Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,475 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation (2909 Views)

A Nigerian Scammer Who Sold A Fake Airport To An International Bank ! / Man Dumped Wife For Online Lover Who Turned Out To Be A Nigerian Scammer / “Most Wanted” Nigerian Scammer Arrested In Florida (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Nobody: 12:49pm On Mar 29, 2010

DANIEL HURST
March 29, 2010 - 5:33PM

Fraud victim 'Ann' receives a cheque from Detective Inspector Brian Hay for a quarter of the money she lost in a Nigerian love scam.

Fraud victim 'Ann' receives a cheque from Detective Inspector Brian Hay for a quarter of the money she lost in a Nigerian love scam. Photo: Daniel Hurst

A Gold Coast divorcee who sent $45,000 to a Nigerian scammer only realised she had been defrauded when her son performed an internet search and found evidence the man was a fake.

The romance scam victim, 56, told her story to the media today as Queensland police handed over a cheque for one-quarter of the money she lost during the two-year online relationship.

Detective Superintendent Brian Hay, of the Fraud and Corporate Crime Group, said Nigerian authorities had seized the 25-year-old university student scammer's assets and passed on cash to the victim in an Australian first.

The partial-reimbursement comes a year after the man was found guilty by a Nigerian court and sentenced to 19 years in jail.

Victim Ann, who did not want her surname to be published, said she was embarrassed that she had been duped but the man had been "very professional".

The scammer posed as a middle-aged British businessman but also sent emails purporting to be from his boss, a travel agent, a police officer and another man.

He referred her to a website for his supposed employer which contained his name.

The man claimed to have been involved in a car crash and required money for medical expenses, but the deception was exposed when he sent her a picture of the accident scene.

Ann's son found that the image - sourced from a real BMW crash in Europe - did not match the man's story.

"I just needed company , he really made me believe," Ann said.

Detective Superintendent Hay said Ann was lucky and most scam victims never saw a penny back.

"It's the first time in Australia we were actually able to provide money back to a victim of fraud that was perpetrated by offenders based in Nigeria," he said.

"This is not a normal story. The reality is that if anyone sends money , they will not recover funds or see the offender arrested."

The money was recovered by the Nigerian Economic and Financial Crime Commission.

Queensland police worked with the organisation, as well as the Nigerian High Commission, to track down the offender.

Superintendent Hay said he hoped the tough sentence would act as a deterrent amid fears more Australians will fall victim as more internet access is rolled out through Nigeria.

"Romance scams have exploded 1000 per cent over the last three years," he said.

"Queenslanders are now sending between $800,000 and $1 million a month to Nigeria, and unfortunately the vast majority is victims' mone
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Fhemmmy: 12:55pm On Mar 29, 2010
This is very sad . . . . .Nigerian are viewed all over the world as rogues, thieves and just criminals, thanks to all these folks
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by mrofficial(m): 1:02pm On Mar 29, 2010
Naija, i hail thee. shocked
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Fhemmmy: 1:04pm On Mar 29, 2010
Just too sad and i dont see things change anytime soon
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Nobody: 2:15pm On Mar 29, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Just too sad and i dont see things change anytime soon

In my office I have this Liberian colleague who is always taunting me in front of Oyinbo colleagues on how corrupt Nigerians are.

If it was not for patience and christianity , hmm, I wonder what I would have done to him. grin

The moment you mention that you are a Nigerian, by default no one trusts you.

Another case happened when a friend of mine who is also a head of department in a blue chip company in Abuja came for a visit.

I was surprised to get his SOS call from London asking for financial help as he could not carry out any transactions with his Nigerian issued credit card.

Sad in deed.
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by otawa: 3:26pm On Mar 29, 2010
"Queenslanders are now sending between $800,000 and $1 million a month to Nigeria, and unfortunately the vast majority is victims' mone

This is good source of 'foreign exchange'

Why do we waste money on Foreign Investors? who only want to steal from us using 'legal system'

Can you imagine what we can do with $12million be sent to Nigeria every year from all major 'developed countries'

These 419 boyz are doing wonders.

If that is true, what is all the WESTERN companies during in Nigeria?
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by jumobi1(m): 3:36pm On Mar 29, 2010
Daft lady
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 29, 2010
otawa:

This is good source of 'foreign exchange'

Why do we waste money on Foreign Investors? who only want to steal from us using 'legal system'

Can you imagine what we can do with $12million be sent to Nigeria every year from all major 'developed countries'

These 419 boyz are doing wonders.

If that is true,  what is all the WESTERN companies during in Nigeria?

