Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,218 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:26 AM

Before The Gsm Era,what Was Life Like? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Before The Gsm Era,what Was Life Like? (1665 Views)

What Is/was Life Like As An Applicant, Were/are Ur Friends Supportive? / Cbn Tenure System And End Of An Era In Nigerian Banking / Carnibalism In This Modern Era (may Be Offensive) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before The Gsm Era,what Was Life Like? by virtual78: 1:26pm On Apr 01, 2010
Guys,
While looking forward to this Jombo 4 days break from work grin grin, was wondering how we all managed communication before GSM came to Nigeria, lets look at the days of Nitels 090,Nitel landlines e.t.c how did you communicate with your friends and family both locally and overseas then? apologies if this has been discussed before,
Re: Before The Gsm Era,what Was Life Like? by denzel2009: 2:27pm On Apr 01, 2010
You just see relatives/friends knocking on your door coming from Katsina to stay for 1month!
Re: Before The Gsm Era,what Was Life Like? by mashaun(m): 3:54pm On Apr 01, 2010
it was a custom to raise a delegate to come to lagos from oyo to announce the death of oldies.
Re: Before The Gsm Era,what Was Life Like? by 27(m): 10:20am On Apr 03, 2010
Wasn't everything black and white back then too?
Re: Before The Gsm Era,what Was Life Like? by dominique(f): 11:38pm On Apr 03, 2010
it's not even up to a decade and i can't recollect how life was back then.
but i'm sure we all coped well then cos we never miss what we never had
Re: Before The Gsm Era,what Was Life Like? by invisible2(m): 9:53am On Apr 04, 2010
Life was horrible back then, more accidents as people travel around unneccessaily. I went to Kano to see a friend cause his dad died, was told he travelled to Lagos, I boarded another bus and went after him only to be told he has gone to the east on business, all the while he don't know his dad was chilling in the mortuary! Business was damn slow and everything was going on in slow motion.
Re: Before The Gsm Era,what Was Life Like? by okwabayi(m): 10:24pm On Dec 31, 2018
Before GSM I wrote letters. I enjoyed the activity even more than instant messaging of today because it required deeper thinking. The only drawback was the length of time they took to reach their destinations.
Most places within the south took around a week or sometimes even two days. Sending letters from maybe the East to the North took considerably longer, maybe two or three weeks.

I always sent letters abroad. Those took from one month to two years to hit their destination. I remember receiving a foreign letter dated 1991 in the year 1998. Na then I surrender confess say NIPOST no go die well.

When NITEL was near commonplace it was almost as good as useless because ‘all trunks are busy, please try again later’ was a frustrating jingle Nigerians were forced to contend with.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: NNPC Tanker Accident On BRT Lane / When Was The Last Time You Saw A RAINBOW? / Help My Roommate Committed Suicide This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.