Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,558 members, 7,820,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities (38760 Views)

Damage At Michael Okpara University Heartbreaking, Will Cost N2bn To Repair / Forceful Shaving Of Hair Good For Covenant University Bad For Hisbah / Timetable For Covenant University Resumption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 09, 2017
DangotePikin:
shut up. You're saying rubbish. All your comments are shit. You don't think b4 typing.

Nothing makes sense to slaves
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 09, 2017
DangotePikin:
the pictures taken, are they from Cu or Lmu stadia?
covenant university
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by DangotePikin: 10:25pm On Dec 09, 2017
Statsocial:

covenant university
wow. The stadium have really changed from the last time I saw it

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by oluwaseunla(m): 10:29pm On Dec 09, 2017
Jethrolite:
It is very possible, Covenant University is quite unique. Let's take other universities like Igbinedion, Novena, Caritas, Madonna and others. You really think philanthropy was the reason for establishing those schools or EK Clarke decided to open a university to make a loss?

What exactly is the major cost of a university? Overhead.
How do you cut overhead and run a lean university? You make your faculty(lecturers) part time, ban labour unions and pay non academic staff the lowest you possibly can. Your faculty simply takes their scheme of work from their primary faculty and reimplement it in your school. Power generation and every other amenity that adds to your cost is not your business. You build the barest minimum hostel you can afford to meet regulatory requirements.

Your major cost is accreditation and infrastructure development. For every faculty you have, you need just one course to be accredited then you can admit students for other unaccredited courses. That's the reason Madonna produces Electrical Engineering graduates who know nothing about electricity, that's because they probably enrolled and satisfied some other engineering course.

Once you build Classrooms and admin block containing your senate and probably library, you are done with a major cost that won't repeat in future.

Run your PR (not bribe, NUC is quite strict with accreditation) properly with NUC and you are good to go.

From the analysis above, now tell me I can not run a very profitable university in Nigeria.

I look at university proprietors and I laugh, they have brought cost down but they can not come down to the level where the major market is and remain profitable. This country has over 1 million deficit university admissions government can not cater for and they are there looking.

OK. Permit me to poke a few holes in your submissions.

If you make majority of your faculty part time, from what I know you will not get accredited by NUC. They have a minimum percentage of full time staff you must have in your faculty. If you pay ridiculously low salaries, you will keep losing experienced hands, which will invariably affect growth too, bad move. The smallest of Nigerian universities spend minimum of 4 million naira monthly on power generation related bills, that translates to about 48 million per annum.

NUC accreditation is done on a departmental basis. Hence, any department within a faculty that is not accredited will not be able to graduate students, even if they manage to admit them. It doesn't matter if other departments within the faculty are accredited.

By the way the largest expense incurred by most Universities is their wage bills. A small university may have as much as 60 million per month in salaries, while for the bigger universities, it can run into hundreds of millions of naira monthly.

You posed an interesting question though. Will proprietors run at a loss? Me thinks gains may not necessarily be monetary. You make monetary losses, you gain points in other areas, Political or PR points for example.
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Nobody: 11:06pm On Dec 09, 2017
ollah1:

Because your question doesn't make any senses.
Rhektor Desyner Neozy jethrolite Olabenjamen22 GreatrAnalyst

Ollah1 this is Covenant University 70 bed Hospital with nothing less than 12 Doctors and over 30 Nurses which serves Ota and environs. Living faith has another one, even bigger than this in Kwara which serves omuaran and landmark. Yet the church still has plans for a mega 500 bed Teaching hospital. So your comment about churches neglecting hospitals is out of place.
The church has really tried in this country, you should give them praise rather than criticism. Living Faith alone has over 16,000 employees. School about 15,000 Nigerians in higher institutions. Over 400 people work the farms of Landmark. The impact of the Nigerian church is too much for one post. We know the church isn't perfect but at least they've tried.

Oluwaseunla your argument is so on point!

