Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,993 members, 7,828,507 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:44 AM

Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo (951 Views)

"Does Buhari Have A Covenant With Death?" - Femi Fani-Kayode Asks / The Nine Kinds Of People Supporting Buhari For A Second Term, By ‘Fisayo Soyombo / Not IBB, Nor OBJ… Meet The Men Who Will Deny Buhari A 2nd Term By Mayowa Tijani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by massinola(m): 8:03pm On Dec 03, 2017
President Buhari, if weighed on the scale of some expected deliverables such as security (specifically, fighting insurgency) and combating corruption, has performed five points above average. But if examined on the slab of economy, health, policy, national cohesion, impartiality, rule of law and fairness, I would say he has flunked the essential test of governance.

It is said that one good turn deserves another. Does President Muhammadu Buhari deserve a second term in office? Has he performed well to deserve another term?
These questions have palpitated in my head effectuating mixed feelings. The reason is that President Buhari, if weighed on the scale of some expected deliverables such as security (specifically, fighting insurgency) and combating corruption, has performed five points above average. But if examined on the slab of economy, health, policy, national cohesion, impartiality, rule of law and fairness, I would say he has flunked the essential test of governance.

Initially, I was one of those who rationalized every of Buhari’s administrative faux-pas, but I had to let my conscience find rest. Buhari has disappointed many of his non-fanatical admirers and supporters. He has disappointed me.

President Buhari and his party – the All Progressives Congress – made appetizing promises to Nigerians in the build-up to the 2015 presidential election, but none has been fulfilled. I stand to be challenged on this.

I do not want to sound malevolent in this article, but the Buhari government infected a relatively healthy economy with policy-epilepsy. That said, let me briefly examine just four of Buhari’s 2015 campaign promises.

On health, Buhari promised to “ensure that no Nigerian will have a reason to go outside of the country for medical treatment.”

Has this promised been fulfilled? Are there signs that it will be fulfilled in the next one year in the life of this administration?

On employment, the president promised to “target the creation of three million new jobs a year through industrialization, public work and agricultural expansion.”

Sadly, instead creating three million jobs, the Buhari government has thrown six million Nigerians into the job market.

On housing, the president promised to “create a mortgage market by reforming land ownership to give ordinary Nigerians easy access to title deeds.” This has not been achieved.

On electricity, it was promised that “the APC government shall vigorously pursue the expansion of electricity generation and distribution of up to 40,000 MW in 4 to 8 years.” Nigeria’s electricity generation currently oscillates between 2,500 MW and 3,500 MW.

I have chosen to state just four seducing and lofty promises the president and his party made during the 2015 presidential election campaign.

So, the question is, does Buhari deserve a second term in office? I cannot answer this question for Nigerians, but I have my answer.

I would welcome a debate on this piece.

http://saharareporters.com/2017/12/03/does-buhari-deserve-second-term-fredrick-nwabufo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by massinola(m): 8:05pm On Dec 03, 2017
Capital NO. Rather make Evans the kidnapper come rule. Nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by Jochabed(f): 8:07pm On Dec 03, 2017
What!!!!!! Its just like God giving a dead man a second chance and he still decides to go to hell..No

1 Like

Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by python1: 8:08pm On Dec 03, 2017
[s]
massinola:
President Buhari, if weighed on the scale of some expected deliverables such as security (specifically, fighting insurgency) and combating corruption, has performed five points above average. But if examined on the slab of economy, health, policy, national cohesion, impartiality, rule of law and fairness, I would say he has flunked the essential test of governance.

It is said that one good turn deserves another. Does President Muhammadu Buhari deserve a second term in office? Has he performed well to deserve another term?
These questions have palpitated in my head effectuating mixed feelings. The reason is that President Buhari, if weighed on the scale of some expected deliverables such as security (specifically, fighting insurgency) and combating corruption, has performed five points above average. But if examined on the slab of economy, health, policy, national cohesion, impartiality, rule of law and fairness, I would say he has flunked the essential test of governance.

Initially, I was one of those who rationalized every of Buhari’s administrative faux-pas, but I had to let my conscience find rest. Buhari has disappointed many of his non-fanatical admirers and supporters. He has disappointed me.

President Buhari and his party – the All Progressives Congress – made appetizing promises to Nigerians in the build-up to the 2015 presidential election, but none has been fulfilled. I stand to be challenged on this.

I do not want to sound malevolent in this article, but the Buhari government infected a relatively healthy economy with policy-epilepsy. That said, let me briefly examine just four of Buhari’s 2015 campaign promises.

On health, Buhari promised to “ensure that no Nigerian will have a reason to go outside of the country for medical treatment.”

Has this promised been fulfilled? Are there signs that it will be fulfilled in the next one year in the life of this administration?

