Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,685 members, 7,813,274 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet (8544 Views)

Can We Search For a Wife/husband Via The Internet? / Kinds Of Tawassul (ways of seeking To Draw Close To Allah) / Ways Of Burying The Dead Ones, How Islam Stands Out? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by Lukgaf(m): 8:23am On Dec 22, 2017
Question:

I am a young man who is, unfortunately, tempted by satellite channels and internet sites to such a degree that I have fallen far short in religious matters. I hope that you can help me and pray for me to be guided. May Allaah reward you.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah, and blessings and peace be upon the Messenger of Allaah.
We ask Allaah to guide you, and to ward off evil and immorality from you, and to make you one of His sincerely-devoted slaves. For Allaah may delay but He never forgets. How can you be sure that when Allaah sees you committing this sin, He is not going to say, “By My Glory and Majesty, I will not forgive you”?

Look at these physical faculties with which you are committing sin. Do you not see that Allaah is able to deprive you of their blessings and to cause you the pain of losing them?

Then look at how Allaah has concealed you (your sin) and has been patient and forbearing with you. You know about His protective jealousy over His slaves, so how can you be sure that He will not become angry with you and expose your affairs, so that people will come to know your secrets and you will suffer scandal in this world before the Hereafter?

Will you get anything from haraam (unlawful) looks apart from grief, misery and darkness in the heart?

Even if you feel some pleasure for a day or two, or for a month or a year… what will come after that?

Death… then the grave… then the Reckoning… then torment, when all pleasure will vanish and only sorrow will remain.

If you feel ashamed to let your brother see you committing this sin, then how can you think of Allaah as the least important of those who watch you?

Do you not know that Allaah can see you, and that His angels are recording your deeds, and that tomorrow (i.e., on the Day of Resurrection) your own limbs will speak of what used to happen?

Think about what will become of you after you sin: worry and distress in the heart, alienation between you and Allaah, loss of humility… you give up praying at night (qiyaam al-layl)… you forsake fasting… Tell me, by your Lord, what is this life worth?

Every time you look at these devilish screens, a black spot appears on your heart, until it is covered with layers of blackness, then by the raan (stain) which overwhelms the heart, and deprives you of the pleasure of obeying Allaah and of the sweetness of faith.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When a slave commits a sin, a black spot appears on his heart. But if he give it up, seeks forgiveness and repents, his heart will be cleansed, but if he repeats it, (the blackness) will increase until it overwhelms his heart. This is the raan which Allaah mentions: ‘Nay! But on their hearts is the Raan (covering of sins and evil deeds) which they used to earn’ [al-Mutaffifeen 83:14 – interpretation of the meaning].”

(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3257; Ibn Maajah, 4234; classed as hasan (sound) by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah, 3422).

So be among those who give up sin, seek forgiveness and repent. Beseech Allaah frequently to purify your heart and protect your chastity, and to grant you refuge from the traps of the Shaytaan.

Avoid everything that may call you to haraam things or remind you of them, if you are sincere and really want to repent.

Hasten to get this (satellite) dish out of your house, and cut your connection to these bad sites on the internet. Note that the best means of helping yourself give up the haraam things that you have gotten used to is to nip it in the bud, and ward off every thought of looking that crosses your mind, before it becomes a desire, wish or intention, and then an action.

Al-Ghazzaali (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “If the first inward thought is not warded off, it will generate a desire, then the desire will generate a wish, and the wish will generate an intention, and the intention will generate the action, and the action will result in ruin and divine wrath. So evil must be cut off at its root, which is when it is simply a thought that crosses the mind, from which all the other things follow on.” (Ihyaa’ ‘Uloom al-Deen, 6/17).

This is based on the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Follow not the footsteps of Shaytaan (Satan). And whosoever follows the footsteps of Shaytaan (Satan), then, verily, he commands Al-Fahsha’ [i.e. to commit indecency (illegal sexual intercourse)], and Al-Munkar [disbelief and polytheism (i.e. to do evil and wicked deeds; and to speak or to do what is forbidden in Islam)]”

[al-Noor 24:21]

If you can do without the Internet altogether, then go ahead and do that, until you feel that your heart and your faith are stronger.

