Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,727 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? (21057 Views)

9 Most Expensive Cars That Were Found Abandoned (PHOTOS) / These 4 Expensive Cars Abandoned On Nigeria Roads Cost 1.2 Billion Naira / The 7 Most Expensive Cars In The World (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by ojosco7248(m): 7:00am On Dec 27, 2017
because dey wants to show up
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by doyinbaby(f): 7:02am On Dec 27, 2017
I work hard for my money....I do whatever I like with it

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by chygoz3(m): 7:05am On Dec 27, 2017
Sometimes it could be a business decision.
Having a certain kind of car could allow you roll with people in a higher social class.
This in turn could help you get contracts among such people.

I once heard a story about a guy who attended a business/contract meeting driving a 'small' car.
The guy impressed the stakeholders so much during his pitch and he was assured of getting the contract.
After the meeting, the MD walked with him as they were discussing until they got to where the guy parked his car.
The countenance of the MD changed immediately he saw the guy's car but the MD said nothing.
On his way driving back to Lagos, he got a text which informed him that unfortunately they could not offer the contract to him.

What do you think could have prompted that?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Nobody: 7:07am On Dec 27, 2017
It's choice o, the more money you have, the more likely you are to acquire more luxury goods. We don't live forever, so we need to have a good standard of living while here.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by FedericGodwin: 7:08am On Dec 27, 2017
Joelete:

Lol... am not a member of the NPF, am just someone fascinated by consumption behaviour of people. I am of the opinion that one should purchase something if it is absolutely necessary given the situation one finds his/ herself in. I was in Warri recently, where I went to see a friend and stayed over, and in the area, there were families living in a one room apartment on average, 3 children in the house and a very expensive car is parked outside, don't you think it will be rational to get a bigger apartment for the family than spend huge amount on a car, while the children are literally struggling to feed and attend better schools?
Who told you the history of the family within 24hrs? How would you know if he was just transferred from where he built his own house?
Stop being mischievous and generalization.
You can only be very sure if your family members have done same before. Face your life and make your money
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by BagWay: 7:08am On Dec 27, 2017
camry 2.4
special edition

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by agarawu23(m): 7:09am On Dec 27, 2017
Readonee35L:
Can you give me an example of expensive cars you see this people in one bedroom apartment driving?

And I hope it's not Toyota camry or Honda Accord.

There are some areas where one bedroom self contain apartment cost up to 1million.
And you don't expect the person occupying it to drive a corolla.

If you don't know, a car is one of the most expensive accessories a person can own.

If I pay 1m for a self contain apartment. I can as well drive a 3m car. The rent will surely finish but the car will stay.
So u will live in a tenant house and use 3m to buy car while your mates are using the money to start their own house

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 27, 2017
To oppress your peers.
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 27, 2017
Jakumo:
That mass mental illness that compels the poor to pose as the rich is particularly prevalent in the USA's black population.

In the USA, a steady job held for a few years is all that is required for even "financially challenged" people with poor credit records, to "buy" virtually any car with a 4-year payment plan, simply by signing up to purchase a car by monthly installment, after making a small down payment, or NO down payment at all. In fact, it is RARE to see anyone in the USA who regularly buys cars by making a full cash payment to cover the entire cost of the vehicle at the time of purchase, as is the norm in Nigeria.

Normally, car buyers make payments every month, known in the USA as the "car note", on any car that is bought used or brand new. As a result, many blacks and other broke Americans go into debt WAY over their heads, by purchasing flashy cars whose monthly payments will ultimately prove to be beyond the means of the buyer to pay.

This installment payment trap thus lures generations of poor, ghetto-dwelling black Americans into deep, deep debt, which in turn has resulted in the establishment of another major industry called "Repossessions", that is centered around the stealthy, commando-style grabbing back of cars whose owners can no longer make their monthly payments.

So, while it is not unusual to see a poor janitor, garbage truck driver, parking lot attendant or burger-stand minimum-wage laborer driving a brand new luxury sports car in a bid to pose as a rich man on the streets of America, it is equally common for such cars to be snatched by "The Repo Man" and his trusty tow-truck, literally at any time, day or night, once that "car note" payment has been recorded as late or missing, for just ONE month.

