Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,213 members, 7,825,803 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine ??? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine ??? (1614 Views)

EOD K24 Engine Vs Evil Spirit K24 Engine. / Toyota Develops World's Most Thermally Efficient 2.0-liter Petrol Engine / Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine ??? by Macgreat(m): 12:03pm On Dec 11, 2017
To the professionals in the house;

Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine

Please explain

* the differences
* which is better
* Durability
* maintainability
* Speed
* Heat
* Advantage / disadvantage
* and others.

I want to know because I have a range rover sport 2015 diesel Engine.
Re: Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine ??? by Macgreat(m): 3:01pm On Dec 11, 2017
Marpol

Help this topic to the front page.
Re: Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine ??? by SpaceAngel: 3:26pm On Dec 11, 2017
The modern diesel engines are very ok considering the fact that you own a 2015 range. I will take it over the petrol version. The only plus the petrol version has over the diesel is that qualified mechanics are rare.
Re: Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine ??? by nurey(m): 8:15am On Dec 12, 2017
Macgreat:
To the professionals in the house;

Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine

Please explain

* the differences
* which is better
* Durability
* maintainability
* Speed
* Heat
* Advantage / disadvantage
* and others.

I want to know because I have a range rover sport 2015 diesel Engine.

Which is better
In Nigeria context a petrol engine is picked over a diesel engine

Difference
Petrol is a combustion engine
Diesel is a compression engine no need of spark plugs

Durability
Diesel engines are more durable than their petrol engine counter parts.

Maintainability
In Nigerian context petrol would win the diesel but generally they are both likely the same the difference is negligible.

Speed
Depends on maker but generally petrol could out perform diesel in the lower class region.

Heat
Diesel beats petrol hands down because the diesel is not a flammable liquid compared to petrol also diesel acts as a lubricant in the engine.

Advantage/disadvantages
The advantage the petrol has over diesel in Nigerian context generally is ease of diagnosing issues and technicians are bound.

The advantage diesel has over petrol is fuel economy a 3.0L V6 diesel has same fuel economy as a 2.4L I4 petrol

Which one to choose
I don't see anyone buying a 2015 Range rover having issues dishing out 100k in 3 month for timely maintenance. I would pick the diesel engine over the petrol if I intend to use the car for a very long time
Re: Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine ??? by Macgreat(m): 3:26pm On Dec 12, 2017
nurey:

Which is better

Difference

Durability

Maintainability
In Nigerian context petrol would win the diesel but generally they are both likely the same the difference is negligible.

Speed
Depends on maker but generally petrol could out perform diesel in the lower class region.

Heat
Diesel beats petrol hands down because the diesel is not a flammable liquid compared to petrol also diesel acts as a lubricant in the engine.

Advantage/disadvantages
The advantage the petrol has over diesel in Nigerian context generally is ease of diagnosing issues and technicians are bound.

The advantage diesel has over petrol is fuel economy a 3.0L V6 diesel has same fuel economy as a 2.4L I4 petrol

Which one to choose
I don't see anyone buying a 2015 Range rover having issues dishing out 100k in 3 month for timely maintenance. I would pick the diesel engine over the petrol if I intend to use the car for a very long time

Thanks Boss!
Re: Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine ??? by bigcil2(m): 9:47am On Jan 08, 2019
Na wa ooo

So it's safe to get a merc e350 2012 diesel engine over it's petrol counterpart
Re: Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine ??? by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:14am On Jan 08, 2019
bigcil2:
Na wa ooo

So it's safe to get a merc e350 2012 diesel engine over it's petrol counterpart

Quality of diesel in Nigeria is laughably hilarious. Better buy a petrol model.
Re: Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine ??? by xyjoe(m): 1:28pm On Jan 08, 2019
nurey:

Which is better

Difference

Durability

Maintainability

Speed

Heat

Advantage/disadvantages

Which one to choose

I drive ML350 Benz Diesel engine V6 and I was amazed on how economical the car was. I got to Anambra state from Lagos with my tank half used and the engine moves very very nicely with less stress. The only bad side is getting the right diesel ( I only buy from NNPC mega Stations) and fault resolution when it happens cos of limited diesel Mechanic and when you get one, they cut your head with price.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine Vs Petrol Engine ??? by bigcil2(m): 12:03am On Jan 10, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Quality of diesel in Nigeria is laughably hilarious. Better buy a petrol model.

Hmmm

(1) (Reply)

Negligent Driver You Are If... / Mercedes-benz ML 350 4matic For Sale / Suggestions For Off-road Suvs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.