Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,421 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! (8363 Views)

Mcdonalds Vs Mr. Bigg's / McDonalds: They're Tired Of Eating There But Can't Stop! / I'm Loving This Food Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by LePhilippe(m): 3:26pm On Feb 24, 2007
Well, finally we don't have to chow down on Mr. Biggs or the likes in Nigeria anymore because McDonald's is coming to Nigeria. Where? The Tinapa Resort of course. I can't wait for it's grande opening in April!! I think it's going to Abuja as well, to Heritage City!!
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by Eastcoast(f): 9:33pm On Feb 24, 2007
Wow, that is good to know. But come to think of it, Mr. Bigg's is very good enough. I don't think we need Mikky Dee in naija rather, we need restaurants that would sell our local delicacies to the world. Why must we always import all these western cultures?
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by LePhilippe(m): 9:53pm On Feb 24, 2007
Nah we need these sort of eatries in Naija. We need restuarants which tourist are familiar with!!!
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by Tmoni(m): 2:10am On Feb 25, 2007
there is nothing fascinating about micky D, infact Mr biggs has better stuff, and i mean it

their burger is awful and their chips are soooo tiny, u almost cant find them
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by omogenaija(f): 2:12am On Feb 25, 2007
thats cool . Naija is moving on up. but i wonder how they are going to price the food. i hope it will be afordable.
it shouldnt be expensive b/c McDonalds isnt a big deal . but i hope nigerians in nigeria enjoy it.
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by Ndipe(m): 3:53am On Feb 25, 2007
How cool is it that Mcdonalds is establishing a franchise in Naija? The health risks associated with eating their burgers, vis a vis, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity is not, I repeat, is not worth it. We should not embrace every Western product. I

Ironically, while some people are comfortable with the expected arrival of Macdonalds at Tinapa, the health department in the USA is excoriating our Nigerian dishes like palmoil, garri, fufu, because they are fattening, has high cholesterol and also contains transfat. I wish the Health department in Nigeria would also issue out a warning to its citizens, not as a punitive measure against the US government, but to reduce the cases of diabetes and other risk that comes with consuming mickeedee.

1 Like

Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by egoldman(m): 4:06am On Feb 25, 2007
Macdonalds also serve Indian foods here alongside imported ones , i think they could do same in Nigeria too,by the way i would like a link to this story if possible .

1 Like

Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by 50kobo: 3:33am On Feb 26, 2007
@ ndipe , please tell them oh!!!!

I dont know why we are celebrating McDonald's entrance to Nigeria!!!! We dont need McDonald! Let us celebrate our own!

@omogenaija, im worried by ur statement "naija is moving on up" How does fatty food makes us move up? you mean up the weighing scales?

Philippe the tourists don't need resturants they are familar with. A typical tourist travels to experience other people's culture (food including). What is the point going to China and eating a McDonald burger . I'd rather eat authentic Chinese food!!!

1 Like

Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by omogenaija(f): 3:37am On Feb 26, 2007
i say moving on up as in there will be a resturant that isnt nigerian . so the ppl who live in naija would always have to eat eba, alama etc, yea its fatting but how much of nigerian food is healthy anyways . ppl just cant eat mcdonalds everyday then it will be harmful . also when i go to nigeria and i dont like the food that is available to me i would be happy to know that i have another option.
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by Ndipe(m): 4:19am On Feb 26, 2007
@omogenaija, instead of suggesting an alternative health conscious restaurant, you are now defending mcdonalds because some Naija food are not healthy. Have you heard of the phrase, "2 wrongs can't make a right"? Establishing Mickeedee in the midst of our 'unhealthy' cuisine defeats the purpose of maintaining a healthy lifestyles amongst Nigerians.
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by omogenaija(f): 4:37am On Feb 26, 2007
@ ndipe
have u ever heard of the saying "to much of anything isnt good " yes McDonalds isnt healthy agreed. but really wat is ? so if McDonalds shouldnt open in naija then there should be no resturants in naija @ all , b/c really wat resturant is 100% healthy ? when McDonalds opens , if it does open nigerians should not OD on it . just like they problaby shouldnt OD on Mr. Biggs or the other resturants in naija. also chinese food is said not to be healthy , so the few (not sure of the number) chinese resturants in nigeria never should have opened as well right ?
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by Ndipe(m): 11:55am On Feb 26, 2007
2 wrongs cant make a right. Are you implying that since chinese restaurants abound in Naija, then Macdonalds, with their unhealthy menu should also make a presence in Naija, because chinese food (some of them), like Macondalds is unhealthy? Abeg, Naija, is not a dumping ground for junk food establishments.
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by Seun(m): 11:59am On Feb 26, 2007
I have nothing against them, but I am not excited by their arrival. Visit: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria.
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by eniola1310(f): 1:15pm On Feb 26, 2007
Seun:

I have nothing against them, but I am not excited by their arrival. Visit: Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria.

their arrival doesnt excite me too.
i just wonder why nigerian die over Names.
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by omogenaija(f): 9:54pm On Feb 26, 2007
@ ndipe ur basically saying that Mcdonalds shouldnt open b/c its unhealthy , thats saying only healthy resturants should open , how many healthy resturants are there anyways ?
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by Vintage: 9:54am On Feb 27, 2007
no we don't, , we need our own nigerian restauarants. Tourists do not wanna come to nigeria, and see england.
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by LePhilippe(m): 11:56pm On Mar 01, 2007
Who in Naija eats Mr. Biggs food like Mcdonald's in the western world is eaten??
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by Eastcoast(f): 6:50pm On Mar 02, 2007
@Lephillpe, Do you think nigerians would be able to afford mickydee when it arrives? How many people do you think would be able to walk in for breakfast, lunch, dinner? I don't think there prescence would really make any difference in the restaurant industry. Don't we already have many cafes and foreign restaurants? Yet, we can count how many people actually go in.
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by LePhilippe(m): 10:23pm On Mar 02, 2007
I disagree, McD prices vary with the price of a local hamburger, meaning that Nigerians will enjoy these burgers at an affordable price. Maybe the hundred niara menu!!
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by Eastcoast(f): 12:57am On Mar 03, 2007
@Lephillpe, Your really amazing me, How many people would be able to afford the hundred naira menu? if i order cheese burger, small fries and drink from the dollar menu, it would be an equivalent of about 300 naira excluding tax.
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by rookie(m): 1:28am On Mar 07, 2007
I don't see any threat with mcDonalds coming to Nigeria - they can't "colonize" our food sector grin. However, I see something wrong with foreign oil companies "colonizing" our oil industry sector, drilling the hell out of our oil and not putting back most of the revenue from it back into our economy.

1 Like

Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by spoilt(f): 7:00pm On Mar 13, 2007
and we'll probably pay twice the amount for their greasy burgers than we pay out here. as usual they will probably exploit us.
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by Stepinout: 6:11am On Sep 06, 2011
Shud they come? I wish them well. But can we get a verifiable link?

the naija business terrain is not the easiest to operate in. When KFC was coming the same rumour went round about how they will come and take over the industry but what's happening today? they are serving a select few. High prices, limited and all high calories menu (they don't even fry with the healthy grand soya oil) the rice they manage to sell is not rice for the naija tastebud, its chinese rice.

Abeg am not tripped. Will go for my nigerian fast food. Mr Bigg's sells chicken that has not oil, oven baked/grilled. Their burgers have smaller portion of mayonnaise and has no cheese (but if you want some cheese, their chicken inn brand will give you that).

am not claiming they have none fatty food (which you can only get in veggie stores) but atleast, they give me a measure of confidence that am eating healthy.

Of course as with every fast food, once in a while you get bad products but the customer service line is active, responsive and very friendly. Called a McDonald's customer service line when I was in the UK and it kept me on hold for about 10mins whereas the day I ate a bone in a bigg's meatpie and called, they picked the call, took time to explain what may have gone wrong? invited me for a facility tour just to prove to me that they have strict standards and guess what? gave me a free meal voucher. They even called days after to find out how ma teeth was doing. lol

Its naija for life for me sha. any Nigerian fast food apart from chicken republic will do (their chicken is so tasteless and full of bad tasting groundnut oil)
Re: Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! by obowunmi(m): 3:11pm On Sep 06, 2011
KFC contracted with Obasanjo farms to supply chickens so you know who is benefitting from this deal.

(1) (Reply)

Would Eating Akamu Everyday Make One Fat? / What Special Food And Drink For Birthday Party / Strangest Objects You've Ever Found In Your Food Or Drink?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.