Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,833 members, 7,837,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi (2696 Views)

Family Tithing In The Diaspora / Daddy Freeze Replies Pastor Adeboye’s Response To His Teachings On Tithing / Church Members Walk Out On Pastor Adefarasin Over Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by SweetJoystick(m): 8:57am On Dec 19, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Mr sabi sabi study your Bible and stop behaving like a child
You obviously lack knowledge of what you seek to defend, it's crystal clear you are bereft of even bible passages to support your views, all your fish brain can process for you to mutter is read your bible, na koran I read wey I take know say I'm not supposed to pay tithe or that tithe was food and was like a welfare package for the priest and less privilege?
Have a nice day
Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 19, 2017
SweetJoystick:

You obviously lack knowledge of what you seek to defend, it's crystal clear your bereft of even bible passages to support your views, all your fish brain can process for you to mutter is read your bible, na koran I read wey I take know say I'm not supposed to pay tithe or that tithe was food and was like a welfare package for the priest and less privilege?
Have a nice day
Even if I quote the Bible and explain things to you,you would not believe because you have made up your mind
Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by petra1(m): 10:22am On Dec 19, 2017
lovingJehovah:
No true Christian tithes.You cannot pour new wine into an old wineskin

Wrong! What of offering ? Is offering old wine or new wine ?

Tithing is for the Jews and not for Christians. You cannot claim to tithe and be a Christian at the same time. It is an insult to the law of Christ.

Wrong ! Was Abraham a Jew . Was Jacob a Jew ?. They all paid tithes in their generation . Did God ever stopped offering and tithes
Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by OkaiCorne(m): 10:44am On Dec 19, 2017
petra1:

Wrong! What of offering ? Is offering old wine or new wine ?

Wrong ! Was Abraham a Jew . Was Jacob a Jew ?. They all paid tithes in their generation . Did God ever stopped offering and tithes

From Genesis to Revelation, I did not see any verse where God stopped all these laws which also included tithing;

Deutoronomy 22 v 11-12;
11"You shall not wear a material mixed of wool and linen together.
12"You shall make yourself tassels on the four corners of your garment with which you cover yourself
.…

Leviticus 19:19
'You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together.

If you are not doing these, what could be your reasons sir?
Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by petra1(m): 12:05pm On Dec 19, 2017
OkaiCorne:

From Genesis to Revelation, I did not see any verse where God stopped all these laws which also included tithing;

Deutoronomy 22 v 11-12;
11"You shall not wear a material mixed of wool and linen together.
12"You shall make yourself tassels on the four corners of your garment with which you cover yourself
.…

Leviticus 19:19
'You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together.If you are not doing these, what could be your reasons sir?

Christ fulfilled them . The law of diversity and segregation was about the preference of isreal above the Gentiles . Not to mingle or mix with them . They were the unclean . And christ has made all one .

Acts 10:14-15 (KJV)
But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

Galatians 3:28-29(KJV)
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by OkaiCorne(m): 12:29pm On Dec 19, 2017
petra1:

Christ fulfilled them . The law of diversity and segregation was about the preference of isreal above the Gentiles . Not to mingle or mix with them . They were the unclean . And christ has made all one .

But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

It's nice to see that you are giving figurative interpretations to literal instructions given by God.

When God gave the instructions on mixing linen and wool, God was referring to the Israelites and the Gentiles abi? Be adding to God's word.

1) As for tithing, are you saying Christ did not fulfill the obligatory requirements that the Law requires of tithing? Did Jesus fulfill the Law fully or partially?

2) Where did God instruct His children to pay tithes especially in monetary form both in the old and new testament?

3) You said you did not see where God abolished tithing, I am also yet to see where God expressly abolished the requirements I stated earlier in Deuteronomy 22 v 11-12 and Leviticus 19:19. If God has not done so, why are you not doing those ones...but still preaching about the false doctrine of obligatory monetary tithing?
Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by PaChukwudi44(m): 12:43pm On Dec 19, 2017
petra1:

grin grin grin grin This bros would have done better as a comedian.Chai!!! arguing from both sides of his mouth.
Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by petra1(m): 12:52pm On Dec 19, 2017
OkaiCorne:

It's nice to see that you are giving figurative interpretations to literal instructions given by God.

When God gave the instructions on mixing linen and wool, God was referring to the Israelites and the Gentiles abi? Be adding to God's word.

He told the Jews to separate from them . The separation was figurative . They were not to mix with Gentiles . Remember the woman at the Well .

John 4:9 (KJV)
Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.

1) As for tithing, are you saying Christ did not fulfill the obligatory requirements that the Law requires of tithing? Did Jesus fulfill the Law fully or partially?

It depends on what you are gunning at. If it's about righteousness Yes. But the law has contents that are based on eternal kingdom principles . Jesus fulfill the burnt offering or sin offering . But he didn't fullfil your personal freewill offering to God not your alms giving to the poor . Nor your fasting or prayer .its your personal responsibility . The law is only condemned if a man doesn't the work of the law with the hope of being justified ,saved or being made righteous by them . Because christ is our righteousness . But principles of the kingdom transcend dispensation . They are eternal . I can't say because Jesus has sacrificed himself I can't sacrifice to God .

