Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,995 members, 7,841,813 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? (930 Views)

NL Traditional Religion Thread / Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) / Atheist Come Here And Reason With African Traditional Faithful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by Nobody: 11:50am On Dec 03, 2017
As an African christian child and of course my Muslim counterpart we tend to know little or nothing about our forefathers religion, how they worshiped God. The little I know is as a result of Yoruba subject I took in secondary school.
Lately I have been inquisitive sad Am I truly a descendant of Abraham, am I truly one of those lost sheep of Isreal Jesus came to die for? Do I really have anything to do with those Bible stories, how does it concern me as an African? I don't believe it is bad to ask questions like this anyway its only normal to want clarity.
Now to the purpose of this thread; As a Christian or Muslim youth living in a religious country(Nigeria) that barely has regard for other people's religion,
_do you really think our forefathers had no knowledge of God?
_Were they really idol worshippers like the white men called them?
_Are they all going to hell cos Jesus of Nazareth was not on time to save them?
I believe we have a bad notion of ATR basically because of how our nollywood stars have portrayed it.
Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by Nobody: 11:55am On Dec 03, 2017
These "idol worshippers" were more morally upright than we are now, even with religious houses scattered everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by Gentle034(m): 12:00pm On Dec 03, 2017
shocked
Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by Gentle034(m): 12:01pm On Dec 03, 2017
It would have been d best religion for Africa and Africans considering our nature, but then colonialism came and said this is d way and we followed suit,without even asking questions. So many times I would sit and ponder if it were to be Africans who took ATR to the Europeans at first what would have been their response.
Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Dec 03, 2017
Gentle034:
It would have been d best religion for Africa and Africans considering our nature, but then colonialism came and said this is d way and we followed suit,without even asking questions. So many times I would sit and ponder if it were to be Africans who took ATR to the Europeans at first what would have been their response.
Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Dec 03, 2017
The only problem with the traditional religion is its not organized, people go to priest for something but no place of worship, no teaching, no gathering except for festivals. If its organized and if they teach more from what these gods taught it will make more sense.

Christianity and Islam make sense to say the truth, makes life easier for everyone, the 10 commandments is used in every country as part of their laws even in Nigeria, thou shall no kill, thou shall not steal, thou shall not bare false witness and so many laws in Nigeria and every other part of the world is from the 10 commandments. If African religion is that organize it will have impact. Even date we use is dated Before Christ and After, thats how organized Christianity is, some of us dont even know the real story behind our ancestors talk less their gods.
Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by plessis: 12:28pm On Dec 03, 2017
If we're going to make progress, we have to come together and fight the west and be in full control of our destiny... We have to have a unique identity.....
We must go back to the our indigenous beliefs... Christianity and Islam are both scams....
Adopt a new system of government.... Democracy is a scam....

Adopt a new educational system to teach and train people to think for themselves.... This present system is a bigger scam...

If only it were possible
Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Dec 03, 2017
Gentle034:
I remember in 300level, there's this free thinker lecturer that narrated the Yoruba story of creation, as soon as he was through the class started laughing and questioning the stupid idea of how an hen could have used its leg to spread sand over the world. Then I thought what if this is the same story the white men told us, would we have doubted it and call it stupid?
We are basically religious in this country. Nothing Christian about us

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Dec 03, 2017
Day2logic:
The only problem with the traditional religion is its not organized, people go to priest for something but no place of worship, no teaching, no gathering except for festivals. If its organized and if they teach more from what these gods taught it will make more sense.

Christianity and Islam make sense to say the truth, makes life easier for everyone, the 10 commandments is used in every country as part of their laws even in Nigeria, thou shall no kill, thou shall not steal, thou shall not bare false witness and so many laws in Nigeria and every other part of the world is from the 10 commandments. If African religion is that organize it will have impact. Even date we use is dated Before Christ and After, thats how organized Christianity is, some of us dont even know the real story behind our ancestors talk less their gods.
They don't have a place of worship because the society doesn't permit it. Some Christians and Muslims cannot bear to live in the same compound with an IFA priest or Ogun worshipper, the pastors would be the first person to bring down their place of worship in case they had one. As per the commandment I believe our ancestors had their own sort of that made their time worth it.
Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Dec 03, 2017
classicB:

They don't have a place of worship because the society doesn't permit it. Some Christians and Muslims cannot bear to live in the same compound with an IFA priest or Ogun worshipper, the pastors would be the first person to bring down their place of worship in case they had one. As per the commandment I believe our ancestors had their own sort of that made their time worth it.

No! A pastor, as in a Nigeria person does not have any right to bring down a building especially a place of worship, because there is freedom owning properties and also freedom of religious practice only that two the pastor will rot in jail.

I am from Ile Ife and I cherish Yoruba tradition a whole lot. But lets say we have a place of worship, clean like they do in the church, have written books where we can learn about moral act, put strict restriction on practice of black magic, not give every Ifa apprentices access to strong magical and powerful books.

