Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,278 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:29 AM

Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 (5484 Views)

GEJ Makes His First Public Outing Since Leaving Office (Photos) / Chatham House Apperance For Buhari Restricted To Twitter Session - GuardianNews / Atiku Makes The First Public Appearance At Buhari’s Campaign Rally (see Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by mezie4u(m): 10:22am On Apr 02, 2010
2011: IBB gives condition
From MOSHOOD ADEBAYO, Abeokuta
Friday, April 02, 2010
•Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

Former military president, General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida yesterday gave a condition for any Nigerian who wishes to mount the presidential saddle in 2011, saying such a person must see true federalism as a critical issue.

Babangida who spoke in Abeokuta, Ogun State capital during the 54th birthday of the state Governor, Otunba Gbenga Daniel said Nigeria as a nation had lived together for 50 years and the citizens should not look back.
The former president who was making his first public appearance in Abeokuta after the annulment of the historic June 12, 1993, presidential election said: “I believe that true federalism is the issue of this country. We have lived together for 50 years, there are a lot of things in Nigeria’s political system.

“We don’t have to make a distinction whether we run a parliamentary or presidential system or whether we call ourselves republic. Why can’t we look at Nigeria as a nation of 50 and try to know those things that create problems for us.?
“We don’t have to say government must do everything. Some of the best brains who are in Europe are Nigerians. So why can’t you use your brain thinking and brainstorm where the leadership should be able to provide.
‘’I believe that true federalism is the issue for this country. Many of us who are very close to 70 years are very proud that we are leaving Nigeria in safe hands. There are lots of things called settled issues in the country’s political system
“We don’t look back. Why clamouring whether we want to call ourselves republic and so on. Those are the issues that are settled.”

However, he expressed preference for federal system of government whereby the impact of governance could be easily felt by the people. His words: “I believe in small government than big government.”
While eulogising Daniel, Babangida said: “Daniel represents potential of the nation’s younger generation who truly has vision and sterling leadership qualities.” The former president told the gathering that he was attracted to Daniel based on the fact that he had domineering presence everywhere the governor goes.

‘’When he invited me for this occasion, I promised him that I will be here. My coming to Abeokuta is indeed homecoming, having been here 44 years ago. There is an established romance between me and OGD.
‘’I saw in him somebody that Adeniyi described as somebody that sees far beyond the present and I am glad I am proud of him.”

Rivers State Governor, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi who also spoke in the same vein lamented that the only Federal Government presence in the state was done during the military administration of Babangida.
“Nigeria is bereft of a productive economy. What we have is a government economy. And that is the fact that the rich want to be sure of who becomes the president or governor, because their existence depends on the condition of that government’s economy.”

He recalled how he got to power saying the grace of God and prayers saw him through.
The guest speaker at the ceremony, Dr. Don Kroah in his paper entitled: The Personalities, the Institutions and the Future of Democracy in Nigeria, noted that personality and the institution determine how exactly democracy will be practised.”

The founder and president of Reach Africa Now, while tracing Nigeria’s democratic experience since independence in 1960, submitted that the various personalities and institutions of the country had been deficient.
“Where the institutional roles and responsibilities as prescribed by any document such as the constitution are in line with the roles expected of the institution, but where wrong personalities are assigned to execute such roles, the consequence and effect are that the roles that the institutions are expected to perform are totally ignored,” he argued.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/apr/02/national-02-04-2010-001.htm
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by deliverus: 11:58am On Apr 02, 2010
I am not sure I still remember him, can anyone remind me of him?
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by fizzybaba(m): 11:59am On Apr 02, 2010
he is a thwart.

thats all i gotta say
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by walata44(m): 12:13pm On Apr 02, 2010
Evil genius is at it again. This man suppose to be irrelevant in Nigeria politics. I wonder why people still take him serious.
www.againstbabangida.com
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by Fraba(m): 12:16pm On Apr 02, 2010
I remember him, yes very clearly. He used to dance along side OBESERE or was it PASUMA?. grin
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by Nobody: 12:28pm On Apr 02, 2010
The hardships of Nigeria is his legacy, this should be a constant reminder of Ibrahim Babaginda IBB for Nigerians  angry

Before  he came into power the Niara was almost in parity to the pound sterling.