Romans 12:1 (KJV)
. . . . present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2) Where did God instruct His children to pay tithes (especially in monetary form) both in the old and new testament?

Those who rear unclean animals which cannot be brought to the house of God gave money . Also They have the option to redeem their tithe and offering by paying cash .

Leviticus 27:31 (KJV Strong's)
And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.

Leviticus 27:27
27 If it be of an unclean animal, the owner may redeem it according to your valuation, and shall add a fifth to it; or if it is not redeemed, then it shall be sold according to your valuation.

Luke 18:12
12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I gain

Matthew 23:23 (NLT)
! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by OkaiCorne(m): 12:54pm On Dec 19, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

grin grin grin grin This bros would have done better as a comedian.Chai!!! arguing from both sides of his mouth.

It's very sad when people see the raw truth but won't accept it.

They think that practicing a lie or false doctrine all their life makes it the TRUTH.

Chai...God has suffered. Imagine pastorpreneurs implicitly preaching that God's blessing is for sale to the highest bidder ( "tither" )....

And these same set of people will mock the Pharisees for resisting the TRUTH Jesus preached o...lol

This is real confusion and comedy
Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by petra1(m): 1:03pm On Dec 19, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

Proverbs 26:17
. . .He that passeth by, and meddleth with strife belonging not to him, is like one that taketh a dog by the ears.
Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by OkaiCorne(m): 1:04pm On Dec 19, 2017
petra1:

He told the Jews to separate from them . The separation was figurative . They were not to mix with Gentiles . Remember the woman at the Well .

Would you like me to refer you to Torah experts and Jewish historians to validate the fact that God gave these instructions literally? The law was so stringent that the Israelites did not mix seeds on their field while planting...neither did they mix wool and linen while wearing clothes.

petra1:

John 4:9 (KJV)
Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.

It depends on what you are gunning at. If it's about righteousness Yes. But the law has contents that are based on eternal kingdom principles . Jesus fulfill the burnt offering or sin offering . But he didn't fullfil your personal freewill offering to God not your alms giving to the poor . Nor your fasting or prayer .its your personal responsibility . The law is only condemned if a man doesn't the work of the law with the hope of being justified ,saved or being made righteous by them . Because christ is our righteousness . But principles of the kingdom transcend dispensation . They are eternal . I can't say because Jesus has sacrificed himself I can't sacrifice to God .

Romans 12:1 (KJV)
. . . . present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Read your bible again, Jesus fulfilled the LAW in totality and not partially. Tithes and offerings were replaced by sacrificial giving out of a LOVING HEART for God and man. Sacrificial giving was far more flexible and broader than the stringent requirements of tithing.

petra1:

Those who rear unclean animals which cannot be brought to the house of God gave money . Also They have the option to redeem their tithe and offering by paying cash .

Leviticus 27:31 (KJV Strong's)
And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.

Leviticus 27:27
27 If it be of an unclean animal, the owner may redeem it according to your valuation, and shall add a fifth to it; or if it is not redeemed, then it shall be sold according to your valuation.

Luke 18:12
12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I gain.

When a zealot is boasting to Jesus that he has tithed beyond the instructions God gave on what should be tithed in a bid to prove self-righteousness...please advice me, should I use the zealot's basis of tithing or should I follow the clearly laid instructions given by God on what to tithe?

Should the zealot's standard replace God's instruction on tithing?

By the way, why did you skip the part of Deuteronomy 14, where God stated that gold and silver should be used to purchase livestock, wine and any other thing you want at the temple as the tithe? Or you think the traders that Jesus chased at the temple in Jerusalem where just there because they didn't find shops elsewhere to operate?
Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by petra1(m): 1:16pm On Dec 19, 2017
OkaiCorne:

Would you like me to refer you to Torah experts and Jewish historians to validate the fact that God gave these instructions literally? The law was so stringent that the Israelites did not mix seeds on their field while planting...neither did they mix wool and linen while wearing clothes.

Ok

Read your bible again, Jesus fulfilled the LAW in totality and not partially. Tithes and offerings were replaced by sacrificial giving out of a LOVING HEART for God and man. Sacrificial giving was far more flexible and broader than the stringent requirements of tithing.

Kindly leave area you don't fully understand. The problem with the law was that it was a shadow of righteousness . Jesus is the reality . It spoke of christ . Are you saying the contents of the law are now condemned ? Are you aware Paul quoted the law . Are you aware the law was the scriptures in their day. That's by the way . We don't tithe because the law say so . We don't give alms or offering because the law say so but rather because they are principles in Gods kingdom .they existed ever before the law came

When a zealot is boasting to Jesus that he has tithed beyond the instructions God gave on what should be tithed in a bid to prove self-righteousness...please advice me, should I use the zealot's basis of tithing or should I follow the clearly laid instructions given by God on what to tithe?

Should the zealot's standard replace God's instruction on tithing?

Wrong . They gave according to the law. Money was allowed .

