Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job (1008 Views)

Poll: Do you support Anyoke as INEC chairman?

Yes: 57% (11 votes)
No: 26% (5 votes)
Doesn't matter: 15% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ / Jonathan Urges Nigerians To Patiently Wait For INEC To Collate, Announce Result / Atiku Under Pressure To Dump APC As Jonathan Woos Him - Daily Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by AloyEmeka5: 4:13am On Mar 29, 2010
Jonathan woos Anyaoku for INEC job
By Sam Akpe (Abuja) and Emma Nzomiwu (Enugu)

Acting President Goodluck Jonathan may persuade the celebrated former Secretary General of the Commonwealth of Nations, Emeka Anyaoku, to accept the position of the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in June this year.

[img]http://www.thecommonwealth.org/Shared_ASP_Files/GFSR.asp?NodeID=211677&AttributeName=FileName[/img]
Emeka Anyoku

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/mar/28/400.html

But Ikemba Nnewi and leader of All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA), Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu, thinks that the current INEC boss, Professor Maurice Iwu deserves to be reappointed.

Authoritative sources told Sunday Independent on Friday that Anyaoku had already been suggested to Jonathan with the Acting President only worried whether the Anambra high chief would accept the appointment.

Anyaoku’s unique selling point, according to those pushing his nomination, is that he would bring credibility to the Commission if he accepts to handle the job.

“The world knows Anyaoku and what he stands for. He has a name to protect and a name that can inspire confidence and also create positive image internationally for INEC,” said a Presidency source on Thursday night.

The source hinted that among the names touted in the media so far, none of them is qualified. “Olisa Agbakoba is a politician, Dora Akunyili is a politician; just like that. We need somebody who is a little bit apolitical and with the required clout to handle the job.”

He observed that Anyaoku has a global administrative ability to handle the bureaucracy at INEC, “because from whatever angle you look at it, that is not a job for a new comer, the bureaucracy is huge; and Anyaoku is capable.”

Anyaoku’s profile went higher while he also faced his greatest challenge in his career during the late Sani Abacha’s military regime when Nigeria came under international condemnation over the killing of Ogoni activists, among them, Ken Saro-Wiwa.

Our source added that although he was not sure if the renowned administrator had been contacted for the job, “the prayer on every lip is that he accepts the offer when made and move in to clean up the place.”

Iwu’s tenure will expire in June this year. He was confirmed by the Senate for appointment in June 2005 for a five-year term.

Iwu’s first test as INEC chairman was the 2007 general elections, which were almost marred by logistics problems and allegations of irregularities perpetrated by the political class.

Both local and international rights organisations have mounted pressure on the Federal Government to sack Iwu although none could specify in which particular area the INEC chairman could be blamed for the failure at the polls.

The argument, however, has centred on the feeling that most of the elections conducted by INEC and winners declared have been overturned by the courts for various reasons.

Sources confirmed on Friday that Iwu had concluded arrangements to quit INEC and may not honour any reappointment if offered.

“He has even started recruiting staff for his private office in Abuja. It is becoming clearer that he is eager to quit the job, he is not keen about staying back,” said one of his aides on Friday in Abuja.

He said: “From the best of my knowledge, nobody has asked Iwu if he wants to stay back, that is if he is interested in a re-appointment. So I don’t think there is any doubt about his exit.

“This is why a fresh appointment has to be made immediately; someone has to understudy Iwu for a specific time before his term expires, except the next appointee is already a staff of INEC.”

On whether Iwu could possibly be reappointed, he said: “One thing that is certain is that he will not have his tenure renewed, no matter how much he has improved, his tenure will not be renewed.

“Yes, some of the bye-elections conducted by INEC are better than the previous ones. That is not sufficient reasons for him to be kept back. Can you imagine the outcry that will follow an announcement that Iwu has been reappointed?

“The 2007 elections under his watch brought a lot of image problems to INEC. I am not saying he was responsible for the rigging, but the fact remains that whatever happened was on his watch and people naturally attributed those irregularities to him.”

Meanwhile, Ojukwu has endorsed the re-appointment of Professor Maurice Iwu as Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), provided that future polls would be modelled after what most observers considered as the success story of the February 6 Governorship ballot in Anambra.

Ojukwu, APGA Presidential Candidate in the 2007 general election, was in court alongside Muhammadu Buhari of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) and Atiku Abubakar of the Action Congress (AC) to challenge outcome of the ballot superintended by Iwu.

Regardless, Ojukwu dismissed widely-held claims that Iwu performed woefully and does not merit reappointment, saying that nobody can satisfy human beings.

Ojukwu spoke on Saturday at his Enugu residence where he held a three-hour closed door meeting with the INEC chairman whose tenure lapses in June. Talk of his replacement has dominated the political landscape, with people torn into different camps on whether or not to replace the man.

Ojukwu reiterated that he was in politics to defend the interest of Ndigbo – the same reason he went into the famed 30-month civil war against the Nigerian state and for which the Ikemba Nnewi insisted he owes “no apology” to anybody.

