Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,418 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 (64932 Views)

Manchester City Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 0) On 9th November 2022 / Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea : EFL Cup (0 - 1) On 12th January 2022 / Manchester United Vs Liverpool (3 - 2) On 24th January 2021 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 12:52pm On Jan 25, 2018
hermesprogidy:
Rather interesting exchange @omonnakoda and @bushwickbill. Clearly you both are very intelligent and passionate football fans. Allow me to wade in.
- is Arsenal a big club? It depends on context. If you go by their local and international fan base, revenue, and history. Yes they are a big club. They may not have won a champions league, but they are still considered a big club, both locally and internationally.

- Should Arsenal be content with winning just local cup competitions? No they shouldn't. They should be gunning for the league and European cups. They are a big club.
- Who is to blame for the club's present predicament? First, the Arsenal Board, then closely followed by Arsene Wenger himself. They both lack ambition and are only interested in profits. Throw in the fact that Wenger personally detests the fact that footballers earn so much money coupled with a frugal board, is a recipe for under-achievement in today's football arena.

Thank you sir.

This was my original summation when folks steeped in mediocrity are praising Wenger for getting to the final of a third rate competition.

I say no more. I'm glad someone sees my point here.
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by Odani: 12:56pm On Jan 25, 2018
osazsky:
I don't know y I guys are tuning from CTL dey show all games and its cheaper,7950 naira for 3 months

Pls wats CTL
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by theDEVILisHERE: 1:25pm On Jan 25, 2018
BushWickBill:

Oga STFU.
It doesn't negate the fact that Arsenal should be doing more.
If Toyota starts to operate like Innoson, does it remove the fact that they should be doing better?

Only a Fool tells some one to "STFU" on cyber space when he doesn't have the power to make that happen

Everyone on this thread can now look at your posts any time they are confused on what stupidity looks like

Time for reasonable folks to leave the stage so you can display your skills, Stupidity.
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by omonnakoda: 1:47pm On Jan 25, 2018
hermesprogidy:
Rather interesting exchange @omonnakoda and @bushwickbill. Clearly you both are very intelligent and passionate football fans. Allow me to wade in.
- is Arsenal a big club? It depends on context. If you go by their local and international fan base, revenue, and history. Yes they are a big club. They may not have won a champions league, but they are still considered a big club, both locally and internationally.

- Should Arsenal be content with winning just local cup competitions? No they shouldn't. They should be gunning for the league and European cups. They are a big club.
- Who is to blame for the club's present predicament? First, the Arsenal Board, then closely followed by Arsene Wenger himself. They both lack ambition and are only interested in profits. Throw in the fact that Wenger personally detests the fact that footballers earn so much money coupled with a frugal board, is a recipe for under-achievement in today's football arena.
i see your point and I respect it but where i disagree is with the Arsene Wenger thing

I think Arsene Wenger is irrelevant . Let me explain .

When we think of truly big clubs in history over generations
Real Madrid,
AC Milan
Liverpool
Barcelona
Juventus
Bayern and
Manchester United

Who remembers their Managers

The only outstanding one is Manchester United and if you remove the trophies won by Alex Ferguson you cannot claim Man U are a big club by any measure

With all the others it does not matter who the manager is that is what defines bigness.
The club simply has a tradition of winning and ambition going back for decades to be defined as "BIG"
of course in 20 30 40 years time the big clubs would be defined by what is happening now and so Man City and Chelsea may be come "big"
Every time Liverpool have been forced to sell key players they make a statement that reinforces their standing and respect unlike Arsenal that sell their best players cheaply to competitors

But I am quite clear in my mind that Arsenal are "NEARLY" big those clubs in that list above are the only big clubs in my book for now.
Bigness is defined by the pond

Is Nigeria a big country( I don't mean football) it depends on the pond. In Africa yes in the world? Hmm

Arsenal are a big club in England but in Europe they are TIER 2 .

If there was a super league of European clubs Arsenal would be in the league but if they won it it would be a surprise just like Leicester winning the Premiership

So whether a club is big or small is not set in stone there is no FIFA definition of what is big or not .

You have your definition and I have no interest in changing your mind .I have mine and am not changing my mind once we understand that then really there is nothing to argue about

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by hermesprogidy(m): 1:58pm On Jan 25, 2018
BushWickBill:

Thank you sir.

This was my original summation when folks steeped in mediocrity are praising Wenger for getting to the final of a third rate competition.

I say no more. I'm glad someone sees my point here.

Hmmmm... Your view point is very valid, but if you consider the increasing number of clubs that can afford quality players (especially in England)and the highly competitive nature of the game these days, then it is only fair you view things from another window and commend Arsenal, if they win the Carabo Cup.

