Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,606 members, 7,809,218 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine (12941 Views)

Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer / Toyota Develops World's Most Thermally Efficient 2.0-liter Petrol Engine / 2002 Toyota Avensis Needs Conversion From Diesel To Petrol Engine. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by obafemee80(m): 12:04am On Sep 06, 2017
[img]http:///a/img923/5540/9aMsYD.jpg[/img]

The automobile industry is going to witness yet another revolution,this time from Mazda Motor Corp which is ready to introduce a breakthrough engine technology which rivals have been trying to develop for the past few decades.

The automaker will be the first company to commercialize the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition(HCCI) engines called SkyActiv-X,which is 20 percent to 30 percent more efficient than the current SkyActiv-G,and up to 45% more than Mazda's 2008 petrol engine and have surpassed the likes of General Motors,Daimler AG etc

Current petrol engines rely on a spark plug to ignite their air-fuel mix.
The SkyActiv-X will ignite the air-fuel mix spark-free through compression,like a diesel engine.

This,according to the Japanese manufacturer,combines the advantages of petrol and diesel engines to achieve outstanding environmental and power performance

How HCCI Works
[img]http:///a/img924/8554/MGBI1U.jpg[/img]

Mazda’s homogeneous charge compression ignition(HCCI) engine ignites gasoline through compression,just like diesel.

HCCI injects fuel(petrol)during the intake stroke.However,rather than using an electric discharge (spark plug) to ignite a portion of the mixture,HCCI raises density and temperature by compression until the entire mixture reacts spontaneously.

A spark plug is still needed to ignite the fuel at certain RPMs,and juggling the two combustion methods is a complicated puzzle that Mazda claims it has solved.

Unlike diesel engines,and unlike others who attempted a gasoline-fueled diesel,Mazda decided to use a spark plug in each cylinder under some conditions,mostly when the engine is cold at startup.

It calls this spark controlled compression ignition (SCCI) Mazda says the brief period of changeover from spark to compression ignition was tuned to be seamless.

The SkyActiv-X engine will be fitted with a supercharger and will produce 10 percent to 30 percent more torque that current (SkyActiv-G) engine.

HCCI makes possible a super lean burn mode that raises engine efficiency 20 to 30 percent over the current petrol engine,is 35 percent to 45 percent more economical than Mazda’s 2008 petrol engine,and equals or exceeds the diesel engine in fuel efficiency.

https://autojosh.com/mazdas-breakthrough-makes-spark-less-petrol-engine-efficient-diesel-engines/

Credits: extremetech.com

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

4 Likes

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by Temidayo9(m): 12:25am On Sep 06, 2017
Mazda of all Brand... Good 1

5 Likes

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by Aldebaran(m): 6:57am On Sep 06, 2017
Temidayo9:
Mazda of all Brand... Good 1

This will surely kill the diesel engines(emission scandal) and revive the interest in petrol engines

7 Likes

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by menstrualpad: 7:24am On Sep 06, 2017
What nonsense.. So Nurey wee not change his Mazda brand anymore?

1 Like

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by Inception(m): 9:12am On Sep 06, 2017
i see a lot of detonation issues with this design. the knock sensors must be of a very novel design to handle that.
Good luck with using regular octane with such engine.

4 Likes

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by DaimlerBen(m): 2:40pm On Sep 06, 2017
Inception:
i see a lot of detonation issues with this design. the knock sensors must be of a very novel design to handle that.
Good luck with using regular octane with such engine.
Especially the type we "cook". grin

1 Like

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by Inception(m): 4:07pm On Sep 06, 2017
DaimlerBen:

Especially the type we "cook". grin
kpo fire you mean grin grin grin
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by DaimlerBen(m): 7:07pm On Sep 06, 2017
Now, picture a Mazda rotary HCCI... shocked
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by chibike69: 7:01am On Sep 07, 2017
nice one
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by takenadoh: 7:05am On Sep 07, 2017
Hmmm really interesting. Will it be making that awful sound like Diesel?
Plus the weight of the Cylinders will be very much that also will reduce efficiency

1 Like

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by potent5(m): 7:05am On Sep 07, 2017
The kind of technology the earth needs right now. We will continue to improve until we achieve clean fuel and clean energy in the automotive industry.

1 Like

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by mayor2013: 7:07am On Sep 07, 2017
This article shows they (mazda) are confused. Why bring out the homogeneous charged compress technology first and Later come up with the spark plug tech. I pity who ever buys this in Naija with our low octane rating fuel

1 Like

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by kulikuli45: 7:21am On Sep 07, 2017
Coming late...I think.

Truth is the decision has been made to shift control of global economics from the Arabs by moving from crude oil derivatives.

No kind of innovations in petrol engines can change that.

