Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

Preparation Of 0.50M Hcl & 0.0250M Na2co3 Solution. Help - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparation Of 0.50M Hcl & 0.0250M Na2co3 Solution. Help (687 Views)

Test For Sulphate Ions Using Aqueous BaCl2/HCl / Not Crossing Over To 200L In Unilorin Cos Of 0.14 / First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Preparation Of 0.50M Hcl & 0.0250M Na2co3 Solution. Help by Careartrust: 12:09pm On Dec 08, 2017
I want to prepare the following solutions for titration;

0.50 Mol/dm3 HCl and
0.0250 mol/dm3 Na2CO3 (sodium trioxocarbonate(V)

Chemistry gurus please help.

What is amount of HCl that can be dissolved in a certain volume of water. Also, what is the amount of sodium trioxocarbonate (gram) that can be dissolved in certain amount of water. Thanks
Re: Preparation Of 0.50M Hcl & 0.0250M Na2co3 Solution. Help by Nukilia: 12:51pm On Dec 08, 2017
@ Op go to play store and download molarity calculator. I believe it can solve your problem.
Re: Preparation Of 0.50M Hcl & 0.0250M Na2co3 Solution. Help by YemziAdez(m): 1:20pm On Dec 08, 2017
It's simple if I remember my chemistry correctly (volumetric analysis).

Using the formula

Number of moles= Concentration (C, in mol/dm3) * Volume (in cubic decimeters,dm3)

From your question, the concentration of HCL required is 0.5M.

Remember, number of moles (n) = mass/molar mass.
Therefore, we can rewrite the formula (above) as:

Mass/molar mass = C × V.

Molar mass of HCL = 1 + 35.5= 36.5g/mol

Since the concentration required is 0.5M, it means the volume is in dm3 which is also equivalent to a litre.

Consequently, our volume is 1dm3 or 1 litre.

what's left is the mass of HCL.

Thus, the mass of HCL required to give us 0.5M of HCL solution = molar mass of HCL× concentration × volume

= 36.5 × 0.5 × 1 = 18.25g.

In sum, we need to dissolve 18.25g of HCL in 1 litre of water (or any solution specified).

Please, follow suit and tackle that for sodium trioxocarbonate (IV).

Cheers.
Re: Preparation Of 0.50M Hcl & 0.0250M Na2co3 Solution. Help by Careartrust: 4:42pm On Dec 08, 2017
YemziAdez:
It's simple if I remember my chemistry correctly (volumetric analysis).

Using the formula

Number of moles= Concentration (C, in mol/dm3) * Volume (in cubic decimeters,dm3)

From your question, the concentration of HCL required is 0.5M.

Remember, number of moles (n) = mass/molar mass.
Therefore, we can rewrite the formula (above) as:

Mass/molar mass = C × V.

Molar mass of HCL = 1 + 35.5= 36.5g/mol

Since the concentration required is 0.5M, it means the volume is in dm3 which is also equivalent to a litre.

Consequently, our volume is 1dm3 or 1 litre.

what's left is the mass of HCL.

Thus, the mass of HCL required to give us 0.5M of HCL solution = molar mass of HCL× concentration × volume

= 36.5 × 0.5 × 1 = 18.25g.

In sum, we need to dissolve 18.25g of HCL in 1 litre of water (or any solution specified).

Please, follow suit and tackle that for sodium trioxocarbonate (IV).

Cheers.

Thanks dear, I have also worked it out with the app someone mentioned above and it's giving me the same thing.

However, I still need some clarification specifically about the acid(HCl).

You know that the acid is in liquid state and should be measured using measuring cylinder?

Question: How do I measure it since the value you got above is in grams (36.5g)
Re: Preparation Of 0.50M Hcl & 0.0250M Na2co3 Solution. Help by Ysquare98: 8:14pm On Dec 08, 2017
Careartrust:

Thanks dear, I have also worked it out with the app someone mentioned above and it's giving me the same thing.

You know that the acid is in liquid state and should be measured using measuring cylinder?

Careartrust:

Careartrust:

convert the gram to ml ...hint:1000g=1l
1000ml=1L

Guess u want to do some sort of physiochemical analysis right?
Re: Preparation Of 0.50M Hcl & 0.0250M Na2co3 Solution. Help by Careartrust: 10:36pm On Dec 08, 2017
Ysquare98:
[color=#006600][/color]

convert the gram to ml ...hint:1000g=1l
1000ml=1L

Guess u want to do some sort of physiochemical analysis right?

I just want to do Acid - Base titration for SSCE student

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Akeredolu Of Ondo State Wants To Increase AAUA Tuition Fee By 800% / Do You Want To Study In US Or CANADA? / Solve This Problem - Which One First, Second And The Last

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.