Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,868 members, 7,817,565 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. (2001 Views)

What Breed Of Dog Is This Dog? (Photos) / I Think My Dog Is Not Dead, The Veterinary Doctor Lied. / Help! See The Funny State Of My Dog's Ear (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Othello92(m): 7:10pm On Dec 17, 2017
Leo is 10months old but it jumps on people whenever I take it out for a walk. Anytime I try taking it for a walk and it sees a lizard or someone, it runs after them.
It always jumps on people and whenever we are outside he resists my commands and insists on his own will. Please how do I make it to stop these habits?

Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Topestbilly(m): 7:18pm On Dec 17, 2017
"whenever we are outside he resists my commands and insists on his own will."

This is the case of the president and the citizens of Nigeria in reverse.

You have two options
1. Get a dog handler to help you teach your dog manners and sense of belonging.

2.Sell it before the dog land you in trouble.

5 Likes

Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by dkronicle(m): 7:32pm On Dec 17, 2017
Call a calabar man
Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Greene66: 8:02pm On Dec 17, 2017
Jumps on people to do what?

Play or Attack?
Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Rainbowkiss: 8:06pm On Dec 17, 2017
So even with such a fine house you still have an ekuke as a pet ...shame.

3 Likes

Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Othello92(m): 8:46pm On Dec 17, 2017
It's not an ekuke it's a fawn GDD.

2 Likes

Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Othello92(m): 8:49pm On Dec 17, 2017
to play
Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Greene66: 9:00pm On Dec 17, 2017
Your dog is trained to be a pet for fun and games.. There is no problem here.

Just keep a short leash so he doesnt jump on people to avoid insults. Not everyone likes dogs

3 Likes

Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Ocn96: 9:14pm On Dec 17, 2017
Your dog is not an ekuke bro, and at 10months it's growth is ok. Make sure u keep the leash short but not too tight when walking the dog. Try to perfect calling the dog's name with a sharp commanding tone when u catch it doing something wrong, that way d dog will sense ur displeasure even from d way u call its name. So when it misbehaves on d road the way u call his name will even save u a lot of stress.

3 Likes

Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Othello92(m): 9:24pm On Dec 17, 2017
I am so grateful to you guys @ Greene and ocn
Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by okikiosibodu(m): 11:11pm On Dec 17, 2017
Just as Greene66 nd Ocn96 stressed out, a short leash will really be helpful, let me stress out a few tips: a short leash will restrict its movement. A long leash will give it more freedom and also give the dog more chance to flex its strength. One thing I have discovered wit hyper active dogs is that they love tasking duties.... So pulling against a long leash will send a signal for a "pulling" competition during which they will enjoy, na the person wey dey hold the chain go suffer am.
With a short leash, it will be easy to correct the dog. When he is sniffing dirty on the road or doing something you dont like, just jerk the chain slight by pulling it up. You have to be careful not to hurt the dog or make it uncomfortable, or even cause internal injuries in its neck or throat. You accompany this action with a verbal word (like 'no!') so over time, the words can be sufficient to correct the dog without necessarily having to jerk the chain.
Try to watch videos on YouTube, and watch many of Caesar Milan's videos. Also work you dog on the same route regularly so he gets used to it and doesn't get too hyper when trying to explore a "world" it is fascinated with... Pls update this thread with the process of you quest in taming your canine
I am longing for when I will safely work an hyper active canine in public, without a leash.

3 Likes

Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Othello92(m): 11:20pm On Dec 17, 2017
Tnkx @ okikio

1 Like

Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by fagbohun4j(m): 1:16am On Dec 18, 2017
I've got a dog like that too. They behave that way when they've been over pampered while young. A short leash would do and whenever you are indoors with him/her, get a cane with you, take off the chain and scare him/her with the cane whenever he/she does something bad or refuses to obey your command. Keep doing this and don't hesitate to spank him/her when he/she does something wrong.

1 Like

Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Othello92(m): 5:05pm On Jan 13, 2018
Thanks bro, it did work
fagbohun4j:
I've got a dog like that too. They behave that way when they've been over pampered while young. A short leash would do and whenever you are indoors with him/her, get a cane with you, take off the chain and scare him/her with the cane whenever he/she does something bad or refuses to obey your command. Keep doing this and don't hesitate to spank him/her when he/she does something wrong.

1 Like

Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by divinest: 7:25pm On Jan 13, 2018
I had the same problem with my dog but watch did is for a hole week I did not take him for work I kept him in her cage for one week so... after Dat I took her for a work early in the morning were u see people going out for sports running it was a temptation but she maintain her self cuz I kept her close to me in case... I dunno if it going to work on ur dog but just try it...

1 Like

Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Othello92(m): 8:17pm On Jan 13, 2018
What dog breed is yours?
divinest:
I had the same problem with my dog but watch did is for a hole week I did not take him for work I kept him in her cage for one week so... after Dat I took her for a work early in the morning were u see people going out for sports running it was a temptation but she maintain her self cuz I kept her close to me in case... I dunno if it going to work on ur dog but just try it...
Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by divinest: 9:29pm On Jan 13, 2018
German shepherd..... exactly.

1 Like

Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Othello92(m): 10:45pm On Jan 13, 2018
divinest:
German shepherd..... exactly.
Your dog is so cute
Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Nobody: 2:11am On Jan 15, 2018
I have an issue with Zeus. Unlike his brothers he's the only one with crazy issues. If I lock him inside his cage and go out, he starts to scream and make unbearable noises. Also he is hyperactive and never sits one place. I didn't spare the rod while he was growing but he just didn't change so I gave up.
But among the 4 brothers he is the aggressive one and you don't dare come to their territory
He'd go on attack first.
Although sometimes it bothers me but I think it's his style
Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Othello92(m): 8:17pm On Jan 15, 2018
ZeusAthenaHades:
I have an issue with Zeus. Unlike his brothers he's the only one with crazy issues. If I lock him inside his cage and go out, he starts to scream and make unbearable noises. Also he is hyperactive and never sits one place. I didn't spare the rod while he was growing but he just didn't change so I gave up.
But among the 4 brothers he is the aggressive one and you don't dare come to their territory
He'd go on attack first.
Although sometimes it bothers me but I think it's his style
how old is your dog?
Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jan 16, 2018
Othello92:
how old is your dog?
3months
Re: My Dog Is Getting Out Of Hand. by Othello92(m): 11:04am On Jan 17, 2018
Lock it inside and leave it. Bring it out only when it's time to poo and don't play with it much.

(1) (Reply)

Purebred German Shepherd Puppy / Saved An Helpless Chick On The Main Express Road / Adult Female Caucasian Up For Grabs.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.