On employment, the president promised to “target the creation of three million new jobs a year through industrialization, public work and agricultural expansion.”

Sadly, instead creating three million jobs, the Buhari government has thrown six million Nigerians into the job market.

On housing, the president promised to “create a mortgage market by reforming land ownership to give ordinary Nigerians easy access to title deeds.” This has not been achieved.

On electricity, it was promised that “the APC government shall vigorously pursue the expansion of electricity generation and distribution of up to 40,000 MW in 4 to 8 years.” Nigeria’s electricity generation currently oscillates between 2,500 MW and 3,500 MW.

I have chosen to state just four seducing and lofty promises the president and his party made during the 2015 presidential election campaign.

So, the question is, does Buhari deserve a second term in office? I cannot answer this question for Nigerians, but I have my answer.

http://saharareporters.com/2017/12/03/does-buhari-deserve-second-term-fredrick-nwabufo
[/s]
Whether or not Buhari deserves a second term, let the people that voted him for the first term say it. They will say it at the polls.
Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by Thewrath(m): 8:08pm On Dec 03, 2017
Lol
Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by psucc(m): 8:30pm On Dec 03, 2017
python1:
[s][/s]
Whether or not Buhari deserves a second term, let the people that voted him for the first term say it. They will say it at the polls.
Which reasonable person voted him if not the Almajiri and Afonjas,?

@op Buhari only deserves second death

7 Likes

Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by python1: 8:38pm On Dec 03, 2017
psucc:
Which reasonable person voted him if not the Almajiri and Afonjas,?

@op Buhari only deserves second death
Those "unreasonable" people are the set of people qualified to decide if he should go for second time or not, so why are now bringing the issue of whether or not he deserves a second term when you did not even vote him for the first term? Abeg, na we vote am, na we go still decide whether we want him again. Go and continue your propaganda abeg, worse was done when he was not even the incumbent and he cleared doubts.Same set of "unreasonable" people will still decide.
Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by magoo10(m): 8:41pm On Dec 03, 2017
Buhari have no business there in the first place, he should do better as a president of sharia Islamic caliphate.

6 Likes

Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by CharleyBright(m): 8:44pm On Dec 03, 2017
Na by Force?
Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 03, 2017
Buhari don dey compose his farewell speech grin

anything wey keep bubu pass 1min for 2019 may..

na national revolution..

bubu na disaster.. we can't wait to kick him out.

1 Like

Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by internationalman(m): 8:47pm On Dec 03, 2017
did he even deserve the first term

4 Likes

Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 03, 2017
I stand with Atiku

1 Like

Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by Nobody: 8:55pm On Dec 03, 2017
Atiku will address national issues..he is not a tribal bigot,his experience with the custom speaks volume of his economic ideas #Atikulate

3 Likes

Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by DMerciful(m): 9:30pm On Dec 03, 2017
Sai Baba till 2050 grin yeye dey smell undecided
Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 03, 2017
The question is......will you give Recession a second chance undecided undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by Oluwabusobomi(f): 11:19pm On Dec 03, 2017
Not at all

1 Like

Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by yarimo(m): 12:11am On Dec 04, 2017
massinola:

mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeew
Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by slyxavi(m): 12:39am On Dec 04, 2017
python1:
[s][/s]

1 Like

Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by slyxavi(m): 12:43am On Dec 04, 2017
python1:
[s][/s]

OMENKA HOW FAR NA

Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by blaqoracle: 1:31am On Dec 04, 2017
massinola:

instead of you to spend your lifetime looking for nnamdi KANU of blessed memory, you are here rating buhari, whom, in the first place, first place you did not vote.
So, suddenly you are now tired of Biafra.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Buhari Deserve A Second Term? By Fredrick Nwabufo by oduastates: 8:53pm On Dec 04, 2017
Fast forward to the Second Republic. Just as is happening today, the President Shehu Shagari administration was pretending that the country was making speedy progress under his lacklustre and utterly visionless, inept leadership. In his 1982 budget presentation to the National Assembly, President Shagari told the lawmakers that “The enumerated setbacks in our economy in 1981 notwithstanding, our GDP has shown a slight improvement…available indicators show an encouraging growth of 15% in the manufacturing sector. There is a 3% rate of growth in the agricultural sector. Furthermore, there are increases in investments. These are, without doubt, expressions of confidence which investors have in the resilience of Nigeria’s economy. This confidence has remained unshaken, despite prophesies of the local forecasters of gloom and doom, who do not know the difference between resilience and buoyancy.”

The reader can surely see the similarities here between this speech and President Goodluck Jonathan’s mid-term report that suffocated us with statistics indicating that we are all faring very well even as hunger, poverty, disease, joblessness, violence and ignorance stalk the land and public infrastructure lie prostrate across the country.