Before IBB, Average Nigerian's standard of living was so much higher then that most of us were able to travel to America and Europe just to go on vacation and for shopping trips.

We had a national airline before IBB.

Life expectancy was higher before IBB.

Most if not all Nigerians were entitled to free primary education before IBB.

IBB overthrew an anti-corruption and patriotic military leader who was trying to get rid of corruption.

IBB institutionalised corruption and he was in fact the man that created the term "419" .

Please Nigerian's if you doubt my words do a little research on the legacy of IBB

For the harm this man has done to our nation, he should be living out his life in jail, talk less of appearing in public to act as an elder statesman angry

This man together with his friend and partner in crime OBJ, has put us back at least 50years.

GenBuhari

deliver us:

I am not sure I still remember him, can anyone remind me of him?
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by mrkoma2012: 12:36pm On Apr 02, 2010
Bunch of rogues.Of what use has their leadership impacted on nigeria if not adversely
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by Redman44(m): 12:44pm On Apr 02, 2010
The evil genius is simply plotting his way back to Aso Rock. He has started saying the right things and hanging around with ''politrickcians'' who can assist him in getting back to political relevance. Our politicians know that Nigerians tend to forget things easily and do not forcefully ask for change sad sad That is why they keep recycling themselves in power.  Before we know it, IBB will warm himself into PDP and emerge as the party's flag bearer for the 2011 elections. It is all about money, mates. And IBB has loads of cash he stole from the National Treasury when he was in power from 1985-1993. Right before our eyes, our politicians are re-mortgaging Nigeria's future. IBB's candidacy is being sold to us in a subtle manner with good things being said about him daily in our newspapers and Magazines. Our leaders think we are fools and we have to prove them wrong. Enough is Enough.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by akwaowoudo(m): 12:49pm On Apr 02, 2010
Evil genuis! It reminds me of late Dele Giwa and he once said "any evil done by man to man must surely be redressed if not now then later; if not by man certainly by God". If the legal lion that had over 1,000 question for IBB ie. Gani Fawehimi was still alive he wouldn't have dared visited yoruba land. Many Gani's soul rest in peace, amen.
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by nduchucks: 1:10pm On Apr 02, 2010
While IBB is "hated" by most "educated" internet warriors, the truth of the matter is that, the man enjoys the support of a majority of the electorate (the voting public).  He is revered by voters from the North to the East, West to the South and is one of the few Nigerians who can win a free and fair election in a landslide victory.

Like him or hate him, IBB is uniquely qualified to take Nigeria to the "promised lands".  His ability to put the millitary and the "cabal under control is a big plus. 

IBB is saying the right things at the moment including, stating that fiscal federalism, state police and indeed a national conference are needed in nigeria.  He even enjoys the support of the USA and EU.

I believe if IBB decides to run for office in 2011, he may very well win, despite criticisms by internet warriors.
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by Nobody: 1:16pm On Apr 02, 2010
ndu_chucks,
How much is IBB paying you to come and write your nonsense? angry

You comments should be made in the jokes section angry
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by nduchucks: 1:23pm On Apr 02, 2010
GenBuhari:

ndu_chucks,
How much is IBB paying you to come and write your nonsense? angry

You comments should be made in the jokes section angry

Must one be paid to offer an opinion? I am not advocating anything but just stating the facts as I see it. What part of my write-up do you disagree with and why? I'm sure you have the intellectual capability to express your disagreements and offer counter points that one can learn from. olodo
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by sesman(m): 1:36pm On Apr 02, 2010
Do not trust that man!!! he is as corruput as they come, i think some nigerians suffer from complete or partial loss of memory because this man ruined Nigeria.

ndu_chucks:

While IBB is "hated" by most "educated" internet warriors, the truth of the matter is that, the man enjoys the support of a majority of the electorate (the voting public). He is revered by voters from the North to the East, West to the South and is one of the few Nigerians who can win a free and fair election in a landslide victory.

Like him or hate him, IBB is uniquely qualified to take Nigeria to the "promised lands". His ability to put the millitary and the "cabal under control is a big plus.

IBB is saying the right things at the moment including, stating that fiscal federalism, state police and indeed a national conference are needed in nigeria. He even enjoys the support of the USA and EU.

