Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,794 members, 7,827,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

How To Deal With Baby Blues Or Postpartum Depression After A C-section - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Deal With Baby Blues Or Postpartum Depression After A C-section (449 Views)

Natural Birth Or C-Section For Twins? / Lady Accuses Hospitals Of Turning C-section To A Profit Making Venture / Pregnant Woman Dies After Her Pastor Told Her Not To Go For C-Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Deal With Baby Blues Or Postpartum Depression After A C-section by gechyy2(f): 7:58am On Dec 21, 2017
“Oge I want to discuss something with you.” Christie a bosom friend said to me. “what’s that” I asked. “I feel so sad, overwhelmed, I feel like an emotional wreck right now, I still feel sore and so guilty like I would have tried other options instead of a C-Section, I want to be left alone, I actually feel like running away from everything”. Those where the words of a New Mom, Christie, who was at that instant breastfeeding her bundle of joy. Are you a New mom reading this? Do you feel the same way Christie did? If your answer is Yes then you are not alone, you should know how to deal with Baby Blues or postpartum depression when it comes, because you are most likely to experience it – you just had a major abdominal surgery.

I felt the same way Christie did when I had my third child, I had a rather traumatic child birth, I had a spinal headache after my C-section, while I watched other mothers up and about, I just couldn’t, because I’ll have to hold my head to walk, my depressed mood started at the hospital and continued after discharge.

It’s actually normal to have a mixed feeling- Joy and sadness, worry, anxiety, feeling tearful at any instant – it’s ok if you feel that way, Hormonal changes play a role, According to research published on National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI)-Research, a drop in hormones after birth can lead to depression. Baby Blues clears up in few days to a week but if it lingers for two or more weeks then you are having post-partum depression. On maternal mental health World Health Organization (WHO) says that 13 percent of women suffer Depression after birth worldwide. Post-Partum depression is real you just haven’t identified yours to be one. Now let me help you identify Baby Blues or postpartum depression if you’ve just had a C-section.

How to identify Baby Blues or postpartum Depression after a C-section

Going through a C-Section is not a walk in the park, the experience has its own emotions and that is already a risk factor for Baby Blues or Postpartum depression. The pain, healing process, sleepless nights can make Baby Blues worse and may lead to postpartum depression. I’ll say Baby Blues is a milder form of postpartum depression. Some New moms don’t actually understand what they are going through, while some moms don’t experience it, some others do and yet don’t identify it as what it is, they just don’t understand what’s happening to them.

Baby Blues
Are you feeling Baby Blues? Go through this checklist to be sure.
• You feel like crying all the time
• You feel sad, angry, irritable, empty, overwhelmed, depressed
• Disconnect from your loved ones especially your spouse for no reason
• Symptoms clears up few days to a week after birth

Post-Partum Depression
Have your feelings taken a better part of you? Go through this list
• You feel like crying all the time
• You feel sad, guilt, irritable, angry, overwhelmed, empty
• Anxiety, worry, sleeplessness, disconnect from baby and spouse
• Feel life’s not fair to you
• Feel suicidal
• Symptoms last more than two weeks

Baby Blues can be managed on your own and would easily ease away but you’ll need professional help if you are having postpartum depression, it’s really nothing to be embarrassed about, if you need help get one. These coping strategies below will help you get a grip of yourself in the shortest time possible, and bring you back to bond with your family and the new born

How to Deal with Baby Blues and Postpartum Depression after a C-section: Coping strategies...

You can Read the full article-http://www.womanlycare.com/how-to-deal-with-baby-blues-or-postpartum-depression-after-a-c-section/

Did you feel depressed at any time after birth? share your experience...

(1) (Reply)

Harvard Reveals Biggest Secret To Success And Happiness After 79 Years Of Study / Scientists Get Closer To Replicating Human Sperm / We Need Your Advice Nlers! (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.