Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,417 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:12 AM

Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story (35546 Views)

Competency Test: Kaduna State Sacks NUT President, 2,356 Other Teachers / El-rufai Shares Pictures Of Test Scripts Conducted For Kaduna Teachers - Pics / Kaduna Releases List Of Teachers Who Scored 75% In Competency Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Fourwinds: 4:56pm On Nov 28, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

The teachers might be incompetent like some University lecturers .

But this is not a primary school test.

is that so

Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 28, 2017
gtrust:

You don't just go and set useless exam paper and use it to embarrass people simply because you're governor.
There must be "standards".
They have to start by setting up a teachers' college and get their standardized exams to re-test teachers or do it more professionally by asking teachers to attend CPD programs! CPD = CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM.

This whole thing is so 3rd world!

Listen my friend, the standard is those who failed the test are not suppose to be in the teaching business period.
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by OBAGADAFFI: 5:08pm On Nov 28, 2017
thedondada:

Just saw this. Agreed it's not primary school exams.

Sitting here I can answer all those questions without fail. Using your common sense imagine teaching aid can't be explained by a teacher.

Like an engineer who doesn't know what cantilevered means.

I clearly wrote .The teachers might be incompetent like some University lecturers .

But those are not primary school exams.

1 Like

Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by rajiraymond(m): 5:13pm On Nov 28, 2017
Well done!
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by OlujobaSamuel: 5:25pm On Nov 28, 2017
Fourwinds:
thank you for your mature responds...no one can just come online and throw trash to my face...I disagree with this post...
I noticed that the writer was trying so hard to be objective, but his biased lens was too visible to ignore.
I was expecting to see images or pdf of some of the scripts, not just the analysis.
@all that are against the governor on this, I want us to know that this is the major reason they are holding us down, they destroy the foundation, send the foundation move to secondary, they know the foundation is so poor, they send their kids to private foundation, then elite secondary(kings college, queens college, gci, etc) or private secondary, a kid with very poor foundation will find it difficult to meet the required score for the elite sch entrance exam, then move to elite tertiary, private or abroad, they come back with good skills to man the system, the cycle continues, products of that very poor foundation must fill a slot as there cant be a vaccum, they fill up places where they cant be productive, they dish out nonsense, from schools to banks, from sports to middlelevel governance, etc, since they know the foundation gave us nothing, they know we cant fight for something, so they gave us what they wish to, like 1derica of rice, 2yards of ankara, face-cap, etc so we dont question them about right or wrong, but accept their actions as a privilege and not as one thaf deserves better.

3 Likes

Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Fourwinds: 5:30pm On Nov 28, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:

I noticed that the writer was trying so hard to be objective, but his biased lens was too visible to ignore.
I was expecting to see images or pdf of some of the scripts, not just the analysis.
@all that are against the governor on this, I want us to know that this is the major reason they are holding us down, they destroy the foundation, send the foundation move to secondary, they know the foundation is so poor, they send their kids to private foundation, then elite secondary(kings college, queens college, gci, etc) or private secondary, a kid with very poor foundation will find it difficult to meet the required score for the elite sch entrance exam, then move to elite tertiary, private or abroad, they come back with good skills to man the system, the cycle continues, products of that very poor foundation must fill a slot as there cant be a vaccum, they fill up places where they cant be productive, they dish out nonsense, from schools to banks, from sports to middlelevel governance, etc, since they know the foundation gave us nothing, they know we cant fight for something, so they gave us what they wish to, like 1derica of rice, 2yards of ankara, face-cap, etc so we dont question them about right or wrong, but accept their actions as a privilege and not as one thaf deserves better.
you have said it all

2 Likes

Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Fourwinds: 5:32pm On Nov 28, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

I clearly wrote .The teachers might be incompetent like some University lecturers .

But those are not primary school exams.
they contain some elements of primary school questions

Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Peterwins(m): 5:53pm On Nov 28, 2017
Education have been seriously neglected by the government at all levels especially at the primary schools. What is required is a holistic approach to solve the numerous problems plaguing education, some of which include:

1. Human capital development (Training and retraining of teachers with adequate salaries and allowances).

2. Infrastructure (Public schools should be built and maintained with dignity and not as poultries)

3. All politicians, civil and public servants should be compelled to have their children educated at public schools (with a view to having the right policies towards education). What's the essence of avoiding public schools and later seeking to be employed in government MDAs and/or seeking to be elected into public office. It should be considered as a yardstick going forward.

The future generation (represented by these children in primary schools) deserve the best in education or else we might be faced with greater security challenges in the future.

