Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,794 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Church Of Christ Let Meet Here - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Church Of Christ Let Meet Here (521 Views)

Please My Brother's And Sisters In Christ Let Us Pray For Him Condemning Him / Christians In Church Of Christ Let's Meet Here / "Sex Is Sweet": Kaduna Redeemed Christian Church Of God Program (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Church Of Christ Let Meet Here by perry1988(m): 11:49am On Dec 03, 2017
Church of Christ members in nairaland, let us come together to teach ourselves, so we not sways from the truth

cc OAM4J
lalaticlala
seun
justwise
please help push this to front pages
Re: Church Of Christ Let Meet Here by perry1988(m): 11:50am On Dec 03, 2017
The lord is good
Re: Church Of Christ Let Meet Here by Brightr1(m): 10:23am On Dec 04, 2017
IS THE PAYMENT OF TITHES FOR CHRISTIANS?
IS THE PAYMENT OF TITHES FOR CHRISTIANS?
INTRODUCTION:
The importance of this lesson cannot be overemphasized because this is a lesson that is currently causing division amongst the followers of Christ. The Christians that are saying we should pay tithes and the ones saying we should not pay tithes cannot be both correct; one must be wrong. This is simply because tithing is not a matter of opinion but a matter of faith. So, even if we are sincerely wrong, that will not take away the wrath of God from us. Remember the story of Uzzah in 11Samuel. 6:6-8 and also Matthew. 15:14. In the light of the above, Join us as we go Back to the Bible to find scriptural answer to our question.
1. THE PAYMENT OF TITHES IN THE BIBLE.
Tithe simply means “a tenth” therefore, anything below ten present (10%) or above it, is not tithe. For better understanding of this subject matter, we are going to study the payment of tithes in the three (3) dispensation of the Bible Viz. the patriarchal era, the Mosaic era and the Christian age.
A. The Patriarchal Era.
1. Abraham to Melchizedek Genesis. 14:17-20
2. Jacob’s Vow Genesis.28:22; 35:3,14
3. Abraham and Jacob only paid once as recorded.
a. Somebody posited that since tithe was paid in this era, it preceded the law and was not part of the law. This is not correct. The book of Genesis is also referred to as the law
Galatians 4:21,22 cf Genesis.16:21. Also, tithing was part of the law of Moses as we will clearly see below.
B. The Mosaic Era.
1. Tithes was part of the law Leviticus. 27:30-34; Nehemiah 12:44.
2. Types of Tithes. Malachi referred to tithes Malachi 3:8.
a. Regular tithes Number.18:21-24.
i. Paid to only the Levities.
b. Tithe of tithes Number.18:26-28,Nehemiah .10:37-39.
i. Paid by Levites to the priests
c. Annual tithes Deuteronomy 14:22-27;12:6,11; 11 Chronicles.6:6
I. Eaten by the tithe prayer and his family at Jerusalem.
d. Third year tithes Deuteronomy 14:28-29; 26:12
i. For widows, orphans, strangers and Levities
ii. Make special prayers thereafter Deuteronomy .26:13-15
3. Money was not tithed 11Chronicles. 31:5,6; Nehemiah 13:12; Deuteronomy 12:17; Lev. 27:30-32; Deuteronomy 14:24-26.
C. The Christian Era.
1. There is no direct command, approved apostolic example or necessary inference as to the payment of tithes by Christians.
2. How is it done in the churches today?
a. Tithes today is only cash.
b. Have tithes cards. Which are marked at payment.
c. defaulters are not assisted by the church and also not buried.
d. Not done as contained in the ordinance hence James.2:10. Applies to the proponents.
3. Some argument made to support payment of tithes today.
a. Tithes was mentioned in the New Testament
Matthew. 23:23; Luke.11:42; Luke. 18:12.
i. The above passages refer to the payment of tithes by the Pharisees who were under the Old Testament. Christ was simply rebuking the Pharisees who were under the law of tithes. He was not giving a command that Christians should pay tithes. Compare Matthew 8:1-4.
b. Christ did not come to destroy the law Matthew. 5:17.
i. The law as used in this context refers to prophecies made concerning Christ which must be fulfilled. See Deuteronomy. 18:15-18; Micah.5:2; Psalms.16:10; Luke.24:44 The passage was not talking of the Old Testament Statutes. If Christ was saying He did not come to destroy the law i.e.change or overthrow the statutes and ordinances, why did He make changes in vv.21-44? Please take note of until in Matthew.5:18.
4. The law of tithes is not binding on Christians.
a. Even Israel could not observe the law Malachi. 3:6-8; Acts 15:10.
i. There are Christians today that cannot quantify “a tenth” of their earning. How will they conform to the law?
b. Placed them under a curse Malachi.3:9;Deuteronomy 27:26.
c. Christ brought redemption from the law
Galatians 4:4,5;3:13.
i. Christians are released from the law
ii. Romans7:6;10:4;6:14;Galatians.3:2325;2:21.
d. Going back to the law of tithes means falling from grace. Galatians 5:4.
5 The law of tithing changed to allow for the priesthood of Christ Hebrew 7.5,11,12.
a. Tithe payers and collectors are rebelling against the priesthood of Christ.
b All Christians are priests. 1Peter 2.5-9; Revelation 1.6
c Since all Christians are priests, who pays tithes to who?
6. Tithing violates the principle of Christian giving.
a. Christians are to give as they purpose in their hearts 11 Corinthians 9:7.
b. Christians are to give as they are prospered 1 Corinthians..16:1,2.
i. This principle of Christian liberty in giving is not in tandem with the law of tithing.
c. Tithing limits Christian blessings 11 Corinthians.9:6
i. A Christian that sows ten percent will reap ten percent; a Christian that sows more will reap more.
ii. How many percent did the widow give? Mark.12:41-44 was it ten percent? What will be the percentage of her blessings? Think seriously on this! See also Acts 4:34-37.
CONCLUSION:
My beloved, we have seen from the Bible that the payment of tithes is not for the Christians.Anyone commanding people to pay tithes today is rebelling against God and at the appointed time will get his reward 11Peter 2:1-3. Christians are therefore enjoined to mark such people and avoid them because they are not ser
ving our Lord Jesus, but their own bellies Romans 16:17-18. Our plea is that we should repent. Yes! This is the time for repentance 11 Corinthians. 6:1-2.

(1) (Reply)

Bishop surivives Fatal Accident After Attending Son's Wedding in benin(photo) / Happy Christmas: Thinkers, Let's Celebrate The Birth Of Niklas / Prophecy For Israel 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.