Take Manchester United for instance, 10-12 years ago, they would not have considered winning the Carabo cup (Then Carling Cup) a significant achievement. Fast forward to 2017, and Mourinho is counting the Community Shield as a trophy!!! undecided embarrassing (I am a Manu fan) but desperate times require desperate measures. grin

But point taken, big clubs should have big ambitions.
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 2:14pm On Jan 25, 2018
hermesprogidy:

Hmmmm... Your view point is very valid, but if you consider the increasing number of clubs that can afford quality players (especially in England)and the highly competitive nature of the game these days, then it is only fair you view things from another window and commend Arsenal, if they win the Carabo Cup.

Take Manchester United for instance, 10-12 years ago, they would not have considered winning the Carabo cup (Then Carling Cup) a significant achievement. Fast forward to 2017, and Mourinho is counting the Community Shield as a trophy!!! undecided embarrassing (I am a Manu fan) but desperate times require desperate measures. grin

But point taken, big clubs should have big ambitions.

Thanks boss. Much appreciated. A trophy is a trophy, in all honesty. But I think different kinds of clubs attach different grades of importance to competitions.
Definitely, from a perspective of Arsenal being in a difficult if not downward spiral, winning the League Cup is an achievement, but thinking that a decade ago the club just came off a finals appearance in the UCL final, it's actually not really a big deal.

Point noted.
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 2:18pm On Jan 25, 2018
theDEVILisHERE:

Only a Fool tells some one to "STFU" on cyber space when he doesn't have the power to make that happen

Everyone on this thread can now look at your posts any time they are confused on what stupidity looks like

Time for reasonable folks to leave the stage so you can display your skills, Stupidity.

Eyah.

It was only a simple request to STFU and you still need to STFU

Inane insults don't mask your inability to add any value to the discussion.

Just take a little time to read through before jumping into a conversation you know nothing about. If your best retort is to tell me to ask the Arsenal board whatsoever, then you really should STFU.

STFU once more for good measure. Thank you for complying
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by hermesprogidy(m): 2:30pm On Jan 25, 2018
omonnakoda:

i see your point and I respect it but where i disagree is with the Arsene Wenger thing

I think Arsene Wenger is irrelevant . Let me explain .

When we think of truly big clubs in history over generations
Real Madrid,
AC Milan
Liverpool
Barcelona
Juventus
Bayern and
Manchester United

Who remembers their Managers

The only outstanding one is Manchester United and if you remove the trophies won by Alex Ferguson you cannot claim Man U are a big club by any measure

With all the others it does not matter who the manager is that is what defines bigness.
The club simply has a tradition of winning and ambition going back for decades to be defined as "BIG"
of course in 20 30 40 years time the big clubs would be defined by what is happening now and so Man City and Chelsea may be come "big"
Every time Liverpool have been forced to sell key players they make a statement that reinforces their standing and respect unlike Arsenal that sell their best players cheaply to competitors

But I am quite clear in my mind that Arsenal are "NEARLY" big those clubs in that list above are the only big clubs in my book for now.
Bigness is defined by the pond

Is Nigeria a big country( I don't mean football) it depends on the pond. In Africa yes in the world? Hmm

Arsenal are a big club in England but in Europe they are TIER 2 .

If there was a super league of European clubs Arsenal would be in the league but if they won it it would be a surprise just like Leicester winning the Premiership

So whether a club is big or small is not set in stone there is no FIFA definition of what is big or not .

You have your definition and I have no interest in changing your mind .I have mine and am not changing my mind once we understand that then really there is nothing to argue about

Very valid points Amigo, like you said there are no set definitions for what makes a big club, hence our assertions will always be subjective. So, I choose to see Arsenal as a big club, you see them as tier 2, fine!. You are right, and guess what? am right too grin grin But let me draw you to the comment you made about coaches and the reason why I maintain that Wenger is part of the problem at Arsenal.

It is the responsibility of coaches to build teams, sustain philosophies and dynasties. Who remembers coaches? probably not everyone, but true fans never forget the exceptional coaches that plied their trade with them. Sir Alex Ferguson may be the most celebrated coach in Manu history till date, but fans will never forget Sir Matt Busby. He fostered the youth and academy system Manu is known for; introduced the blinding attacking style of football the club came to be associated with (when the Italian Cautennacio style of play was the in-thing) and above all paved the way for Manchester United as a global brand by winning the Champions league (first in England) and English league, despite loosing 8 of his first team players in the Munich air disaster.

