Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert (1823 Views)

Top 10 Most Well Trained Special Military Forces On Earth / Kenya Attacks Nigeria: You Must See These Most Annoying Pictures / Security Forces Burst Boko Haram Intelligence Network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by Nobody: 2:00pm On Mar 29, 2010
Nigeria: Security forces on alert after threats

(AP) – 40 minutes ago

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria — Authorities say Nigerian police and immigration agents are on alert after text messages threatened new violence by a radical Islamic sect.

Assistant Police Superintendent Adamu Isa Azare says remaining members of the Boko Haram sect have threatened to attack the government after recent religious violence in central Nigeria. Police in armored tanks have set up around Maiduguri, the site of violence last year that left 700 people dead.

Boko Haram — which means "Western education is sacrilege" in the local Hausa language — has campaigned for the implementation of strict Shariah law. Its members rioted and attacked police stations and private homes in late July, sparking a police crackdown that left its leader dead.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iNCU46VYMVf0VzhqkKJUus45PrDAD9EOBAH00

Nigeria's self-styled Taliban militant Islamist sect, whose short-lived uprising was brutally put down by the security forces last year, has threatened to widen its activities beyond the borders.

"Islam doesn't recognise international boundaries, we will carry out our operations anywhere in the world if we can have the chance," said Musa Tanko, spokesman of the Boko Haram sect, in a rare interview given to AFP on Sunday.

"The United States is the number one target for its oppression and aggression against Muslim nations particularly in Iraq and Afghanistan and its blind support to Israel in its killings of our Palestinian brethren," Tanko said, adjusting his starched bottle green kaftan.

Thousands of Boko Haram Islamic sect militia launched an armed insurrection in July 2009 from their enclave in the northern city of Maiduguri and several other cities in the region in a doomed bid to establish an Islamic state.

"We will launch fiercer attacks than Iraqi or Afghan Mujahedeen (Islamic fighters) against our enemies throughout the world, particularly the US, if the chance avails itself within the confines of what Islam prescribes but for now our attention is focused on Nigeria which is our starting point," Tanko said, as he placed a black file folder on his lap.

Slim, dark, chin-bearded and soft-spoken, Tanko, 30, betrayed no emotion as he spoke under a defoliated tree, intermittently wiping sweat off his glistening forehead with a white handkerchief, while his four colleagues nodded in approval between pauses.

The group draws its inspiration from the Afghan Taliban and sees Taliban spiritual leader Mullah Umar and the leader of Al Qaeda, Osama bin Laden, as its champions, Tanko said.

"We see Mullah Umar and Osama bin Laden as the true champions of Islam who are fighting Allah's enemies and our allegiance and support go to them although we don't have any contact with them yet," Tanko said.

Tanko said the group was not daunted by the police's extra-judicial killings of its members by security forces during the July rebellion.

Nigerian police and troops crushed the uprising after a four-day street battle that claimed more than 800 lives, mostly of sect members.

The killings, he said, "have made us more determined and committed in our struggle. We are undeterred," Tanko said in the local Hausa dialect.

Qatar-based Al Jazeera television station aired five minutes of footage in February showing policemen shooting unarmed Boko Haram sect members outside a police headquarters in Maiduguri.

"The gruesome killings of our brothers , has not in any way dampened our spirit, in fact it has made us more steadfast and determined in our holy struggle to oust the secular regime and entrench a just Islamic government," Tanko said in northern Nigeria's commercial capital Kano.

The interview is the first the group granted since the rebellion was put down, forcing them to go underground.

The video footage drew local and international outcry, forcing Nigeria's Acting President Goodluck Jonathan to order an investigation which led to the arrest of 17 police officers.

Sect leader Muhammad Yusuf was allegedly gunned down by police hours after his capture.

The group, originally called Nigerian Taliban, made its debut in January 2003 when it set up a base in Kanamma village, northeastern Yobe state near the border with Niger. It attacked police stations, killing policemen and carting away ammunition. Scores of militants were killed, some arrested while many went underground.

In September of the same year they regrouped and launched attacks on police stations near the border with Cameroon. Around two dozen were killed in clashes with Nigerian troops, several arrested and the rest disappeared in mountains.

The group, whose name means "Western education is sin" in the local dialect, initially drew its membership mostly from young graduates and university dropouts who reject anything Western.

"We have shown capacity to regroup and re-launch attacks in the face of crackdown and anybody who thinks the last has been heard of us is mistaken.

