Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League (6778 Views)

Anambra Scores Highest In NECO Exams. Records Almost 80% In 2015 Exams. / Lack Of Textbooks Causes Mass Failure In Neco Exams -ubeb Official / Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by Nobody: 8:35pm On Apr 05, 2010
^^ correct your english so the emir can understand what you're saying.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by kafanchan: 9:07pm On Apr 05, 2010
Let that emir go and sit down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who dash am Doctor sef? These abokis will not stop to disgrace us in this country. When they refuse to recruit quality teachers and provide necessary facilities for students, why wont they fail? The emir no dey see small small children at league matches in Europe? Do they complain over there that students fail? Seriously, our leaders dont think before passing blames, how many hours is premier league in a week? Help me ask the slowpoke if his children dont watch premier league and also ask if those children fail. Idiot.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by Shola2009(m): 9:32pm On Apr 05, 2010
That's a very daft statement by the emir, disappointing actually,
doesn't even make sense, epl's responsible for the mass failure of the students ? angry
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by Nobody: 10:43pm On Apr 05, 2010
tpia.:

^^ correct your english so the emir can understand what you're saying.
grin grin
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by scoro99(m): 11:14pm On Apr 05, 2010
Mhen the Emir is right and we all know it.

Regardless of the club u re supporting, we know the Down-time on students reading is the longest as we have it today!
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by kingron: 11:29pm On Apr 05, 2010
funny
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by dipo2much(m): 11:36pm On Apr 05, 2010
nonsense,
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by ib612(m): 11:55pm On Apr 05, 2010
The Emir has only offered his own opinion. I'm sure that there were many others at the forum who would have done same. The governor deems it fit to organise such meeting in order to finding a way forward as it bothers on his own state; where are the rest of the governors.

My take is totally in support of what the contributor: # 59 said.

I should like to think that the rest of us contribute our little advise on how to stop these failures. It's not wise to curse another person that is opposite or contrary to our own view.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by Nobody: 12:24am On Apr 06, 2010
The emir was right in his comment.i'd rather say his point is one of the causative factor for our fallen standard of education.most seconday school students do not have access to cable tv to watch football yet,they perform woefully in examinations.imo,i think the government is to be blame because with the enabling environment,tools and motivated teachers,students will be encouraged to go extra mile in their education.we shouldnt criticize the emir for making his own view cuz i seen no reason why but the bottomline is to provide solutions and not criticism all the time.i recalled about two years ago when the permanent secretary in the federal ministry of education in an occasion openly criticized university lecturers of sleeping with female students and other malpractices.the presidency was annoyed and the perm sec was sanctioned for raising such allegation.but in the end what came to my mind was if such comment is really truth or a cook-up lies.i hope graduates here can answer the question without bias.the rot in nigeria education is borne out of corruption.there is universal education board for primary schools,post-primary education board for secondary and governing board for all universities that are allocated with billions of naira to raise education level without any improvement.we cant blame the children for failing if the govt have not done its own part,until govt do the right thing,then we can blame the students for mass failure
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by wendoworld(m): 12:35am On Apr 06, 2010
@tpia: Abeg if u no understand my english why dont u ignore it and move on? or u simply go hug transformer, why u no kuku help me correct am na? madam I TOO KNOW! cheesy
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by latepa(m): 1:06am On Apr 06, 2010
wendoworld:

@tpia: Abeg if u no understand my english why dont u ignore it and move on? or u simply go hug transformer, why u no kuku help me correct am na? madam I TOO KNOW! cheesy

cheesy grin
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by hardywaltz(m): 1:07am On Apr 06, 2010
You all are attacking the Emir because he is a Northerner abi? Taking a swing at the North (our imaginary enemy) is the in thing theses days.
The man only stated his opinion, you should have stated yours rather than abuse him (aboki, etc).
As its well known the 98% failure was both north and south; Private owned well equipped schools and government owned dilapidate schools so the root cause(s) has to be something that cuts across all sectors. Back in the 90's when i attended secondary, there were just a handful of private schools in Rivers State compared to now. While going through facebook the other day i stumbled on our secondary school pictures and i almost shed tears on sighting the school building which we were taught in, i also remembered we had to fight over desk coz we out numbered that which were available. Yet we were able to make good grades, so no one should blame lack of infrastructure coz theses kids are well off, are so comfortable and now have the option of attending private well equipped schools.
As in my earlier post i still put the blame squarely on Parents whose work schedule don't allow them much chance to actually know what their childred are doing. EPL is just one of the PROBABLE causes, however others like internet, facebook, nollywood, rap music, africanmagic, twitter, etc may just add to it.
However many were of the school of taught that there has and will always be distractions which i tend to agree with, but very few posters have since offered any useful causes/solutions, only insult on the poor Emir (attempting to kill the messenger and the message). As earlier stated it wasn't only Northerners or govt. schools that recorded the failure so dont start blaming government, lack of infrastructure bla bla bla.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by Nobody: 2:45am On Apr 06, 2010
The emir has a point.
He just scratched the surfave only. Modern day gadgets are seriously distracting.

