Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? (2261 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo’s 9 ‘Bodyguards’ At Shiloh 2019 Spark Controversy Online / Rev Lucy Natasha: Bodyguards, Security Details Of Kenyan Female Pastor (Photos) / Apostle Suleman: "Disciples Of Jesus Were Armed, Were His Bodyguards'' (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? by newsynews: 5:21am On Nov 26, 2017
With the wicked system of things in this world coming to an end, mankind is beginning to witness a climax of wickedness. Many humans have been brainwashed to the extent that they fear and revere their pastors more than God. They are now quick to defend the obvious evil and wrongdoings of these pastors.

One can find pictures of some Nigerian pastors surrounded by armed security men on the internet. Recently, one became viral that it caused a debate between Christians. I was so sad to see many Christians coming to the defence of the pastor who had armed bodyguards around him. The annoying thing is that they claim Jesus also had bodyguards and that his disciples played that role. Is that true? Let's see about that.

The instances they usually give are the events when the woman with the issue of blood struggled to touch the garment of Jesus cos the crowd around him was much, and also Peter cutting off the ear of one of those that came to arrest Jesus before he was crucified. This narration makes me wonder how such equates to Jesus having bodyguards. I'll like to ask such people one question.

What was the purpose of Jesus Christ on earth?

If these people truly have a bit of Christianity in them, then they will say he came to DIE for our sins. If he came to die for our sins, don't you think hiring and keeping bodyguards was equal to preventing himself from fulfilling that purpose?

Let's look at Peter whom they love to refer as one of the bodyguards of Christ. When Jesus was explaining to his disciples how he will be killed in Jerusalem, satan spoke through Peter giving him this mindset of a bodyguard. What did Jesus do?.

Mathew 16:21-23
21 From that time Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised.
22 And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, “Far be it from you, Lord! This shall never happen to you.”
23 But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! YOU ARE A HINDRANCE TO ME. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.”
Re: Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? by newsynews: 5:23am On Nov 26, 2017
Did you take note of Peter's statement "far be it from you lord, this shall never happen to you"? That was Peter trying to take up a role he wasn't called for. That role is to prevent Jesus from facing any harm part of which is dying. But Peter wasn't called by Jesus to play such a role. When Jesus called him, he was told that he will be a Fisher of men, not a bodyguard. If Jesus had called him to be a bodyguard, then it means Jesus was preventing himself from fulfilling the purpose of dying for our sins. Let's see how Jesus reacted when Peter tried to take up the bodyguard role.

DId you take note of the words "You are a hindrance to me"? Jesus knew that anything that will prevent him from fulfilling that purpose of dying was something he should never keep close to him. Peter's satanic inspired protective role was one of them. That's why he rebuked the devil that inspired Peter.

This same Peter refused to understand Jesus. When Roman soldiers came to arrest Jesus, he was the one that pulled a sword to strike the ear of one of the men.

John 18:10-11
Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.)
Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?

Jesus' statement here shows he knew why he was on earth. If his disciples were his bodyguards, he would have been glad of what Peter did. But no, he wasn't. He cautioned him and went ahead to heal the man hurt by one of his alleged bodyguards.

Apart from the 12 disciples, jesus also had others and many followers. If he wanted to be saved from the arrest, would it have been possible? No, cos those disciples fled. Do bodyguards flee leaving behind the man they are paid to protect? Even the over zealous Peter denied Jesus 3 times. It was at that point that Peter knew that he wasn't called to be a bodyguard.

Luke 22:33-34
33 Peter said to him, “Lord, I am ready to go with you both to prison and to death.”
34 Jesus said, “I tell you, Peter, the rooster will not crow this day, until you deny three times that you know me.”
Re: Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? by newsynews: 5:24am On Nov 26, 2017
To clearly put it that Jesus didn't have bodyguards but followers, let's read the verse below.

John 18:36
Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place."

