Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,372 members, 7,822,752 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? (2662 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. / Which Author's Books Have You Read The Most? / What Was The Last Book You Read? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by Orikinla(m): 6:44pm On Feb 26, 2007
How many new Nigerian writers have you read their novels, plays or collections of poems?

From Ben Okri to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Helen Oyeyemi.
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by akara(m): 8:26am On Apr 10, 2007
grin

have read Incidents at the Shrine and The Famished Road, both by Ben Okri.

grin
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by laudate: 8:31pm On Apr 25, 2007
Jude Dibia. His work is really interesting. I read one of his stories titled "Among Strangers," and it was truly deep.

Other new writers whose works I enjoy are Cheluchi Onyemelukwe and Sefi Atta.

Cheluchi wrote "Whose Wife Is She?" while Sefi Atta wrote 'Everything good will come."
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by pearl2(m): 12:25am On Apr 28, 2007
Read Okri's Flowers and shadows, The Famished Road, Adichie's Purple Hibiscus and just finished Half of a Yellow Sun, 2 weeks ago. Also enjoyed Helon Habila's Waiting for an Angel.

Oyeyemi? Haven't read her, leafed thru 'The Icarus Girl' in the library the other day, but haven't read it.
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by creatorjc(m): 7:45pm On Apr 29, 2007
read all of achebes novels,esssays and poetry,some of soyinkas,som of clarks plays and poetry,ben okris FLOWERS AND SHADOWS,amandas HALF OF A YELLOW SUN, AND SEVERAL OTHER NIGERIAN WRITERS.
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by Ndipe(m): 8:09am On Apr 30, 2007
I just started reading "Measuring Time" by Helon Habila.
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by ubaid4: 7:08am On May 21, 2009
I HAVE READ SO MANY OF NIGERIAN WRITERS. I'M LOOKING FOWARD TO READING SEFIAT ATTAH'S 'EVERY GOOD THING WILL COME' AND CHIMAMANDA'S 'HALF OF A YELLOW SUN.'
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by cuteguy4u2: 10:16am On Jun 17, 2009
I am reading motivational book 'How To Make Wealth Without Capital' by Austin Aniekie.The book is wonderful.Try to get it.
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by mamagee3(f): 2:15am On Jun 18, 2009
None
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by Dimka76(m): 2:25pm On Feb 04, 2010
Mamagee , u serious? c'mon dats bad, I guess I have read loads of them. So wat do u read? Ernest Hemmingway?
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by slap1(m): 4:50pm On Feb 04, 2010
I was really shocked to see Chimamanda Adichie's 1st two books in Aba over two years ago, and they were suprisingly original copies! I grabbed one and later came back for the other. The guy in the shop was sure I was mad cos he couldn't see what I was gonna gain from 'wasting' my money on books. Those where the only new Nigerian writing I've read, and I'm actually ashamed. Foreign novels are more cheaper and available than our own works, pity. Well, someone on NL just promised to sell me Jude Dibia's books. God bless him. If you love books like me and you live in Aba where money and the Ariaria Market are all that matters, sorry, scarcity of books will starve and kill your spirit.
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by MyneWhite1(f): 11:58pm On Feb 04, 2010
I hope to make me book more widely available.
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by estrella(f): 10:48am On Feb 05, 2010
Ive been reading american and britain novels since i was eight years old and i only read african novels when i stumbled across my mum's carton of pacesetters and when we had to read some for literature classes.Í'm beginning to fall in love with them though.I started reading helon habila's books and i have a thing for jude dibia's books as well.There's a new crop of african writers coming up folks and they are GOOO!!!
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by Tatase(f): 11:05pm On Feb 15, 2010
It's very difficult for me to read many Nigerian authors. Everything is so heavy-hearted and metaphysical. I mean after some of the Nigerian books I've read recently, Things Fall Apart is like easy reading. Our new authors really know how to depress the soul!

-I read a Jude Dibia book (Walking With Shadows) about a gay Nigerian man who came out and had a wife and kids (it was unexpected since I didn't know what it was about before reading it, and I don't know if I was ready for it).
- Helen Oyeyemi- Icharus Girl (why must everything be so weird and metaphysical).
- Diana Evans- 26A (again with heroines with psychological problems)
- Chimamanda Adichie <sighs>
- Nigerian chick-lit author, Abidemi Sanusi (it's not excellent, but at least it's contemporary somewhat light, everyday life stuff that's relatable)
- Sefi Attah (Everything Good Will Come. This is the only one I've mentioned that I'd read again.)
- Ben Okri (though I wouldn't consider him "new")- I just can't do him. I've tried and  I can't and frankly I don't even want to.
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by MyneWhite1(f): 4:33am On Feb 16, 2010
Tatase

It's very difficult for me to read many Nigerian authors. Everything is so heavy-hearted and metaphysical. I mean after some of the Nigerian books I've read recently, Things Fall Apart is like easy reading. Our new authors really know how to depress the soul!

Have you read A Heart to Mend by Myne Whitman
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by Tatase(f): 12:53am On Feb 17, 2010
Myne White:

Tatase

Have you read A Heart to Mend by Myne Whitman

No not yet, but I've seen you promote it in another thread. It seems like something I'd like. I'll check it out and support. Well done and congrats to you!
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by Suzanne84(f): 8:49am On Feb 17, 2010
Tatase:

-I read a Jude Dibia book (Walking With Shadows) about a gay Nigerian man who came out and had a wife and kids (it was unexpected since I didn't know what it was about before reading it, and I don't know if I was ready for it).
- Helen Oyeyemi- Icharus Girl (why must everything be so weird and metaphysical).
- Diana Evans- 26A (again with heroines with psychological problems)
- Chimamanda Adichie <sighs>
- Nigerian chick-lit author, Abidemi Sanusi (it's not excellent, but at least it's contemporary somewhat light, everyday life stuff that's relatable)
- Sefi Attah (Everything Good Will Come. This is the only one I've mentioned that I'd read again.)
- Ben Okri (though I wouldn't consider him "new"wink- I just can't do him. I've tried and I can't and frankly I don't even want to.

smiley I understand what you mean. However, not all contemporary Nigerian authors dwell on the weird and metaphysical.
Try Sefi Atta's 'Swallow' or 'Lawless', her short story collection. You'll like them.
Toni Kan's 'Nights of the Creaking Bed' is excellent.
Helon Habila's 'Waiting for an Angel' is another good one and so is Jude Dubia's 'Unbridled'.
Chimamanda is a great writer. I'd gladly recommend all her books to anyone but something tells me you're not a fan.
Hope this helps.
Re: How Many New Nigerian Writers Have You Read? by MyneWhite1(f): 11:12pm On Feb 26, 2010
No not yet, but I've seen you promote it in another thread. It seems like something I'd like. I'll check it out and support. Well done and congrats to you!

Thank you very much!

(1) (Reply)

[story] I Called It R.*.p.e (rated 18+)… Part 11 / Chuks Dairy ( Me And My Mother In-law) / Read "Speak No Evil" The Latest Short Story By Uzodinma Iweala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.