Strive to find righteous friends, strive to perform all the prayers on time, and do a lot of naafil (voluntary) acts of worship. Avoid being alone and thinking about haraam things as much as possible.

Sincerity in seeking treatment opens the door to good, and closes the door to evil.

We ask Allaah to enable us and you to repent sincerely.

And Allaah knows best

https://islamqa.info/en/26985

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:52am On Dec 22, 2017
Aamin Bro, the fitnah from TV, internet, etc is enormous! We pray Allah forgive us our misdeeds and grant us His mercy. Aamin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by error4040: 10:25am On Dec 22, 2017
op thanks... jumu'at Kareem

1 Like

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by khattab008: 10:30am On Dec 22, 2017
Jazakallahu Khairan.
Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by Trumps: 10:39am On Dec 22, 2017
Lukgaf:
Question:

I am a young man who is, unfortunately, tempted by satellite channels and internet sites to such a degree that I have fallen far short in religious matters. I hope that you can help me and pray for me to be guided. May Allaah reward you.

Answer:

We ask Allaah to guide you, and to ward off evil and immorality from you, and to make you one of His sincerely-devoted slaves. For Allaah may delay but He never forgets. How can you be sure that when Allaah sees you committing this sin, He is not going to say, “By My Glory and Majesty, I will not forgive you”?

Look at these physical faculties with which you are committing sin. Do you not see that Allaah is able to deprive you of their blessings and to cause you the pain of losing them?

Then look at how Allaah has concealed you (your sin) and has been patient and forbearing with you. You know about His protective jealousy over His slaves, so how can you be sure that He will not become angry with you and expose your affairs, so that people will come to know your secrets and you will suffer scandal in this world before the Hereafter?

Will you get anything from haraam (unlawful) looks apart from grief, misery and darkness in the heart?

Even if you feel some pleasure for a day or two, or for a month or a year… what will come after that?

Death… then the grave… then the Reckoning… then torment, when all pleasure will vanish and only sorrow will remain.

If you feel ashamed to let your brother see you committing this sin, then how can you think of Allaah as the least important of those who watch you?

Do you not know that Allaah can see you, and that His angels are recording your deeds, and that tomorrow (i.e., on the Day of Resurrection) your own limbs will speak of what used to happen?

Think about what will become of you after you sin: worry and distress in the heart, alienation between you and Allaah, loss of humility… you give up praying at night (qiyaam al-layl)… you forsake fasting… Tell me, by your Lord, what is this life worth?

Every time you look at these devilish screens, a black spot appears on your heart, until it is covered with layers of blackness, then by the raan (stain) which overwhelms the heart, and deprives you of the pleasure of obeying Allaah and of the sweetness of faith.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When a slave commits a sin, a black spot appears on his heart. But if he give it up, seeks forgiveness and repents, his heart will be cleansed, but if he repeats it, (the blackness) will increase until it overwhelms his heart. This is the raan which Allaah mentions: ‘Nay! But on their hearts is the Raan (covering of sins and evil deeds) which they used to earn’ [al-Mutaffifeen 83:14 – interpretation of the meaning].”

(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3257; Ibn Maajah, 4234; classed as hasan (sound) by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah, 3422).

So be among those who give up sin, seek forgiveness and repent. Beseech Allaah frequently to purify your heart and protect your chastity, and to grant you refuge from the traps of the Shaytaan.

Avoid everything that may call you to haraam things or remind you of them, if you are sincere and really want to repent.

Hasten to get this (satellite) dish out of your house, and cut your connection to these bad sites on the internet. Note that the best means of helping yourself give up the haraam things that you have gotten used to is to nip it in the bud, and ward off every thought of looking that crosses your mind, before it becomes a desire, wish or intention, and then an action.

Al-Ghazzaali (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “If the first inward thought is not warded off, it will generate a desire, then the desire will generate a wish, and the wish will generate an intention, and the intention will generate the action, and the action will result in ruin and divine wrath. So evil must be cut off at its root, which is when it is simply a thought that crosses the mind, from which all the other things follow on.” (Ihyaa’ ‘Uloom al-Deen, 6/17).