I hear people ask how many hrs is the EPL, after EPL you switch to AfricaMagic or any other channel.
You browse morning till night and you play PS3 day in day out.
Thats a lot of productive time.

That said, parents of today are too busy. In my days we had tv time and study time.
When you supply all these gadgets to your kids and you don't have time to teach them time management, i'm afraid you're preparing them to be failures.

Cut the emir some slacks, he just used footie as an example.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by Rastamann: 3:20am On Apr 06, 2010
Mallam don come again o. What has European league got to do with mass failure in Nigeria? Is European league the rot in infrastructures in the schools and colleges? Is European league the ill-equipped and not-motivated teachers? Is European league the 45 days make one month for salaries (when they are paid at all)? Is European league the numerous classrooms with no roof, no window, no chairs, no chalk to write on a non-existent blackboard, no textbooks? Is European league the selfish quest for parents to help their wards cheat and pass examinations? Is European league the quest to buy examination questions before the examination day? While will we keep going to Sokoto (a state in northern Nigeria) to seek for the causes of our problems when we all know that the cause is in our sokoto (yoruba name for trousers pants).
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by ubedison: 6:37am On Apr 06, 2010
it really silly to blame the failure of our children on the EPL,when we have not given education it rightful place in our society.
the level of education in the country has fallen and the elite are busy sending their wards abroad,spending huge sums of money that would have help develop infrastructures in our schools
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by finestiyke(m): 7:23am On Apr 06, 2010
Make d emir, d governor n d fg go sleep jare, they decided to underfund education in Nigeria, now c wat we get, 97% failure to get 5 credits. Hmmph God help my kids that are yet to come
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by Mesef1: 7:34am On Apr 06, 2010
scoro99:

Mhen the Emir is right and we all know it.

Regardless of the club u re supporting, we know the Down-time on students reading is the longest as we have it today!

Guy, are u also as daft as the Emir making this illogical and foolish statement?

How can he be right? If boys failed because of EPL, did the female students (less than 10% watch EPL) fail because they watch EPL too?

Lets face it, the quality of teachers have dropped, education standard generally has fallen and i suppose everybody in nigeria knows this.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by Remii(m): 8:08am On Apr 06, 2010
The Emir has a point but not only the premiership should be blamed, there are so many distractions today, the cellphone companies free night calls, MTN extracool and others, is another menace, e-dating and the rest some people chat away their lives also use of funny spellings such as b4, u, your, r, kk, l8er, etc, etc have affected students ability to write correctly. Examination malpractices has been around long enough to the extent that many teachers these days did not write there own exams so they are not even encouraging the students to pass exams without help.

Now talking about Nigerians and passion for soccer, believe it or not, US 94 killed the June 12 riots in 1994, because as soon as the game started everyone forgot the sit at home and the riots and the rest is history.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by hardywaltz(m): 8:26am On Apr 06, 2010
@ Remii and Blue Diva, your contributions are amongst the reasonable so far. Others  are just noises.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by ucnduka(f): 8:36am On Apr 06, 2010
Remii:

The Emir has a point but not only the premiership should be blamed, there are so many distractions today, the cellphone companies free night calls, MTN extracool and others, is another menace, e-dating and the rest some people chat away their lives also use of funny spellings such as b4, u, your, r, kk, l8er, etc, etc have affected students ability to write correctly. Examination malpractices has been around long enough to the extent that many teachers these days did not write there own exams so they are not even encouraging the students to pass exams without help.

