Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,387 members, 7,819,396 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Worldly Godly - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Worldly Godly (776 Views)

Have Worldly, Crazy Dance Steps Crept Into Churches? / Will Listening To Worldly Music Make A Christian Go To Hell? / A Godly Christian Lady Doesn't Wear High Heels - Evangelist Akande (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Worldly Godly by Henitan24(f): 8:03am On Nov 26, 2017
This is how many church folks think today. They want to be worldly and yet godly. I call them worldly godly.

So, who are the worldly godly 'Christians'? Oh, they are very easy to spot. They are the ones who judge Christians by worldly standard rather than by godly standard, and they usually think they make sense doing so. I'll give you a few examples.

* Bill Gates owns a private jet, why can't Bishop Oyedepo own a jet too?

* Ebuka wore an Agbada sewn for 280k, why can't pastor Biodun of COZA wear a $1,200 US Dollar wear?

* Celebrities and Sports Stars own exotic mansions and cars, why shouldn't Christians own exotic mansions and cars? Etc.

Most of those who make these rationalizations usually argue that God doesn't wish poverty and suffering for Christians. But that is a dishonest argument.

The point here is not whether Christians should be poor and suffer. The real issue is whether Christians should judge themselves by the same standard as folks in the world or not. The answer is simply 'No'.

You see, church folks who talk that way miss the major hallmarks of the life of Christ and His Apostles - Moderation and Modesty.

The Scripture says that Jesus was rich but He became poor for our sakes so that we might be rich. Apostle Paul would traverse the entire ancient Asia Minor just to make sure that none of the saints lacked anything material and spiritual. He stated once that 'I have learnt to abound and abase'. He worked as a tentmaker and literally stripped himself naked for saints in the local churches who lacked. He could have spent his incomes on expensive jewelries and accessories from Rome and Greece just to prove that His God wasn't poor. Paul didn't. He became poor for the sake of other poor saints.

Comparing the Christian with world achievers or putting both on equal moral pedestal is a very bad theology. It demonstrates a dire misunderstanding of the apostolic culture.

The Church is supposed to be 'a Special People', 'a Royal Priesthood', 'a Holy Nation', 'a People belonging to God...to show forth His Praise'. We are not regular. We are not secular. We are supposed to be a break from the secular norm.

Any Christian who justifies opulence and excess on the premise that 'others do it' is a theological disgrace. He might as well argue that;

* Niki Minaj dances pantless and braless on stage, why can't Christians do same?

* Yahoo boys drive exotic automobiles from fraud money, why can't Christians enjoy same?

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? That's exactly what you sound like when you make comparisons between secular achievers and Christians.

You cannot be worldly and godly. You must choose one. Choose a struggle. Worldly godly is an oxymoron.

I know that God is not poor. He owns everything. But in Christ He chose to identify with poverty so that others might be rich.

He is GOD! He could have been born in a Palace but He chose a Manger. He is GOD! He could have enrolled Himself in the best Scholarship in Ancient Greece but He chose Carpentry. He is GOD! He could have chosen 12 Richest Men on Rome's Forbes' List as Disciples but He chose 12 Nonentities as Disciples.

Everything about God in Human Flesh speaks Moderation and Modesty.

Owning a private jet among 110 Million Destitutes is neither moderate nor modest.

Wearing a Gucci Wear worth $1,200 in a country where Youth Unemployment is between 60-70% is neither moderate nor modest.

You are not Christ's Ambassador. You are His Headache.

You are not godly. You are worldly. You are worldly godly.

#truthissacred

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Worldly Godly by jaszplus12(m): 6:36pm On Dec 23, 2017
interesting!
so many who want to have their cake and still eat it are bound to gag when they read this! unfortunately the trappings of opulence and social status doesn't accommodate scripture purity!

3 Likes

Re: Worldly Godly by mimopel(f): 8:39pm On Dec 30, 2017
Wonderful piece sis...so rare n truthful
In another news @Henitan24...the below is for u

Good evening....we have Christian WhatsApp group for single brothers n singles...where will come together to pray study the word of God, co unsel one another on wat God wants in a Godly relationship and those who want to find their spouse can find a Godly spouse...if u are interested pls send ur WhatsApp number to my direct mail mimopel450@yahoo com

Or WhatsApp Daniel 08038261313....to book an interview God bless us

U can also quote this post with ur number
Re: Worldly Godly by blessedvisky(m): 7:36pm On Mar 07, 2018
Henitan24:
This is how many church folks think today. They want to be worldly and yet godly. I call them worldly godly.

