Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,227 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) (138818 Views)

Manila Skyline, Philippines / African City Skyline Pictures / Abuja Skyline: Day And Night-time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by 9ja4eva: 6:36am On Mar 01, 2007
Yeah the 2nd one is Adenuga's building.9ja is getting fine and in no time we will start rocking.LOL cool
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by dblock(m): 7:55am On Mar 03, 2007
V.I cheesy

Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by 9ja4eva: 8:42am On Mar 03, 2007
That shld be NOUN and the other shld be Falomo bridge or where?
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by Imani(f): 4:55pm On Mar 04, 2007
Thanks to the starter of the thread kiss. The pictures posted are really nice. cheesy However, i was in Lagos last summer and only saw a few clean places lipsrsealed which happen to be on the Island undecided. I wish the Mainland would be half as clean as the pictures shown.
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by Ndipe(m): 11:25pm On Mar 04, 2007
Some of the buildings are eyesores. The govt should look into refurbishing the blight of Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by 9ja4eva: 6:46am On Mar 05, 2007
Whatever.
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by BigSis(f): 7:43pm On Mar 05, 2007
Interesting pictures. They all look like they were taken on Ikoyi and Victoria Islands. This is not how Nigeria looks on foot. I know you guys want to present a positive image of Naija, but distorting the truth is not a good idea. The average Naija can't afford to buy a can of coke where most of the Expatriates live. They could never live there. This is not how the average Naija lives, which is 99%, who happen to live on the mainland in the various neighborhood and communities.

I think you do a dis-service to yourselves by not showing how the masses live. Simply I think when people visit and realized they were lied to they go back home and tell everybody. However, if you are honest up front, then I think people will be more open to the adventure by visiting Nigeria.

Again, only the foreign workers, primarily connected to the oil industry lives in these places. And even I, if I had money, would not buy property on those islands. The traffice is pure hell, and the quality of life sucks. It once took me two hours, once I was on the the island, to get to the Meridan Hotel.

The Atlantic is re-claiming Bar Beach. However, I don't mean to rain on your parade. I just think it is important to give the real picture of how the majority of Nigerians exist daily.
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by GNature(m): 10:09pm On Mar 05, 2007
Why all the grammar for God's sake ? Do people pay attention to thread topics anymore ?
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by 9ja4eva: 5:19am On Mar 06, 2007
LOL.Abi oh
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by dblock(m): 6:44am On Mar 06, 2007
I'm not posting selectively undecided
I just post areas with skylines as the topic suggests wink
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by 9ja4eva: 6:58am On Mar 06, 2007
I noticed dt too.
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by paddylo1(m): 10:52pm On Mar 06, 2007
@Imani
i will be obliged to take that kiss as the thread starter. . .

@Big sis
Obviously you have either never left Nigeria,or are too brainwashed about africa from wherever you live,last i checked V.I,IKoyi and lagos island have 90-95 percent residents as Nigerians. . again i tell people to give me pictures of the Lagos Skyline,highrises in case u do not understand what skyline means. . it is the same all over the world my dear.if you look at New york city skyline u will see Manhattan with million dollar apartments and condos,the average new-yorker cannot afford this too. . .stop being a negative voice in this thread thats all about showing what Nigeria has to offer.

and i guess that only foriegners reside in Abuja and other nice areas of Nigeria too,Nigeria currently has the second largets G.D.P in Africa(after south africa),this G.D.P does not capture the informal economy which comprises over 60% of the economy,so it is grossly undervalued,at the same time even if 70% of Nigerians are living on the margin u still have 30% in Middle class and upper middleclass and super rich. . .

this translates to over 42million people in this category,more than most african countries and equal to the black population in america living in middle to upper class. .i think u should do a lil research on indian and chinese levels of poverty,india for example has over 300million people in middle class but also over 700million in poverty. . but u never hear of it,all u hear is that its an emerging market. . we should learn to view our glasses as half full

sorry for the rant but,most people are real ignorant concerning how the world works,again to restate my main point,most people in any big american city cannot afford to live in the milion dollar condos,be it miami,l.a,vegas or new york. . .thats just the way it is.

