Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,054 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Birth In Belfast In 2004 - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Birth In Belfast In 2004 (814 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Birth In Belfast In 2004 by oman123: 12:29pm On Apr 04, 2010
Hello nairalanders. My son was born in belfast at the Royal maternity hospital on the 11th of April, 2004. I am Nigerian and at the time of his birth neither myself nor my wife has british stay. now someone suggested my son may have british and irish citizenship! is this really true? Kindly advise us
Re: Birth In Belfast In 2004 by dancewith: 12:34pm On Apr 04, 2010
Interesting. I will look this up and get back to you
Re: Birth In Belfast In 2004 by joxiri: 12:48pm On Apr 04, 2010
Dont know much but I am assuming if it is belfast then its only british citizenship because belfast is in the Uk and not ireland
but I dont really know
Re: Birth In Belfast In 2004 by jaybee3(m): 12:52pm On Apr 04, 2010
@OP
Citizenship and identity
Further information: British nationality law and Irish nationality law
As part of the United Kingdom, people from Northern Ireland are British citizens. They are also entitled to Irish citizenship by birth which is covered in the 1998 Belfast Agreement between the British and Irish governments, which, provides that: it is the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly [the two governments] confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland.

As a result of the Agreement, the Constitution of Ireland[36] was amended so that people born in Northern Ireland are entitled to be Irish citizens on the same basis as people from any other part of the island of Ireland.

Neither government, however, extends its citizenship to all persons born in Northern Ireland. Both governments exclude some people born in Northern Ireland (e.g. certain persons born in Northern Ireland neither of whose parents is a UK or Irish national). The Irish restriction was given effect by the Twenty-seventh amendment to the Constitution in 2004.

Several studies and surveys performed between 1971 and 2006 have indicated that, in general, Protestants in Northern Ireland see themselves primarily as 'British', whereas Roman Catholics regard themselves primarily as 'Irish'.[37][38][39][40][41][42][43][44]

This does not however, account for the complex identities within Northern Ireland, given that many of the population regard themselves as "Ulster" or "Northern Irish", either primarily, or as a secondary identity. A 2008 survey found that 57% of Protestants described themselves as British, while 32% identified as Northern Irish, 6% as Ulster and 4% as Irish. Compared to the same survey carried out in 1998 this shows a fall in the percentage of Protestants identifying as British and Ulster, and a rise in those identifying as Northern Irish. The 2008 survey found that 61% of Catholics described themselves as Irish, with 25% identifying as Northern Irish, 8% as British and 1% as Ulster. These figures were largely unchanged from the 1998 results.[45][46]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland#Citizenship_and_identity
Re: Birth In Belfast In 2004 by dancewith: 12:57pm On Apr 04, 2010
@poster

According to Irish citizenship law, anyone born 'in the island of ireland (which includes the north and south) on or before 31st Dec 2004, is automatically an Irish citizen'!!!!!  So your son is Irish, congrats

Now since he is Irish, I am not too sure he is British as both you nor your wife has british legal residence. But being Irish is enough. Just send your child's birth certificate to the Irish embassy Abuja and they will issue the passport. the docs include: the BC, a completed passport applciation form signed by both parents and witnessed by a lawyer, docter, medical doctor or a bank manager. make sure to include the passport photograph.

But i am certain. he is irish!!!!!
Re: Birth In Belfast In 2004 by joxiri: 1:14pm On Apr 04, 2010
@ dancewith so is anyone born in ireland entitled to automatic citizenship even if their parents are not irish or legal residents at the time
Re: Birth In Belfast In 2004 by dancewith: 1:30pm On Apr 04, 2010
@joxiri

thats right. once you were born in the island of ireland on or before 31st of Dec 2004, it is irrelevant who your parents are. just like the good ole north america

(1) (Reply)

Student Resident Permit To Finland 2010 / Travelling To Canada / I Neef Facts About Malaysia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.