"The goal of education is not to increase the amount of knowledge but to create the possibilities for a child to invent and discover, to create men who are capable of doing new things''.- Jean Piaget

''Early childhood education is the key to the betterment of society'' - Maria Montessori
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by OBAGADAFFI: 5:54pm On Nov 28, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:

Well, the problem is not the teachers, but the System that produced those teachers.

When you have Quota System and catchment area in Education, do not expect quality.

Ironically, another set of unqualified and incompetent teachers will replace these teachers for political reasons.

1 Like

Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by gtrust: 6:04pm On Nov 28, 2017
Xda59:

Listen my friend, the standard is those who failed the test are not suppose to be in the teaching business period.

This is how "dictatorship" starts!
Tomorrow it might by your relative.
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by GoldHorse(m): 6:05pm On Nov 28, 2017
You can help some of the sacked teachers by employing them as lesson teachers for your children and also encourage your family and friends to do same since, from your lengthy explanation, you believe they are competent. undecided
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by kayowalemi(m): 6:06pm On Nov 28, 2017
Do I still need to bribe the Olodo tisa

Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Earthrealmlord: 6:07pm On Nov 28, 2017
How many of our Governors will pass competency test in Administration ?

The state of the Nation speaks volume about Leaders
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by BabbanBura(m): 6:07pm On Nov 28, 2017
donconior:
lies from pit of hell, they failed woefully don't come and celebrate mediocrity here, the governors action is well commendable. you may do better to review some of the scripts.

sticks is a teaching aids

then chalkboard could also be ranching aid?

The questions on that script do not look like those for primary 4 exam - this further shows there is more to all we are being made to believe
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Timbi: 6:08pm On Nov 28, 2017
These questions cannot be found in primary 4 curriculum. A primary 4 pupil cannot answer these questions.

Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by BabbanBura(m): 6:10pm On Nov 28, 2017
Timbi:
These questions cannot be found in primary 4 curriculum. A primary 4 pupil cannot answer these questions.

they are only trying to achieve an aim and forcing a justification to that - there is more to FAILURE's, oops!ELRUFAI's claim
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Smooyis(m): 6:16pm On Nov 28, 2017
EDUCATION BUDGET OF AFRICAN COUNTRIES
1. Ghana ------------------ 31.0%
2. Coted'ivore -------------30%
3. Uganda ----------------- 27%
4. Morocco ---------------- 26.4%
5. South Africa ----------- 25.8%
6. Swaziland -------------- 24.6%
7. Kenya ------------------- 23.0%
8. Botswana -------------- 19%
9. Tunisia ------------------17%
10. Lestotho --------------17.0%
11. Burkina Faso --------16.8%
12. Nigeria ----------------7% (2018 Budget)
The standard stipulation for budgetary provision for education by UNESCO for a country is at least 26 per cent. Just Ghana, Ivory Coast, Uganda,
Morocco and closely South Africa are meeting the target as the list here present.

If you value development in Africa now, you will discover that holistically, those countries are at the top. This is because as you are developing education, you are developing other sectors. Every sector of a nation economically, politically and socially is governed by educational skills.

The quality of a government and good governance is determined by educational skills that are technology and character based. If standard is maintained without compromise, the same will reflect in the sociopolitical and economic system in the nearest future.

Israel was only 65 resident population when the league of nations, now UN created it, decades ago. Now they have turned into a super power, because they regard education as the software needed for turning a desert into arable agricultural landscape from which chemical and other
related industries will emerge. Through education they have been able to develop the best libraries and laboratories to research and solve national problems.

The power and protection they enjoy under tensed and volatile neighbourhood is based on the quality of citizens they produce from their quality educational institutes. The same is applicable to Japan troubled by natural disasters record ing about 1000 earthquakes in a year. Still they are stronger than those grooving oil resources and awoof arable land.

For a country aspiring for sustainable development, education must be that "let there be � light" thing that needs to be encouraged before picking up the merchant, pen, hoes, hammer and other tools. Without that, you will only be working in a dark room without vision.

That is why the former British PM once said: "my number one agenda for Britain is education:
2. Education
3. Education
4. Education"

On these lies the power of life in all areas. Education is Light to education sector, light to mining, light to electric power, light to agriculture, light to finance and labour, light to petroleum, light to transport and others, above all, light to leadership, capacity and system building.

Nigeria is the only country in the world where quality education is fought and good governance is expected to emerge. The only country where peanut is provided for education and expect economic boom and social development to happen. The only country where incompetence is encouraged by a cutoff mark that is not uniform nationwide yet is not corruption. The only country where children should hawk during school hours and nothing is wrong about it.

A country where a spiritual man has right to kill a Solomon and yet nothing happens because he's above God.

The treachery that hinders development is
in the education budget and its adequate management. You have your Bible and Qur'an as Holy Books and the most precious gift to you because God wants to educate you
first before any assignment.