In other words, he built the foundation for the likes of Alex Ferguson. You can never have a great/big club, if you don't have a great manager. That is where I blame Wenger. If the Board is not matching your ambition, then take a walk. The likes of Mourinho, Guardiola, or even Klopp will not stay at Arsenal.

My guess is that in 200 years from now, people would probably have forgotten about Alex Ferguson or any other phenomenal coaches we have today, but you cannot deny their contribution to the greatness of their respective clubs.

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by theDEVILisHERE: 3:23pm On Jan 25, 2018
BushWickBill:

Eyah.

It was only a simple request to STFU and you still need to STFU

Inane insults don't mask your inability to add any value to the discussion.

Just take a little time to read through before jumping into a conversation you know nothing about. If your best retort is to tell me to ask the Arsenal board whatsoever, then you really should STFU.

STFU once more for good measure. Thank you for complying

"a Simple request" + "STFU"
when your done requesting for what you cannot get from me, you can also go to North london and give them their own request

The only value I can add to an idiot is to let him know that he is one

like i said the stage is yours
This is the internet
A lot of idiots perform on this stage
Don't be left out
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by omonnakoda: 8:04pm On Jan 25, 2018
hermesprogidy:

Very valid points Amigo, like you said there are no set definitions for what makes a big club, hence our assertions will always be subjective. So, I choose to see Arsenal as a big club, you see them as tier 2, fine!. You are right, and guess what? am right too grin grin But let me draw you to the comment you made about coaches and the reason why I maintain that Wenger is part of the problem at Arsenal.

It is the responsibility of coaches to build teams, sustain philosophies and dynasties. Who remembers coaches? probably not everyone, but true fans never forget the exceptional coaches that plied their trade with them. Sir Alex Ferguson may be the most celebrated coach in Manu history till date, but fans will never forget Sir Matt Busby. He fostered the youth and academy system Manu is known for; introduced the blinding attacking style of football the club came to be associated with (when the Italian Cautennacio style of play was the in-thing) and above all paved the way for Manchester United as a global brand by winning the Champions league (first in England) and English league, despite loosing 8 of his first team players in the Munich air disaster.

In other words, he built the foundation for the likes of Alex Ferguson. You can never have a great/big club, if you don't have a great manager. That is where I blame Wenger. If the Board is not matching your ambition, then take a walk. The likes of Mourinho, Guardiola, or even Klopp will not stay at Arsenal.

My guess is that in 200 years from now, people would probably have forgotten about Alex Ferguson or any other phenomenal coaches we have today, but you cannot deny their contribution to the greatness of their respective clubs.
I do not agree that is the responsibility of coaches at all. It is the owner who creates a job description.
Real Madrid do not follow that model. The European model is very different from the model that existed at Manchester United under Ferguson where he decided who to buy or sell
Some clubs have a coach merely as trainer with no say on transfers whereas others use a different model.
Just like some wives cook in some families while others have cooks.
When Shevchenko came to Chelsea the coach had little say, ditto for Torres.
So I am afraid I think your formulation of the role of a coach is too general and unrealistic
Arsene Wenger has had a lot more power at Arsenal that any coach at Man City recently. Who do I blame for that,him?

No way
He should have been sacked a long time ago

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by xamuelmax(m): 12:34am On Jan 26, 2018
[s]
handsomeyinka:
Just reverse your score line to stand a chance to win free Olosho.
[/s]
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by DAMIDEZ12(m): 2:19am On Jan 26, 2018
Video: Barcelona vs Espanyol 2-0 – Highlights & Goals – 25 January 2018 (Copa Del Rey)

Watch Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgpRsIAFQIQ

Source: https://proudlyloaded.com/video-highlights/video-barcelona-vs-espanyol-2-0-highlights-goals-25-january-2018-copa-del-rey/
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by Smooyis(m): 5:47am On Jan 26, 2018
Arsenal always beating Chelsea these days. What's going on shocked
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea EFL Cup (2 - 1) On 24th January 2018 by BushWickBill: 2:25am On Feb 11, 2018
Arsenal is not abig club.
But they've spent £56 million on just one player.
Add to the £52 million they spent on another at the start of this season.
They have convinced Özil to sign a contract worth £300,000 a week.

But one unruly lout says they are a "small club".

Truly I shouldn't have bothered wrestling in the mud with a pig. It will get dirty and enjoy it because it is in its nature to be dirty.

As for the inane cretïn calling people idïots, we're still waiting for something sensible to be said by it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Manchester United Fan Thread: Forever Reds / Real Madrid Vs Bayern Munich : UCL (2 - 2) On 1st May 2018 / Liverpool Vs Roma: UCL (5 - 2) On 24th April 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.