“O you who believe! Follow not the footsteps of Shaytaan (Satan). And whosoever follows the footsteps of Shaytaan (Satan), then, verily, he commands Al-Fahsha’ [i.e. to commit indecency (illegal sexual intercourse)], and Al-Munkar [disbelief and polytheism (i.e. to do evil and wicked deeds; and to speak or to do what is forbidden in Islam)]”

If you can do without the Internet altogether, then go ahead and do that, until you feel that your heart and your faith are stronger.

Strive to find righteous friends, strive to perform all the prayers on time, and do a lot of naafil (voluntary) acts of worship. Avoid being alone and thinking about haraam things as much as possible.

Sincerity in seeking treatment opens the door to good, and closes the door to evil.

And Allaah knows best

Aamin thumma Aamin jazakallahu khairan.

1 Like

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by Olawalesadiq(m): 10:47am On Dec 22, 2017
Masha Allah

1 Like

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by lazborn(m): 10:52am On Dec 22, 2017
Jazakallahu khary,may Allah preserve us on d right path

1 Like

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by Afolak(m): 10:57am On Dec 22, 2017
Lukgaf:
Question:

Answer:

And Allaah knows best

Aameen,Jazakallahu khayran.

1 Like

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by Olawalesadiq(m): 10:59am On Dec 22, 2017
MostBanned:
"I believe that there no god/God but Allah."
"I believe that Muhammad is the originator of Terrorism."
"I believe that Islam is the Only True Religion of Terrorists."
"lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, muhammadun rasūlu-llāh."
you must be very stupid. NL suppose to ban you because you only wanna create problem in this peaceful thread.. No be by force to comment, Idiot fool, see him head like water melon

1 Like

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by Poddy(m): 11:02am On Dec 22, 2017
Shaking my head....
Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by Blazing8(m): 11:20am On Dec 22, 2017
Thank God for Jesus, that does not condemn a man.....

2 Likes

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by jamexborn(m): 11:23am On Dec 22, 2017
I sincerely feel sorry and sad for you all unbelievers, who believe god was born on the 25th of December by a human being.....some people will never see what is right in front of them

2 Likes

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by rxmusa(m): 12:01pm On Dec 22, 2017
Jazakallahu khairan
Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by Abdulmujeeb52(m): 12:41pm On Dec 22, 2017
IditaBoy:

At the emboldened:

1. Violence is ingrained in Islam and Muslims. How are you any different from the Hausa, ISIS, AlQaeda and a whole lot of others who kill at the slightest dissenting opinion. I am sure if you had a means to attack me physically right now, you would because your allah directs you to use violence as the quickest means of response to anything.

2. You don't even know me cheesy

3. Forever broke? You're obviously in your 20s but mentally/emotionally a child on the inside.

4. If you're a Yoruba then it is a disgrace to call the ways of your ancestors that was in existence before muhammed's parents had sex or thought of birthing him; the same way that brought and still brings Yoruba admiration world over is what you refer to has as the wrong path indirectly, I smh.

There are 100s of religions in the world and many of them had long existed before muhammed or islam.

Religion is nothing but the agglomeration of a groups societal laws that have been given a spiritual connotation of spirituality before man began to have institutions to make, codify and enforce laws.

Thus, there was man before religion and every religion is the spiritual extension of a culture. Therefore, islam is nothing but the Arab's viewpoint of what a society should be like and what God is supposed to be like.

This is why a bunch of you dress like Arabs thinking it is the way to make heaven. Religion being an extension of the material culture is also why caucasians dress like Yoruba when they start learning Ifa; why everyone dresses like Chinese/Janapese when they get into Taoism; why everyone dresses like Indians when they get into Hinduism -- the list is endless.

There's no right path or wrong path. All religions are a nothing but a way into the heart of a culture it springs from.

Make una go school go read, na lie. Na so so ile kewu and MSSN for campus.

Ifa olokun asorodayo nki e, ire o! grin

Apparently ,no word or person can convince but to beseech Allah 'swt' to forgive you and guide you to the right path, for you not to pass this languid creed of yours to innocent and vulnerable scion.
Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by obontami: 12:55pm On Dec 22, 2017
***Yawn***

1 Like

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by 1Sharon(f): 1:26pm On Dec 22, 2017
IditaBoy:

At the emboldened:

1. Violence is ingrained in Islam and Muslims. How are you any different from the Hausa, ISIS, AlQaeda and a whole lot of others who kill at the slightest dissenting opinion. I am sure if you had a means to attack me physically right now, you would because your allah directs you to use violence as the quickest means of response to anything.

