Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,176 members, 7,821,985 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy (29742 Views)

Hafsat Umar Ganduje Flags Off The Women For Buhari And Ganduje 2019 Campaign / Hafsat Abiola Apologizes To Buhari On Behalf Of Abiola Family / Hafsat Umar Hambaga Dies In Accident (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by olasaad(f): 1:35pm On Dec 22, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Hafsat should just keep quiet.
She doesn't even believe what she's said, why isn't she as fanatical as her brother.
Where is her own hijab?

The NBA were right with their decision.
Islamic terrorists have unfortunately made the hijab become synonymous with terrorism.
Just like the beret is synonymous with cultism.

I don't see why anyone should have troubles taking off their hijab if they aren't fanatics.
The NBA must not have such people amongst them.

And don't come here to cry wolf when she's eventually call to bar

1 Like

Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by BigBizzy(m): 2:02pm On Dec 22, 2017
same lady that will remove hijab to suck preeq? she's just being a mümü wanna be lawyer. there's nothing courageous is that childish act. she should be expelled rather
Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by IYANGBALI: 2:09pm On Dec 22, 2017
Mtcheeeeeeeeeew
Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by Juliusdking(m): 2:36pm On Dec 22, 2017
E pain her

Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by maasoap(m): 2:48pm On Dec 22, 2017
nawtyme:
No one denied her anything. There were Muslims in NBA when the law was made.
The Bible says that a man should not wear what a woman wears and vice versa. Some Christians do not adhere strictly to it. Deeper life members do. Yet they are compelled to wear trousers during NYSC.
A friend of mine ran into trouble because the hospital she worked with as a Corp member (FMC Azare) compelled her to wear trousers and she refused.
Heaven did not fall. Follow the rules or bounce.
There is third option: challenge the status quo in court of law.
Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by maasoap(m): 2:50pm On Dec 22, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Hafsat should just keep quiet.
She doesn't even believe what she's said, why isn't she as fanatical as her brother.
Where is her own hijab?

The NBA were right with their decision.
Islamic terrorists have unfortunately made the hijab become synonymous with terrorism.
Just like the beret is synonymous with cultism.

I don't see why anyone should have troubles taking off their hijab if they aren't fanatics.
The NBA must not have such people amongst them.
You can't see the reason. Not everyone that has eyes can truly see.
Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by nawtyme: 2:54pm On Dec 22, 2017
maasoap:

There is third option: challenge the status quo in court of law.
You are absolutely correct.
Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by Nobody: 2:55pm On Dec 22, 2017
Where's your hijab Mrs abiola?
Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by kraftyiyk: 3:00pm On Dec 22, 2017
maasoap:

You can't see the reason. Not everyone that has eyes can truly see.
olasaad:

And don't come here to cry wolf when she's eventually call to bar

Which part of your Nigerian tradition is propagated In the Arab world? You really think Arabians give a damn about Nigerians(Africans) ?

olasaad:

Trousers is not allowed in Islam too, We were also forced to wear it during Nysc and that is the only time I wore it in my life.
Those who thought you not to wear trousers are wearing different styles at will out here in the western world.

Why cant we do these things in moderation?
Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by Vivere: 3:17pm On Dec 22, 2017
exlinklodge:
Defunct leader, MKO Abiola’s daughter, Hafsat Abiola-Costello, has reacted to the controversy over UNILORIN law graduate, Firdaus who was denied call to bar for wearing hijab.

Hafsat Abiola-Costello is a Nigerian human rights, civil rights and democracy activist, founder of the Kudirat Initiative for Democracy, which seeks to strengthen civil society and promote democracy in Nigeria

Hafsat commended Firdaus Amasa for defending her religion and challenging the status quo in the Nigerian law school. She wrote on her Facebook:

“A law student passed all the requirements to be called to the bar but was not allowed to attend the ceremony because she refused to take off her hijab, which violates the rules of the Law School. “She knew of the rule but because she felt that it was unjust, she refused to comply. By so doing, she has chosen to challenge the status quo.

“If she succeeds, the Law School will change the rule. If she fails, she would either have to comply in order to be called to the Bar in Nigeria or give up her dream of being a lawyer here.

“Wish we would all be like Firdaus in pursuit of the world we want to live in. To stand up or take a knee and speak up against a practice or rule that we do not support. To be willing to challenge the prevailing practice, no matter the cost. After all, the problems we remain silent about are the ones we are condemned to live with.

“As we think of what gifts to give each other during this Christmas season, let us gather stories of the courageous, the stories of the scared-but-acted-anyway to share at our tables. Let them inspire us to enter 2018 prepared to raise our voices about the issues we are concerned about; to push past complacency and complicity and demand change.

“Well done, Firdaus. A lioness can only ever be the mother of cubs.”

more @ http://www.exlinklodge.com/2017/12/mko-abiolas-daughter-hafsat-abiola.html

This Hafsat girl is rather unserious. She did not question Firdaus about how she went through 5 years of university and 1 whole year of law school, without raising any dust about whether it was permissible to wear the hijab under the wig and gown, only to wait until the day she was being called to bar, to kick up a fuss.

I dislike needless controversy, and Firdaus actions has shown that she believes in form rather than substance. She prefers creating unnecessary distractions like a toddler, instead of working behind the scenes to resolve issues, amicably...

Meanwhile, the same Hafsat that is applauding her, comes from a Muslim family and does NOT wear the hijab. sad
Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by olasaad(f): 3:44pm On Dec 22, 2017
kraftyiyk:

Which part of your Nigerian tradition is propagated In the Arab world? You really think Arabians give a damn about Nigerians(Africans) ?