@dblock
what it do playa,keep the pictures coming,and check out the site below,it has interesting pics and articles on Nigeria and africa in general
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=425304

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=665
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by debosky(m): 11:00pm On Mar 06, 2007
@ dblock the blue building is not globacom, its a private developer that owns it, pan ocean oil has offices there though.
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by dblock(m): 1:53am On Mar 07, 2007
Thanks for da clarification debosky

Hey paddy Lo, i posted a lot of developments/projects and pics in those links too. cheesy
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by 9ja4eva: 6:53am On Mar 07, 2007
Well done @dblock
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by BigSis(f): 6:14pm On Mar 07, 2007
Paddy,

You can get as mad as you want. The majority of Naijas are suffering. It is only the theives that rob your coffers, and forces you and your people to the four corners of the earth, that can afford to live on the islands. The pictures that are being displayed is not the real Naija. I've got load of pictures of the real Naija. However, I know you know what the real Naija looks like.

It is all pretend.
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by paddylo1(m): 9:10am On Mar 08, 2007
@bigsis
listen up girl. . .this is a picture thread,post yours our quit yappin,take your vent to another thread or topic. .
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by Mariory(m): 1:03pm On Mar 08, 2007
Exactly.
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by 9ja4eva: 5:12am On Mar 09, 2007
BigSis:

Paddy,

You can get as mad as you want. The majority of Naijas are suffering. It is only the theives that rob your coffers, and forces you and your people to the four corners of the earth, that can afford to live on the islands. The pictures that are being displayed is not the real Naija. I've got load of pictures of the real Naija. However, I know you know what the real Naija looks like.

It is all pretend.

What do u mean its nt the picture of the real Naija?We should stop talking like this and pray for the better of Nigeria.Common now
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by dblock(m): 9:48am On Mar 09, 2007

This building is owned by sapetro(not globacom as I said earlier)

Downtown!!!!!!!
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by BigSis(f): 8:41pm On Mar 09, 2007
That is the problem. You always talking about prayer. That is all you do is pray. When are you going to stop talking and make it happen. Nothing happens unless there is an organized plan and action.

Like I said, this is not the real Nigeria. Displaying big buildings and all ain't worth squat. The majority of Naijas aka 90 % can barely feed themselves, and can't buy a coke out of one of the shops.

Anyway, like I said I have tons of pictures and videos of the real Naija, and how the average Naija lives - THE MAINLAIN.
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by soulpatrol(f): 2:52am On Mar 10, 2007
finally o! someone is bold enuff to say it. we're always saying things like pray this, pray that. i mean its good to turn to God when we're in a dilemma but he aint going to come down and help us. we have to put these things into action by ourselves. dang! we just a bunch of lazy asses. we never think of investing in something for the future, instead are looking for what we can eat now and hoping God will do the job for us. gotta change that mentality. be proactive! angry
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by 9ja4eva: 8:13am On Mar 10, 2007
BigSis:

That is the problem. You always talking about prayer. That is all you do is pray. When are you going to stop talking and make it happen. Nothing happens unless there is an organized plan and action.

Like I said, this is not the real Nigeria. Displaying big buildings and all ain't worth squat. The majority of Naijas aka 90 % can barely feed themselves, and can't buy a coke out of one of the shops.

Anyway, like I said I have tons of pictures and videos of the real Naija, and how the average Naija lives - THE MAINLAIN.

