Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,194 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Who Knew? 15 Interesting Facts You Never Knew About Turkey - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who Knew? 15 Interesting Facts You Never Knew About Turkey (1098 Views)

15 Interesting Facts About Norway That You Will Be Amazed To Know / Please Does Anyone Know Much About Turkey? / Enlight Me More About Turkey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Knew? 15 Interesting Facts You Never Knew About Turkey by iresidency(m): 11:24am On Dec 15, 2017
1- One – Batman is a city in Turkey

2- Santa Claus was born in Turkey! (he was called Saint Nicholas back then). Saint Nicholas of Myra is the primary inspiration for the Christian figure of Sinterklaas. He was a 4th century Greek Christian bishop of Myra in Lycia, a province of the Byzantine Anatolia, now in Turkey. Nicholas was famous for his generous gifts to the poor.

3- Sabiha Gökçen was the world’s first female fighter pilot and the first Turkish female combat pilot.

4- After London, Turkey has the second-oldest underground railway in the world – the Istanbul Tünel

5- TheTurkish alphabet is missing X and Q, but makes up for it with extra letters like the dotless i: “ı”

6- Hezârfen Ahmed Çelebi was a legendary Ottoman aviator of 17th-century Constantinople (present day Istanbul), purported in the writings of traveller Evliya Çelebi to have achieved sustained unpowered flight.

7- There is a street in Istanbul that is literally called ‘Tercüman Çıkmazı’ – ‘Translator’s Dead End’

8- Turkey is home to Mount Ararat, where Noah’s Ark supposedly came to rest.

9- Two of the world’s seven wonders, the Temple of Artemis and the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, were built in Turkey.

10- Istanbul is the only city in the world built on two different continents.

11- Turkey is the birthplace of all these popular historical figures: the biblical Abraham, the poet Homer, St. Paul the Apostle, the storyteller Aesop, and the father of history, Herodotus

12- Cherries were introduced to the world from Turkey

13- It was in 640 BC when coins made of electrum were utilized for the first time in history, namely by King Croesus in Sardis, Turkey.

14- The Trojan War took place in Turkey. A wooden statue of the Trojan Horse sits on the site today

15- Tulips were introduced to the world from Turkey

Which is most surprising to you? Since it's Christmas, mine is #2. What's yours?

Re: Who Knew? 15 Interesting Facts You Never Knew About Turkey by lonlytroy(m): 11:17pm On Dec 15, 2017
I heard turkey visa is so hard to get these days
Re: Who Knew? 15 Interesting Facts You Never Knew About Turkey by iresidency(m): 4:26pm On Dec 28, 2017
lonlytroy:
I heard turkey visa is so hard to get these days

Could be, depending on how you go about it that is

(1) (Reply)

Getting Into The UK Property Market. How To? Teach Us How To? Get In Here / Seychelles: Who Has Been There? / Ghanaian Woman Runs Mad At The Airport On Return From Kuwait (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.