Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,808 members, 7,810,106 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:52 PM

Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year (1639 Views)

Understanding Coding With Multiple Codebases And LOC / How I Became A Software Developer And Got My First Job Within A Year / Get Free Wordpress Website + Free Domain Name + Free Hosting For A Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by asalimpo(m): 12:07am On Dec 02, 2017
in response to the claim made by the poster of this thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/3391067/how-many-lines-code-largest
by seunthomas.

you cant write a 100k lines of code in a year. Why?
There's a limit to your average output.
it will range btween say 20+ - 30+ lines of code /hr.
if you're very fast it will be maybe 40.
I assume your are working on solving a problem instead of just coding against some design handed down
by some1 else who'se fleshed out all the issues and designed the program,leaving you with just the task of coding to specs.

if so, 100k loc will take btw 4000hrs/25lines per hour to 2500/40loc per hour.
even if we get very generous and say - you're a speed demon and code at the rate of 50 lines/hr,
2 000 hrs is still a huge workload.
Note this isnt hours spent getting to work, idle chatting , idle browsing, or being stuck in traffic.
as is counted in typical work.
It's time spend pondering and solving and designing and coding.

it can be done in one year but would be a herculean task no matter how u look at it that will require not only full time dedication but complete shut out of any other work and a very focused lifestyle all year long . This is unlikely to be the case for many.
So based on this,i say, it's very unlikely for a coder to pull off 100k/loc per year.

To compute your coding average:
divide the lines of code on ur current project or other projects if you record the input (i.e the time cost)
by the lines of code in the source files of the project.
An average figure will begin to emerge.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by Olyboy16(m): 12:02pm On Dec 02, 2017
by 50 lines per hour you are excluding python programmers right?
if not, try and make a proper survey; even i as slow nd lazy as i may be, do write over 50 lines in an hour.
i usually startout drawing a data flowchart on paper, then i develop the necessary classes and methods in few minutes(frame patterns). Most of my projects involve engineering theories, so i can spend the next few minutes writing even more than 80 lines of code, i use a lot of arrays and matrices. and this is just my own case o!
think about all the copy-pastes and comments bro; python coders (even C and fortran) will easily break that 50LOC/per hour you set.
Although, on most cases, one may not even make up to 20 lines in an hour, but 100k in a YEAR!? very possible bro.
Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by asalimpo(m): 8:41pm On Dec 02, 2017
Olyboy16:
by 50 lines per hour you are excluding python programmers right?
if not, try and make a proper survey; even i as slow nd lazy as i may be, do write over 50 lines in an hour.
i usually startout drawing a data flowchart on paper, then i develop the necessary classes and methods in few minutes(frame patterns). Most of my projects involve engineering theories, so i can spend the next few minutes writing even more than 80 lines of code, i use a lot of arrays and matrices. and this is just my own case o!
think about all the copy-pastes and comments bro; python coders (even C and fortran) will easily break that 50LOC/per hour you set.
Although, on most cases, one may not even make up to 20 lines in an hour, but 100k in a YEAR!? very possible bro.
Not very possible sir.
No matter how fast you code,whether its python or whatever, on a long project, your output per hour converges on an average.
That's y 100k/year is herculean. Again,i repeat,not very possible. But possible with ernomous effort.
I've pumped out , 500 lines at a stretch a couple of times, does that mean my output converges on 83lines/per hour? The answer is yes and no. For short projects , say less than 40hrs. it will be more but for long projects, say 100+ hrs, the output will approach a limit. Also with large projects, lots of refactoring means removing redudant codes, making the program as short and dense as possible, eliminating verbosity,
etc - so as a good progrmmer,you'll be removing more code than your put in. In the end, your output should be circa 20+ - at most 40+ lines/hr.
Do the math.