By the way, why did you skip the part of Deuteronomy 14, where God stated that gold and silver should be used to purchase livestock, wine and any other thing you want at the temple as the tithe? Or you think the traders that Jesus chased at the temple in Jerusalem where just there because they didn't find shops elsewhere to operate?

if money were not given why would there be money changers in the first place .
Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by OkaiCorne(m): 1:22pm On Dec 19, 2017
petra1:

Ok

Kindly leave area you don't fully understand. The problem with the law was that it was a shadow of righteousness . Jesus is the reality . It spoke of christ . Are you saying the contents of the law are now condemned ? Are you aware Paul quoted the law . Are you aware the law was the scriptures in their day. That's by the way . We don't tithe because the law say so . We don't give alms or offering because the law say so but rather because they are principles in Gods kingdom .they existed ever before the law came

Wrong . They gave according to the law. Money was allowed .

if money were not given why would there be money changers in the first place .

Dear Lord, do you realize that Jews were a global race that soujourned in foreign lands back in those days? Money changers were acting like what the forex market is today. After converting the money, the foreign Jews would use the money to buy the food stuffs and animals as their tithe.

You are insisting that the Jews tithed all they had because it was in line with the law. Please show me the part of the Law where God instructed His Children to pay tithes in gold and silver.

Bros you need to do thorough research on Jewish History ooo

Just to add, choose between the Law (old Covenant) and Grace & Love (new covenant). You cannot be doing both.

Paul made reference to the law explaining how the new covenant has taken its place. Or are you implying that Paul preached that parts of the Law is still binding and obligatory on Christians? If so, does it mean Jesus fulfilled the Law partially? Bros Jesus fulfilled the law in totality and this includes obligations from animal sacrifice, tithes, offerings e.t.c. to be replaced by LOVE and Sacrificial giving...

I almost skipped this...bear in mind that animal sacrifice preceded the law and was fully active when Jesus spoke with the Pharisees in Matthew 23 v 23
Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by petra1(m): 1:42pm On Dec 19, 2017
OkaiCorne:

Dear Lord, do you realize that Jews were a global race that soujourned in foreign lands back in those days? Money changers were acting like what the forex market is today. After converting the money, the foreign Jews would use the money to buy the food stuffs and animals as their tithe.

Bros you need to do thorough research on Jewish History ooo

Just to add, choose between the Law (old Covenant) and Grace & Love (new covenant). You cannot be doing both.

Paul made reference to the law explaining how the new covenant has taken its place. Or are you implying that Paul preached that the Law is still binding on Christians?

My point is . We are not under the law as an institution. But there are principles in the kingdom of God . Some in the law . Some before the law . They are eternal . Almsgiving is a principle . Offering and tithes are principles , honoring your parents is a principle .same goes for prayers and fasting Why singling out only tithe?

Ephesians 6:2 (KJV)
Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promisewink

Why will the man you follow be quoting the law for new creation? Because he's dealing with it as principle . Even though it's in the law.

I almost skipped this...bear in mind that animal sacrifice preceded the law and was fully active when Jesus spoke with the Pharisees in Matthew 23 v 23

All that jesus fulfilled are done away. He's the lamb ,goat ,and all the burn sin offering

John 1:29 (KJV)
The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

But your tithe ,your personal freewill offering ,alms ,prayer have no fulfillment ,rather Christ is the highpriest over our tithes ,our prayers and offering

Romans 8:34 (KJV)
It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

C
Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by OkaiCorne(m): 1:47pm On Dec 19, 2017
petra1:

My point is . We are not under the law as an institution. But there are principles in the kingdom of God . Some in the law . Some before the law . They are eternal . Almsgiving is a principle . Offering and tithes are principles , honoring your parents is a principle .same goes for prayers and fasting Why singling out only tithe?

Why will the man you follow be quoting the law for new creation?

All that jesus fulfilled are done away. He's the lamb ,goat ,and all the burn sin offering

The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

But your tithe ,your personal freewill offering ,alms ,prayer have no fulfillment ,rather Christ is the highpriest over our tithes ,our prayers and offering

It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

C

Like I have stated in other threads...Jesus has made it easy.

Love God with all your heart, soul and might. Love your neighbor as your self.

Through LOVE you have fulfilled the Law.

All those references Paul made to the Law was to further expansiate on certain issues affecting the churches he wrote the letters to...but his reference to the law does not in any way negate what Jesus said about how Love fulfills the requirements of the law. Between Jesus and Paul... who's greater?

Please do not lose focus of the big picture here. Don't mistake a tree for a forest
Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by OkaiCorne(m): 1:51pm On Dec 19, 2017
petra1:

Why will the man you follow be quoting the law for new creation? Because he's dealing with it as principle . Even though it's in the law.

C

What is the Bible reference or passage for the part I bolded as per your quote?

Re: The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi by OkCornel(m): 4:04pm On Dec 19, 2017

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atheist Richard Dawkins: Getting Rid Of God Would Make World Less Moral / Video Of Imam Of Mecca Burst Out In Tears, As Grand Mosque Is Empty For Jumat / Jesus Died For The Sins Of Mankind?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.