Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,008 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure (3150 Views)

Chicken Manure For Sale / MANURE DRYER MACHINE / Black Soldier Fly Frass Aka Black Gold Available For Sale. Better Than Manure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure by Adieza(m): 10:31am On Dec 11, 2017
Liquid manure is one of your least expensive and most beneficial sources of crop nutrients. Sadly, it’s often applied to cropland as an afterthought, something to get rid of.

John Yoder, vice president of waste-handling equipment at Eldon C. Stutsman, Inc., in Hills, Iowa, offers these five tips for maximizing the value of livestock manure for crop nutrients.

1. START WITH STORAGE.

Before pumping, properly agitate the manure in your storage tank to make sure you get it as uniform as possible.

“Otherwise, you will be pumping water off the top and sludge off the bottom,” Yoder says.

It typically takes four to eight hours of agitation to get a consistent slurry before you’re ready to haul to fields.

“You want it as equal as you can get it in nutrient quality,” he says.

2. HAVE SAMPLES ANALYZED.

Yoder thinks you should send manure samples to a testing lab for N, P, and K analysis.

Ideally, you’ll take three samples: at the beginning of hauling out, in the middle, and at the end. That will tell you how well you agitated it into a consistent slurry.

The N, P, and K analysis will help you at the next haul out or next year. (You may not get results back in time to help immediately.)

3. PLACE IT CORRECTLY.

Yoder advises putting the liquid manure 6 or 7 inches deep. If you can’t do that, at least cover it on the surface. That helps prevent evaporation and runoff, and it puts it closer to the root zone, where it’s most efficiently utilized.

Use GPS guidance to eliminate overlap in application, Yoder recommends.

4. CONTROL THE FLOW.

A flow-control system can even out application of the manure to a uniform rate.

If you only let gravity control the rate at which the manure slurry flows through the injectors, you’re not going to get even application rates,” Yoder says. “When the tank is full, it flows out faster due to head pressure, compared with when the tank is almost empty.”

A flow-control device takes care of this issue by using a flow meter and a hydraulic valve. “The valve opens as needed to keep the application rate even,” he says.

Flow-control meters and valves are not inexpensive. Yoder’s company sells one that mounts on the outflow line of the manure tanker. It adds about $12,000 to the cost. “It’s worth it,” Yoder says. “You’ll use that tanker 10 years or longer, spreading the cost over hundreds and hundreds of loads.”

5. PICK A NUTRIENT.

Apply manure at a rate that achieves the full, desired rate of your most limiting nutrient – N, P, or K – without overapplying the others.

Say your goal is 50 units of P per acre. When you apply at that rate, you only get about 50% of the N and 25% of the K that are needed.

“Apply for the full P rate, then balance the N and K with other fertilizer sources,” Yoder says.

BIGGEST MISTAKE: NO CONTROL

John Yoder of Eldon C. Stutsman, Inc. doesn’t hesitate for a moment when asked about the biggest mistake he sees in applying liquid manure to cropland. “It’s no control,” the waste-handling equipment expert says. “People don’t know what rates they are applying.”

It happens for a variety of reasons, he says.

“Maybe they don’t get a tank to empty out completely on one load. Or they have a lot of foam on a load. Or for some other reason, they just don’t get the tank completely full. They apply as if it’s a 5,000-gallon load, but they actually only put out 4,000 gallons. They’re 20% off from the nutrient level that they thought they applied.”

That’s where a flow-control device on the tanker really pays off, Yoder says. With the device, the rig will always run with the same manure rate flowing out to the applicator bar.
http://www.agricinfo.com/2017/12/learn-how-to-manage-your-manure-in-5.html?m=1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure by Adieza(m): 10:38am On Dec 11, 2017
cc:lalasticlala and mynd44 cc:seun and farmtech cc:maclatunji and madridguy
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure by bolt000(m): 10:50am On Dec 11, 2017
Well, this is some advanced farming 'shit'.
lemme goan check the weed I planted at my backyard ojere.
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure by SportBlogger(m): 10:55am On Dec 11, 2017
Hmmm

Re: 5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure by Benjaniblinks(m): 10:56am On Dec 11, 2017
Yuck!
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure by Gabbyayo(m): 11:01am On Dec 11, 2017
grin
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure by johnime: 11:01am On Dec 11, 2017
I have been going out with this guy for about two years now and we are already planning marriage. He has gone to see my parents and I have met his parents too. For sometime now I met a lady in his room half naked and I said nothing but sat outside to wait for them to finish whatever they were doing. I waited for almost 30 minutes before he went to see the lady off. Honestly it pained me but after he apologised I gave him another chance. Weeks after that it was the girls birthday and I was with him at a restaurant when the girl came there and my boyfriend introduced the girl to me as my rival. As if that was not enough, he picked a cab for her and asked that I pick a public transport with him in the rain. Even after this I forgave him when he apologised. I decided to not talk about these things again cos the talking wasn't solving the problem. About two weeks ago he went to see my mother because after I see certain things he does I don't talk and I treat him normally as though am not aware anything has happened, so he felt I wanted to leave him and asked my mum to plead with me to forgive him. Now just a weekend after that he brought a girl to my home while I was away on a trip to sleep with her on my bed, this hurts me so much. I think it's the peak of it and I want to call off the engagement and wedding. Though I love him cos he's the first but I have ever been with but I think I have had enough. Sometimes these girls call me to warn me and all. And when I tell him he tells me am framing that up. What do I do. Please I need honest opinions.

Kindly publish this for me I really need advice on this please
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure by jobbers: 11:07am On Dec 11, 2017
good
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure by winofu: 11:25am On Dec 11, 2017
johnime:
I have been going out with this guy for about two years now and we are already planning marriage. He has gone to see my parents and I have met his parents too. For sometime now I met a lady in his room half naked and I said nothing but sat outside to wait for them to finish whatever they were doing. I waited for almost 30 minutes before he went to see the lady off. Honestly it pained me but after he apologised I gave him another chance. Weeks after that it was the girls birthday and I was with him at a restaurant when the girl came there and my boyfriend introduced the girl to me as my rival. As if that was not enough, he picked a cab for her and asked that I pick a public transport with him in the rain. Even after this I forgave him when he apologised. I decided to not talk about these things again cos the talking wasn't solving the problem. About two weeks ago he went to see my mother because after I see certain things he does I don't talk and I treat him normally as though am not aware anything has happened, so he felt I wanted to leave him and asked my mum to plead with me to forgive him. Now just a weekend after that he brought a girl to my home while I was away on a trip to sleep with her on my bed, this hurts me so much. I think it's the peak of it and I want to call off the engagement and wedding. Though I love him cos he's the first but I have ever been with but I think I have had enough. Sometimes these girls call me to warn me and all. And when I tell him he tells me am framing that up. What do I do. Please I need honest opinions.

A leopard does not change it's skin. When you eventually get married to him, he will do the worse. I will advise you do the needful .... run!!!!!!!
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure by deeone10: 11:25am On Dec 11, 2017
johnime:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure by FarmTech(m): 1:46pm On Dec 12, 2017
op where did u copy this from. Because I know this applies mainly to large scale farmers oversea.
Re: 5 Easy Ways To Manage Your Manure by Adieza(m): 2:12pm On Dec 12, 2017
FarmTech:
op where did u copy this from. Because I know this applies mainly to large scale farmers oversea.
From a Foreign Agriculturist.
see the writer name

(1) (Reply)

Biomar Cat Fish Feed Is Available ........08034308587 / I Need Help On How To Export My Ukazi Leaf / This Poor-looking Onion Farmer Is Now A Billionaire Yet Sells Cheaper: See How

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.