actually a 100k/lines can be done in 4000 - 2000 hrs. i.e at btw 50/lines hr to 25/lines hr.
Can it be done in a year? Sure. work 400hrs/month and you've done it in 10 months at 25/lines hr.
Or work 400 hrs a month and you've done it in 5 months (working at 50 lines/hr) but 50 lines is just a theoretical limit. I know no one operating at that speed. And 400hrs/month is a herculean undertaking.
It's immense.
Eitherway, pumping out 100k/yr is not easy. Not a cake walk. You'll literally have to work full time to reach that target in a year-hence that article by the op was likely very likely a farce. Bluff.
Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by seunthomas: 1:32pm On Dec 03, 2017
asalimpo:
in response to the claim made by the poster of this thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/3391067/how-many-lines-code-largest
by seunthomas.

you cant write a 100k lines of code in a year. Why?
There's a limit to your average output.
it will range btween say 20+ - 30+ lines of code /hr.
if you're very fast it will be maybe 40.
I assume your are working on solving a problem instead of just coding against some design handed down
by some1 else who'se fleshed out all the issues and designed the program,leaving you with just the task of coding to specs.

if so, 100k loc will take btw 4000hrs/25lines per hour to 2500/40loc per hour.
even if we get very generous and say - you're a speed demon and code at the rate of 50 lines/hr,
2 000 hrs is still a huge workload.
Note this isnt hours spent getting to work, idle chatting , idle browsing, or being stuck in traffic.
as is counted in typical work.
It's time spend pondering and solving and designing and coding.

it can be done in one year but would be a herculean task no matter how u look at it that will require not only full time dedication but complete shut out of any other work and a very focused lifestyle all year long . This is unlikely to be the case for many.
So based on this,i say, it's very unlikely for a coder to pull off 100k/loc per year.

To compute your coding average:
divide the lines of code on ur current project or other projects if you record the input (i.e the time cost)
by the lines of code in the source files of the project.
An average figure will begin to emerge.
Joker, i do more than 100k lines in a year.
Stop sizing everybody by your own limitations.
Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by seunthomas: 1:34pm On Dec 03, 2017
asalimpo:

Not very possible sir.
No matter how fast you code,whether its python or whatever, on a long project, your output per hour converges on an average.
That's y 100k/year is herculean. Again,i repeat,not very possible. But possible with ernomous effort.
I've pumped out , 500 lines at a stretch a couple of times, does that mean my output converges on 83lines/per hour? The answer is yes and no. For short projects , say less than 40hrs. it will be more but for long projects, say 100+ hrs, the output will approach a limit. Also with large projects, lots of refactoring means removing redudant codes, making the program as short and dense as possible, eliminating verbosity,
etc - so as a good progrmmer,you'll be removing more code than your put in. In the end, your output should be circa 20+ - at most 40+ lines/hr.
Do the math.

actually a 100k/lines can be done in 4000 - 2000 hrs. i.e at btw 50/lines hr to 25/lines hr.
Can it be done in a year? Sure. work 400hrs/month and you've done it in 10 months at 25/lines hr.
Or work 400 hrs a month and you've done it in 5 months (working at 50 lines/hr) but 50 lines is just a theoretical limit. I know no one operating at that speed. And 400hrs/month is a herculean undertaking.
It's immense.
Eitherway, pumping out 100k/yr is not easy. Not a cake walk. You'll literally have to work full time to reach that target in a year-hence that article by the op was likely very likely a farce. Bluff.
Some of us type faster than you can come up with your articles.
The point is you dont have to type everything out(who types everything out).
You borrow code from old projects and make modifications to them by copy pasting.
Anyway i can appreciate your frustration.
Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by asalimpo(m): 3:03pm On Dec 03, 2017
seunthomas:

Some of us type faster than you can come up with your articles.
The point is you dont have to type everything out(who types everything out).
You borrow code from old projects and make modifications to them by copy pasting.