He said he was glad to be part of the Anambra ballot won by Governor Peter Obi of APGA, and extended the appreciation of the Anambrarians and entire Ndigbo for the success of the exercise.

His words: “I welcome you, but not only that, I want to use the opportunity to transmit to you the good feelings and thanks of the entire Igbo race.

“I speak with authority and thank you for your efforts and congratulate you for your ability to present to the world and Nigeria a Nigerian first free and fair and successful election. Mr. chairman, some day, not too long ago, I was being asked, what was my opinion and what was it that propelled my political career. I remember very clearly my response. It is appropriate that I repeat it here that I came into politics because I see a gap. My aim is to fill that gap and that gap is the defence of Igbo interest.

“I repeat it because I want people to remember that I am not making any apologies about it. I have come into politics to protect the interest of Ndigbo and that is it. I don’t stop anybody hiring whatever structure to protect as they wish any tribal interest because for me if tribes were not necessary, God will not have created the Igbo tribe and allotted me to it.

“Having said that, we saw, we witnessed, and am glad we have been able to be part of that whole exercise, an election, open, transparent, cool, which has been and is still being applauded by not just the participants, Ndigbo, but the entire world.

“One of the reasons I am making this little statement is that I want everybody living here to feel free and to claim the success of Ndigbo in conducting for the first time, the election which Mr. Chairman, you (Iwu) conducted in Anambra State. Accept the entire gratitude of the entire people of Anambra State.

“I understand there are now a few voices now rising, saying, perhaps he didn’t do this quite so well as the chairman. If I have to comment on that, let me say this, if you even gave to every voter in that Anambra election from your pocket say a thousand naira each, there will still be complaints after some time that you didn’t ask for your wife’s permission before spending your own money. I acknowledge the goodness of that election. If you continue like this, I will endorse you for re-appointment.”

Iwu said he was on a working visit to the South-East to inspect a special project of INEC in Abia to set up a National Voters Registry that would serve as a repository of voters’ registers in Nigeria.

The INEC boss, who was accompanied by some resident electoral commissioners (RECs), thanked Ojukwu for the role he played to ensure that the election was free, fair, and peaceful, beginning from the campaigns to the day of the election.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by AloyEmeka5: 4:14am On Mar 29, 2010
Why not hire that Ekiti woman who fought PDP like hell?.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by mekusxxx: 4:22am On Mar 29, 2010
Anyaoku should run as fast as his legs can carry him. The motor-park tendency of Nigerian politics will sully his image before you say Jack.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by AloyEmeka5: 4:27am On Mar 29, 2010
mekusxxx:

Anyaoku should run as far as his legs can carry him. The motor-park tendeny of Nigerian politic will sully his image before you say Jack.

I agree.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by metalgong5(m): 6:45am On Mar 29, 2010
mekusxxx:

Anyaoku should run as fast as his legs can carry him. The motor-park tendency of Nigerian politics will sully his image before you say Jack.
Exactly my opinion . . . . These evil men are always out to rubbish well respected Igbo technocrats. As I said earlier, the overall system is the cause of INEC failures and not Prof Iwu. However, if the Jonathan still want to appoint a new INEC umpire, there are alot of people from other tribes willing to accept the job.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by mbulela: 7:22am On Mar 29, 2010
If he runs as fast as those legs of his can carry him, he should also relinquish the right to criticize whoever takes the position.
We need a few sane men and women to chase these Barbarians from the gates.
I am more worried about the level to which rumours have been raised in the Nigeira media.
The title says Jonathan is wooing Anyaoku, yet a line in the article says it seems unlikely that the man has been contacted with the offer.
All articles in Nigerian media are peppered with 'close sources' and sources close to xyz'.
It is becoming very ridiculous.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by mbulela: 7:25am On Mar 29, 2010
metal-gong:

Exactly my opinion . . . . These evil men are always out to rubbish well respected Igbo technocrats. As I said earlier, the overall system is the cause of INEC failures and not Prof Iwu. However, if the Jonathan still want to appoint a new INEC umpire, there are alot of people from other tribes willing to accept the job.

You belittle the evil that is Prof. Iwu
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by texazzpete(m): 8:40am On Mar 29, 2010
metal-gong:

Yeah right. Who controls the 'overall system' of INEC? If things aren't conducive for his job, why not blow the whistle?
We see him crowing and congratulating himself even when elections have been so obviously flawed.

Stop trying to whitewash the man's reputation when we all know better.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by doyin13(m): 8:58am On Mar 29, 2010
texazzpete:

Yeah right. Who controls the 'overall system' of INEC? If things aren't conducive for his job, why not blow the whistle?
We see him crowing and congratulating himself even when elections have been so obviously flawed.

Stop trying to whitewash the man's reputation when we all know better.

The thing tire me oo. . .

''The system is the fault'' has become so popular so quickly especially among
the politicians, you wonder if this form of self flagellation hasn't been aided by
public relations Nigerian style.

