Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:56 PM

A Nuclear Free World? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / A Nuclear Free World? (815 Views)

Is Overthrowing The Syrian Government Worth Risking A Nuclear War With Russia? / Putin To The West: Don't Mess With A Nuclear-armed Russia. I Smell War. / Is The US Planning A Nuclear False Flag Attack??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nuclear Free World? by alicianna(f): 5:41pm On Mar 26, 2010
Will the world ever be free of nuclear power OR is president Obama just a dreamer?  What's your take on this?

Here's an excerpt from his speech in Prague.

"Now, understand, this matters to people everywhere. One nuclear weapon exploded in one city -– be it New York or Moscow, Islamabad or Mumbai, Tokyo or Tel Aviv, Paris or Prague –- could kill hundreds of thousands of people. And no matter where it happens, there is no end to what the consequences might be -– for our global safety, our security, our society, our economy, to our ultimate survival.
Some argue that the spread of these weapons cannot be stopped, cannot be checked -– that we are destined to live in a world where more nations and more people possess the ultimate tools of destruction. Such fatalism is a deadly adversary, for if we believe that the spread of nuclear weapons is inevitable, then in some way we are admitting to ourselves that the use of nuclear weapons is inevitable.
Just as we stood for freedom in the 20th century, we must stand together for the right of people everywhere to live free from fear in the 21st century. (Applause.) And as nuclear power –- as a nuclear power, as the only nuclear power to have used a nuclear weapon, the United States has a moral responsibility to act. We cannot succeed in this endeavor alone, but we can lead it, we can start it.
So today, I state clearly and with conviction America's commitment to seek the peace and security of a world without nuclear weapons. (Applause.) I'm not naive. This goal will not be reached quickly –- perhaps not in my lifetime. It will take patience and persistence. But now we, too, must ignore the voices who tell us that the world cannot change. We have to insist, "Yes, we can." (Applause.)
Re: A Nuclear Free World? by JeSoul(f): 5:02pm On Mar 29, 2010
My take on this is simple.

I don't believe Obama believes a word of what he is saying. It is the politically correct thing to say/do, esp to improve our rep all around the world. Nuclear-free world? . . . lol, yeah right.
Re: A Nuclear Free World? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Mar 29, 2010
He should remember America has strong enemies.
Re: A Nuclear Free World? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Mar 29, 2010
never going to happen. Russia, Israel, North Korea will never give up their nukes.
Re: A Nuclear Free World? by chic2pimp(m): 10:06pm On Mar 29, 2010
No Chance In Hell Of That Happening
Re: A Nuclear Free World? by dayokanu(m): 10:22pm On Mar 29, 2010
Its a good concept for the environmentalist though not realistic
Re: A Nuclear Free World? by agathamari(f): 11:06am On Mar 30, 2010
will never happen, so long as countries like Russia sell off old warheads to the highest bidder

obama is a great speaker, its the follow through that needs work.
Re: A Nuclear Free World? by TPS360: 1:28am On Apr 02, 2010
Who is fooling who here , Dont have a clue abt oBama's NUClear agender but i can say here that Russia will not go below 1000 nuclear war heads, lai lai, they are praying for round 2 if you know what i mean,

(1) (Reply)

Leaked: Us Mastermind Syria Protest / New Interim Libyan Prime Minister Named:abdel-rahim El-kib / Alqaeda Promotes Democracy In Syria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.