America is truly a debtors paradise, that in the end turns out to be a debtor's hell, for many a low-income poseur who is deluded enough to imagine that driving a flashy car is their ticket out of poverty, in addition to its role as a decoy used to gain honey-hole access with materialistic and gullible women seeking a free ride in exchange for timed humping sessions atop that pay-per-view, high-mileage poon-tang.

how much do garbo truck driver make in the usa .....incase u dont know dey make over $50 an hour ...from this trash u re writing it is obvious u ve never been to the states..........
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by bellville: 7:14am On Dec 27, 2017
jaychubi:
Well it's called packaging simple, not everyone will come to your house but everyone will see u with ur car grin grin grin grin

Believe you me u need a good car to succeed in some profession eg contractors as a contractor or even lawyer d kind of car u drive makes ur clients trust u more with big deals grin grin grin it works all d time jst make sure u appear rich even if u r poor.

U must package ur life to succeed in life where u live, the car u drive, the clothes u wear, ur spoken n written English, d caliber of frnds u roll with, d joints u hang out all na packaging.

U travelled to Abuja from PH via bus a day earlier and a client is waiting for u at transcorp hotel n u receive his call in ur hotel room n u tell him hw u will be in Abuja in 45min using ur private jet lol na packaging, once he hears private jet he can trust u with 10 billion contract na packaging.

Rich ppl only trust rich ppl, to roll with big dogs in town u must package ur life
You are very right. Back then in 2008 I had a colleague whose salary was just N120k. He bought an expensive car on loan and had to pay back 100k monthly from his salary. All of us thought he was stupid. The first day he brought his car to the firm (law firm), he parked it in our our boss' space. Our boss got to know he owned the car. Before we knew it, he chose him as his proxy at board meetings of some notable companies where he had controlling shares. With that car, he had access to some clubs on the island and brought in good briefs. He left the firm to set up his own practice shortly after.

This same guy chose to live in one bedroom apartment (bq) in a posh estate in Lekki when the same money he paid as rent could have gotten a 2bedroom flat in Dolphin. He said "I won't live in Dolphin, I have my reasons". He really knew what he was doing.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by agarawu23(m): 7:17am On Dec 27, 2017
Jakumo:

It is all about that ying-yang, and how to dip one's wick DEEP in the promised land, bearing in mind all the while, that old saying that tells us : "No money - no honey."
what u are saying in cconclusion is...; guys buy big cars to hunt ladies

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by holysina(m): 7:17am On Dec 27, 2017
Joelete:

Mercedes Benz Glk, Toyota Venza, Honda accord 2010 model, Acura ZDX, Toyota Hybrid, honda crosstour etc.
They basically wake up every morning to wash the car like it's the most important asset they own in life, whereas the money used for the purchase of some of these cars could help them start a petty business and even start building houses. Don't you think it's just the prestige and social class and the fact that they want to gain the approval of their peers as being well-off that's driving them to commit to buying such expensive cars?
I disagree with u to an extent, some people buy big cars because of the type of business they do, they need to appear comfortable to their clients , no one wants to entrust their money in the hands of some one that looks hungry. One of my brother has two house in enugu, a duplex in onitsha but he lives in a self contain in enugu, drives a Toyota fortuner and a venza
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by seguno2: 7:18am On Dec 27, 2017
Misplaced priorities for blacks who have no good road, no maintenance culture and end up under-utilising the fuel guzzlers.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by tete7000(m): 7:21am On Dec 27, 2017
Different strokes for different people, we are all wired differently. What you consider a priority may not be another man's priority. Everyone is free to make his choices as it suits him/her.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by seguno2: 7:23am On Dec 27, 2017
holysina:

I disagree with u to an extent, some people buy big cars because of the type of business they do, they need to appear comfortable to their clients , no one wants to entrust their money in the hands of some one that looks hungry. One of my brother has two house in enugu, a duplex in onitsha but he lives in a self contain in enugu, drives a Toyota fortuner and a venza

Is it only the size/cost of a car that determines how comfortable it is?
419 people are always appearing “comfortable” to falsely earn the trust of their victims.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by DieBuhari: 7:23am On Dec 27, 2017
jaychubi:
Well it's called packaging simple, not everyone will come to your house but everyone will see u with ur car grin grin grin grin

Believe you me u need a good car to succeed in some profession eg contractors as a contractor or even lawyer d kind of car u drive makes ur clients trust u more with big deals grin grin grin it works all d time jst make sure u appear rich even if u r poor.