They will never be able to impose Christianity or Islam on lets say Indian, China or lets just say most strong Asian countries because their traditional religions are organized and have been for many years, Buddha dated back to 400 BCE. We don't even know when Oduduwa got here or any other ancestor for that matter, I have read many quotes by Buddha no sabi one Oduduwa Quote.

For you to know how unorganized our religions are. I have heard about Hinduism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Sikhism and so on, beside Traditional religions that will call it give me one legitimate and accepted name for one of our religions because depending on which god you choose to worship there are many traditional religions.
Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Dec 03, 2017
plessis:
If we're going to make progress, we have to come together and fight the west and be in full control of our destiny... We have to have a unique identity.....
We must go back to the our indigenous beliefs... Christianity and Islam are both scams....
Adopt a new system of government.... Democracy is a scam....

Adopt a new educational system to teach and train people to think for themselves.... This present system is a bigger scam...

If only it were possible

It is the fear of God that will learned from Christianity and Islam that's helping us in this country and every other parts of the world. Take the fear of God away, take the 10 commandments away and believe me Jesus go don come back since.

Democracy is not scam, its the monarchy rule that is scam, its just the king and the peasants. Low class and high class of the society, it is democracy that gave everybody rights else if by monarchy rule a king "rule over everything" if you can read deep meaning into that. In democracy anybody with any background can rule but kingship is mostly by inheritance. Just one mighty person over every other person for as long as he lives.

Oyinbo really get sense, we just need to learn to live with them without having them control our destiny.
Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by nijabazaar: 1:41pm On Dec 03, 2017
ATR is disorganized...

its pantheon of gods keep changing in form and function as to leave you confused and drawn
Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by plessis: 1:55pm On Dec 03, 2017
Day2logic:

It is the fear of God that will learned from Christianity and Islam that's helping us in this country and every other parts of the world. Take the fear of God away, take the 10 commandments away and believe me Jesus go don come back since.

Democracy is not scam, its the monarchy rule that is scam, its just the king and the peasants. Low class and high class of the society, it is democracy that gave everybody rights else if by monarchy rule a king "rule over everything" if you can read deep meaning into that. In democracy anybody with any background can rule but kingship is mostly by inheritance. Just one mighty person over every other person for as long as he lives.

Oyinbo really get sense, we just need to learn to live with them without having them control our destiny.
What i'm saying is that todays democracy is a scam... its a lie.Real true democracy is when people decide their future and laws.
Like in ancient greece.People of the city would group and decide on their own by voting for the laws.Now we vote for peolpe who choose our laws this is not real freedom and its a scam....

Today's democracy is all about electing thieves....
Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by vaxx: 1:59pm On Dec 03, 2017
Picture speak more than a thousands words

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by purem(m): 2:06pm On Dec 03, 2017
vaxx:

What's your meme is tryna say?

Thought yhur a theist
Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by Gentle034(m): 2:11pm On Dec 03, 2017
classicB:

I remember in 300level, there's this free thinker lecturer that narrated the Yoruba story of creation, as soon as he was through the class started laughing and questioning the stupid idea of how an hen could have used its leg to spread sand over the world. Then I thought what if this is the same story the white men told us, would we have doubted it and call it stupid?
We are basically religious in this country. Nothing Christian about us
The white man really cooked a very sweet and intelligent story for us, they knew majority of our trad. Rulers were not all that wise, they knew that if a king could sell his fellow human in exchange for ordinary mirror, then if they tell him that after he died if he believe in a way he would make it to a place called heaven, this they used to perpetuate their mission. Yeah Africans have always been religious in our own way!!

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by vaxx: 2:21pm On Dec 03, 2017
purem:

What's your meme is tryna say?

Thought yhur a theist
No I belong to my root
Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 03, 2017
plessis:
What i'm saying is that todays democracy is a scam... its a lie.Real true democracy is when people decide their future and laws.
Like in ancient greece.People of the city would group and decide on their own by voting for the laws.Now we vote for peolpe who choose our laws this is not real freedom and its a scam....

Today's democracy is all about electing thieves....

I understand. And you make sense.

But now none of these is their fault. They introduced a sensible system, we accepted it, now they are not going to help us execute the system. They gave us the same system that they are using.

The problem is us, no vision of what tomorrow could be, because as black people we are driven by strength, physical power and that makes us less dependent, we dont know we have right or we can even fight for it. The western people don't like to use physical power like us, so they make for themselves everything to make life easier. If Trump add one cent to fuel unnecessarily, you go see say all Americans fit decide not go to work tomorrow. But for a blackman, na death be rest.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On African Traditional Religion? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Dec 03, 2017
vaxx:

This is not an example of picture speak a thousand word

(1) (Reply)

A Trivial Emergency – Apostle Arome Osayi / Christianity ‘originated In The Worship Of Penis’ (explains Why They Hail Sodomy / As Christ Is, So Are We In This World - Olamide Obire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.