"We believe what we are doing is divine worship and ideology cannot be defeated through repression," Tanko said.

http://www.africasia.com/services/news/newsitem.php?area=africa&item=100329123537.m2vwjz19.php
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by FrankC3: 2:16pm On Mar 29, 2010
This is exactly the thinking of any 'devoted' muslim. You see how peaceful these guys are.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by Nobody: 2:23pm On Mar 29, 2010
Frank-C:

This is exactly the thinking of any 'devoted' muslim. You see how peaceful these guys are.

I am praying that my Muslim friends 18 Platoon et al will not see this article and start accusing me of Islamophobia. grin grin

I am just reporting the news.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by hatch: 2:29pm On Mar 29, 2010
Another attention seeking almanjiri i guess  undecided
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by bashdecash(m): 2:33pm On Mar 29, 2010
I dont think is true, it is just another media propaganda. they are working so hard to make us hate each other so that the country will fall apart, hence vindicating their their assertion that Nigeria will divide by 2015.

BEWARE!
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by Nobody: 2:38pm On Mar 29, 2010
bashdecash:

I dont think is true, it is just another media propaganda. they are working so hard to make us hate each other so that the country will fall apart, hence vindicating their their assertion that Nigeria will divide by 2015.

BEWARE!

I was asking a few guys yesterday, we have never had anything like this in Northern Nigeria ever until now.

And why this Year 2010 ? Since the suicide bomber was arrested its been one crisis after another. undecided

What is really going on behind the scenes ?

But then again this news was reported by AP who are always or should I say mostly unbiased when reporting the news.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by FrankC3: 2:43pm On Mar 29, 2010
bashdecash:

BEWARE!

You dont also think it is true that Boko Haram exists and that one vocal Musa Tanko is their equivalent of Gbomo Jomo? Oh!, i forget that we are trying to be politically correct here, hence, Ghadaffi is a 'mad man'!! Infact,  Northern Nigerian muslims hate Osama bin Laden and actually, they also love what is going on in Iraq.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by bashdecash(m): 2:46pm On Mar 29, 2010
that is it my brother, if you go back to the history lane of so many countries, such kind of propaganda where used to destroy them. consider these verifications:

1- why hasn't this so called Tanko spoke with any of the Nigerian newspapers especially Desert Herald that are very good in carrying such kind of messages?

2- I am a Muslim, and i think i know at least by name any religious spokesman (valid or invalid), but i have not heard of this so called Tanko in Kano.

i think is just a propaganda.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by hatch: 2:48pm On Mar 29, 2010
frosbel:

I was asking a few guys yesterday, we have never had anything like this in Northern Nigeria ever until now.

And why this Year 2010 ? Since the suicide bomber was arrested its been one crisis after another. undecided

What is really going on behind the scenes ?

But then again this news was reported by AP who are always or should I say mostly unbiased when reporting the news.

The question is how did your much respected Associated Press get this news source ?  
It's clearly displayed that 90 % of the information in this article is still hovering around the Boko Haram crisis of last year while the other 10% focuses on the almanjiri's pipeline dreams. undecided
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by bashdecash(m): 2:50pm On Mar 29, 2010
Frank-C:

You dont also think it is true that Boko Haram exists and that one vocal Musa Tanko is their equivalent of Gbomo Jomo? Oh!, i forget that we are trying to be politically correct here, hence, Ghadaffi is a 'mad man'!! Infact,  Northern Nigerian muslims hate Osama bin Laden and actually, they also love what is going on in Iraq.  

you see, i stay in Maiduguri and i was there when the Boko Haram uprising happened. in fact their base is just not morethan 1 km from my house. the fact remains thesame that i dont believe in anybody called Tanko, 30 etc as a leader in Boko Haram.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by Nobody: 2:52pm On Mar 29, 2010
bashdecash:

you see, i stay in Maiduguri and i was there when the Boko Haram uprising happened. in fact their base is just not morethan 1 km from my house. the fact remains thesame that i dont believe in anybody called Tanko, 30 etc as a leader in Boko Haram.

So maybe you are right, some group of people might be attempting to destabilise the country through these statements.

Not sure but I will do some more digging.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by Nobody: 3:54pm On Mar 29, 2010

(AP) – 40 minutes ago

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria — Authorities say Nigerian police and immigration agents are on alert after text messages threatened new violence by a radical Islamic sect.

Assistant Police Superintendent Adamu Isa Azare says remaining members of the Boko Haram sect have threatened to attack the government after recent religious violence in central Nigeria. Police in armored tanks have set up around Maiduguri, the site of violence last year that left 700 people dead.

