Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,040 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

Onuoha Open To Nigeria Approach - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Onuoha Open To Nigeria Approach (668 Views)

Nedum Onuoha Left With Nasty Cut By Teammate (pics) / Austin Okocha Warns Nedum Onuoha Over Nigeria Snub. / Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onuoha Open To Nigeria Approach by honeric01(m): 7:26pm On Mar 29, 2010
Manchester City defender Nedum Onuoha is open to the possibility of playing for Nigeria if asked.

Onuoha, who captained England at Under-21 level, is eligible to represent Nigeria at senior international level but says he has had no contact from Nigeria since an initial approach by Berti Vogts two years ago.

Previous reports suggested that the City defender would wait for his opportunity with England, but he has now told KickOffNigeria.com that he will play for the country of his birth, if an approach is made.

"It will be flattering to be approached by Nigeria. No one has spoken to me since the former manager Berti Vogts made an informal approach a couple of years ago," Onuoha said after City's midweek League encounter with Everton at the City of Manchester Stadium, which the hosts lost 0-2.

“I speak regularly with Victor Anichebe and he speaks highly of the national team set up. He is always proud to play for Nigeria and is actually looking forward to, and working very hard towards playing for Nigeria at the World Cup this summer.

"I follow Nigerian football all the time. I'm the same as any other person, if you are born there that's where your heart is. I have not been approached by any official from Nigeria but if I am, I will weigh up my options and consult my family but it's more than a possibility that I will agree to play for the Eagles.”

The news will come as a welcome boost to Nigeria Technical Adviser Lars Lagerback, with the Super Eagles defence a major source of concern at the African Nations Cup in Angola.

kickoff.

Re: Onuoha Open To Nigeria Approach by chidyke77(m): 8:56pm On Mar 29, 2010
He nw wnts to play for Nigeria because we are going to d world cup,anyway it wl be nice to hv hm in our squard cos our weak defence has bn our problem.
Re: Onuoha Open To Nigeria Approach by honeric01(m): 2:06pm On Mar 30, 2010
Lol, you dey mind him turkey head? grin
Re: Onuoha Open To Nigeria Approach by galatico(m): 9:35am On Mar 31, 2010
Th guy has been invited several times to the super eagles team, he simply refused, no way he should not be invited anymore, simply because he knows there is no way on earth he is gonna make it to the world cup with the English team, he suddenly realises he's a Nigerian and wants to dorn the Nigerian jersy. He should go to hell!!!
Re: Onuoha Open To Nigeria Approach by honeric01(m): 9:41am On Mar 31, 2010
Oh boy, you harsh oo, he should go to hell?
Re: Onuoha Open To Nigeria Approach by honeric01(m): 3:37pm On Apr 16, 2010
Nedum Onuoha's name has been struck off Nigeria's provisional World Cup squad after the Manchester City defender ruled himself out of consideration to represent the country of his birth.

Onuoha's on and off relationship with Nigeria appeared to have taken a decisive turn for the better when he declared earlier this month that he would consider an approach from Nigeria to take part in the World Cup.

But in between making that declaration, and getting phone calls from Nigeria Technical Adviser Lars Lagerback, and Media Officer Idah Peterside, Onuoha changed his mind.

"We spoke to him this week and he said he has not made up his mind yet, but that he would certainly not be available for the World Cup for Nigeria," Peterside told KickOffNigeria.com.

"I was mandated by the NFF to speak to him, and the coach also said he would also speak to him, but he had included his name in the preliminary squad of 45 before then.

"I called him up and we spoke a bit. He told me that Lagerback had already called him, but that he hadn’t made up his mind yet what he wanted to do. So he won’t be available for Nigeria at the World Cup.

"Lagerback had to remove his name from the list, which is going to the NFF this weekend."

Peterside added that that list would be made public by the beginning of next week.

"They will receive it this weekend, and release it by this weekend, or early next week at most."
Re: Onuoha Open To Nigeria Approach by semid4lyfe(m): 8:53pm On Apr 16, 2010
Good riddance! Wetin the guy dey feel like sef? Make im go die jare
Re: Onuoha Open To Nigeria Approach by honeric01(m): 10:36am On Apr 17, 2010
who need this waste in the first place? angry
Re: Onuoha Open To Nigeria Approach by 9ja4eva: 2:50pm On Apr 17, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Good riddance! Wetin the guy dey feel like sef? Make im go die jare

I weak oh.
Re: Onuoha Open To Nigeria Approach by Nobody: 3:55pm On Apr 18, 2010
Nedum is what I call a Mechanical footballer

I have never believed he is good enough. NFF should stop chasing shadows over players who can't play. I don't know the point of the row over folks like Nedum Onuoha, Cathlene Cole. If these boys were pure Nigerians without dual Nationality they wont even make it to super eagles because they are just not good enough.
Re: Onuoha Open To Nigeria Approach by honeric01(m): 5:44pm On Apr 18, 2010
i tire oo.

(1) (Reply)

Mayweather Dominates Mosley, Stays Unbeaten / Messi vs Enyeama, a different perspective. / Fifa Bans Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.