U must package ur life to succeed in life where u live, the car u drive, the clothes u wear, ur spoken n written English, d caliber of frnds u roll with, d joints u hang out all na packaging.

U travelled to Abuja from PH via bus a day earlier and a client is waiting for u at transcorp hotel n u receive his call in ur hotel room n u tell him hw u will be in Abuja in 45min using ur private jet lol na packaging, once he hears private jet he can trust u with 10 billion contract na packaging.

Rich ppl only trust rich ppl, to roll with big dogs in town u must package ur life

100%

The thread can be closed now.
Joelete this is the true answer to your question

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by jimjemo: 7:26am On Dec 27, 2017
The so called expensive cars are made for human use. It is not peculiar to some class of people , what's important is not to be in self deceit while using those rides !
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by coolh3ad(m): 7:33am On Dec 27, 2017
Joelete:

Mercedes Benz Glk, Toyota Venza, Honda accord 2010 model, Acura ZDX, Toyota Hybrid, honda crosstour etc.
They basically wake up every morning to wash the car like it's the most important asset they own in life, whereas the money used for the purchase of some of these cars could help them start a petty business and even start building houses. Don't you think it's just the prestige and social class and the fact that they want to gain the approval of their peers as being well-off that's driving them to commit to buying such expensive cars?

...and how.are you sure they do not have their various businesses and are already building their houses.
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by symbianDON(m): 7:33am On Dec 27, 2017
firstly, op, I don't know of anyone who drives a venza, crosstour or a GLK who lives in a one room apartment...that one na lie cheesy secondly, owning a 'big' car is quite important as soon as you can afford it....it's called creating impressions grin haven't you heard that impressions, especially first, matter a lot? why do think police treat 'seemingly' poor and averagely rich men with contempt and disdain while giving the 'seemingly' very rich preferential treatment at checkpoints? why do you think everyone tries to be nice to folks driving obviously expensive cars as opposed to ones driving the regular camry 2.2 and co? impressions, my people, impressions!!! people will relate with you the way you put yourself across to them!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Abudu2000(m): 7:34am On Dec 27, 2017
So nobody here thinks expensive cars are more durable with better resale value??
No one here is thinking how faster cars would take u to ur destination??

Neither of you here is thinking of the comfort especially in seasons like this when u can travel with your family and have a nice time.

I guess all of y'all here living a real proverish life indeed and u see rich ppl as a threat..I ve got 5cars and counting, different occasions 4 each

7 Likes

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by NwaliE01: 7:35am On Dec 27, 2017
Just know that there are some places you can't enter with your camry pencil light. Wealth is in class and same to social status.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Abudu2000(m): 7:38am On Dec 27, 2017
symbianDON:
firstly, op, I don't know of anyone who drives a venza, crosstour or a GLK who lives in a one room apartment...that one na lie cheesy secondly, owning a 'big' car is quite important as soon as you can afford it....it's called creating impressions grin haven't you heard that impressions, especially first, matter a lot? why do think police treat 'seemingly' poor and averagely rich men with contempt and disdain while giving the 'seemingly' very rich preferential treatment at checkpoints? why do you think everyone tries to be nice to folks driving obviously expensive cars as opposed to ones driving the regular camry 2.2 and co? impressions, my people, impressions!!! people will relate with you the way you put yourself across to them!
my brother leave the pooor minded ones to comment rubbish all they want, maybe that's why they are poor anyway. How can someone say that in USA car is just a show off when they are sparsely populated Even another idiot up there thinks expensive cars are waste of money. They forget the resale value, the fast and durable experience compared to their regular golfs. It's just preference tho, how can u take a Camry to a real corporate function and expect respect..