Did his alleged bodyguards fight to prevent his arrest? No, they fled cos they were far from such.
How come people of today claim that pastors have the right to have bodyguards cos Jesus also had? Such people have been deceived by the pastors with lies. I wonder which bodyguard goes ahead to die for a man that had died and resurrected years back. Almost all the disciples were killed after Jesus was crucified. Those men lived their lives preaching the words of God. They went through thick and thin, from courtroom to prisons and to getting flogged before being murdered.

Now, the armed bodyguards your pastor walks around with, how many of them preach the gospel? How many of them go about healing people in the name of the pastor? How many of them will be willing to lose their life for the pastor years after the pastor dies?

Your pastor is obviously not called by God. If he were, he won't be afraid of death just as Jesus and his disciples weren't afraid of death. What he will have are followers, not men with guns and bullet proof with him riding in convoys of bullet proof and siren-blairing SUVs. Such a man is not a follower of Jesus Christ cos his true followers are willing and have been giving their life for him, not saving and protecting it.

http://www.purplefeel.com/2017/11/disciples-jesus-christ-bodyguards.html?m=1
Re: Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? by princeade86(m): 6:02am On Nov 26, 2017
No
Re: Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? by MhizzAJ(f): 7:31am On Nov 26, 2017
His disciples were more like bodyguards
And there's nothing wrong in a man of God having bodyguards
Re: Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? by Hiccups: 7:45am On Nov 26, 2017
shocked

The Apostles of Christ were no way bodyguards, rather they were learning from Him, so as to take over from Christ as the Foundation of the church. Christ wouldn't want Bodyguards as foundation of church. Secondly, Christ repeatedly told Apostles the importance of denying themselves everything to follow him while promising their reward is in heaven, No bodyguards waits to get to heaven to get paid.
Re: Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? by enilove(m): 7:53am On Nov 26, 2017
How would you feel if your pastor is kidnapped or killed by the Islamic extremists or ritualists ?

Most houses don't have gates about 100 years ago , even the doors were wodden , but things have changed drastically nowadays.
Re: Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? by blackmantis: 8:00am On Nov 26, 2017
when a pastor wear a patek wristwatch. Gucci suit and designer shoes cruising the latest model rolls Royce. With a private jet to his name. He needs security.

These pastors have been overcome by the lust of their eyes..... the lust of their flesh.. ..and the pride of life.

The simple life of Christ is not for them
Re: Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? by OtemSapien: 8:35am On Nov 26, 2017
Zeusus Krista and his disciples were bodyguards to one another. They all fought the Farhesis and other antagonists together.
Re: Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? by alBHAGDADI: 9:41am On Nov 26, 2017
enilove:
How would you feel if your pastor is kidnapped or killed by the Islamic extremists or ritualists ?

Most houses don't have gates about 100 years ago , even the doors were wodden , but things have changed drastically nowadays.

So, you mean Christianity has changed now, Abi?

Why are your pastors scared of facing the same kind of fate the disciples of Jesus face? Even Jesus Christ faced the same thing. Or are they above Jesus Christ?

John 15:20

Remember what I told you: 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.

If they killed Jesus and his disciples, then a true follower of Jesus will know that such is likely to happen to him. He will embrace it with happiness just as Stephen and all the other apostles did. But no, they are protecting themselves from such, thereby forgetting the words of Jesus.

Mathew 10:39
GOD'S WORD® Translation)

"The person who tries to preserve his life will lose it, but the person who loses his life for ME will PRESERVE IT".
Re: Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? by RuddyFusion(m): 9:49am On Nov 26, 2017
God knows HIS own...And will judge accordingly
Re: Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? by alBHAGDADI: 10:37am On Nov 26, 2017
lalasticlala
Re: Were The Disciples Of Jesus Christ His Bodyguards? by alBHAGDADI: 3:14pm On Nov 26, 2017
MhizzAJ:
His disciples were more like bodyguards
And there's nothing wrong in a man of God having bodyguards
You are a church goer but not a Bible reading Christian.

lalasticlala Seun mynd44 pls move this educative thread to FP

(1) (Reply)

The Anti-christ Guess Who It Is! / Where Is The One And Only Logicboy... / How To Make Your Man Stick To You Like Glue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.