I am talking about  individual transactions.
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Sagamite(m): 3:59pm On Mar 29, 2010
Fhemmmy:

This is very sad . . . . .Nigerian are viewed all over the world as rogues, thieves and just criminals, thanks to all these folks

Check your facts, mate. And don't be making such statements.
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by AngieFan(f): 4:35pm On Mar 29, 2010
jumobi1:

Daft lady
She's Daft but that still doesn't excuse the crime. . . .or does it?
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Beaf: 4:37pm On Mar 29, 2010
Why did a 56 year old woman want a 25 year old student?
If you ask me, its birds of a feather flock. . .
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by calyx: 4:47pm On Mar 29, 2010
Beaf:

How would she know hes 25? All shes seen are bogus pictures mayb of the 50-60 yr old man she seeks
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by sesman(m): 4:49pm On Mar 29, 2010
Beaf:

The 25 year old posed as a middle aged british man, the crime has to be condemed, it is wrong, any form of fraud is wrong, dont care what the circumstance might be
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Beaf: 4:51pm On Mar 29, 2010
^
Yeah, I just saw that in the article.

calyx:

How would she know hes 25? All shes seen are bogus pictures mayb of the 50-60 yr old man she seeks

You're right, she was indeed thought he was a middle aged British man.
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Afam(m): 5:04pm On Mar 29, 2010
frosbel:

I disagree with this. Such generalizations should not be allowed to go unchallenged.

I have companies and individuals from different parts of the world wanting to go into one form of business relationship/partnership or the other and I am not only a Nigerian I am based in Nigeria.

Over 60% of the online scams out there are being perpetrated by the Western countries and I find it hard to understand why the relevant authorities have not been able to emphasize on this fact.
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by jumobi1(m): 5:07pm On Mar 29, 2010
AngieFan:

She's Daft but that still doesn't excuse the crime. . . .or does it?

??
She is daft!!!! I see we agree on that.
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by orin1981(m): 6:27pm On Mar 29, 2010
why post a news thats several years old and re-tarnish your image again?
this news is about 3 years old. if you keep googling everything bad about any country in the world, you will find many. why are some people so hopeless and downright negative?
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by hatch: 6:49pm On Mar 29, 2010
orin1981:

this news is about 3 years old. if you keep googling everything bad about any country in the world, you will find many. why are some people so hopeless and downright negative?

Haven't you heard that Frosbel is doing intensive research work for his thesis on the state of the Nation Nigeria.
How else do you want him to defend his agitation for Nigeria's Break up while he is far away in the UK. grin
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 29, 2010
orin1981:

The essence of this story was that the young woman recovered her money ONLY RECENTLY.

So despite the fact that the crime may have occurred a while back, her perseverance has paid of.

Regarding bad news about Nigeria, kindly tell me any good news coming out of that country as we speak.

Is it boko haram , jos riots, leadership crisis, delta issues, armed robbery, kidnapping, 419 etc etc etc.
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by marvix(m): 7:50pm On Mar 29, 2010
Quote from frosbel
Regarding bad news about Nigeria, kindly tell me any good news coming out of that country as we speak.

Is it boko haram , jos riots, leadership crisis, delta issues, armed robbery, kidnapping, 419 etc etc etc.

Frosbel; u only c wat ur eyes wants to c.
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Sagamite(m): 6:08am On Mar 30, 2010
orin1981:

Because he is a caused soul!

A self-degenerating foool!

frosbel:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Gatwick-Airport-Adebayo-Ogunlesi-Tells-Jeff-Randall-He-Will-Shake-Up-Britains-Airport-Business/Article/200910415421255

http://www.news.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15335&catid=22&Itemid=124

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/3299-nigerians-win-world-young-scientists-competition.html

http://allafrica.com/stories/200910050020.html

http://www.nigeriancuriosity.com/2009/12/grammy-nomination-for-femi-kuti.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5701f8ec-7503-11de-9ed5-00144feabdc0,dwp_uuid=9e5befe2-74d9-11de-8ad5-00144feabdc0.html

http://www.felaonbroadway.com/

[flash=400,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/YXTU3GW_s0g[/flash]
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Nobody: 9:25am On Mar 30, 2010
Sagamite:

Because he is a caused soul!

A self-degenerating foool!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Gatwick-Airport-Adebayo-Ogunlesi-Tells-Jeff-Randall-He-Will-Shake-Up-Britains-Airport-Business/Article/200910415421255

http://www.news.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15335&catid=22&Itemid=124

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/3299-nigerians-win-world-young-scientists-competition.html

http://allafrica.com/stories/200910050020.html

http://www.nigeriancuriosity.com/2009/12/grammy-nomination-for-femi-kuti.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5701f8ec-7503-11de-9ed5-00144feabdc0,dwp_uuid=9e5befe2-74d9-11de-8ad5-00144feabdc0.html

http://www.felaonbroadway.com/

[flash=400,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/YXTU3GW_s0g[/flash]

You just posted a load of junk.

Except for the achievement by the young scientists and one or two others, every other story you linked is  totally unrelated to real issues, real economics affecting Nigeria and not the UK, real leadership in our beloved country, but most important of all an improvement of living standards for all Nigerians and not just a few.