2. You don't even know me cheesy

3. Forever broke? You're obviously in your 20s but mentally/emotionally a child on the inside.

4. If you're a Yoruba then it is a disgrace to call the ways of your ancestors that was in existence before muhammed's parents had sex or thought of birthing him; the same way that brought and still brings Yoruba admiration world over is what you refer to has as the wrong path indirectly, I smh.

There are 100s of religions in the world and many of them had long existed before muhammed or islam.

Religion is nothing but the agglomeration of a groups societal laws that have been given a spiritual connotation of spirituality before man began to have institutions to make, codify and enforce laws.

Thus, there was man before religion and every religion is the spiritual extension of a culture. Therefore, islam is nothing but the Arab's viewpoint of what a society should be like and what God is supposed to be like.

This is why a bunch of you dress like Arabs thinking it is the way to make heaven. Religion being an extension of the material culture is also why caucasians dress like Yoruba when they start learning Ifa; why everyone dresses like Chinese/Janapese when they get into Taoism; why everyone dresses like Indians when they get into Hinduism -- the list is endless.

There's no right path or wrong path. All religions are nothing but a way into the heart of a culture it springs from.

Make una go school go read, na lie. Na so so ile kewu and MSSN for campus.

Ifa olokun asorodayo nki e, ire o! grin

word!

3 Likes

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by 1Sharon(f): 1:30pm On Dec 22, 2017
jamexborn:
I sincerely feel sorry and sad for you all unbelievers, who believe god was born on the 25th of December by a human being.....some people will never see what is right in front of them

And you that believes that Mohammed rode a flying horse to heaven? undecided

Imagine ur hypocricy

Are both stories not ridiculous?

4 Likes

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 22, 2017
Abdulmujeeb52:
Apparently ,no word or person can convince but to beseech Allah 'swt' to forgive you and guide you to the right path, for you not to pass this languid creed of yours to innocent and vulnerable scion.

You are missing the point, there is no right or wrong path.

All that there is are paths to different cultures.

What would be the right path for an individual would be the religion that has his/her culture at its core.

This way cultural identity will be fully understood, retained and be appreciated. Adopting another religion is OK too but then comes the problem of identity — adopter’s identity is eroded and the culture behind a religion is never fully grasped because it is seen as a system towards piousness. This leads to confusion and an eventual constant conflict with one’s original cultural background = a recipe for violence/danger as we can now see.

For example, this is why Hausa is now a world language rather a specific cultural identity because they dress, talk and try to live like Arabs.

And this is why Arabs understand certain things in islam to be cultural but Hausa or Yoruba or other adopters consider it as spiritual — e.g Niqab, Chadri. For Hausa or Fulani women it must be done to get to a heaven; for the Ilorin, Oyo, Ibadan, Ede, Osogbo muslim it must be done to make heaven meanwhile it is merely a cultural thing for Arabs.

My friend, there’s no right path. If trying to be an Arab for the rest of your life works for you then that is good. Let me continue being Yoruba and following the paths of those who look like me and left the cultural system I was born in behind such as Obatala, Orunmila, Ogun, Esu, Osun, Oya, Edan & so on. It makes life very beautiful, self esteem, self appreciation and self confidence are very intact. Like the Arabs in Saudi, Dubai, Jordan who live the life and look down on you when you huddle to Mecca; I live the life with ease and look down on caucasians and people from other culture who huddle down to Ife during festivals and consider me as part of the ‘chosen people’ like you think of Arab & Christians think of Ashkenazi Jews

Ire O!

9 Likes

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 22, 2017
IditaBoy:

You are missing the point, there is no right or wrong path.

All that there is are paths to different cultures.

What would be the right path for an individual would be the religion that has his/her culture at its core.

This way cultural identity will be fully understood, retained and be appreciated. Adopting another religion is OK too but then comes the problem of identity — adopter’s identity is eroded and the culture behind a religion is never fully grasped because it is seen as a system towards piousness. This leads to confusion and an eventual constant conflict with one’s original cultural background = a recipe for violence/danger as we can now see.