Boko Haram — which means "Western education is sacrilege" in the local Hausa language — has campaigned for the implementation of strict Shariah law. Its members rioted and attacked police stations and private homes in late July, sparking a police crackdown that left its leader dead.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by FrankC3: 4:07pm On Mar 29, 2010
frosbel:

(AP) – 40 minutes ago

Still 'propaganda'. Infact, my friend from Maiduguri has it on good authority that Nigeria security agencies have been paid to destabilize the country since there is no Mr Tanko anywhere.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 29, 2010
Frank-C:

Still 'propaganda'. Infact, my friend from Maiduguri has it on good authority that Nigeria security agencies have been paid to destabilize the country since there is no Mr Tanko anywhere.

So is it not a greater danger if these events are orchestrated by a few disgruntled elements undecided

What are the SSS doing about this embarassed

I think that it is time that the security aparatus start to nip these threats in the bud. angry

May our dear God help Nigeria this year. kiss
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by bashdecash(m): 4:12pm On Mar 29, 2010
@ Frosbel,

bros, am still in Maiduguri and also have access to any security information in the state. their is nothing like text messages flying around and neither any armoured tank patrol going on.

am sitting on a high building right now as am typing this and nothing is happening in Maiduguri and no any rumour going on. unless if their is someone who is also reading this topic in NL, i doubt if someone heard of such thing. LOL

so bros, forget the propaganda.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by Nobody: 4:22pm On Mar 29, 2010
bashdecash:

@ Frosbel,

bros, am still in Maiduguri and also have access to any security information in the state. their is nothing like text messages flying around and neither any armoured tank patrol going on.

am sitting on a high building right now as am typing this and nothing is happening in Maiduguri and no any rumour going on. unless if their is someone who is also reading this topic in NL, i doubt if someone heard of such thing. LOL

so bros, forget the propaganda.

Thanks, but why is such a reputable organisation repoting this news worldwide ?

Hmm, anyway lets leave it to rest and hope it is not a real threat.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by Nobody: 4:23pm On Mar 29, 2010
frosbel:

Thanks, but why is such a reputable organisation repoting this news worldwide ?

Hmm, anyway lets leave it to rest and hope it is not a real threat.

By the way how is the North these days ,lol. grin grin grin

I was in Bauchi state and Kano for 6 years and enjoyed it apart from one or 2 incidents. Otherwise it was very calm and quite as at then.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by bawomolo(m): 4:37pm On Mar 29, 2010
the same ones that were alert during the jos crisis.

the nigerian police force has little to no credibility
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by bashdecash(m): 5:21pm On Mar 29, 2010
frosbel:

By the way how is the North these days ,lol. grin grin grin

I was in Bauchi state and Kano for 6 years and enjoyed it apart from one or 2 incidents. Otherwise it was very calm and quite as at then.

bros, i have the belief that no place on earth is safe, all we need is the protection of the Almighty God. Is natural for non-indigenes to be jittery in a strange environment. it happens anywhere in the world.

North is cool as u know it.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by slap1(m): 6:26pm On Mar 29, 2010
bashdecash:

bros, i have the belief that no place on earth is safe, all we need is the protection of the Almighty God. Is natural for non-indigenes to be jittery in a strange environment. it happens anywhere in the world.

It appears u are just out of ur siesta. Wash ur face with cold water, then come post again.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by slap1(m): 6:48pm On Mar 29, 2010
bashdecash:

It appears u are just out of ur siesta. Wash ur face with cold water, then come post again.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by bashdecash(m): 6:58pm On Mar 29, 2010
slap1:

It appears u are just out of your siesta. Wash your face with cold water, then come post again.

ok, i have done as you said. then tell me where is safe so i can also move. is it me that is safe in the south or is it you that is safe in the North?

is it Iraq, Afghanistan, Russia, London, New york, Jerusalem, sudan, etc? where?

prove me if i am wrong
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by 18platoon(m): 9:19pm On Mar 29, 2010
@frosbel, no mate i wont accuse you of any ISLAMOPHOBIA, afterall you're just alerting people to be forewarned, but i dont share the ideology of boko haram, they're just like REV. KING in kirikiri, they're just silly rabble rousers. Anyway has anybody claim responsibility for the subway bombings in moscow today? frosbel pls let me who is responsible, cheers.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by Nobody: 10:44pm On Mar 29, 2010
18 platoon:

@frosbel, no mate i wont accuse you of any ISLAMOPHOBIA, afterall you're just alerting people to be forewarned, but i dont share the ideology of boko haram, they're just like REV. KING in kirikiri, they're just silly rabble rousers. Anyway has anybody claim responsibility for the subway bombings in moscow today? frosbel pls let me who is responsible, cheers.