So, who are the worldly godly 'Christians'? Oh, they are very easy to spot. They are the ones who judge Christians by worldly standard rather than by godly standard, and they usually think they make sense doing so. I'll give you a few examples.

* Ebuka wore an Agbada sewn for 280k, why can't pastor Biodun of COZA wear a $1,200 US Dollar wear?

* Celebrities and Sports Stars own exotic mansions and cars, why shouldn't Christians own exotic mansions and cars? Etc.

Most of those who make these rationalizations usually argue that God doesn't wish poverty and suffering for Christians. But that is a dishonest argument.

The point here is not whether Christians should be poor and suffer. The real issue is whether Christians should judge themselves by the same standard as folks in the world or not. The answer is simply 'No'.

You see, church folks who talk that way miss the major hallmarks of the life of Christ and His Apostles - Moderation and Modesty.

The Scripture says that Jesus was rich but He became poor for our sakes so that we might be rich. Apostle Paul would traverse the entire ancient Asia Minor just to make sure that none of the saints lacked anything material and spiritual. He stated once that 'I have learnt to abound and abase'. He worked as a tentmaker and literally stripped himself naked for saints in the local churches who lacked. He could have spent his incomes on expensive jewelries and accessories from Rome and Greece just to prove that His God wasn't poor. Paul didn't. He became poor for the sake of other poor saints.

Comparing the Christian with world achievers or putting both on equal moral pedestal is a very bad theology. It demonstrates a dire misunderstanding of the apostolic culture.

The Church is supposed to be 'a Special People', 'a Royal Priesthood', 'a Holy Nation', 'a People belonging to God...to show forth His Praise'. We are not regular. We are not secular. We are supposed to be a break from the secular norm.

Any Christian who justifies opulence and excess on the premise that 'others do it' is a theological disgrace. He might as well argue that;

* Niki Minaj dances pantless and braless on stage, why can't Christians do same?

* Yahoo boys drive exotic automobiles from fraud money, why can't Christians enjoy same?

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? That's exactly what you sound like when you make comparisons between secular achievers and Christians.

You cannot be worldly and godly. You must choose one. Choose a struggle. Worldly godly is an oxymoron.

I know that God is not poor. He owns everything. But in Christ He chose to identify with poverty so that others might be rich.

He is GOD! He could have been born in a Palace but He chose a Manger. He is GOD! He could have enrolled Himself in the best Scholarship in Ancient Greece but He chose Carpentry. He is GOD! He could have chosen 12 Richest Men on Rome's Forbes' List as Disciples but He chose 12 Nonentities as Disciples.

Owning a private jet among 110 Million Destitutes is neither moderate nor modest.

Wearing a Gucci Wear worth $1,200 in a country where Youth Unemployment is between 60-70% is neither moderate nor modest.

#truthissacred

Lalasticlala, Mynd44
I'm impressed......
Re: Worldly Godly by Trustme2(m): 8:19pm On Mar 07, 2018
This should ordinarily make front page. I'll make case for its front page on Sunday. Christians must be able to draw a line between worldliness and Godliness as it relates with biblical perspective of prosperity

1 Like

Re: Worldly Godly by christprisoner: 8:44pm On Mar 07, 2018
@ op, after reading this beautiful piece, b4 concluding on my choice of response! had to quickly visit some of ur comments/post........... Sincerely, i've got loads of question for u!!!!!!! By d way i am among d elected awaiting d glorious arrival of MY LORD
Re: Worldly Godly by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:28pm On Mar 07, 2018
Henitan24:

#truthissacred

Lalasticlala, Mynd44

God bless you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Worldly Godly by Sultan5(m): 11:46am On Mar 28, 2018
Another brilliant piece Henitan24

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Worldly Godly by bellong: 5:09am On Nov 18, 2018
Beautiful piece...

The church of this age is no longer after the old time religion. The present church is nothing different from the church of the Laodiceans described in Rev 3:14-19.

Sadly, if we don't repent, the judgement for that church will come upon the present day church..

"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy unclothedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see."

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Are Jehovah’s Witnesses Tolerant Of Other Religions? / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 08/01/18 / Islam, Usman Dan Fodio And Jihad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.