Please admire the Country so far.It wldnt be a bad idea if u start the change by being positive about Nigeria.
soulpatrol:

finally o! someone is bold enough to say it. we're always saying things like pray this, pray that. i mean its good to turn to God when we're in a dilemma but he aint going to come down and help us. we have to put these things into action by ourselves. dang! we just a bunch of lazy asses. we never think of investing in something for the future, instead are looking for what we can eat now and hoping God will do the job for us. gotta change that mentality. be proactive! angry

I believe this election will bring the desired change.
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by BillGatesFan(m): 11:01am On Mar 10, 2007
I don't think Lagos and Abuja are the only city in Nigeria, why not show us pictures of other states? in that case the world can see where our OIL money is going to while the other suffer.
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by dblock(m): 3:11am On Mar 11, 2007
The skyline of Lagos is one of the smallest in the world, taking into account that it is one of the world's largest cities. The vast majority of the bulidings in V.I were constructed and are bieng managed by Private companies, this is not a myth as Nigeria's tallest building is owned by a bank(a private equity). Poverty is not created by commericial activity, it is created when resources doesn't reach a percentage of a countrie's poplation, due to factors such as; Corruption, famine/droughts, lack of resources etc. Every country has various commercial precints and it would be an insult of Lagos had no skyline, Ethiopia has a decent skyline, Sudan, Baghdad and Islamambad do too. The truth is business carries on despite various occurences that may be happening in a country. Sudan has the world's fastest growing economy and poverty cannot hinder this growth. During OBJ's reign povert has dropped from 60% to 54.6%. This buildings are not deceptive they are a part of Nigeria. Infact people from America and europe are insulting the Lagos skyline saying it is too small for it's population and that's the truth. Commericial activity is not what causes poverty. The money that Nigerians aren't seeing is mainly in politicians pockets and not in amere 120 metre tower, yes I said it Nigeria's tallest building is only 120 metres, even Ethiopia is constructing a taller building, so saying that the skyline is where the money is going is ridiculous
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by WesleyanA(f): 9:49pm On Mar 11, 2007
Poverty is not created by commericial activity, it is created when resources doesn't reach a percentage of a countrie's poplation, due to factors such as; Corruption, famine/droughts, lack of resources etc. . . . Commericial activity is not what causes poverty. The money that Nigerians aren't seeing is mainly in politicians pockets

nigeria definitely has resources. it's just that citizens can't afford it because of poverty.
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by 9ja4eva: 3:54am On Mar 12, 2007
We have been unlucky too with our leaders.We need a good leader to take us forward.
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by VOR(m): 5:25pm On Mar 12, 2007
BigSis:

Paddy,

It is all pretend.

@Big Sis
I am with you 100% on this.
Your views pretty much reflect mine that I have
posted here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-8874.32.html

Another thing is that a lot of those buildings are a bit of a joke.
Go inside, often the lifts don't work or like a lot of the country
they suffer from the results of frequent power failure.

I love Nigeria but I don't think development is measured
by how many skyscrapers you have or my tallest building is
bigger than yours.
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by WesleyanA(f): 10:06pm On Mar 12, 2007
VOR:

Another thing is that a lot of those buildings are a bit of a joke.
Go inside, often the lifts don't work or like a lot of the country
they suffer from the results of frequent power failure.

I love Nigeria but I don't think development is measured
by how many skyscrapers you have or my tallest building is
bigger than yours.

yes it is. sort of
in this globalized economy that we live in

you just said it yourself that a lot of the buildings are a joke. (i agree with you. the "national open university of nigeria" pic looks like an abandoned building or a section 8 project building ) and doesn't that reflect our underdevelopment?
we don't that many "tall buildings" either.

how come the better developed a country is, the more skyscrapers they have in their cities?

that's why i said we still got a very long way to go.

it's pretty much the same ol' buildings being displayed over and over again from different angles here on this thread. lol
i'm not hating though. they're cool pics and it's always good to see progress, positive threads
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by VOR(m): 11:01pm On Mar 12, 2007
WesleyanA:

yes it is. sort of[/b]in this globalized economy that we live in

you just said it yourself that a lot of the buildings are a joke. (i agree with you. the "national open university of nigeria" pic looks like an abandoned building or a section 8 project building ) and doesn't that reflect our underdevelopment?
we don't that many "tall buildings" either.

how come the better developed a country is, the more skyscrapers they have in their cities?

that's why i said we still got a very long way to go.

it's pretty much the same ol' buildings being displayed over and over again from different angles here on this thread. lol
i'm not hating though. they're cool pics and it's always good to see progress, positive threads

I'm glad you qualified your statement.
I can think of a hell of a lot more important indicators of
[b]REAL
development. I'm sure you can too. How about
for starters.