Do you know more than God who has given you a book as the most precious..... and calls Himself 'the Word"?

What does a � book symbolize? Education of course....

It's a pity the lowest paid job in Nigeria is teaching..... and I don't see that hope for Nigeria except they screw for the better. The most respected person in the Jewish community is a Rabbi, which means teacher. The mentor to a president, governors, senators, ministers, captains
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Chetimah(m): 6:20pm On Nov 28, 2017
ATIKU BOY, WHY YOU WAIT TILL NOW Lie lie everywhere....OUR EDUCATION NEEDS REFORM
peeps4u:

https://www.thecable.ng/kaduna-teachers-competency-test-untold-story?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C8473054665
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Godsonkemz(m): 6:38pm On Nov 28, 2017
Op you did well by investigating into this and saving people from losing their jobs.
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by mekyno777(m): 6:42pm On Nov 28, 2017
Lomprico2:

Shut up! They are teachers, and dat exam standard is suppose to be for their pupils, they should be scoring at least 95%. angry
pls modify ur post and add my idea if possible.
I will lyk El-rufai, incollabration with NUT and WAEC, to reduce the passing/cut-off mark to 40/50 percent but let him set standard questions that matches their level/qualification, which will be SS 2 or SS 3 questions (WAEC), not primary 4 questions let me see if 100 of them can pass it.
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by OlujobaSamuel: 6:44pm On Nov 28, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

Well, the problem is not the teachers, but the System that produced those teachers.

When you have Quota System and catchment area in Education, do not expect quality.

Ironically, another set of unqualified and incompetent teachers will replace these teachers for political reasons.
yes, it's not their fault, just a beneficiary of the system, however, I support any action (not anyone as they are all the same) that tries to address the system.
On the incoming ones, let's keep our fingers crossed, I dont trust any, but I try to give benefit of doubt.
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by yasolan(m): 6:46pm On Nov 28, 2017
This thing should spread to his nose so he would see it, who does 75% as pass mark, even in the university system 70% is A grin
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by adefolarinwa01(m): 6:51pm On Nov 28, 2017
I wonder how someone sane can compare West African Standard to a primary 4 exam. Stupidity at its highest regard. Please when did West African examination begin to compare with a local government standard examination? I don't believe sacking them is the solution but anything below 75% should be regarded as a fail with regards to the "exam". This sadly isn't a standard for a teachers training examination at best much more the "supposed" graduates who impact into the kids. What the hell are they now impacting?! Sad...just sad.

1 Like

Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Actuarydeji(m): 6:58pm On Nov 28, 2017
Why do we like to support the wrong things in this country!! This is just primary four questions! Imagine! Anyway na una people dey go the school Sha, continue advocating for the stupid teachers.
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Danchibez: 7:07pm On Nov 28, 2017
joedams:
This is some major information. As much as I support the competency test, I think the Kaduna state government should look into this

Be quit. Don't u kn that that test is primary 4 scheme of work? So a teacher with SSCE or even NCE certificate can't comprehend such test, what a shame!!
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by 234GT(m): 7:08pm On Nov 28, 2017
El rufai simply wants to sack these teachers so he can be stealing their monthly salaries.
If he sacks them, he is not going to employ replacements, or at best, he would employ his party faithfuls who are far less competent than these ones he wants to sack.
May thd devil in his infinite wickedness punish ElRufai. Amen in Jesus name.

1 Like

Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by adekhingz(m): 7:18pm On Nov 28, 2017
donconior:
lies from pit of hell, they failed woefully don't come and celebrate mediocrity here, the governors action is well commendable. you may do better to review some of the scripts.

sticks is a teaching aids

then chalkboard could also be ranching aid?

This was the only script we've seen so far. Let the state release all other scripts, let us see.
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by MightySparrow: 7:23pm On Nov 28, 2017
Clueless APC government. This same systems was going to rubbish teachers in Ekiti state by their ' competence test' Another government came motivated the teachers. The result is that twice now the same condemned teachers produced first position of NECO exams in two consecutive years.

El - Rufai should go and learn from Fayose.
Or the state should sack him as their governor, he HSS nothing meaningful to offer.
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Richman15: 8:31pm On Nov 28, 2017
The Exam Questions given to the Teachers, is it WAEC Standard? I learnt that it is Primary 4 Questions, so, how can you expect WAEC Grading Standard?
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by jaychubi: 9:20pm On Nov 28, 2017
verygudbadguy:
I don't think Elrufai was wrong to have pegged the cut off mark at 75. If truly it was a primary four test question, any sound teacher should get atleast 90%.