Anyway i can appreciate your frustration.
copy and paste other people's code? ARe you even logical?
@the bolded. Then count the lines of borrowed codes as your output!
For frustration,you've got it backwards.
Frustrated over what? not being able to write 100k loc or not being able
to get a software to do what it was meant to do?
You and nobody can pour out 100k lines of code without herculean cost in a year!!
That's what i'm saying because, there's a human limit to your output measured in lines of code per hour!!
Get the jerk.
Stop being ignorant.
Your article was a lie.
Like i said, 100k will take your btw 2000 (i'm being very very lenient here) - 4000+ hrs.
Do you code for 2000hrs a year!! you think 2000 hrs is joke! record the time on your projects and lets see when it hits the first 1000hrs!!
Dont come and spout crap.
Also by the time the project starts hitting a few thousand lines, you dont code fast, you have to think of design choices that will prevent your from massive headache cuz if the architecture isnt robust, at larger code sizes, say more thousands of lines of code, refactoring it to make changes to accomodate design chances can take you weeks if not months.!!!
Even pumping out 100k loc in 3 years is a massive achievement.
Again,use ur head. Can u work 4000hrs a year,just on coding - sure certainly. But,
that's ~ 333hrs/month, which is ~11hrs/day!. For 1 year!!
if you work 11hrs a dy for one year, yes you could hit 100k loc. is it possible . Yes,
feasible yes. Easy!! No!!!
You practically have to live at your computer for 1 year!!
Stop being daft and bluffing over here.

1 Like

Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by seunthomas: 3:11pm On Dec 03, 2017
asalimpo:

copy and paste other people's code? ARe you even logical?
@the bolded. Then count the lines of borrowed codes as your output!
For frustration,you've got it backwards.
Frustrated over what? not being able to write 100k loc or not being able
to get a software to do what it was meant to do?
You and nobody can pour out 100k lines of code without herculean cost in a year!!
That's what i'm saying because, there's a human limit to your output measured in lines of code per hour!!
Get the jerk.
Stop being ignorant.
Your article was a lie.
Like i said, 100k will take your btw 2000 (i'm being very very lenient here) - 4000+ hrs.
Do you code for 2000hrs a year!! you think 2000 hrs is joke! record the time on your projects and lets see when it hits the first 1000hrs!!
Dont come and spout crap.
Also by the time the project starts hitting a few thousand lines, you dont code fast, you have to think of design choices that will prevent your from massive headache cuz if the architecture isnt robust, at larger code sizes, say more thousands of lines of code, refactoring it to make changes to accomodate design chances can take you weeks if not months.!!!
Even pumping out 100k loc in 3 years is a massive achievement.
Again,use ur head. Can u work 4000hrs a year,just on coding - sure certainly. But,
that's ~ 333hrs/month, which is ~11hrs/day!. For 1 year!!
if you work 11hrs a dy for one year, yes you could hit 100k loc. is it possible . Yes,
feasible yes. Easy!! No!!!
You practically have to live at your computer for 1 year!!
Stop being daft and bluffing over here.
To reply to anything you have written above would be coming down to your level.
I pass.....
Please dont mention me when you want to sell pepper on NL.
I appreciate you respect that.
Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by asalimpo(m): 10:01pm On Dec 03, 2017
seunthomas:

To reply to anything you have written above would be coming down to your level.
I pass.....
Please dont mention me when you want to sell pepper on NL.
I appreciate you respect that.

As usual, ppl like u are full of bluff. I said y ur claim was likely a lie.
You turned to copy and paste - huh!!
Now it's selling pepper. Empty hollow poster.
That's y this room goes no where!!!

1 Like

Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by seunthomas: 2:13am On Dec 04, 2017
asalimpo:

As usual, ppl like u are full of bluff. I said y ur claim was likely a lie.
You turned to copy and paste - huh!!
Now it's selling pepper. Empty hollow poster.
That's y this room goes no where!!!
Personally i think you are retard.
If you think you are better programmer than me, then you can challenge me openly and stop dancing around what i said or did not say.
Really dont care if your room goes anywhere you can sleep in it permanently.
I am open to you challenging me RETARD.
Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by Nobody: 5:28am On Dec 04, 2017
First of all I personally believe LOC is not a good metric to judge productivity of a programmer. I believe its bill gates who said “Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight”.