2 Likes

Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by ChykeBivins(m): 11:12pm On Dec 09, 2017
Statsocial:

The Church has no Ordinance in Industrialization. Its not that they can't build it but it bears no relevance to the Gospel. You need to understand that the main purpose of Christian Universities is never to teach Biology, Physics or Chemistry but to raise morally sane individuals who would stand for God in whatever field of endeavour they are raised.

Now the funding of the Sciences and building of Infrastructure is just a Cover to attract people for sublime bibilcal indoctrination. This is one of the most potent ways the Church has used in enmeshing itself in all sectors in the US. Example, Graduates of Oral Roberts Uni are usually staunch Political Conservatives and ProLifers. You don't want to mess with some of them in Congress or their various state legislatures.

So as the church continues to release thousands of graduates, they do two things. 1) Establish Christ in some of them 2) Widen the Influence of the Church. Many Graduates of Church Universities maybe running around today but know that a Seed has been sown that would ultimately change the nation.

It's been an awfully long while I've read such intellectually robust analysis on naira land. .It's been abuses and profanities.
Some breath of fresh air..I like

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 09, 2017
oluwaseunla:

If you make majority of your faculty part time, from what I know you will not get accredited by NUC. They have a minimum percentage of full time staff you must have in your faculty. If you pay ridiculously low salaries, you will keep losing experienced hands, which will invariably affect growth too, bad move. The smallest of Nigerian universities spend minimum of 4 million naira monthly on power generation related bills, that translates to about 48 million per annum.

NUC accreditation is done on a departmental basis. Hence, any department within a faculty that is not accredited will not be able to graduate students, even if they manage to admit them. It doesn't matter if other departments within the faculty are accredited.

By the way the largest expense incurred by most Universities is their wage bills. A small university may have as much as 60 million per month in salaries, while for the bigger universities, it can run into hundreds of millions of naira monthly.

You posed an interesting question though. Will proprietors run at a loss? Me thinks gains may not necessarily be monetary. You make monetary losses, you gain points in other areas, Political or PR points for example.
Ppl don't know what you have beautifully explained. Lautech's wage bill is 390 million per month, Delsu 540 million, Uni of Ibadan >800M/month

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Desyner: 12:09am On Dec 10, 2017
Jethrolite:
I know the naira has little value but please do not say this about our currency. N4bn is a lot of money to spend monthly and until I see receipts for this figure I will never accept it. You are talking of over N50bn on subsidies annually. Where is the money coming from? And knowing David Oyedepo for the businessman he is, he will never do such even if he has that kind of money to throw away.
Ooops . . . . The monthly was a heavy typo sir. It was suppose to be yearly. I totally missed it.
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Desyner: 12:11am On Dec 10, 2017
Statsocial:

Ppl don't know what you have beautifully explained. Lautech's wage bill is 390 million per month, Delsu 540 million, Uni of Ibadan >800M/month
I wish the children of hate will factor in these things before jumping to blind conclusions against the Church.
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Desyner: 12:12am On Dec 10, 2017
ollah1:

Slaves will always be slaves
We can see clearly who the slave is here.
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by CassetteBoy(m): 5:25am On Dec 10, 2017
Statsocial:
Good viewpoint. I'm curious about this alumnus you know. Kindly elaborate.
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by CaptainFM1: 6:11am On Dec 10, 2017
Heywhizzy:
I sincerely hope the poor ain't left out from the spending of the church

May God open the eyes of our pastors to make right investments.. The poor and the needy should be the main priority of church funds.. Lord help us all

Who are the poor? Can anyone classified himself as poor? What we have is a whole bunch of lazy people...calling themselves poor.
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Jethrolite(m): 7:03am On Dec 10, 2017
Desyner:
Ooops . . . . The monthly was a heavy typo sir. It was suppose to be yearly. I totally missed it.
OK.
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Jethrolite(m): 7:35am On Dec 10, 2017
oluwaseunla:

You really need to leave the theoritical part of running a university and see the practical.

Are you going to tell NUC that your faculty is part time or do you think the officials NUC will be sending for the accreditation will be able to recognise a particular lecturer is from another school or a government employee as they mostly are? I can authoritatively tell you that there are private universities who do not spend N4m annually on electricity in this country. You really need to go around and see some of these schools for yourself.