1. GDP
2.GNI PER CAPITA
3. Infant mortality rate.
4. Provision of a decent affordable health care, transport service.
5. Free and Universal education up to secondary school.
6. literacy rate.
7. Decent housing.

Shall I go on?
I agree that Nigeria's economy is improving gradually
but given our natural and human resources we really should
be in a far better state than we are.

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record
nice skyscrapers and a few nice shopping centres
and cinema facilities available only to the privileged
are not a true reflection of development.
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by spade: 12:21pm On Mar 13, 2007
Hi Bill Gate grin grin
I've Already Sent that message.
Check You mailbox
Re: Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) by WesleyanA(f): 12:22pm On Mar 13, 2007
VOR:

I'm glad you qualified your statement.
I can think of a hell of a lot more important indicators of
REAL development. I'm sure you can too. How about
for starters.

1. GDP
2.GNI PER CAPITA
3. Infant mortality rate.
4. Provision of a decent affordable health care, transport service.
5. Free and Universal education up to secondary school.
6. literacy rate.
7. Decent housing.

Shall I go on?
I agree that Nigeria's economy is improving gradually
but given our natural and human resources we really should
be in a far better state than we are.

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record
nice skyscrapers and a few nice shopping centres
and cinema facilities available only to the privileged
are not a true reflection of development.

i thought those skyscrapers were business buildings
'cause i know that in my city most skyscrapers are coperate (sp?) buildings. banks, companies, hospitals, govt buildings etc and not entertainment facilities.
and we all know these facilities are necessary for development. and that's why most developed cities have more skyscrapers.
the city i currently live in invest money all the time for companies to come build their headquarters with us.
those skyscrapers aren't there for aesthetic purposes alone.

and those "nice shopping centers," cinemas are also by private investors not public so that has nothing to do with the govt. even though they're highly ecouraged. they should be.

yeah we're not a developed. that's true but if someone is rich and decides to invest his money in a shopping center, or private hospital, the govt can't stop him. lol 'cause it benefits all of us

those things you listed are govt jobs. and i think the govt knows what they're doing. as you said, the economy is improving gradually (i hope this is true. lol).
I know lagos is building her roads, trasportation
and i know there are plans to build abuja

everything is gradual. if the govt decide to build housing facilities (easier to do) and people don't rent or can't afford it (the tough part), it's the govt's loss and our loss.
if there's free education, that means the govt has to find a way to pay teachers their salary, fund the education e.t.c (even now that we don't have it, teachers are going on strike, now think about what will happen if we do have it. and we can't have it for just one year it has to be continous so that's a HUGE investment.)

we have to build our economy first before thinking about free, cheap programs for the masses.

anyways, it' all complicated politics that also has a lot to do with the IMF, World Bank, UN e.t.c these people create their own policies that our govt have to comply with and most of the time, they hurt our (and other developing african countries) development a lot .the UN is fairer in their policies i will assume.
but we blame everything on corrupt govt even though there are other things involved (from my knowledge, the US govt is pretty corrupt too undecided and usually caters for the rich. in fact, the gap between the rich and poor in the US, i won't be surprised is greater and widening everyday than that in African countries)

but i'm sure we'll get there.

and most of the time, if the govt was to start a huge project, they need a center and so they build their office. so i don't see what's so unbenefiting about skyscrapers. they're there for a purpose too and not just for us to look at.

the only thing i'm worried about is that we won't have enough to maintain the infrastrutures. let's just hope our ecoomy continues to grow.

ok. enough rambling from me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) / Japanese Visa And Travelling To Japan / Can Anyone Tell Me How To Get A Nigerian Police Report?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.