Chechnya Terrorists, shocked
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by orin1981(m): 1:04am On Mar 30, 2010
@all

ignore this guy or girl or whatever or frosbel. just some bored dude who has nothing to do besides visit google.com and copy paste unfiltered information without reading through it let alone judging if its balanced or just trash. this is what the political forum moderator should be doing but this forum has become a trash can filled with yamayama posts.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 30, 2010
orin1981:

@all

ignore this guy or girl or whatever or frosbel. just some bored dude who has nothing to do besides visit google.com and copy paste unfiltered information without reading through it let alone judging if its balanced or just trash. this is what the political forum moderator should be doing but this forum has become a trash can filled with yamayama posts.

I am a guy for your info.

The truth hurts, does it not?

You think Nairaland is Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia where you suppress truth.

The truth has got to be told and by the way young man I did not write these articles, these are articles researched, documented over time and published by well versed, educationally articulate and unbiased authors and journalists.

So if you want the moderator to suppress freedom of speech then you do not belong here, you can go to forums such as www.islamicboard.com.

Thanks,
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by citizenY(m): 9:43am On Mar 30, 2010
@FROSBEL,

We have seen your prowess and prejudice. i think you should move on.
There is no need hiding behind your laptop. Perhaps you should move to the
religious section and spread yourself. Leave the political section for decent folk.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by Nobody: 9:50am On Mar 30, 2010
citizenY:

@FROSBEL,

We have seen your prowess and prejudice. i think you should move on.
There is no need hiding behind your laptop. Perhaps you should move to the
religious section and spread yourself. Leave the political section for decent folk.

Politically correct and ignorant is what I call people who like an Ostrich bury their head in the sand despite all obvious signs around them.

This is a news article published in a trusted paper if you cared to read the link.

What makes you think I am prejudiced because I try to engage the forum on real time issues affecting Nigeria as a whole. undecided

Please pass on and stop making comments if you cannot logically deduce any probable answers to my posted articles and arguement.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by bashdecash(m): 10:38am On Mar 30, 2010
@Frosbel,

i keep on wondering why you still believe in your source despite what i have been telling you since yesterday. if what your source have said is true, why then did we not hear anything since yesterday from our local media or friends?

have you got no friends in Maiduguri to ask them whether they have seen armoured tanks around? or rather any Northerner as a friend to ask whether he has ever heard the name MUSA TANKO as a scholar or BOKO HARAM leader.

Haba, are we just arguing or we are trying to really see the truth?
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 30, 2010
bashdecash:

@Frosbel,

i keep on wondering why you still believe in your source despite what i have been telling you since yesterday. if what your source have said is true, why then did we not hear anything since yesterday from our local media or friends? 

have you got no friends in Maiduguri to ask them whether they have seen armoured tanks around? or rather any Northerner as a friend to ask whether he has ever heard the name MUSA TANKO as a scholar or BOKO HARAM leader.

Haba, are we just arguing or we are trying to really see the truth?

No no, I am no longer arguing about this specific incident, thanks for your info.

I was refering to some comments here from a few chaps which were not a true reflection of my intentions.

Some people immediately call me Islamophobic when I post these stories ignoring the fact that of the hundreds of posts I have a made only a very few bear any reference or relevance to Islam and this has only been the case recently especially with regard to the JOS crisis.

However some disgruntled elements are trying to stifle any speech or debate that mentions radical Islam and its effects worldwide. Did you hear about the 2 suicide bombers in Russia yesterday who killed 40 innocent people and maimed hundreds.

Some people would rather I do not mention this or even discuss it here.

But thanks for your correction  yesterday, the original matter has been laid to rest.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by bashdecash(m): 11:09am On Mar 30, 2010
of course i heard about what happened in Russia yesterday, no group yet claimed responsibility of the terror attack. i also learnt that Russian officials are pointing accusing finger on some islamic group.

i watched a movie "Body of Lies" by Leonardo de Caprio, it made me to doubt any suicide bombing and regard it as an inside job just like the Mutallab case which is still not clear.

anyway, that the game nations play.
Re: Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert by Nobody: 11:14am On Mar 30, 2010
bashdecash:

of course i heard about what happened in Russia yesterday, no group yet claimed responsibility of the terror attack. i also learnt that Russian officials are pointing accusing finger on some islamic group.

i watched a movie "Body of Lies" by Leonardo de Caprio, it made me to doubt any suicide bombing and regard it as an inside job just like the Mutallab case which is still not clear.

anyway, that the game nations play.

You also doubt Boko Haram and the Jos issue, lol. grin grin grin

I rest my case. cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ministerial Screening: I’ll Bring Hope And Energy – Yar’adua / Mbu Apologises Over Comment On Balewa’s Death / The Ruins Of Ayakoromo - Which way Nigeria!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.