Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,050 members, 7,814,605 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Apple Might Be Slowing Down Old Iphones To Preserve Battery Life - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Apple Might Be Slowing Down Old Iphones To Preserve Battery Life (415 Views)

How Apple Might Likely Change The PC Industry. / Apple Found Guilty Of Slowing Down Old Iphones Forcing Customer To Buy New Ones / Apple Fined For Slowing Down Old Iphones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Apple Might Be Slowing Down Old Iphones To Preserve Battery Life by techtip(m): 3:16pm On Dec 20, 2017
Reddit users have noticed that Apple appears to be slowing down old iPhones that have low capacity batteries. While many iPhone users have experienced perceived slowdowns due to iOS updates over the years, it appears that there’s now proof Apple is throttling processor speeds when a battery capacity deteriorates over time.

Geekbench developer John Poole has mapped out performance for the iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 over time, and has come to the conclusion that Apple’s iOS 10.2.1 and 11.2.0 updates introduce this throttling for different devices. iOS 10.2.1 is particularly relevant, as this update was designed to reduce random shutdown issues for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S. Apple’s fix appears to be throttling the CPU to prevent the phone from randomly shutting down. Geekbench reports that iOS 11.2.0 introduces similar throttling for low iPhone 7 low capacity batteries.
Some Reddit users report that replacing their batteries has returned performance and CPU clock speeds back to normal. The reports are particularly troubling because any perceived slowdowns by iPhone users might tempt owners to upgrade their entire device instead of replace the battery. “This fix will also cause users to think, ‘my phone is slow so I should replace it’ not, ‘my phone is slow so I should replace its battery,’” says Geekbench’s John Poole.
cc lalasticlala
cc seun
cc ishilove
Read more and also see tweet: Apple might be slowing down old iPhones to preserve battery life

(1) (Reply)

You Can Now Make Video Calls With Instagram [see How]. / NTEL Emerges Telecom Company Of The Year / Used Iphone 7 Plus Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.