For example, this is why Hausa is now a world language rather a specific cultural identity because they dress, talk and try to live like Arabs.

And this is why Arabs understand certain things in islam to be cultural but Hausa or Yoruba or other adopters consider it as spiritual — e.g Niqab, Chadri. For Hausa or Fulani women it must be done to get to a heaven; for the Ilorin, Oyo, Ibadan, Ede, Osogbo muslim it must be done to make heaven meanwhile it is merely a cultural thing for Arabs.

My friend, there’s no right path. If trying to be an Arab for the rest of your life works for you then that is good. Let me continue being Yoruba and following the paths of those who look like me and left the cultural system I was born in behind such as Obatala, Orunmila, Ogun, Esu, Osun, Oya, Edan & so on. It makes life very beautiful, self esteem, self appreciation and self confidence are very intact. Like the Arabs in Saudi, Dubai, Jordan who live the life and look down on you when you huddle to Mecca; I live the life with ease and look down on caucasians and people from other culture who huddle down to Ife during festivals and consider me as part of the ‘chosen people’ like you think of Arab & Christians think of Ashkenazi Jews

Ire O!
Olodumare bless you for this.
Dont mind these 'brainwashed' fool that believes their ancestors (not mine) went to hell for practising our 'OWN' religion.

3 Likes

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by jamexborn(m): 6:07pm On Dec 22, 2017
1Sharon:

And you that believes that Mohammed rode a flying horse to heaven? undecided

Imagine ur hypocricy

Are both stories not ridiculous?

The difference between my darkness and your darkness is that I can look at my own badness in the face and accept its existence while you are busy covering your mirror with a white linen sheet. The difference between my sins and your sins is that when I sin I know I'm sinning while you have actually fallen prey to your own fabricated illusions, Often those that criticise others reveal what he himself lacks...in your own case its hypocritical, I'm sorry once again I mean no harm, I just have to call the spade what it is, The holy prophet of Allah did ascend to the heavens as well as prophet issa (Jesus) amongst many other miracles they performed(your ignorance).......A Christian is someone who is living a Christ life that's living the Jesus lived......How many of you unbelievers are living the way Jesus lived ?? The true Muslim is living more of a Christ life than all you ungrateful and confused unbelievers are living.

1 Like

Re: Islamic Ways Of Fighting Temptations On TV And The Internet by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 22, 2017
jamexborn:

The difference between my darkness and your darkness is that I can look at my own badness in the face and accept its existence while you are busy covering your mirror with a white linen sheet. The difference between my sins and your sins is that when I sin I know I'm sinning while you have actually fallen prey to your own fabricated illusions, Often those that criticise others reveal what he himself lacks...in your own case its hypocritical, I'm sorry once again I mean no harm, I just have to call the spade what it is, The holy prophet of Allah did ascend to the heavens as well as prophet issa (Jesus) amongst many other miracles they performed(your ignorance).......A Christian is someone who is living a Christ life that's living the Jesus lived......How many of you unbelievers are living the way Jesus lived ?? The true Muslim is living more of a Christ life than all you ungrateful and confused unbelievers are living.

Damn!

This is how you folks replicate the war, disagreement and conflicts between Jew/Christians and Arabs in Africa.

A whole lot of you do not understand that Jews and Arabs disagreeing over Jesus/Mohammed is synonymous to Yoruba/Benin disagreeing over Oduduwa. A whole lot of us in Nigeria just go to school for the sake of it, our disciplines do not necessarily design our lives and na why Nigeria is seriously backward despite being the most educated black country in the world.

True Christian is nothing but a human trying too hard to be much more European than natural Europeans.

True Muslim is nothing but a human trying too hard to be much more Arab than the natural Arabs.

You lot need to stop the BS and see these folks are dominating the world through their religions we've adopted. You do not believe? Look out how Yoruba seem to be like the only ethnic group in Africa because of the spiritual system so much so that Yoruba religion is now referred to as 'African religion'. Language [a la colonialists] and religion are the two paths towards world domination and Yoruba is benefiting very much from these two sides.

Stop being Christian or Muslims, be much more Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Efik, Bini and so on.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Qualities A Muslim Husband Should Possess. / The Virtues Of The Month Of Sha'ban / Why Muslims Don't Take Interest-based Loans?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.