There's a reason the rich get rich and the poor grow poorer tho
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by InvertedHammer: 7:42am On Dec 27, 2017
Joelete:
I see a lot of people driving expensive cars, yet they live in a one room apartment. That leaves me to wonder "why do they do that?' Can it be attributed to low self esteem? Just curious.

The curse of black race--live for the moment.

Of course, there are exceptions.

You see them all the time. Those Nigerian girls driving nice cars are the worst beggars.
/

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by goldtooth: 7:49am On Dec 27, 2017
Jakumo:
Men buy expensive cars in order to appear successful and wealthy. They wish to appear wealthy even if they are completely broke, and paying for that flashy car by installment, BECAUSE they know that women are drawn to the ILLUSION of money, just as easily as they are to REAL wealth, regardless of whether the man they presume to be rich is dinosaur-old and ugly as sin.

Posing in an expensive car is a time-proven means of getting more women to open up their legs for wanton humping by the poseur in the fine car, and for that reason ALONE, many a horn-dog will STARVE himself if need be, so as to be able to afford the car that he needs as a vehicle of deception whose primary purpose is to display status, rather than to serve as practical transportation.

If you only drive a palm-wine tapper's unfairly used rusty bicycle, it will be INFINITELY more problematic for you to find women who will gobble and mount your knob, than would be the case if you tooled around town in a Ferrari 450, like our man Dino, that treasury looter extraordinaire, of the "Ajekun Iya" fame.

I like the way you articulate your thoughts and use words kiss I am tripped

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by holysina(m): 7:52am On Dec 27, 2017
seguno2:

Is it only the size/cost of a car that determines how comfortable it is?
419 people are always appearing “comfortable” to falsely earn the trust of their victims.
I am trying to make u understand that people don't only buy big cars to show off or brag, alot of people buy it for business purpose. Every one has a reason for buying a big car while staying in a rented apartment
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by groomed: 7:53am On Dec 27, 2017
greenhulk:
Some people cannot just mind their own business. Someone bought an expensive car, so what? Go and buy ur own na. Did the person come to beg u for money to maintain the car or money to eat? I just don't get it with Nigerians, na so so aproko. Is it ur money?
the op no get car. Simple. He doesn't have a ride. Someone who has doesn't reason or talk like him.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by ExpressDiggers: 8:00am On Dec 27, 2017
symbianDON:

You have not seen? My broda u have definitely not been to Warri, i swear.

I bliv what d op is saying is DAT priority matters. I know a good no. dat pray for breakthru. wen small change enter thier hands, they run n get a big car while their roof is leaking
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Maj196(m): 8:01am On Dec 27, 2017
Nigeria sef u buy car wahala u no buy na still wahala. Smh
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Mechejy: 8:02am On Dec 27, 2017
falcon01:
To stand out from others
To show the success rate is not thesame
To brag
To make people jealous
To look fancy
To look rich
To show power and wealth
To be different from others.....
Tland so on
There are more than a thousand reasons why people buy expensive cars..
for oyedepo,oyakhilome,okotie,oritsejafor na to please thier flesh & blood
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by chronique(m): 8:05am On Dec 27, 2017
Different strokes for different folks. I remember growing up and we had about 4/5 cars and we lived in a rented apartment. I dont know if it was the increment in rent that finally made my old man decide he had had enough of the house and he quickly rushed to complete the back part of his duplex and we moved in and started living in the house, while work was going on to complete other parts of the house. Personally, I see cars more as my stock, than an asset and that's cos I sell cars for a living. But I really have a problem with anybody who lives in a face-me-i-face-you apartment, and drives a car of anything close to 2m. To me, that is a misplaced priority. In fact,I do not think you need a car if you live in such an apartment.
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by miqos02(m): 8:05am On Dec 27, 2017
Joelete:
I see a lot of people driving expensive cars, yet they live in a one room apartment. That leaves me to wonder "why do they do that?' Can it be attributed to low self esteem? Just curious.
they are spending their money not yours

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Model Of Car Is Best For Nigerian Roads? / Where Can One Get SAE 5W30 Engine Oil Here In Nigeria...? / My Camry Gear Not Selecting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.