeria Vs Bulgaria Usa 94? by Iko5000: 1:22pm On Dec 31, 2022

What a stupid comment ,It's a Nigerian squad period and yes I'm from the SE

hollandis:

(1) (Reply)

Colt Fans / SECRET Of How To Make Over N100,000 Naira Every Single Month Using My 2.0+ Odds / My Nigerian Football XI Of All Time!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.