With that been said, I would agree with the OP that it is not just an herculean task for one person to write a 100k LOC in a year, It is highly improbable. It doesn't matter whether you've been coding for 2 yrs or for 200 yrs and it actually doesn't matter what language you're using, because it is not an issue of expertise but an issue of human limitation. Yes there will be days where you will spit out about 500 lines in one sitting, especially at the beginning of the project but as you get deeper into the project each line of code carries more weight because you have to think through how it fits with the other pieces and at this point your LOC/day slows down drastically to a lot less than a 100. When you add the fact that things will break as you write and you also have to rethink your logic and design, it is a given that you'll have weeks(even months) where you'll average 10-20 LOC/day.

So bros i don't know how you did it ooo but meeehn I can't begin to imagine the maintenance cost of such a program cos there must have been many many wuru wuru to the answser for the code. But i still side with the OP, I don't believe it's possible.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by seunthomas: 8:32am On Dec 04, 2017
omokoladejames:
First of all I personally believe LOC is not a good metric to judge productivity of a programmer. I believe its bill gates who said “Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight”.

With that been said, I would agree with the OP that it is not just an herculean task for one person to write a 100k LOC in a year, It is highly improbable. It doesn't matter whether you've been coding for 2 yrs or for 200 yrs and it actually doesn't matter what language you're using, because it is not an issue of expertise but an issue of human limitation. Yes there will be days where you will spit out about 500 lines in one sitting, especially at the beginning of the project but as you get deeper into the project each line of code carries more weight because you have to think through how it fits with the other pieces and at this point your LOC/day slows down drastically to a lot less than a 100. When you add the fact that things will break as you write and you also have to rethink your logic and design, it is a given that you'll have weeks(even months) where you'll average 10-20 LOC/day.

So bros i don't know how you did it ooo but meeehn I can't begin to imagine the maintenance cost of such a program cos there must have been many many wuru wuru to the answser for the code.
But i still side with the OP, I don't believe it's possible.

I want to tell you its actually possible to write more than 100K lines of code a year.

A standard web application with javascript and server side code(c#,java, php,python or whatever) can easily exceed 5k lines of code.

An advanced application for finance can easily exceed 50k lines of code.

On the human ability to write that much code, i laugh when people argue its not possible.

I have been doing it for a long time and i know people who work on huge projects where they have to write more lines.

You can argue that in 2017 where we have components for almost everything, number of lines of code have gotten less by the day and i will agree with you. But in an environment where what you need to build requires certain level of security and you can't afford to use open components, you will easily exceed 100k lines of code and such projects happen in 6months to a year.

I understand the OP's frustration but you should try not to side with things especially if you are still starting up.

I consider myself a very advanced programmer but i still know a lot of people who have more experiences than i do.

Mind you bill gate you mentioned is not even a real programmer.

Most of this top CEO's rarely write code once their company is in full swing as they have money to hire people who write better code than themselves so using him as a standard is off.

Lines of code is not an indication of anything its just to show that sometimes you can easily work yourself to something you dont expect when you are working on a project.

If the OP feels he is a better or more solid programmer than i am he can feel free to challenge me na.....

1 Like

Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by Olyboy16(m): 1:01pm On Dec 04, 2017
@asalimpo, you obviously haven't met a lot of software developers, especially guys that deal mainly on UI; you'd be suprised at how much code these guys write per week.
infact an average FEA(structural analysis stuff) algorithm costs nothing less than 750 lines of code (could be up to 1k+ at times). My team leader (Ph.D holder) developed 3 different FEA schemes in just 2 weeks! thats 2,350 LOC!
imagine how much was achieved in just 2 weeks, if you gave me or this man a million dollars we'd develop FEA schemes for every element(structural form) available in 12 months! thats well over 50 schemes!!
the point i'm trying to make here is that, most bulk of code people write include block or component reuse through copy-paste and refractoring; so its unsafe and unfair to assume everyone is limited to certain lines of code. Moreover, with the right pay, ain't nothing like 100k LOC for me; i'd write 500k LOC in 6 months for a damn billion dollar contract. I'm a buy myself a cadillac bro!
Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by asalimpo(m): 1:49pm On Dec 04, 2017
seunthomas:

