Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,918 members, 7,828,201 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

How Do I Handle My Landlord? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do I Handle My Landlord? (22030 Views)

This Is Why Ive Been Avoiding A Shared Apartment. How Can I Handle This? / How Do I Handle My Landlord?? / My Landlord And I (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by erico2k2(m): 11:46am On Dec 14, 2017
Feranchek:

Bros, how many I wan reply na?? This dude dey send these messages like sey dem dey programmed! I've lived in 2 other places before this cos my job moved me around a lot,and I've never had any issues with my landlord or landlady.

And talking bout throwing my things out, lol. Bros you sef know sey that one no possible so no just mention am to form bad ass grin

Notice of renewal or moving out For real??!! Never heard of it, so please enlighten me on that with Lagos tenancy law.

Thanks a mil

Yes he's a businessman, but about not being nice to each other. . . . That really doesn't make sense to me.

Lala biko epp your boy move am to promise land na.... Make I see watin dem oga lawyers go talk. No leh dem pursue me comot for house oooo!! E dakun
Ask well, just as your lanlord requires a certain time to give you a quit notice so does a tenant requires a certain time to give quit notice,check the notice time on your contract if you have one and if you do not have one you have no ligal ground to stand as the onus is then on you to prove otherwise!
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by Seankay323: 11:47am On Dec 14, 2017
Pls o help me o, my stupid landlord has not provided us with a transformer for 1 year after paying rent o. More than 600k rent o. I HV paid rent for 2 years now and a week after I paid for my last rent our transformer blew and since a year now the landlord has been lackadaisical towards resolving the issue, no light for 1 year now after paying rent o. And someone will say the Nxt year i shld pay rent. Help me o shld I go and sleep at the landlords house for Xmas and new yr?
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by abu3(m): 11:49am On Dec 14, 2017
FreeWorld23:
u still have the right to live for at least 3 Months if your are leaving his house. Forget his threat and bullshitts

But if you chose to stay three months after ur rent due without payment...that doesnt mean that period is free. No. If u are not too convince, try to go to court of law to proof ur point...if its free because u ve intention to vacate landlord property.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by erico2k2(m): 11:51am On Dec 14, 2017
AuroraB:
YES
Ask around if you dunno sad
what are you going to do if your things are on the street? especialy when the landlord has been issuing you reminders.The Landlord is a lawyer so he knows what he is doing, sending same text each week is a calculative plan on his part to satisfy the notice period issued to OP thats why he kept on texting.That alone is proof of reminder,Remember Im talking about Op's case.If the due date reaches and OP stuff gets on the street, the worse he can do is go to court which will then turn a civil matter, the landlord had proof of reminders and OP refused to respond to them at the time.So if OP is going to extend his stay by 10 days it would be right for him to notify Landlord ASAP so they can work out 10 days rent and OP should pay that ASAP to avoid stories that touch.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by mfm04622: 11:52am On Dec 14, 2017
Jabioro:
Read Lagos state landlord and tenancy act..where it stipulated rentage and validatn..the law does nt favour any landlord when it comes to duration.Mind you l'm once a tenant,that once had and issues of payment with a lawyer landlord who took me to court..we spent a whole year on adjourment b4 hearing and 5 month on trial,l was ask to choosed when to leave..l gave them 4 month..and packed to my present home ..l treat my tenant like my self..l hv gone through it.do nt implore unnecessary fear.

Did you pay for the time you spent or was it free?
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by erico2k2(m): 11:54am On Dec 14, 2017
Seankay323:
Pls o help me o, my stupid landlord has not provided us with a transformer for 1 year after paying rent o. More than 600k rent o. I HV paid rent for 2 years now and a week after I paid for my last rent our transformer blew and since a year now the landlord has been lackadaisical towards resolving the issue, no light for 1 year now after paying rent o. And someone will say the Nxt year i shld pay rent. Help me o shld I go and sleep at the landlords house for Xmas and new yr?
Your Landlord is not responsible for your supply Of electricity outside his yard, the Government is.Transformer is the responsibility of teh government.I believe this is not only affecting your compound!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by erico2k2(m): 11:56am On Dec 14, 2017
Jabioro:
Read Lagos state landlord and tenancy act..where it stipulated rentage and validatn..the law does nt favour any landlord when it comes to duration.Mind you l'm once a tenant,that once had and issues of payment with a lawyer landlord who took me to court..we spent a whole year on adjourment b4 hearing and 5 month on trial,l was ask to choosed when to leave..l gave them 4 month..and packed to my present home ..l treat my tenant like my self..l hv gone through it.do nt implore unnecessary fear.
This is true but moreso, some Landlords are thugs, they will just simply throw your stuff out on street and wait for you to go to court!you will then be teh one waiting for the court dates.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by chibuzorAbia: 11:57am On Dec 14, 2017
profmiganigal:
Not much......