Spot on the analysis of op is dumb

For a teacher sitting for primary 4 exam pass mark shld ve been 90%, using waec grading system here shld nt apply. Nevertheless the teachers shld reapply n prove themselves in the new recruitment.

I am sure nt up to 1% of the teachers will score 40% if given standard waec examination. U want to use waec standard to grade primary 4 test written by teacher, dts unacceptable
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Enryking(m): 10:52pm On Nov 28, 2017
Re: Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story by Enryking(m): 10:56pm On Nov 28, 2017
peeps4u:

https://www.thecable.ng/kaduna-teachers-competency-test-untold-story?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C8473054665

Recently, Kaduna State Governor was quoted saying about 21,780 out of 33,000 Kaduna State teachers failed primary four test conducted by the state government to know the ability of the teachers. Questions were drawn from different areas with only that of religious knowledge teachers set focusing ontheir subjects.

To be fair to both the governor and primary school teachers, I decided to keep mute until I lay my hands on the scoresheet of the competency test, which I was privileged to get last week. While going through the scoresheet, I discovered that, unlike 33,000 teachers mentioned by the governor, 34,197 (4,940 Arabic/IRK, 1,638 CRK and 27,629 other subjects) teachers actually wrote the competency test (Table 2).

As howled by many, the cut-off mark set by the Governor as pass mark did not comply with West African Standard Grading System where acceptable Credit mark starts from 50% not 75% as used by the governor (Table 1). If we take this standard grading system as the ideal situation, from the scoresheet, it can be deduced that; of the 34,197 teachers, 31,102 (91%) passed while only 3,095 (9%) failed the competency test. However, if we decide to stick to the governors cut-off mark, going by the categorization in the summary from the attached scoresheet, it can be deduced that 17,473 (51%) of the 34,197 teachers scored 70 – 100% while 16,724 (49%) failed according to him. In addition, to arrive at the number El-Rufa’i was quoted saying they failed his test, there are 5,056 teachers who scored 70 – 74% and are also categorized as failed by him.

In every sane system, we expect that whenever a test of this nature was conducted, there will be those who will pass overwhelmingly, those who will be within average and those who will fail completely. In this case, what I expected the Governor to do, while still going by his cut-off mark (75%), is to take these categories and acted thus:

1. The 12,417 teachers who scored at least 75% should be retained.

2. The 18,685 teachers who scored 50 – 74% should be subjected to extensive training and re-tested after which if they failed to improve, should be redeployed to other available places to work.

3. The 3,095 teachers who scored 0 – 49% should be redeployed or sacked as the Governor deem fit.

WRONGLY TOTALLED SCORES
After obtaining the scoresheet of Kaduna State’s controversial Competency Test, I decided to verify marks obtained by each participant starting with that of Arabic/IRK Teachers in Zaria Local Government. There are five questions whose marks are distributed thus; Question 1 carries 40 marks while Questions 2, 3, 4 and 5 carries 15 marks each. These, if totaled, will give you 100 marks.

While verifying the scoresheet, on the very first record, I discovered that the Total did not speak to the individual marks obtained for each question. That is, the person scored 38/40, 09/15, 13/15, 12/15 and 14/15 in questions 1, 2,3, 4 and 5 respectively. Applying simple arithmetic of 38+9+13+12+14 will give you total of 86% marks obtained not 72% as recorded for same person.

Following this, I decided to focus on those with low marks and to my surprise, 99.9% of their marks were wrongly computed. I then stopped at the fifth page after discovering that 45 (See table 3) out of the 161 records had this same problem and almost all of them turned out score at least 75% but were wrongly recorded to have scored less than 75% which puts them at ‘Failed” category.

With this, I will like to call on NUT officials of all the 23 LGAs to sit down and follow their scoresheet diligently and painstakingly verify the summation. This will drastically bring down the failure rate.

To Governor El-Rufai, I will like to draw your attention to this and recommend that you punish the consulting company you hired to conduct this test for making you portray our dear state bad in the eyes of the world using wrong statistics.

In addition, it will be nice if you ask another firm to verify simple summation of the marks obtained in order to get correct proportions.

Finally, I wish to categorically state that you owe good people of Kaduna State undiluted apology for painting us black where we are not.

Pictures of the first 5-pages of Zaria LGA Arabic/IRK Teachers scoresheet are attached for public consumption. All the 45 records I verified are indicated therein. Anybody who wishes to, can do the totals to further confirm my claim.Kaduna State still remains “Center of Learning”!

https://www.thecable.ng/kaduna-teachers-competency-test-untold-story?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%

TRASH!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fresh Benue State University Graduate Celebrates. People React / LASU Vice Chancellor Receives Riot From Students As Birthday Gift (photos/video) / 2015/2016 Federal Polytechnic Ede Post-utme/ Admission Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.