Personally i think you are retard.
If you think you are better programmer than me, then you can challenge me openly and stop dancing around what i said or did not say.
Really dont care if your room goes anywhere you can sleep in it permanently.
I am open to you challenging me RETARD.
hmmm ... is this how u degenerate. It's now a matter of fight.
I was logically refuting your claim based on practical experience.
That you can write 1m loc in a year (a physical impossiblity by the way) doesnt mean
your code or program has superlative technical merits!!
THINK!!!

STAY ON THE LOGICAL LANE.I'M CALLING UR CLAIM OF WRITING 100K LOC /YR a lie.
And i'm stating tht 100k a year is only possible under duress.
Not saying it's impossible but under duress. I'm talking of well designed , no fluff, no imported code, all code written by the author system.
If you have anything to say, counter the point logically. Stop fuming like a kindergaten kid.
Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by Olyboy16(m): 1:56pm On Dec 04, 2017
asalimpo:

That you can write 1m loc in a year (a physical impossiblity by the way) doesnt mean
THINK!!!

Not saying it's impossible but under duress. I'm talking of well designed , no fluff, no imported code, all code written by the author system.
If you have anything to say, counter the point logically. Stop fuming like a kindergaten kid.

these conditions are abstract. Too abstract for an ideal real life situation sire.
Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by asalimpo(m): 2:19pm On Dec 04, 2017
Olyboy16:
@asalimpo, you obviously haven't met a lot of software developers, especially guys that deal mainly on UI; you'd be suprised at how much code these guys write per week.
infact an average FEA(structural analysis stuff) algorithm costs nothing less than 750 lines of code (could be up to 1k+ at times). My team leader (Ph.D holder) developed 3 different FEA schemes in just 2 weeks! thats 2,350 LOC!
imagine how much was achieved in just 2 weeks, if you gave me or this man a million dollars we'd develop FEA schemes for every element(structural form) available in 12 months! thats well over 50 schemes!!
the point i'm trying to make here is that, most bulk of code people write include block or component reuse through copy-paste and refractoring; so its unsafe and unfair to assume everyone is limited to certain lines of code. Moreover, with the right pay, ain't nothing like 100k LOC for me; i'd write 500k LOC in 6 months for a damn billion dollar contract. I'm a buy myself a cadillac bro!

You dont get my point . I'm not talking about competence. I wrote this post because i've been worknig on a project for months. over 6 months. Then i discovered that i could actually predict how many lines of code my app will be in a given time, based on the output in hours. Using that basis i generalized and came to the conclusion that what the op, suenthomas, was saying of 100k loc /yr was likely a lie.
I'm also not factoring copy-and -paste. The 100k loc must all be hand written by the coder.
Of course he could import and use libraries,who doestn but the 100k loc must be ur own original output.
Based on that i came to my conclusion.
Let me break it down again.
100k loc a year is possible. Very possible, but the time cost is ernomous. Like i said, 100k will take your 2000 hrs(maverick speed demon coder) - 4000 hrs (average coder).
Can you work 2000 hrs a year! assuming your ar freakingfast? yes. But as the project advances, you wont code so fast, in other words its like running a marathon. Can you run at peek speed for 30 minutes,short dash,yes. For 10hrs!! No!!. When you start hitting a few hundred hours into the project, you'll think and rethink critically your design choices bcause any issue will render your system fragile ,unmaintenable and very porous. You'll be coding less per day, refactoring more, learning more and erasing more codes (cruft).
Your code size will reduce,to make the system more efficient - so hitting 100k loc of very efficient sparse code would take more time. In all,as your write very efficient terse well designed systems, your average code per hour approaches a limit: That's what i computed and came up with the 25+ - 40+ range per hour.
which amounts to 2000 - 4000+ hours.