We are saying the same thing here, the rules might have changed but I doubt. Faculty or department accreditation, the process is the same. If your faculty of agriculture only has department of Fishery accredited and there are 8 other departments in that faculty, everyone graduates with a degree in Fishery because their certificates can't bear their actual degree since it is not accredited.

Wage is a constituent of overhead, when I say overhead I mean salaries, bonuses, allowances, recurring bills that could shut the school down if they are not paid. Do you think N60m is a small money to spend on salaries alone? How much do you even think lecturers are paid? Most lecturers only have a masters degree especially those in private universities. Tell me a person in Nigeria today that will not accept N80k as salary for a part time job. There are even people who would accept it to be full time staff. Let me even make the amount N150k which is outrageous. Let's use it as the average, it will result in 400 staff. What does a private university need 400 staff for if it does not have at least 20,000 students?

Gains are primarily monetary and the others are just perks.

You really need to rethink your stand on the sustainability of private universities.
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Nobody: 8:14am On Dec 10, 2017
Statsocial:

Rhektor Desyner Neozy jethrolite Olabenjamen22 GreatrAnalyst

Ollah1 this is Covenant University 70 bed Hospital with nothing less than 12 Doctors and over 30 Nurses which serves Ota and environs. Living faith has another one, even bigger than this in Kwara which serves omuaran and landmark. Yet the church still has plans for a mega 500 bed Teaching hospital. So your comment about churches neglecting hospitals is out of place.
The church has really tried in this country, you should give them praise rather than criticism. Living Faith alone has over 16,000 employees. School about 15,000 Nigerians in higher institutions. Over 400 people work the farms of Landmark. The impact of the Nigerian church is too much for one post. We know the church isn't perfect but at least they've tried.

Oluwaseunla your argument is so on point!

Is it free?
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Olabenjamen22(m): 8:41am On Dec 10, 2017
ollah1:

What identity I'm i denying?

It's now a vs between mosque and churches. Wow!!!

Lol, maybe we should attack the church alone and turn a Blind eye to mosque right? Smh
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 10, 2017
Olabenjamen22:

Lol, maybe we should attack the church alone and turn a Blind eye to mosque right? Smh

Nobody asked you to turn a blind eye to the Mosque but let's remove sentiment and emotions out of this. Isn't the church farrrr richer than the Mosque??
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Olabenjamen22(m): 8:49am On Dec 10, 2017
ollah1:

Nobody asked you to turn a blind eye to the Mosque but let's remove sentiment and emotions out of this. Isn't the church farrrr richer than the Mosque??

Yes and that is the reason why 90% of charity done in Nigeria are from the church.

You fail to acknowledge that but hurry to criticize anything about church, all is reflecting in all your past comment on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Nobody: 8:51am On Dec 10, 2017
Desyner:

You guys keep bring incomplete info to decieve people. How much was that stadium built with? You think Ozoro poly is being funded with your recharge card school fee ?
Go find out how much DTSG pays Ozoro poly staff every year and divide it by the number of students there then add you school fee + accomodation + power bills per year and correct that dull post you have up there.
Am not a student of ozoro, n I didn't read the post b4 commenting was only expecting to see something better with 2billion naira, but I didn't realize it was for two schools.
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 10, 2017
salvation101:
ok sir. It's nobel of u to av accepted ur wrong as u just did.. Next time its good to get the full picture if at all we wanna criticize. Sorry about my previous comment
No problem
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Nobody: 8:55am On Dec 10, 2017
Olabenjamen22:

Yes and that is the reason why 90% of charity done in Nigeria are from the church.

You fail to acknowledge that but hurry to criticize anything about church, all is reflecting in all your past comment on nairaland.

Do you have proof for the bolded?
I'll criticize what isn't right and the church tends to do most of it.
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by oluwaseunla(m): 9:54am On Dec 10, 2017
Jethrolite:
You really need to leave the theoritical part of running a university and see the practical.