They want us to forget elections were successfully conducted under Professor Nwosu and
initially under Professor Guobadia in 1999. I guess there was no system in place
then.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by metalgong5(m): 9:13am On Mar 29, 2010
doyin13:

The thing tire me oo. . .

''The system is the fault'' has become so popular so quickly especially among
the politicians, you wonder if this form of self flagellation hasn't been aided by
public relations Nigerian style.

They want us to forget elections were successfully conducted under Professor Nwosu and
initially under Professor Guobadia in 1999. I guess there was no system in place
then.
By referring to the 1999 charade as a successfull election tells me that you might be pulling off some jokes.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by marvix(m): 9:15am On Mar 29, 2010
Why should Anyaoku run from d post? The problem with elections hav neva been d chairman, but who is @ d helms of affairs.
The 1999 elections were beta dan 2003 because Abdulsalami to an xtent was unbiased and didn't interfere with d electoral process like Obj later did and 2007 was terrible because Obj was fully in charge and I believe dat d failure of INEC shld be placed squarely at Objs door. Afta d 2007 elections we cld c some marked improvment even d Ekiti re run was beta dan most of d 2007 elections nd d Anambra elections shows dat elections can actully be conducted in dis country witout chaos.

This is a good time for INEC to b cleaned up and Anyaoku is up to d task most especialy now that we have a leadership lik Yaradua nd Jonathan.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by AloyEmeka5: 11:12am On Mar 29, 2010
I want that Ekiti iron woman to come and show them pepper but Jonathan will not allow her because that could be the end of PDP.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by Fhemmmy: 1:03pm On Mar 29, 2010
If everyone keep running how will the changes that we all cry for happen?
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by 77ken: 4:11pm On Mar 29, 2010
u guys saying anyaoku should run away are either paid agents of pdp or u re just dumb stupid, if every credible persons runs how do u expect the country to move forward. cowards. angry
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by calyx: 7:01pm On Mar 29, 2010
Is this a joke?
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by Meldrick(m): 7:35pm On Mar 29, 2010
metal-gong:

I get very angry when I see posts like this. Must you bring ethnicity into this. What has this got to do with rubbishing igbo technocrats. Prof. Wole Syinka was almost rubbished when he accepted the FRSC offer. Was he igbo. I advise you change your mentality.

@ post

Ojukwu is commending Iwu because APGA won the elections in Anambra. I don't know why people are very selfish in their views? Before now I am sure he must have written off Iwu but APGA won in Anambra so Iwu is the best for the job.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by doyin13(m): 8:14pm On Mar 29, 2010
metal-gong:

By referring to the 1999 charade as a successfull election tells me that you might be pulling off some jokes.

I noticed here, you did not mention the 1992 elections.

Perhaps because it was steered by an Igbo man.

And you mentioned earlier there is a tendency to rubbish Igbo technocrats.
I don' hear anyone ever rubbishing Nwosu's achievements anywhere abi?

Honestly. . .get rid of your paranoia. No one is out to get the Igbos.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by Arysexy(m): 8:30pm On Mar 29, 2010
In as much as Emeka Anyaoku is equal to the task, i would rather support them to give it to Prof Wole Soyinka, he will do better! Atleast he has a bigger reputation to protect.

The problem of election in naija is not the man @ the helm of affairs, it is the structure, he who plays d piper dictates the tunes, if INEC is made to be independent and d chairman not appointed by d presidency, thats when the chairman will be free to work bc he is not answerable to anybody.

Until electoral reform is done, if u like bring a saint to INEC, he will FAIL!
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 29, 2010
Even Kofi Annan can't conduct elections in Nigeria

If Nigerians and Politicians in general are not ready for free and fair elections nothing will change.

Anyaoku will not be in the over 700 LGA on election day not to talk of over God Knows how many voting wards we have.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by SapeleGuy: 9:01pm On Mar 29, 2010
Anyaoku should run far away from this position. Can't they find him something better to do?
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by bawomolo(m): 9:54pm On Mar 29, 2010
mikeansy:

Even Kofi Annan can't conduct elections in Nigeria

If Nigerians and Politicians in general are not ready for free and fair elections nothing will change.

Anyaoku will not be in the over 700 LGA on election day not to talk of over God Knows how many voting wards we have.

why the pessimism? aren't INEC paid the oversee these elections.
free and fair elections are possible.
Re: Jonathan Woos Anyaoku For INEC Job by Nobody: 10:01pm On Mar 29, 2010
bawomolo:

why the pessimism? aren't INEC paid the oversee these elections.
free and fair elections are possible.

Not being Pessimistic. Just highlighting the fact that our electoral missfortunes are more fundamental than who the INEC boss is.

(1) (Reply)

Afenifere Parleys Ijaw National Congress / Chief Loses Title Over Anti-uduaghan Publications / Nigerians Will Be Stu.pid If They Change Jonathan As Their President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.