The ‘forecasters of gloom and doom’ referred to by President Shagari in the budget speech cited above was none other than Chief Obafemi Awolowo who, in mid-1981 had warned in an open letter to Shagari that the economy was fast approaching a precipice and that urgent steps be taken to salvage the situation. Suggesting several measures that could be taken to safeguard the economy, Awolowo also criticised certain actions taken by Shagari and asked: “Shehu, do you ever ask yourself the question ‘Cui bono'”?

In a scathing reply, most likely authored by his political adviser, the late Senator Chuba Okadigbo, Shagari told Awo: “My dear Chief, I never ask myself questions in Latin. I only ask myself questions in Hausa or English”. Ah! Those were the days! Shagari’s Economic Adviser, Professor SM Essang addressed an international press conference in London lampooning Awolowo and declaring that the economy was in sound health.

To cut a long story short, in a matter of months Awo’s prediction came true. The economy was in deep crisis. Eating humble pie, Shagari addressed the National Assembly seeking special permission to introduce austerity measures. I promptly and very urgently threw my high school economics text book authored by Professor Essang, ‘Intermediate Economics’ into the waste bin telling myself, ‘teacher stop teaching me nonsense’!

From 2013

That economic crisis signalled the beginning of the end of the second republic. Both Shagari and his economic advisers were dangerously deluded. The second republic did not survive the debacle.

Fast forward to 2013 Nigeria. The more presidential aides deny such a glaring fact, the more the vast majority of Nigerians are convinced that the Jonathan presidency is bent on destabilizing the Rivers State government and getting the governor, Rotimi Amaechi, out of office at all costs and by all means no matter how foul.

Having successfully hounded Governor Timpre Sylva of Bayelsa State out of office and imposed Seriake Dickson on the state as governor in a highly militarized election, Jonathan and his inner clique obviously believe they can do the same in Rivers. Amaechi’s sin? He is believed to harbour ambition for higher office in 2015 – an aspiration which Jonathan strategists think can hurt the President’s second term ambition.

Thus, the police in Rivers State provided security for five members of the 32-member state House of Assembly to sit and attempt impeaching the Speaker illegally but for Amaechi’s timely intervention. The same police looked the other way as a mob attacked four northern governors who paid a solidarity visit to Amaechi in Port Harcourt. Mr Mbu John Mbu, the Rivers State Police commissioner, obviously reading the presidency’s body language, has been openly rude to and disdainful of the governor without rebuke.

President Jonathan, received the arrow head of the anti-Amaechi forces, the Minister of State for Education, Mr Nyeson Wike, and the five minority members of the House whose violation of the 1999 constitution sparked the recent violence in the legislative chamber, at the presidential Villa in Abuja. This was a tacit recognition by the presidency of Evan BapakayeBipi, who has been absurdly, preposterously and ignominiously parading himself as the Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly.

Dame Patience Jonathan openly told 16 Bishops from the South-South, who visited her in Abuja that Amaechi defied her request that some structures should not be demolished in her hometown, Okrika, and that he removed the Chairman of a local government who held a reception in her honour. Does this not suggest that these are part of the causes of Amaechi’s travails and that the presidency is deeply involved in the Rivers crisis?

Despite the clear danger that the Rivers crisis portends for democracy in Nigeria, presidential aide, Dr.Doyin Okupe, avers blissfully that all is well. In his words, “The crisis in Rivers State in no way poses any threat to the nation’s democracy. Nigeria remains peaceful and cannot in any way be threatened by political developments in the state…The situation in Rivers State is purely a localized political matter and has no dangerous or far reaching consequences for the peace and security of the nation”.

This is a very dangerous delusion. Has Dr. Okupe pondered what would happen if Governor Amaechi drops dead today even if of natural causes? Has he considered what would have happened if northerners had retaliated against South-South indigenes in their states for the treatment meted out to their governors in Port Harcourt? Is he not disturbed that an ordinarily taciturn General Abdusalam Abubakar has uncharacteristically come out to warn publicly that the Rivers crisis may torpedo the country’s democracy if not quickly checked? Does he not think that there may be something the General knows that he does not?

Is Dr Okupe aware that there are currently military task forces operating in at least 28 states in the country – an indication of pervasive instability? This column sincerely hopes that President Jonathan does not share this dangerous delusion. It is heart- warming that the President on Thursday vowed to curb political excesses in the country while receiving the leadership of the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA) at the Presidential Villa. The earlier he does that the better. For, the degeneration of the Rivers crisis may signal the ‘Nunc Dimittis’ of this democracy. God forbid.

(1) (Reply)

Another Open Letter To Alhaji Atiku Abubakar / You Must Contest – ‘189groups’ Endorse Buhari For 2019 / Where Is Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.