Are you going to tell NUC that your faculty is part time or do you think the officials NUC will be sending for the accreditation will be able to recognise a particular lecturer is from another school or a government employee as they mostly are? I can authoritatively tell you that there are private universities who do not spend N4m annually on electricity in this country. You really need to go around and see some of these schools for yourself.

We are saying the same thing here, the rules might have changed but I doubt. Faculty or department accreditation, the process is the same. If your faculty of agriculture only has department of Fishery accredited and there are 8 other departments in that faculty, everyone graduates with a degree in Fishery because their certificates can't bear their actual degree since it is not accredited.

Wage is a constituent of overhead, when I say overhead I mean salaries, bonuses, allowances, recurring bills that could shut the school down if they are not paid. Do you think N60m is a small money to spend on salaries alone? How much do you even think lecturers are paid? Most lecturers only have a masters degree especially those in private universities. Tell me a person in Nigeria today that will not accept N80k as salary for a part time job. There are even people who would accept it to be full time staff. Let me even make the amount N150k which is outrageous. Let's use it as the average, it will result in 400 staff. What does a private university need 400 staff for if it does not have at least 20,000 students?

Gains are primarily monetary and the others are just perks.

You really need to rethink your stand on the sustainability of private universities.

Actually, I know a bit about how the system works. I was involved in another departmental accreditation just this last week in a private university, and that will make it the third one I've been involved in.

The accreditation team to each department this year consisted of three lecturers from different Universities and an NUC staff. It is extremely difficult for a school to lie to the team about the employment status of any teaching staff because all letters relating to employment and promotions must be sighted and the dates referenced. Each staff must have a file in the departmental office and they will be checked and rechecked. Trust me when I say it is extremely difficult to try to mislead the accreditation team, not to talk of the grave consequence that follows if you are caught. It's simply not worth it, and I doubt if any lecturer or school will take that kind of a risk. Part time staffing is allowed but there is a maximum percentage they can take in the total number of staff in the faculty, and they can only be in addition to the full time staff the department already have.

The problem of wages, especially for teaching staff comes from the fact that NUC regulations insist for example that each department must have a full time professor on ground, then you now have teaching staff in most of the cadres before your department gets accredited. So it does not matter the number of students in that department, the department must have a full complement of teaching staff on ground. This shoots up the wage bill badly. Imagine a department with less than 20 students in all, having a full complement of Assistant Lecturers to Professors. Definitely the school fees of those students cannot even pay salaries of their own department.

Yes, there are junior lecturers that have only masters, but generally, Universities insist you must show evidence of running a PhD programme before they employ you. Difficult to circumvent, again because of NUC rules. They may have some on part time, but part timers must only be additions to the full timers the department has on ground, or else there will be no accreditation for that department.

The issue of power generation is a general problem in Nigeria. Most times, PHCN bills alone will run into millions in a month, before you start talking of self generation. Going off the power grid is even much more expensive. I've spoke to schools before that spend as high as 20 million per month on power generation alone.

Admittedly, all the data I have are strictly from the North and West. I don't have any from the Eastern parts. But knowing NUC for what it is today, it is really difficult to cut costs in the proportions that you are suggesting if that University wants to be accredited. That is why a few private universities had to close down when they couldn't cope.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Jethrolite(m): 3:31pm On Dec 10, 2017
oluwaseunla:

Actually, I know a bit about how the system works. I was involved in another departmental accreditation just this last week in a private university, and that will make it the third one I've been involved in.

The accreditation team to each department this year consisted of three lecturers from different Universities and an NUC staff. It is extremely difficult for a school to lie to the team about the employment status of any teaching staff because all letters relating to employment and promotions must be sighted and the dates referenced. Each staff must have a file in the departmental office and they will be checked and rechecked. Trust me when I say it is extremely difficult to try to mislead the accreditation team, not to talk of the grave consequence that follows if you are caught. It's simply not worth it, and I doubt if any lecturer or school will take that kind of a risk. Part time staffing is allowed but there is a maximum percentage they can take in the total number of staff in the faculty, and they can only be in addition to the full time staff the department already have.