We all know he must be a yoruba land-lord......I mean owners of land and lord......ancestral owners......bullshit....

Give him the doses of what he want.....

My land lord can't try that with me.........even if he is high on weed......

He has house and I have......not because of business I reside in his house, after all someone is living in my own house.......

Don't give any listening ear to the sonofabitch.......juts tell him u are living by jan ending so no need renewing the rent........he can give u quit notice which guarantees u extra 3months......worse to worst.....hire a SAN.......

I know say na all this charge and bail lawyer wey never win any single case go dey do this shit......

No listen to am.........face ur biz.....jan ending u pack out.....

But if he needs trouble give him.....ahahahahahah

Ana agba aka achu ajo mmuo......

Karma is on its way to you basta*d! You think you are getting away with it,? You will never see your own house in this your wretched horrid life!!!!

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by erico2k2(m): 11:57am On Dec 14, 2017
TEYA:

I wait for the day any landlord will be stupid enough to throw my things outside, if he does not but a house for me we shall see. Foolish touts calling themselves landlords everywhere.
pray it dont come to that
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by AuroraB(f): 11:58am On Dec 14, 2017
erico2k2:

what are you going to do if your things are on the street? especialy when the landlord has been issuing you reminders.The Landlord is a lawyer so he knows what he is doing, sending same text each week is a calculative plan on his part to satisfy the notice period issued to OP thats why he kept on texting.That alone is proof of reminder,Remember Im talking about Op's case.If the due date reaches and OP stuff gets on the street, the worse he can do is go to court which will then turn a civil matter, the landlord had proof of reminders and OP refused to respond to them at the time.So if OP is going to extend his stay by 10 days it would be right for him to notify Landlord ASAP so they can work out 10 days rent and OP should pay that ASAP to avoid stories that touch.
Why do you feel he needs the 'reminder' duuuuuurh undecided
He didn't go brain dead within the year in focus, or did he? Only a psycho sends messages that much in a day albeit addressing same issue. Funny, he won't be having the pleasure of throwing your things out though grin
Did you not read op? Renewing the rent wouldn't be a problem if he wishes to sad

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Dec 14, 2017
chibuzorAbia:

Karma is on its way to you basta*d! You think you are getting away with it,? You will never see your own house in this your wretched horrid life!!!!

U are just a product of what the whiteman calls BADLY EDUCATED......

U deserve non of my reply

Just go and register waec and buy jamb form
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by erico2k2(m): 12:00pm On Dec 14, 2017
AuroraB:
Why do you feel he needs the 'reminder' duuuuuurh undecided
He didn't go brain dead within the year in focus, or did he? Only a psycho sends messages that much in a day albeit addressing same issue. Funny, he won't be having the pleasure of throwing your things out though grin
Did you not read op? Renewing the rent wouldn't be a problem if he wishes to sad
You also failed to see that OP is not wishing to renew his rent though.Why donteh OP negotiate with landlord about the ten xtra days he wishes to stay!

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by femicyrus(m): 12:07pm On Dec 14, 2017
Feranchek:
Hmmm.... my landlord na lawyer and just dey bully other tenants. Now na my turn and when he called me, na vex he take drop phone cos our discussion HOT. I paid towards the end of November last year. Light renovation was to take place in my apartment meaning I'll park in in about 2 weeks. Agent kon kukuma move my rent to Jan 1st. Landlord has been sending me messages to renew my rent and the messages usually come as threats. I just discarded them till he called me last month demanding renewal of my rent. I told him my rent was due by Jan 1st. He argued, threatened to throw me out buh I no send am. Na so he use vex cut. Called his agent and that one told him what was written in my receipt. Now Dec don reash and the man don start work again. He sends me bout 5 threat messages everyday (check the attached pictures) reminding me of my rent. I can afford to pay the rent but I don't plan to renew cos I wanna relocate due to work. Buh na by January ending my money go reash due to the kind of apartment I intend getting and yearly allowances being paid.

