Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,373 members, 7,836,510 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Which Islamic Name Would You Like To Give Your Children? - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Which Islamic Name Would You Like To Give Your Children? (10880 Views)

Prophetic Ways To Protect Your Children From Evils / How To Instill The Spirit Of Performing Solah In Your Children? / Which Name Will You Like Your Spouse To Call You ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Re: Which Islamic Name Would You Like To Give Your Children? by udatso: 8:40am On Dec 21, 2017
Rashduct4luv:

I don't have any Hadith as I don't think such name was common during the Prophet's time. However I read this fatwa from Sheikh Al-Munajjid:

It is makrooh to use any name which is composed of any word added to such words as al-Deen (the Religion) or Islam, such as Noor al-Deen/Nuruddin (Light of the Religion), Diya’ al-Deen/Ziauddin (Brightness of the Religion), Sayf al-Islam (Sword of Islam), Noor al-Islam (Light of Islam), etc. This is because of the great status attached to these words, al-Deen and Islam. Adding words to them to form names is an exaggeration which borders on lying, which is why some scholars said that this is haraam, and the majority say that it is makrooh, because it gives an incorrect impression which should not be given. The way this practice started was that these were titles which were added to people’s names, then people started to use them as names.
Names of this sort may be forbidden for two reasons. In a name such as Shihaab al-Deen, for example, the word Shihaab means a flame, which comes from fire, then this is added to the word al-Deen (which is inappropriate). This can lead to the use of strange names, as in Indonesia, where people use names such as Dhahab al-Deen (gold of the Religion) and Maas al-Deen (diamond of the Religion)!
Imaam al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him), use to dislike being called by his nickname Muhiy al-Deen, and Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) used to dislike being called by his nickname Taqiy al-Deen, and he said, “But my family gave me this nickname, so I am known by it.”

Secondly, Jameel is one of Allah's name. So Abdul Jameel is correct as a name.

Jamal on the other may be OK without the addition of "Deen" to it. And as I said they both have similar meaning!
Jazakallahu khairan. Is the opinion of two scholars and not a consensus enough to declare something makruh especially when there's no mention of such in the book of Allah or the tradition of the Rasul (sallallahu alayhi wasallam)?

Again jameel and Jamal are similar but do not have the same meaning. You cant reolsce one for the other. So they do not have the same meaning. Mildly put, they are similar cos they are from the same source
Re: Which Islamic Name Would You Like To Give Your Children? by Demmzy15(m): 10:59am On Dec 21, 2017
Mine is Abdullah, Umar, Uthman, Aliyy, Hassan, Mu'awiyah - Male

Aisha, Hafsah, Ummul Qulthum, Fatima and Maymunah! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ruling On Racism And Tribalism / The Taste Of The Pudding Is In The Eating / You Need To Memorize & Recite This If You Are Travelling This Eid And Other Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.