The problem of wages, especially for teaching staff comes from the fact that NUC regulations insist for example that each department must have a full time professor on ground, then you now have teaching staff in most of the cadres before your department gets accredited. So it does not matter the number of students in that department, the department must have a full complement of teaching staff on ground. This shoots up the wage bill badly. Imagine a department with less than 20 students in all, having a full complement of Assistant Lecturers to Professors. Definitely the school fees of those students cannot even pay salaries of their own department.

Yes, there are junior lecturers that have only masters, but generally, Universities insist you must show evidence of running a PhD programme before they employ you. Difficult to circumvent, again because of NUC rules. They may have some on part time, but part timers must only be additions to the full timers the department has on ground, or else there will be no accreditation for that department.

The issue of power generation is a general problem in Nigeria. Most times, PHCN bills alone will run into millions in a month, before you start talking of self generation. Going off the power grid is even much more expensive. I've spoke to schools before that spend as high as 20 million per month on power generation alone.

Admittedly, all the data I have are strictly from the North and West. I don't have any from the Eastern parts. But knowing NUC for what it is today, it is really difficult to cut costs in the proportions that you are suggesting if that University wants to be accredited. That is why a few private university had to close down when they couldn't cope.
Ok
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by lereinter(m): 9:14pm On Dec 10, 2017
Statsocial:

The Church has no Ordinance in Industrialization. Its not that they can't build it but it bears no relevance to the Gospel. You need to understand that the main purpose of Christian Universities is never to teach Biology, Physics or Chemistry but to raise morally sane individuals who would stand for God in whatever field of endeavour they are raised.

Now the funding of the Sciences and building of Infrastructure is just a Cover to attract people for sublime bibilcal indoctrination. This is one of the most potent ways the Church has used in enmeshing itself in all sectors in the US. Example, Graduates of Oral Roberts Uni are usually staunch Political Conservatives and ProLifers. You don't want to mess with some of them in Congress or their various state legislatures.

So as the church continues to release thousands of graduates, they do two things. 1) Establish Christ in some of them 2) Widen the Influence of the Church. Many Graduates of Church Universities maybe running around today but know that a Seed has been sown that would ultimately change the nation.

yu are fit to do PR for buhari

seed sown in a damaged or visionless country

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Desyner: 12:07am On Dec 11, 2017
ollah1:

Is it free?
Is govt hospital free ? Even if the situation is life threatening, you still buy your own items. That govt's own you pay tax to. Now if the church makes theirs free, will it be open to the public or just members?
If open to public, will the public start paying compulsory 'tithe' to the church ? Wisdom is profitable to guide.

2 Likes

Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Nobody: 12:39am On Dec 11, 2017
Desyner:
Is govt hospital free ? Even if the situation is life threatening, you still buy your own items. That govt's own you pay tax to. Now if the church makes theirs free, will it be open to the public or just members?
If open to public, will the public start paying compulsory 'tithe' to the church ? Wisdom is profitable to guide.

Quit talking about the goverment because we all know they have FAILED. It costs nothing for churches to run a FREE hospital for the NEEDY. Let's be frank here and check things from objective standpoint
Re: Winners Chapel Constructing N2bn Stadia For Covenant And Landmark Universities by Desyner: 12:46am On Dec 11, 2017
ollah1:

Quit talking about the goverment because we all know they have FAILED. It costs nothing for churches to run a FREE hospital for the NEEDY. Let's be frank here and check things from objective standpoint
Do you have an estimate of what the 'NEEDY' will be needing? It makes little or no sense. How will they seperate the true needy from fake ? Will it be fair for people to marry multiple wives and produce children they can't cater for only for churches to take them as needy? Do they realy need health care or knowledge ?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

UNILAG Students Asked To Kneel Down And Raise Up Hands. / Young School Girl Designs Prototype Of Waterside Aba / Nneoma Nwankwo Named Virginia Tech’s Undergraduate Student Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.