Next time please post logical, sensible stories, not silly topics like Femi Kuti won a Grammy and Oprah Wilfery celebrates Nollywood.
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Sagamite(m): 9:55am On Mar 30, 2010
frosbel:

You just posted a load of junk.

Except for the achievement by the young scientists and one or two others, every other story you linked is  totally unrelated to real issues, real economics affecting Nigeria and not the UK, real leadership in our beloved country, but most important of all an improvement of living standards for all Nigerians and not just a few.

Next time please post logical, sensible stories, not silly topics like Femi Kuti won a Grammy and Oprah Wilfery celebrates Nollywood.

So an emerging middle-class is not real economics?

I thought your point earlier was that no good news can be found associated with Nigeria and that we are treated with disdain anywhere, when did you turn it to economics?
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by hatch: 10:20am On Mar 30, 2010
frosbel:

The essence of this story was that the young woman recovered her money ONLY RECENTLY.

So despite the fact that the crime may have occurred a while back, her perseverance has paid of.

So much for id.iots like these to think that they do any other thing than pick and publish only the negatives news that emerge from Nigeria. Its very easy to decipher that you will never wish Nigeria well in the first place that is why all your eyes ever sees is the negatives. undecided
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Nobody: 10:59am On Mar 30, 2010
hatch#:

So much for id.iots like these to think that they do any other thing than pick and publish only the negatives news that emerge from Nigeria. Its very easy to decipher that you will never wish Nigeria well in the first place that is why all your eyes ever sees is the negatives. undecided

I am 100% sure that you are not that foolish.

Google Nigeria and tell me if there is any good news other than Nollywood and Sports.

Common go and do some work , Google and come back here and paste relevant news that is positive and beneficial to the entity called Nigeria.

If you cannot then do not come back and spout rubbish.

And by the way contrary to your myopic view, if you carefully analyse most stories on this forum which you classify as bad news, the ulterior objective is to challenge our mental thought process, to offer solutions and make recommendations
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:25am On Mar 30, 2010
frosbel:

I am 100% sure that you are not that foolish.

Google Nigeria and tell me if there is any good news other than Nollywood and Sports.

Common go and do some work , Google and come back here and paste relevant news that is positive and beneficial to the entity called Nigeria.

If you cannot then do not come back and spout rubbish.

And by the way contrary to your myopic view, if you carefully analyse most stories on this forum which you classify as bad news, the ulterior objective is to challenge our mental thought process, to offer solutions and make recommendations

All your posts smacks of immaturity and you might as well leave Nigeria and Nigerians alone. So the old lady was shaken down for money, the guy was caught, you did not even applaud the fact that he was caught and maybe at least things are looking up for fighting crime, no all you want to see is what you will see.
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Nobody: 11:28am On Mar 30, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

All your posts smacks of immaturity and you might as well leave Nigeria and Nigerians alone. So the old lady was shaken down for money, the guy was caught, you did not even applaud the fact that he was caught and maybe at least things are looking up for fighting crime, no all you want to see is what you will see.

Obviously you will have noted he was caught.

I am beginning to think there are many yahoo boys on the Nairaland. grin grin grin grin
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:29am On Mar 30, 2010
frosbel:

Obviously you will have noted he was caught.

I am beginning to think there are many yahoo boys on the Nairaland. grin grin grin grin
And how does the above have to do with your penchant to look for everything wrong with naija? huh?
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Nobody: 11:31am On Mar 30, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

And how does the above have to do with your penchant to look for everything wrong with naija? huh?

huh ? Duh ?

Why pick on me ? You might as well paste this comment on all the bad news topics here on Nairaland today,  grin
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by hatch: 11:48am On Mar 30, 2010
@ frosbel
At first you appeared to be an intelligent young man but its very clear what you really are now undecided
Its sad and pathetic but fact remains that arguing with you when it comes to issues like Nigeria is like screaming at a brick wall.

Your types are better far away but unfortunately you still torment us like some kind of Obanje Evil Spirit cry cry
Re: Photo Finish For Nigerian Scammer - Will Nigeria Ever Shed Her Bad Reputation by Nobody: 11:56am On Mar 30, 2010
hatch#:

@ frosbel
At first you appeared to be an intelligent young man but its very clear what you really are now undecided
Its sad and pathetic but fact remains that arguing with you when it comes to issues like Nigeria is like screaming at a brick wall.

Your types are better far away but unfortunately you still torment us like some kind of Obanje Evil Spirit cry cry

Hatch its so simple, but you seem to be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Just ignore me and stop commenting.

I was away from nairaland for a few years and came back recently , so when my engagements become more hectic, I will be away again. I hope you will be happy during that period.

sighs

(1) (Reply)

IN PICTURES: South Africans Protest "Crime Against Humanity" By Apartheid Israel / Black Axxe Vs Eiye One Put Under Moving Train - VIDEO / Yahoo Boys Running Mad In The Street Of Enugu Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.