Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,730 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital (664 Views)

Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War / Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'? / Lalong Declares Curfew In Jos As Hausa And Igbo Clash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by Ecstasy154(m): 10:15am On Dec 13, 2017
Yakubu Gowon, former head of state, says he would have made Jos Nigeria’s capital, but for the fear of being accused of “parochialism and favouritism”.

He said this on Tuesday at the 26th anniversary exhibition and commemoration of the movement of the seat of government from Lagos to Abuja.

Gowon, who was the head of state from 1966 to 1975, said the idea of moving the nation’s capital from Lagos to Abuja was conceived by his government in 1974.

The former head of state said in the course of his search for a new capital city, he was attracted to somewhere in Plateau. Gowon is from Kanke local government area in Plateau state.

He said: “One of the places I saw that attracted me was somewhere in Plateau, those of you who know the place, especially close to Jos forest, will agree that the area is beautiful and I thought that place was beautiful for the capital city.

“But I did not make that choice because I would have been accused of parochialism and favoritism, because it was very close to my original place where I come from. So I said no, I must look at other places.

“The search for a new capital took me around the north-west, and in my state, I continued to look for other places. When I came to Abuja, I was attracted.”

Gowon said although he was the brain behind the present federal capital territory, successive governments failed to name a street in the city after him.

“I had to officially complain to General Ibrahim Babangida when he was the military president, that I have been excluded from getting a street named after me in Abuja, while all other members of the military council who nurtured the idea, had got streets name after them,” he said.

Abuja was made Nigeria’s capital on December 12, 1991.

https://www.thecable.ng/gowon-not-choose-jos-nigerias-capital/amp

1 Like

Re: Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by raker300: 10:19am On Dec 13, 2017
"Gowon said although he was the brain behind the present federal capital territory, successive governments failed to name a street in the city after him"

Gowon, like many other one nigerianist were all screwed over in different aspects.

All those that thought igbos were there problems have all been displaced and disseminated by the nigerian entity so thought they loved.

You can't fight God's people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by Yankee101: 10:20am On Dec 13, 2017
Lagos was congested
Re: Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by GavelSlam: 10:21am On Dec 13, 2017
raker300:
Gowon, like many other one nigerianist were all screwed over in different aspects.

All those that thought igbos were there problems have all been displaced and disseminated by the nigerian entity so thought they loved.

You can't fight God's people

What is this one saying?

Where is Ojukwu and his wannabe fraudster Kanu?

3 Likes

Re: Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by LessNoise: 10:24am On Dec 13, 2017
You want a street named after you shey That one will increase the value of the naira shey? Or give jobs to teeming youths out there shey? Or increase the standard of living shey? Or fix our broken health care system shey? Or solve the fulani crisi shey? Or make boko haram stop killing innocent ones shey? Or wake our youths wake from their deep slumber since all they have to champion is Buhari and atiku shey? Or stop Edo people from crossing the Mediterranean shey? I could go on and on and eventually get banned!!!! Gowon make u get sense
Re: Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by raker300: 10:25am On Dec 13, 2017
GavelSlam:

What is this one saying?

Where is Ojukwu and his wannabe fraudster Kanu?
ojukwu is chilling in heaven after a wonderful state burial.

Unlike awolowo burning in hell after committing suicide with #20 ota pia pia

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by SalamRushdie: 10:26am On Dec 13, 2017
Joa is actually heaven on earth till Hausa Fulanis destroyed the peace
Re: Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by GavelSlam: 10:27am On Dec 13, 2017
raker300:

You mean Ojukwu was buried by the Nigerian government?

Biafra agbu onwu Iwku.
Re: Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by madridguy(m): 10:29am On Dec 13, 2017
Noted.
Re: Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by Yian1(m): 10:31am On Dec 13, 2017
You should have chosen oyo state. quote me you die!
Re: Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by Ecstasy154(m): 10:31am On Dec 13, 2017
I think one of the major considerations for choosing Abuja as the nation capital was because of its centrality
Re: Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by Yian1(m): 10:33am On Dec 13, 2017
raker300:

It's like bedbug dey your brain

1 Like

Re: Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by nonsobaba: 10:37am On Dec 13, 2017
The many rocks within Jos town would have made that a difficult choice. Your immediate concern should be how to retrieve Jos north from hausa-fulani settlers.
Re: Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by ipodstinks: 10:43am On Dec 13, 2017
raker300:

Which heaven? Is it the aba made heaven? Have you ever asked yourself why ojukwu died senile at the end of his life?

1 Like

Re: Gowon: Why I Did Not Choose Jos As Nigeria’s Capital by orisa37: 10:45am On Dec 13, 2017
You are lucky you didn't go to Jos, Bokoharam and Miyetti Allah's Fulani Herdsmen would have hunted you forever.
The Minister of FCT should please name some roads and highways "Yakubu Gowon Ways".

(1) (Reply)

Fayose Dissociate Himself In Approval Of $1 Billion In Excess Crude Account / 20 Different Ways To Make Money Baking (PHOTO) / Frustration Everywhere :I Waited Under Sun Just To Vote For You, But You Failed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.