Question: How do I tackle this landlord come Jan

Nairalanders, make una epp me biko.

the best way to humble a bully land lord is to open a case file for him/her with the civil defense corps. it works like magic, they have lawyers that handle such cases.
you can thank me later.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by Rubyventures: 12:07pm On Dec 14, 2017
I am surprised at most of the comments on this thread.

The Landlord just wants to know if you will be renewing your tenancy so that he can plan to put the property on the market. Is the landlord not a human being? This is the reason why some landlords treat their tenants like shiit.
Treat people the way you will want to be treated . You have got a hidden agenda and you intend keeping your landlord in the dark, do you think this is fair? even some people are telling the OP to stay three months free in the apartment.

There is nothing wrong with telling your landlord that you will not be renewing but you will like to stay till the end of January because you will be relocating due to work.
We Nigerians like to complicate things are so simple. Also what the OP is doing is morally wrong, on Sunday most of us go to church to shout the name of God and look at the kind of advice that is being dished out. Who is going to fight for the rights of landlords?
God help us all.

6 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by Seankay323: 12:09pm On Dec 14, 2017
erico2k2:

Your Landlord is not responsible for your supply Of electricity outside his yard, the Government is.Transformer is the responsibility of teh government.I believe this is not only affecting your compound!
The landlord has 3 houses on the same street and had a transformer that blew , so has put everyone in perpetual darkness. Is it the tenant that will go and procure transformer for the landlord ? Or look to get one from the government ,is my name written on the c of o as a co landlord of the property? If there's no electricity will people move into the house. I know my mistake was to pay rent early. Does it take a whole year to get transformer? Stupid landlord if he did the maths 5 peoples rent is enuf to buy transformer. I know dis becos a company I work with had same issue and a new one was bought o not given to for free after 1 month. So we HV to wait a whole year for government to get 1 transformer now chai...
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by TEYA: 12:18pm On Dec 14, 2017
erico2k2:

pray it dont come to that
No, I will rather pray it does. I will never refuse to pay my rent though.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by Diso60090(m): 12:20pm On Dec 14, 2017
Feranchek:

Nne you don't get it, how do u handle him by Jan cos na till end of Jan I go fit move out.

Chai. Bros you don ves ooo! Lol. Seriously I dig you. I also have a land somewhere in Lagos and I'm planning to build a commercial building there and will want to reap the fruits of my labour.

Like I said earlier, the dude is a BULLY. Almost all the agents in my local government knows him cos he's got properties abound. He may trample on me if I tow the 'ejor sir' lane. I've never been rude to him and I don't intend to be. I plan telling him to give me till end of Jan to pay him buh na waka I wan waka.

Bros go pay your rent and let nairaland know peace abeg you

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by AuroraB(f): 12:55pm On Dec 14, 2017
erico2k2:

You also failed to see that OP is not wishing to renew his rent though.Why donteh OP negotiate with landlord about the ten xtra days he wishes to stay!
He isn't renewing his rent for obvious reasons. Landlord is making/has made dialogue tough by his theatrics.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by kolaranking1(m): 1:07pm On Dec 14, 2017
The next time he sends that mssg¤¤¤ Get a good pistol,go to his house and shoot him....

Thank me later cheesy
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by eagleeye2: 1:22pm On Dec 14, 2017
Seankay323:

The landlord has 3 houses on the same street and had a transformer that blew , so has put everyone in perpetual darkness. Is it the tenant that will go and procure transformer for the landlord ? Or look to get one from the government ,is my name written on the c of o as a co landlord of the property? If there's no electricity will people move into the house. I know my mistake was to pay rent early. Does it take a whole year to get transformer? Stupid landlord if he did the maths 5 peoples rent is enuf to buy transformer. I know dis becos a company I work with had same issue and a new one was bought o not given to for free after 1 month. So we HV to wait a whole year for government to get 1 transformer now chai...
Like seriously? I thought you were joking initially. Even when someone pointed it out to you that it's not the responsibility of the landlord to provide transformer for you, you still come up with this rubbish.
SmH for Naija people.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by thedondada(m): 1:25pm On Dec 14, 2017
FreeWorld23:
u still have the right to live for at least 3 Months if your are leaving his house. Forget his threat and bullshitts

You guys are funny sha.