I believe if IBB decides to run for office in 2011, he may very well win, despite criticisms by internet warriors.

This same man who annuled the most free and fair election in Nigeria's history, how can this man take us to the promised land, this same man during his reign perpetuated one of the worst human right abuses and lots of unresolved political assassinations.

I would not and never belive anything this man says, he is simply evil
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by nduchucks: 1:40pm On Apr 02, 2010
sesman:

Do not trust that man!!! he is as corruput as they come, i think some nigerians suffer from complete or partial loss of memory because this man ruined Nigeria.

This same man who annuled the most free and fair election in Nigeria's history, how can this man take us to the promised land, this same man during his reign perpetuated one of the worst human right abuses and lots of unresolved political assassinations.

I would not and never belive anything this man says, he is simply evil

Your analysis would be improved if it is devoid of irrational emotionalisms.
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by Nobody: 1:46pm On Apr 02, 2010
May the blood of moshood abiola and all those that died for the hope 1993 dream hack this useless man to death.
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by rareman(m): 1:56pm On Apr 02, 2010
the truth is the wrong man saying the right thing at the wrong platform. i.e (wrong man) IBB (right thing) true federalism (wrong platform) OGD's birthday
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by sesman(m): 2:02pm On Apr 02, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Your analysis would be improved if it is devoid of irrational emotionalisms.

I have a right to say how i feel on matters,  and you also have a right to agree or disagree with me, but please lets not resort to personal insult.
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by olaolabiy: 2:10pm On Apr 02, 2010
rogues.twits.they will never change as they are were born to be evil these useless grumpy gits.idiots.
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by Dominoifet(m): 2:39pm On Apr 02, 2010
IBB is one strong reason why most pple clamor for a divided Nigeria. Everytin just became unbearable since he came in. Hatred for Northerners grew in the south. 419ers, cultist, occultism, Nigerias bad image etc cos of hardship which he fathered.
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by naijamini(m): 3:02pm On Apr 02, 2010
@ndu_chucks

Yes, IBB might win because of two things: 1) The confused populace; 2) Bootlickers who cannot make anything of themselves except by the grace of their tin god, IBB.  Please tell me one good thing IBB did for Nigeria. As for me here is my summary of his role in Nigerian politics:

1. He was a member of the Nigerian armed forces - a sacred profession to protect all, and to be loyal to the government of the people.
2. He participated in /conducted several coups - an act that in sane countries is met by the death penalty
3. When he saw his chance he made himself Head of State, and fancied himself some kind of tin god - declaring himself president.
4. Under his watch the statement of the day was "everyone has a price" - aka corruption became a way of life. Against the strict, though extreme, disciplinary approach of Idiagbon/Buhari, Babangida's regime stands in deep contrast.
5. Claimed to have spent $12 billion on ending the Liberian war. That same war had to be ended anew under OBJ and it did not cost $12 billion, even though it was a larger and longer operation.
6. Locked up Universities, one for 7 months. Fired the nations intellectual base.
7. Banning & unbanning politicians/parties he took Nigerians through a tortuous so-called transition program. He eventually was forced to conduct elections; Nigerians cooperated & did their part to produce the best election in Nigeria ever. IBB canceled it during the night, even though the rival to winner had conceded the election - another unheard action among Nigerian politicians.
8. He was forced to step down - thus killing his original intention to "transition" himself to life presidency. He is still sulking from that one.
9. Don't even get me started with the deceitful "home grown" SAP that allowed other countries to strip our educational institutions bare of valuable intellectuals and our hospitals of its doctors, while bringing inflation and lower quality of life to the populace. The same deceit was shown in taking the IMF loan.
10. Nor lets talk about how he executed those close to him under the rumor they were planning a coup -  his own master profession.

Give it to IBB, he has Nigeria's intelligence apparatus by the balls, and it won't come as a surprise to find he is in the pay of foreign powers.

IBB is smart, as in cunning. He is probably as smart as any general Nigeria has ever had, but beyond that he really has no clue. It is Xteristic of IBB to start some high-sounding, but meaningless, conversation.

Let him go on television and tell us what true Federalism means and explain how he is going to bring it to us. Moreover, why with all the powers of a maximum ruler and in his more youthful years he failed to bring it? Why is he going to be able to do it now that he is going into his 70s? Then watch him stammer into oblivion.