Applying this metric to your colleague:
2300/2 weeks .
it's feasible. very.
2 weeks = 14 days.
if he codes at an average speed of 35 loc/hr.
2300/35= ~66hrs.
if he works 18hrs a day that's ~4 days.
if he works 20hrs a day that's ~4 days.
if he works at 11hrs a day that's 6 days. And like i computed to code 100k loc/yr you need to work at least 11hrs/day!
so it's all about time cost.
your friends output can be computed at 66/14 = ~4.7hrs of work a day. or rounded 4hrs 48mins of coding a day @35loc/hr.
at 40loc/hr your friend wouldav worked 4hrs 7mins/day.
Dyu see the convergence!! It's a physical limit that limits how much your overall code output can ever reach in any time period.
Working longer or harder doesnt change this limit!
Your friend in question cannot work 66hrs in 2 days,try as he may try! But he can work without sleep for 3 days and produce the same 66hrs of work! or space it out over 14 days! how much more ~2000 - 4000+ hrs of work(100k loc) !!
3000hrs and 66hrs are vastly different.
Like i said, the op is very likely bluffing. Serious bluffing.

I'm not comparing myself to seunthomas, or such. Just saying the physics of 100k loc makes it likely improbableto pump in in less than 2000hrs. and the range for 100k loc is 2000 - 4000+hrs.
It can be done in a year. of course,with strong work ethics,but it's no cakewalk.
And if done in year,like i computed that ~11hrs/day. 365 days!. That's just living at the pc for a whole year.
Based on that,i called his statement a bluff!!
Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by seunthomas: 4:09pm On Dec 04, 2017
asalimpo:

THINK!!!

I can now confirm you are a ritard e.
You have create a box for yourself and feel everyone should into that box.
Actually the project that brought about so much issue from you actually had well over 100k lines of code.
Before i was contracted to do the job, 2 UK citizens, 1 Nigerian firm and 1 Indian firm had already tried and failed to deliver on it.
I hope your mind can comprehend the size or nature of the job. I won't say more than.
Infact to fit you box i will say i can only write 100 lines of code all my life.
Ritard e.
Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by Desyner: 7:05pm On Dec 04, 2017
Maybe the writer was auto generating some codes and comments. Either way LOC isn't a good metric to guage software quality or robustness.
Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by asalimpo(m): 7:02pm On Dec 05, 2017
seunthomas:

I can now confirm you are a ritard e.
You have create a box for yourself and feel everyone should into that box.
Actually the project that brought about so much issue from you actually had well over 100k lines of code.
Before i was contracted to do the job, 2 UK citizens, 1 Nigerian firm and 1 Indian firm had already tried and failed to deliver on it.
I hope your mind can comprehend the size or nature of the job. I won't say more than.
Infact to fit you box i will say i can only write 100 lines of code all my life.
Ritard e.
You like acting like an untrained kid. very illogical in ur response.
re.tard means what to this argument?
Do some thinking and stop spewing meaningless hate.
I created this post basd on careful analysis then i generalized and gave generous ranges making
my claim encompassing and plausible.
a novel of small print and 200 pages will take the author btw 3 - 6 months or more to write.
read the lines on a page of small print paper back,they are usually 30 lines per page,including
lines with just one word.
times 200 = ~6k lines
a larger book
may have 300 pages (think mario puzo god father etc)
that's 300 * 30 = 9k lines.
Now compute the equivalent in 100k lines . that's about ~11 - 17 paper back books in a year!!
Bros, if you say that's not herculean,your misguided and living in a fantasy world.
i'm not debating code quality or prowess.
I'm simply saying, the physics of coding - average lines of code per hour (including refactoring (which removes dead codes) - makes 100k loc in one year extremely herculean not utterly impossible but so hard it becomes likely implausible.
just like the best authors are limited by the physics of writing.
The best authors churn out around 2 books a year!! Is it because they're not fast writers or dull thinkers.