Nuclear and coal power, combined with renewables, will produce more than enough electricity to drive the next civilisation.

1 Like

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by iluvpomo(m): 7:21am On Sep 07, 2017
I thought the push was for all electric
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by ITbomb(m): 7:32am On Sep 07, 2017
The fuel type needed to run this kind of engine efficiently will be very limited
Not suitable for Nigeria petrol type
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by Chiidi(m): 7:32am On Sep 07, 2017
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by Edusouls(m): 7:34am On Sep 07, 2017
they keep inventing,trying to make the world a better place,we are bysy going to church....

2 Likes

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by SooCute(m): 7:38am On Sep 07, 2017
Omo no time is late to make great things happen!

6 Likes

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by AFONJACOW(m): 7:38am On Sep 07, 2017
rubbish.. they are not there yet , until car run with water grin grin grin they need to make things easier for my like
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by Holuwahyomzzy: 8:01am On Sep 07, 2017
Wow
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by muller101(m): 8:10am On Sep 07, 2017
AFONJACOW:
rubbish.. they are not there yet , until car run with water grin grin grin they need to make things easier for my like
so u have not seen engines running with water before
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by AFONJACOW(m): 8:12am On Sep 07, 2017
muller101:
so u have not seen engines running with water before
I never see oooO
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by muller101(m): 8:16am On Sep 07, 2017
AFONJACOW:
I never see oooO
so u have not heard or seen a steam engine before
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by id4sho(m): 8:18am On Sep 07, 2017
A good development not our own kind of DEVELOPERS

1 Like

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by AFONJACOW(m): 8:27am On Sep 07, 2017
muller101:
so u have not heard or seen a steam engine before
I want the one that run totally with water
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by mayor2013: 8:37am On Sep 07, 2017
AFONJACOW:
I want the one that run totally with water

If your wish eventually comes to past and scarcity of water falls on your neighbourhood . Who you gonna blame. Mazda or government huh!!!
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by AFONJACOW(m): 8:47am On Sep 07, 2017
mayor2013:

If your wish eventually comes to past and scarcity of water falls on your neighbourhood . Who you gonna blame. Mazda or government huh!!!
2/3 of this earth is covered with water so why should I run out of water when I have 2 boreholes in our compound grin grin grin
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by Denn(m): 8:48am On Sep 07, 2017
takenadoh:
Hmmm really interesting. Will it be making that awful sound like Diesel?
Plus the weight of the Cylinders will be very much that also will reduce efficiency

Care to explain how you determined that the weight of the 'cylinders' would be much and how that weight would reduce efficiency?

1 Like

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by takenadoh: 8:53am On Sep 07, 2017
Denn:

Care to explain how you determined that the weight of the 'cylinders' would be much and how that weight would reduce efficiency?

Well it's the same with Diesel engines, inorder to withstand such high pressure that will cause self ignition the walls of the cylinders must be pretty thick, basically .

2. If you carry 3 Agbani Daregos i n your Picanto from Ore to Lagos and you carry 3 Yokozuna for the same journey, you'll agree with me that you car will be doing more work in the second case therefore burning more fuel or petrol.

It's just simple logic
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by Denn(m): 8:57am On Sep 07, 2017
mayor2013:
This article shows they (mazda) are confused. Why bring out the homogeneous charged compress technology first and Later come up with the spark plug tech. I pity who ever buys this in Naija with our low octane rating fuel

First, the Nigerian used car market does not make a dot on the planning and research process of vehicle manufacturers.

Second, the spark plugs are only used during Cold starts and at certain RPMs. Current ECUs can manage secondary air pumps, I don't think an ECU designed in 2017 wouldn't be able to know when there is a need for spark or not.

As regards octane, I even think this car would work better with a lower octane fuel. I can share my theory if you want.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by poseidon12: 9:13am On Sep 07, 2017
They better start working on electric vehicles before they are left behind. The push now is towards all electric. I don't see them selling much cars with this technology.
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by Denn(m): 9:59am On Sep 07, 2017
takenadoh:

Well it's the same with Diesel engines, inorder to withstand such high pressure that will cause self ignition the walls of the cylinders must be pretty thick, basically .

2. If you carry 3 Agbani Daregos i n your Picanto from Ore to Lagos and you carry 3 Yokozuna for the same journey, you'll agree with me that you car will be doing more work in the second case therefore burning more fuel or petrol.

It's just simple logic

In summary, are you saying diesel engines are not efficient due to their cylinder weights?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Signs To Watch Out For When Its Time To Change Your Spark Plugs / Ford Issues Safety Compliance And Recalls For 2020-21 Ford F-Series / How To Know The Engine Size Of VW Golf 3 From The VIN Or Engine Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.