The man has no credibility - he is good at saying the right things, but if we learned any lesson from his years of misadventure it is that YOU CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT HE TELLS YOU. HE DOESN'T MEAN WHAT HE SAYS.

One of the classic description for IBB is the following: He is the referee in a footbal match, but one of the teams is actually his own. However, IBB will not stop at refereeing the match and cheating for his team. No, you will find him on the field one hour before the game kicking the ball into an empty net and recording the goals for his team. Then at playing time he would declare that the other team has withdrawn from the match even though they are standing, ready to play, on the pitch.

ndu_chucks:

While IBB is "hated" by most "educated" internet warriors, the truth of the matter is that, the man enjoys the support of a majority of the electorate (the voting public).  He is revered by voters from the North to the East, West to the South and is one of the few Nigerians who can win a free and fair election in a landslide victory.

Like him or hate him, IBB is uniquely qualified to take Nigeria to the "promised lands".  His ability to put the millitary and the "cabal under control is a big plus.  

IBB is saying the right things at the moment including, stating that fiscal federalism, state police and indeed a national conference are needed in nigeria.  He even enjoys the support of the USA and EU.

Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 02, 2010
[s][/s]
ndu_chucks:

While IBB is "hated" by most "educated" internet warriors, the truth of the matter is that, the man enjoys the support of a majority of the electorate (the voting public).  He is revered by voters from the North to the East, West to the South and is one of the few Nigerians who can win a free and fair election in a landslide victory.

Like him or hate him, IBB is uniquely qualified to take Nigeria to the "promised lands".  His ability to put the millitary and the "cabal under control is a big plus. 

IBB is saying the right things at the moment including, stating that fiscal federalism, state police and indeed a national conference are needed in nigeria.  He even enjoys the support of the USA and EU.

[s][/s]this is one of the most s t u p i d analysis i have seen on NL in recent times.you didnt say anything other than mudslinging of ibb critics and 'a s s-kissing' him at the same time.fyi
-you said ibb have the support of the west.can you please explain those in west that supported him since i cant speak for other regions?
-how is ibb 'uniquely qualified' to rule nigeria when he was the one that drove to the sorry state of her economy
-how do you think the father of '419' will make any different when he encourage corruption with his decree 419
-have you ever ask yourself why ibb was hated by 'internet warriors'
-how many military cabal was he able to pin down and why was he not able to pin abacha,his surbodinate
-how has he suddenly become a true democrat when he anulled a credible election
-how many electorate does ibb enjoy their support till date apart from you?
please kindly answer this question politely,please
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by naijamini(m): 3:10pm On Apr 02, 2010
And here is another one of IBB's "unifying", true Federalism actions for your enjoyment:

OIC membership
Babangida (unilaterally, without consultation with other bodies)upgraded Nigeria's role in the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC), from a mere observer status to full-fledged membership. After public outcry and denial by Babangida, the John Shagaya panel was instituted to determine Nigeria's status in the OIC, subsequently confirming membership and making a recommendation for withdrawal from the body.
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by Nobody: 3:19pm On Apr 02, 2010
naijamini:

And here is another one of IBB's "unifying", true Federalism actions for your enjoyment:

i dont know any senseless demcrat that will support ibb save for those that dont know him too well.MARADONA of nigeria
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by nduchucks: 4:11pm On Apr 02, 2010
~Bluetooth:

[/s][s]this is one of the most s t u p i d analysis i have seen on NL in recent times.you didnt say anything other than mudslinging of ibb critics and 'a s s-kissing' him at the same time.fyi
-you said ibb have the support of the west.can you please explain those in west that supported him since i cant speak for other regions?
-how is ibb 'uniquely qualified' to rule nigeria when he was the one that drove to the sorry state of her economy
-how do you think the father of '419' will make any different when he encourage corruption with his decree 419
-have you ever ask yourself why ibb was hated by 'internet warriors'
-how many military cabal was he able to pin down and why was he not able to pin abacha,his surbodinate
-how has he suddenly become a true democrat when he anulled a credible election
-how many electorate does ibb enjoy their support till date apart from you?
please kindly answer this question politely,please

Bluetooth, you write that my opinion is one of the "most s t u p i d analysis i have seen on NL in recent times", yet you ask me to kindly answer your questions politely.