a 100k loc will cost you btw 2000 - 4000+ hrs. Not kids play. It can bedone in a year but a great cost.
Great cost on your body and lifestyle maybe your health. Can your sit down at your pc for 4000hrs in a year?
Some can,but others will spread the task over more periods.
Also look at others who've written large blocks of codes, they dont pour it out over 1 yr, but over years!!
Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by seunthomas: 10:19pm On Dec 05, 2017
asalimpo:

You like acting like an untrained kid. very illogical in ur response.
re.tard means what to this argument?
Do some thinking and stop spewing meaningless hate.
I created this post basd on careful analysis then i generalized and gave generous ranges making
my claim encompassing and plausible.
a novel of small print and 200 pages will take the author btw 3 - 6 months or more to write.
read the lines on a page of small print paper back,they are usually 30 lines per page,including
lines with just one word.
times 200 = ~6k lines
a larger book
may have 300 pages (think mario puzo god father etc)
that's 300 * 30 = 9k lines.
Now compute the equivalent in 100k lines . that's about ~11 - 17 paper back books in a year!!
Bros, if you say that's not herculean,your misguided and living in a fantasy world.
i'm not debating code quality or prowess.
I'm simply saying, the physics of coding - average lines of code per hour (including refactoring (which removes dead codes) - makes 100k loc in one year extremely herculean not utterly impossible but so hard it becomes likely implausible.
just like the best authors are limited by the physics of writing.
The best authors churn out around 2 books a year!! Is it because they're not fast writers or dull thinkers.

a 100k loc will cost you btw 2000 - 4000+ hrs. Not kids play. It can bedone in a year but a great cost.
Great cost on your body and lifestyle maybe your health. Can your sit down at your pc for 4000hrs in a year?
Some can,but others will spread the task over more periods.
Also look at others who've written large blocks of codes, they dont pour it out over 1 yr, but over years!!
I think you just want to argue. Anyway i will not respond to you again after this comment.
You can't go far in programming for 2 reasons:
a. You have created an invisible barrier of limitation for yourself based on your reasoning (Good programmers dont do that, they are challenge hungry and coffee junkies. While you sleep they are working...)
b. You have no regards or little regards for people ahead of you.(Even myself i pay homage from time to time to those who are far better that me. They do exist....)

I hope you can learn from this 2 rules above and adjust else i give you 5 years, if you are still writing code you would be doing only drag and drop with CMSes.

SELAH....
Re: Why You Cant Write 100k LOC In A Year by asalimpo(m): 10:37pm On Dec 05, 2017
seunthomas:

I think you just want to argue. Anyway i will not respond to you again after this comment.
You can't go far in programming for 2 reasons:
a. You have created an invisible barrier of limitation for yourself based on your reasoning (Good programmers dont do that, they are challenge hungry and coffee junkies. While you sleep they are working...)
b. You have no regards or little regards for people ahead of you.(Even myself i pay homage from time to time to those who are far better that me. They do exist....)

I hope you can learn from this 2 rules above and adjust else i give you 5 years, if you are still writing code you would be doing only drag and drop with CMSes.

SELAH....
Maybe i have to requalify my assertion:
Because in some cases, it may be wrong.
100k loc, with no testing, could b done in shorter time.
But the metric i use is a) well designed (to the best of your ability) .
refactoring and removing dead codes. Eliminating wastes, aiming for maximum economy of expression.
zero redundancy.
b) thorough testing (i.e testsing is not shipped off to some one else. You code and test.)
Testing chews time.

With this metrics in mind, when the coding is complete, the work is done. Hence,
when it hits 100k loc,after all these factors have been applied,it is really herculean (for one person).
By my estimate, this cannot be done under 2000 hrs, my range is 2000 - 4000hrs+.
And while 4000 can fit into one calendar year, it is unusual. Hence unlikely.
I stand my claim. And would like some1 to refute it logically not bluffing and going emotional and calling me a ret.ard - get logical. I'm conjecturing anyway but it's a strong conjecture.

(1) (Reply)

Open Source & Dotnet, Which Way To Go? / How To Retrieve Data From An Api Using Fetch Api In Javascript / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.