I quite agree with you. Though the government takes a major share of the blame in the failure of the education system, alot of students contribute to their academic woes. It is easier for students to spend hours in front of the tv set, browsing etc than to spend at least one hour reading their books. Whether, the emir's statement is sensible or not, we can not deny the fact that we have more lazy students now than before and no thanks to the corrupt system (which involves parents, teachers and the government) students see cheating as an easier route than studying.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by ichommy(m): 8:52am On Apr 06, 2010
English Premier League ko NIGERIA Premier League tongue
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by Jarus(m): 8:57am On Apr 06, 2010
I honestly agree the newfound love for football watching among Naija school children contributes to mass failure in exams.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by chrisical(m): 9:03am On Apr 06, 2010
The emir's claim is quite funny but that is not the truth.Anyway.Up blues grin grin
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by misterh(m): 9:12am On Apr 06, 2010
There has been the EPL in previous NECO exams. It's the students that are not serious.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by KIDIKENYI: 9:17am On Apr 06, 2010
I suppose the Emir would rather blame the educational sector instead of blaming English Premier League or is becoming interested in watching the league? I never knew he has the heart to say a thing like this to common people rather than calling on the Government to revive the educational sector by providing her with qualitative teachers, reading material, electricity and other social amenities to enhance the perfomance students. I have seen Emir's watching both Nigerian Leagues and EPL and no body has ever trace the collapse of our community to them. If any failed is either he is naturally lazy or due to the rotten educational sector, EPL is not a desease please Emir of Minna.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by deb(m): 9:32am On Apr 06, 2010
What happened to nollyhood/Movie magic and all of the senseless music and videos all over our TV?

How about the irresponsible parents who are too busy to take care of their children? At least some people
gave birth to the 2% that passed the exams
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by kehindebad(m): 9:45am On Apr 06, 2010
Hmmm, this is ridiculous innit!!! grin
Of all things, blaming failure in exams on the English Premier League,
What of the other students that passed
If a student wants to pass an exam,he'll work towards it, Gbam
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by GeorgeD1(m): 9:51am On Apr 06, 2010
i hope they also have viewing centres in the villages or bushes where they rear cattle? grin
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by texazzpete(m): 10:10am On Apr 06, 2010
I cringe when i see suposedly intelligent people blaming facebook, twitter, EPL and Africa Magic for the mass failures. Are you people aware that up to 50% of the students that failed have little access to the internet, not to talk of all these 'distractions' you're babbling about.

The Emir himself should be deeply ashamed for this brainless assumption. If the EPL is the reason for failures, how does that explain the mass failure even in the females who wrote the last NECO? Or are girls now suddenly watching the English premier league?
If the English premier league is so distracting, why are we not seeing mass failures in our universities, considering the fact that University undergrads are under more distractions, and far less parental supervision than secondary school pupils?

I did my NYSC in a village secondary school, i know how horrible the teachers were, i know the over-reliance on youth corps members for quality education. I saw how horrible the class facilities were, no power, no computers, no textbooks, nothing! I taught SS1 - SS3 class. Less than 3% of the SS3 students knew how to use a common four figure table - a tool i had mastered in JSS3 when i was in secondary school!
And this same scenario is repeated all over the country. in rural areas, in urban areas, everywhere! Our educational system is substandard.

Anyone who feels the EPL is the reason our educational system is going downhill should have his head checked.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by nikinash(f): 10:13am On Apr 06, 2010
It is a sad situation.

The problem with the educational sector has very little if anything to do with EPL, Nollywood or whatever. The problem is foundational. GO to any public school today whether east, north or west and what you will find majorly are many teachers who are not qualified and have very little interest in teaching the students. This problem didn't start recently, we are just beginning to see large scale result of long outstanding foundational errors. When I served many many years ago,in the school where I taught, the students were about to write their SSCE exams and 99.8% of them could not read the English so how were they to read the questions before even being able to understand them? Well the solution was "simple", the teachers read the question to them in Hausa. But that left the matter of answering the questions, most of them just answered in Hausa as best as they could. My family friends who studied Education in the Tertiary institution always have woeful stories to tell of how horrific their teaching practice period was even in Lagos, with SS2 students not knowing how to spell simple words.

In my opinion, government needs to recruit better teachers who would undergo serious training before and during employment on how to be better teachers. Of course better teachers require better pay so that they will focus on teaching and not trading during school hours.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by jessefly: 10:13am On Apr 06, 2010
maybe the emir's son has an EPL addiction that is why grin
but i wont deny d influence premier league has on performances,
during my days at skool futo we had one mango tree, where boys would dress up, come to skool and hang out discussing nothing but football, they would miss lectures yanning chelsea vs barca, man u etc, this went on till the intervention of our dean who said he doesnt want to see folks there anymore

stil they r other factors contributing to such failure rates like parties, facebook, low reading habits n vices we didnt do during our time. The life now leaves students accessible to stuff i only dreamt of, n tech has gone so haywire no thing lik dull moments. it is only God that can help these students cos if we were in their shoes n young like them i bet u we will fall for such too.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by GeorgeD1(m): 10:15am On Apr 06, 2010
epl + addiction = 0% waec! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Families Of Dana Crash Victims Protest Over Non-payment Of Claims / APC Presidential Campain At Calaba: Buhari Fell Down While Climbing The Stage! / Signs Of Normalcy In Many Parts Of Borno Slim –UN Agency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.