Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,922 members, 7,821,232 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" (5416 Views)

New Auto Sections Rules: Matters Arising. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by GeorgeD1(m): 4:11pm On Apr 05, 2010
Onwan:

@Poster
What you will buy from Elizade is the same as what you will get from Lanre Shittu. As far as the dealership is concerned (which is what I believe this forum and thread is about) its a standard Toyota dealership with West African Market tailored vehicles.

Its a dealership you get the standard warranties and terms like any other official toyota dealerships. And please note that he runs an actual dealership with Toyota AND NOT someone who by chance gets "brand" "new" Toyota vehicles for sale.

did i notice an undercurrent here?

looks like someone has a tiff to settle with inspired! grin
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by jacklucas: 5:44pm On Apr 05, 2010
inspired_m:

[b]
Thanks for the input, you see like every Business venture is out to make Profit, theres a thin line between Profit Making and Implicit Extortion.

There is No excuse for Elizade Toyota Nigeria to sell those cars at ridiculously prohibitive prices. Warranty/Nigerian factors are not plausible excuses, These cars are brand new and were not Manufactured here, They are Wholesalers on the Chain hence the cost of Warranty is not borne by them but the Manufacturers.

It may also interest you to know that These Toyota Nigeria Cars are Custom Cleared at Discounted Prices.

The Excuse Toyota Nigeria through Elizade has given to the teaming, unsuspecting Ignorant buyers is that their cars are ''tropicalised'' for the West African Climate, forgetting that North America has 2 Extreme Weathers where some parts are even Hotter than Chad sometimes of the Year and the Specs are made to Survive both Weathers.

Around November 2008, I offered Toyota Nigeria s' Fullest Option for 2009 Toyota Corolla, Thumb Start, Leather as a Promotional Offer to Nairalanders, you can check this link https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-199637.0.html

As at today That car is Sold for 4 Million Naira, Now There are different trims offered to Nigerians, the GLi, XLi and some other funny name, Theres a trim sold for as low as 2.6 million Naira.

Whenever Toyota Nigeria sells any spec that is at par with the North American specs The price tag is always Astronomically Absurd.

The 2009 Toyota Camry vvt-i which rates at par with the Camry XLE is sold for 9 Million Naira

The 2009 Toyota Corolla Leather Thumb Start which equates to the 2009 Corolla XLE north American Specs is sold for 4 million naira,

If that is not Implied Extortion, I don't know what it is.

You see the Problem Is We Nigerians, Toyota Japan manufacturing cannot mandate Nigeria  to buy Scrap from Toyota South Africa, Even the UAE / Middle East Specs are Lot Better. My understanding is that Elizade Toyota Nigeria being aware of the gullibility of Nigerians to buy anything brand new actually mandated Toyota South Africa Manufacturing Coy to strip down basic safety options for The Nigerian Market to lower cost of Production In order to Maximize Profit.[/b]
 cool cool

Inspired, that is a brillant analysis, is there anything like corolla xle in American specs ?
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by Onwan: 5:54pm On Apr 05, 2010
@George_D
Don't know what you're getting at BUT we are talking about Toyota dealerships, Elizade and Lanre Shittu Motors (A dealership I've known and patronized since late 90s). Inspired sells cars here and is one of the very reliable dealers on nairaland, so I don't see what this has to do with him.

The Poster needs to be clear on those issues. He can decide to buy from Afghanistan if he wants to.
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by blapo(m): 6:28pm On Apr 05, 2010
From the opinions i've gathered so far, its not the fault of the dealers, but that of our government for poor regulation.
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by Onwan: 6:49pm On Apr 05, 2010
@Blapo
Good point you have there BUT i think it also has to do with the integrity of the dealership and overall responsibility of Toyota. What would Toyota say for instance if you tell them you need to buy a car from them and you are in Lagos, Nigeria? I think that's a good place to start from.

I know AP will ask you to talk to Polo if you want to buy their wristwatch and you are in Nigeria.
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by axeman85(m): 7:24pm On Apr 05, 2010
Onwan:

@Blapo
Good point you have there BUT i think it also has to do with the integrity of the dealership and overall responsibility of Toyota. What would Toyota say for instance if you tell them you need to buy a car from them and you are in Lagos, Nigeria? I think that's a good place to start from.

I know AP will ask you to talk to Polo if you want to buy their wristwatch and you are in Nigeria.

nicesly asked. most international organisations with reps in nigeria will simply direct you to their reps in naija. few days ago i wanted to buy a machinery part from glory which manufactures money counting machine. i wanted to buy directly from them due to the cheaper cost as well as other peeks that comes with it, but the told me bluntly to go and see their rep in naija. but you can always buy directly from them while in their country and ship it. otherwise you go thru deir rep in naija.
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by Onwan: 9:37pm On Apr 05, 2010
@axeman85
Very true.

If Toyota refers you to anyone in Nigeria, they can cover the vehicle (which you had better register and confirm details with them), it will be like buying off the production line. Anything apart from that puts you in the risk country.