Well, I will answer your questions only after you apologize for your own impoliteness.
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by Nobody: 4:17pm On Apr 02, 2010
Done it.i'm sorry
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by nduchucks: 4:32pm On Apr 02, 2010
@ ~Bluetooth, didn't know you were a cool dude.

For one thing, we know that the US sent emmissaries to Minna, when high level officials visited Nigeria. That to me is a show of some sort of support. It has also been reported that the US and UK are conducting surveys on behalf of IBB.

how is ibb 'uniquely qualified' to rule nigeria when he was the one that drove to the sorry state of her economy

I believe the man has learnt from his past errors and he has nothing to gain at this point but a great legacy for himself. He can put the millitary in check in this civilian dispensation. Note that I am not in any way saying that I support IBB's candidacy.

how has he suddenly become a true democrat when he anulled a credible election

We no longer have millitary rule in Nigeria, he has to become a "democrat" to participate despite the annulment history. People like you and I are the ones that need to respect the principles of democracy enough to allow every constitutionally eligible candidate to participate in the process. We show our disapproval through our votes. I don't know whether you live in Nigeria, but I can tell you that the man enjoys the support of the electorate nation-wide.

Time will tell whether he will contest, I like his new found views on federalism e.t.c. Let's hope other potential candidates will come up with similar or better ideas.
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by akigbemaru: 4:52pm On Apr 02, 2010
IBB, not this time to use SW at your political platform.
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by hackney(m): 5:31pm On Apr 02, 2010
Nd chuks, gullible people like you are why the country is in such a bad state.
i cannot believe that a nigerian over 12 yrs old will have anything positive to say about IBB.

Here is a man that made away with 55% of the national revenue of 8yrs under the guise
of PTF.
You must be joking mate.

A man that has over 8billion of almost every western currency.
That man pushed the GREED boundary and demonstrated that no amount is too much.

419'ers flourished like devil weed in his time and he opened people's eyes to corruption levels
that shock other countries till date.

To show you how widespread his evil was, before he came on the scene there wasnt this much
get-rich-at-all-cost mentality that had infested the naija psyche from new borns to the elderly.

The question is: why isnt he in jail revealing where all the embezzled money is?
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by Nneomaj(f): 5:33pm On Apr 02, 2010
I'm sick and tired of these old folks parading themselves up and down. Cant we have some1 dat belongs to this generation as president? IBB and his cohorts shud go and rest jo.
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by nduchucks: 5:38pm On Apr 02, 2010
hackney:

Nd chuks, gullible people like you are why the country is in such a bad state.
i cannot believe that a nigerian over 12 yrs old will have anything positive to say about IBB.

Here is a man that made away with 55% of the national revenue of 8yrs under the guise
of PTF.
You must be joking mate.

A man that has over 8billion of almost every western currency.
That man pushed the GREED boundary and demonstrated that no amount is too much.

419'ers flourished like devil weed in his time and he opened people's eyes to corruption levels
that shock other countries till date.

To show you how widespread his evil was, before he came on the scene there wasnt this much
get-rich-at-all-cost mentality that had infested the naija psyche from new borns to the elderly.

The question is: why isnt he in jail revealing where all the embezzled money is?

Nothing you've written has changed the realities on ground unfortunately. I stand my by analysis.
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by hackney(m): 5:44pm On Apr 02, 2010
Or maybe there's something in it for you; afterall we are nigerians.
People wan put sand for your garri abi?

I remember a friend in school that helped organise the 1 million march for abacha even thogh he
thought abacha was the worst leader ever.
He was so paid afterwards.

naija sha ; circular never ending motion.
Re: Ibb First Public Apperance Since 1993 by Nneomaj(f): 5:45pm On Apr 02, 2010
Ndu chucks,u amaze me. As u can see,u r on ur own. Back then in school,my lecturer used to say that,IBB injected corruption into d system of every Nigerian both born and unborn. If u really know this man,u wudnt want him to near d presidency or even any position. Ndu chucks,retrace ur steps. I know u love country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Approves 40 Firms For Q3 Petrol Importation / Breaking News: Court Orders Saraki's Arrest - September 2015 / Kaduna: PDP Wins All The LGA - See Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.