If your rent expires and you don't plan to renew you should move at the end of your rent. It's when you are given quit notice that you have a stay period.

If you are planning to move you shouldn't wait till the last month to start looking for a house.

Sometimes tenants can be frustrating. Am not a landlord but I have seen and heard tales of people staying years refusing to pay rent.

Case in point a colleague has an elderly couple in his house that goes for 750k yearly. He says they haven't paid in over 5 years.

If he kicks them.out he's wicked? And they keep saying thier children have abandoned them.

The man bought cement to build his house. You can buy food. Pay your rent.

If you cannot afford it get something you can afford.

@op stay till your rent expires and move on the last day. That's what I usually do to stubborn land lords.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by Zenithpeak(m): 1:25pm On Dec 14, 2017
profmiganigal:

Thanks for selling ur right.....

Badly educated

Inconsequential brat.......
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by Jabioro: 1:27pm On Dec 14, 2017
mfm04622:

Did you pay for the time you spent or was it free?
Free...
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by Jabioro: 1:31pm On Dec 14, 2017
erico2k2:

This is true but moreso, some Landlords are thugs, they will just simply throw your stuff out on street and wait for you to go to court!you will then be teh one waiting for the court dates.
No laws permitted your landlord to throw goods out or lock you out.,he would pay through his/her nose..
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by Jabioro: 1:35pm On Dec 14, 2017
Seankay323:
Your case weak me...l swear!
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by Seankay323: 2:09pm On Dec 14, 2017
eagleeye2:

Like seriously? I thought you were joking initially. Even when someone pointed it out to you that it's not the responsibility of the landlord to provide transformer for you, you still come up with this rubbish.
SmH for Naija people.
who be Dis one sef, I haven't had light for 1 yr u are here taking a mickey. I did not dispute who provides transformer , but will the government come to ur house to give u one if u don't ask and will dey do all the paperwork for u if you are not proactive ? All I said was becos he doesn't live there with us he hasnt been proactive enuf in getting a new one from the government and sm ppl HV paid rent.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by mfm04622: 2:14pm On Dec 14, 2017
Jabioro:
Free...

That landlord just leave you. As you too be landlord now, I pray your tenants do same to you

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by eagleeye2: 2:14pm On Dec 14, 2017
Seankay323:
who be Dis one sef, I haven't had light for 1 yr u are here taking a mickey. I did not dispute who provides transformer , but will the government come to ur house to give u one if u don't ask and will dey do all the paperwork for u if you are not proactive ? All I said was becos he doesn't live there with us he hasnt been proactive enuf in getting a new one from the government and sm ppl HV paid rent.
When your rent expire, tell your landlord you are going to keep staying in his house free, until he provides a transformer for you.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by PRINCEVICKEY: 2:27pm On Dec 14, 2017
PLS PAY .....
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by erico2k2(m): 2:27pm On Dec 14, 2017
Jabioro:
No laws permitted your landlord to throw goods out or lock you out.,he would pay through his/her nose..
I know that no Law permits you to,but there is no law that says he cant as well,Nigerians tend to act b4 going to court if this was not the case tell me why Mr A can go to a police station and get Mr B arrested even though teh police do not have any evidence??you talking about LAW in NIgeria realy
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by erico2k2(m): 2:28pm On Dec 14, 2017
mfm04622:

That landlord just leave you. As you too be landlord now, I pray your tenants do same to you
You k now talk is free, make dem wait till dem see landlord wey be trouble maker
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord? by erico2k2(m): 2:30pm On Dec 14, 2017
AuroraB:
He isn't renewing his rent for obvious reasons. Landlord is making/has made dialogue tough by his theatrics.
Nah the reason he isnt renewing is rent was highlighted in his first post read it, it cos he was transfered or work related, has nothing to do with landlord personal issues and from the write up, the landlord do not live at same address.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Build A House On Swampy Land / My Landlord Is Trying To Eject Me For Having Visitors. Please Help / A Land Title: Excision What Does It Mean(MR LAWYER HELP US B4 WE ARE BEEN DUPED)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.