Those who thought you not to wear trousers are wearing different styles at will out here in the western world.

Why cant we do these things in moderation?

And to you trousers is Nigeria/African styles. Anyway I dress moderate which I believe it the best of Nigeria/ African tradition
Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 4:05pm On Dec 22, 2017
Mrkumareze:
I wonder what the world would be if we all bring in our religion, believe and other tribal or religious identity into every aspect of life. Native doctor 'll tie his fowl feathers, Ozo title holder 'll wear their cap, Catholic sister their scalf, Muslim sister same e t c
It would be disastrous,It is high time we separate religion from state matters,because Nigeria is a secular Nation.

2 Likes

Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by hooklover: 4:27pm On Dec 22, 2017
Annnonymous:
Binta Kaseem Mohammed wrote:

I don't know why it's so difficult to understand another person's decisions about his body. Let who want to cover be allowed to do so and one who loves to uncover also do so. Nobody should force his views/ideas on the other. Muslim women simply do not feel comfortable moving around with open heads and human comfort is a fundamental human right.

Leave ur useless talk let her go to Islamic school and cover head to toe there .
If she wants to be a lawyer she MUST follow d rules.....

No ammout of Muslim talk can change that..

Ask shekau after fighting for 5yrs if he sucrrded in making Nigeria Islamic state....
Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by streetzdreamz(m): 9:22pm On Dec 22, 2017
nawtyme:
No one denied her anything. There were Muslims in NBA when the law was made.
The Bible says that a man should not wear what a woman wears and vice versa. Some Christians do not adhere strictly to it. Deeper life members do. Yet they are compelled to wear trousers during NYSC.
A friend of mine ran into trouble because the hospital she worked with as a Corp member (FMC Azare) compelled her to wear trousers and she refused.
Heaven did not fall. Follow the rules or bounce.
you've said it all, it's not a must to be a certified lawyer if you can't stick by the rules, the country has better issues to address rather than this vain talks, she ain't the first Muslim to be a lawyer so what's all the noise making!!!!deeper life members who strictly forbids trousers for ladies,ends up putting on trousers during service year, doesn't make them a sinner, it's just them sticking by the rules of the scheme, and if you can't stick by the rules you gtf out!!!!! this is how those bloody religious killers starts, their believes is way too rigid and extreme!!!
Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by safarigirl(f): 12:34am On Dec 23, 2017
olasaad:

Trousers is not allowed in Islam too, We were also forced to wear it during Nysc and that is the only time I wore it in my life.
maybe in Yoruba Islam....because trousers are very much allowed in the North.

It is even worn as school uniform for Muslims in all public schools in Abuja and it was implemented in 2008 here because Muslims said the skirts left their legs exposed and trousers were better

4 Likes

Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by olasaad(f): 6:23am On Dec 23, 2017
safarigirl:
maybe in Yoruba Islam....because trousers are very much allowed in the North.

It is even worn as school uniform for Muslims in all public schools in Abuja and it was implemented in 2008 here because Muslims said the skirts left their legs exposed and trousers were better

Nysc uniform is different from the school uniform you are talking about,even I have never seen christian school dressed like that. All the Islamic school you are talking about wear long gown at least kneel length on top of the trousers not the one that will show their bumbum.
Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by lastmessenger: 6:35am On Dec 23, 2017
JaffyJoe:
The only way to put an end to the Muslim-Christian paranoia in Nigeria today is to be reoriented and embrace the concept of secularity in its fullest & at all social levels.

Until a muslim lady is free to wear her veil, perform her religious duties without derision in the deepest part of Bayelsa and a Christian/Non-religious lady in a mini-skirt walk along Sultan's palace in Sokoto without being mobbed and disgraced, then we aren't ready to live harmoniously yet.

This is what i expect noisy Human Rights NGOs and equity advocates to pursue but what do i know.
This is exactly where the problem lies. There are so many Christians,atheist ,free thinkers and traditionalist living in kano and all those of other state yet my Muslim brothers did not consider them before they adopted the sharia law. Muslims hailed it,they did not consider those who do not subscribe to their religion but without much ado they sharia law is in place. Today you cannot be openly found with a bottle of beer in kano without attracting the wrath of the sharia police.
From my observation, Muslim care only about what concerns them not minding how it affect others.They shout human right even when they openly deny others their own right to freedom.

1 Like

Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by SuccesYear: 7:02am On Dec 23, 2017
sexy74:

True talk, what about the free thinkers and traditionalist, they too should do as deemed fit.
my brother y not....... If it feels comfortable with anyone
Re: Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy by JaffyJoe(m): 10:41am On Dec 23, 2017
lastmessenger:
This is exactly where the problem lies. There are so many Christians,atheist ,free thinkers and traditionalist living in kano and all those of other state yet my Muslim brothers did not consider them before they adopted the sharia law. Muslims hailed it,they did not consider thise who did not subscribe to their religion but without much ado they sharia law in in place. Today you cannot be openly found with a bottle of beer in kano without attracting the wrath of the sharia police.
From my observation, Muslim care only about what concerns them not minding how it affect others.They shout human right even when they openly deny others their own right to freedom.

You are absolutely right. To be candid, a typical Christian has no qualms with how a Muslim chooses to dress or carry him or herself in this country. But, that's not the case in most Muslim dominated states, especially up north. How can you tell me not to dress some kinda way or destroys my beer business in a supposed secular country but keep b*tching about civil rights whenever you are at the receiving end.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Will Not Contest Kogi Election Results At Tribunal – Dino Melaye / Lagos Police Confirm Arrest Of Magodo Estate Security / Soldier Kneels Down As His Mother Prays For Him After His Posting To The North.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.