Like the Glory people; Thuraya referred my co. to their rep. in Nigeria - Danasat; we called them and their prices were expensive (about 161k for the base model), then we decided to buy from a local dealer at about 105k only to find out that each time we place a call from a remote location in Nigeria to anywhere in the world we were being billed for calls routing from Germany to their base in the east and back to Germany then to our called number (almost billed triple) - they were simply lines programmed for a specialized service to a group in Germany - and the phones were trade-show 2 weeks used.

So its easier at times to contact manufacturers by email or phone to know who to talk to locally and save yourself a lot of stress.
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by eros(m): 10:56pm On Apr 05, 2010
With all of this said, can Nigeria ever be corruption free? It is really saddening to read about how certain auto dealers defraud unsuspecting customers and how they connive with the manufacturers abroad to do the same.

If it is not the politician bleeding us dry, it is the telecommunications company or the several other companies in Nigeria. We have a long way to go in Nigeria.
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by Onwan: 11:10pm On Apr 05, 2010
@Eros
Its a global thing. The only way governments try to combat these things is to setup committees and try and get regulations in place. BUT with us humans in these committees and enforcement, it all comes down to efficiency and integrity. I'm sure you know the rest cheesy
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by GeorgeD1(m): 10:04am On Apr 06, 2010
Onwan:

@George_D
Don't know what you're getting at BUT we are talking about Toyota dealerships, Elizade and Lanre Shittu Motors (A dealership I've known and patronized since late 90s). Inspired sells cars here and is one of the very reliable dealers on nairaland, so I don't see what this has to do with him.

The Poster needs to be clear on those issues. He can decide to buy from Afghanistan if he wants to.

still the undercurrent is unmistakable. in anycase, let's leave it lie.
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by CHANCEMAN: 2:15pm On Apr 06, 2010
The problem is that Nigerian distributors usually add large margins to their prices.There is no reson why a 2009 c-class merceds -benz should be sold for 10million naira and above if not for greed becos the go to any mercedes benz website, u.sa.,Dubai,Germany those cars cost less than 40k dollars.If there is a price differential in Nigeria it should be only as a result of duty payments and possibly taxes.
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by Onwan: 2:33pm On Apr 06, 2010
@Chanceman
I think the issue with the poster tilts more to the authenticity of the vehicles; being production line brand new or arrangement brand new.

But I think that Mercedes Benz pricing in Nigeria is way off the standards out there. Even for brand new ones.
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by CHANCEMAN: 2:23pm On Apr 07, 2010
That is what i am saying prices globally are the same save for differnces in specs that is for new cars.Why should toyota or mercedes products cost so much more in Nigeria.If there should be any difference this should be as aresult of transportation,excise duty etc.If they sold cars at the right prices what will be the incentive for grey products .
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by Onwan: 3:45pm On Apr 07, 2010
@Chanceman
Very good point. Its as if in Nigeria, they sell per people's view or hype of the vehicle.

You can imagine in Ikeja, there is an 08 Hummer H2 ("Brand new") for 18 Million, Its a very sad case (This is a vehicle that the 2010 costs about $62k). Meanwhile the regular price for a 2010 brand new full option Landcruiser is 13.5 - 14Million (which still makes sense).

The same reason why a 2009 brand new S class costs 23Million in Nigeria - Its crazy.
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by Nicols(m): 4:47pm On Apr 07, 2010
I wonder why people will spend their hard earned money on junks in the name of tear rubber. Okada manufacturers in China have suddenly delved into cars, many of such cars that were rejected in western courntries are all over Nigeria. Funny enough, most of then dont even consider the safety implications of such cars before buying.
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by MrKelly: 5:10pm On Apr 07, 2010
Good post. I hope those "tear Rubber" fans are reading this. I posted a thread here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=373458.msg5215668#msg5215668 about a colleague who bought a brand new Corolla and had a serious accident with his car. The surprising aspect of the accident is that despite the serious impact on the car and the occupants, none of the two airbags deployed.

It is so worrisome that government and their various designated agencies are doing nothing about this despite the adverse implication on lives and properties.
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by CHANCEMAN: 2:34pm On Apr 08, 2010
Do we have any authority or body in Nigeria in charge of maintaing such safety standards and do we actually have a required standard of safety for articulate vehicles backed by legislation, these are the salient issues.
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by otokx(m): 3:12pm On Apr 08, 2010
Knowledge is indeed power.
Re: Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" by GeorgeD1(m): 10:21am On Apr 12, 2010
Mr Kelly:

Good post. I hope those "tear Rubber" fans are reading this. I posted a thread here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=373458.msg5215668#msg5215668 about a colleague who bought a brand new Corolla and had a serious accident with his car. The surprising aspect of the accident is that despite the serious impact on the car and the occupants, none of the two airbags deployed.

It is so worrisome that government and their various designated agencies are doing nothing about this despite the adverse implication on lives and properties.

kelly,
sadly the 'fakes' seem to be winning the battle. for your info, geelly the chinese car manufarturer is now the 'proud' owner of volvo. they bought volvo for some record millions of dollars-money made most probably by selling substandard cars in africa and nigeria inclusive!  sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

2017 Model Toyota Highlander Limited Toks Full Option / Enroute To Lagos - Nigeria 2009 Toyota Camry Le (x3) *** Make Your Decision Now* / An American Spec. Toyota Corolla 2009 Le/xrs Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.