Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:53 AM

The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal (46376 Views)

Bala Ciroma Replaces Magu As EFCC Boss - The Street Journal / Boko Haram Leadership Crisis Stalling Negotiation For Chibok Girls’ Release- PMB / The New War Against Africa’s Christians - Wall Street Journal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by Cannonleo(m): 11:00pm On Dec 23, 2017
LRNZH:

So sorry to hear about your not too favorable situation. It will improve soon by God's grace.

With the information we had in 2015, I still believe Buhari was the better choice. Imagine a GEJ govt without high oil price. If GEJ wasn't an abysmal leader, there was no way Buhari with his dictatorial past will win an election in a democracy.

That's stated, even Atiku is not good enough though Buhari's govt has not measured up.

It will be better for Naija in due time.
your correct and somehow not correct, we had a mini recession in 2012-2013 nobody felt a thing cos the effects were cushioned if my memoryb served me right but all that is passed to be sincere we are now between the devil and deep blue sea
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by OmoEpe(m): 11:01pm On Dec 23, 2017
T9ksy:

@ bolded...................Jesus wept!!! what billions of dollars was taken from biafra land? Smh at some folks attache by force or fire.

Which Biafra? The landlocked potorpotor land or thr erosion ravaged jungle east of the niger?
You guys are suffering from delusion of grandeur
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by miqos02(m): 11:05pm On Dec 23, 2017
Pepsi101:
Paying a ransom of such huge amount is akin to arming the insurgents with enough cash to procure weapons.
the govt had no choice

1 Like

Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by OmoEpe(m): 11:05pm On Dec 23, 2017
Ikechuob:
Which season are we in on the chibok series? I stopped in season 3. So who did they invite for the new season, is it Genevieve nnaji?

I can't believe people still believe this scam is real. Am I the only one that's notice the chibok story gets reported only when people start questioning the progress of apc and buhari?

Also, how were the girls keeping a journal in custody. Weren't they forced to leave their properties during the kidnap? So how did they find a book while in the forest? So was it boko haram that bought them a notebook? Likewise, all the girls so far "released" can't even speak English. How were they able to read and write in English? Mschewww.

The north leaders and buhari knows exactly where those girls are. They need to go release those girls and stop using them for political chess.

The kind of empty membrane you carry in your skull tagged brain was what GEJ had hence he lost the 2015 general election as a sitting president.
Some people actually need a brain transplant
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by LRNZH(m): 11:07pm On Dec 23, 2017
Cannonleo:
your correct and somehow not correct, we had a mini recession in 2012-2013 nobody felt a thing cos the effects were cushioned if my memoryb served me right but all that is passed to be sincere we are now between the devil and deep blue sea

I don't seem to recall that mini recession you refer to.
The last recession before the 2014 oil price crash was in 2008. Between 2010 and 2015 that GEJ was president, oil prices were unprecedented so no cause for recession in Nigeria.

Lack of savings from that administration was partly why Nigeria went into recession afterwards once oil prices tanked. But Buhari did not help matters by his treatment of ND militants and the SE that didn't vote for him.

Anyway, let's look ahead and not backwards.
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by degamemaster(m): 11:14pm On Dec 23, 2017
Chibok saga, the biggest scam of the centuries pulled against humanity by the northern political class, buhari and Obama's administration. You know what? The actors in this jaw-dropping conspiracy and scam have been duly compensated and are living large now except their eternal zombies who has refused to get their heads off their asses and see the light.
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by Boss13: 11:14pm On Dec 23, 2017
frankyychiji:
embarassed embarassed embarassed

This story failed to mention the role Bornu governor played in all this.

Why did he ignore security directives to relocate the pupils to another location for the exams?

BTW, why did the government lie that no Ransome was paid?

Are you just aware that our government tells lies? Glad we can all see the impact of investigative journalism. It has to take foreigners, as always, to tell us what is happening in our own country.

1 Like

Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by Fezzolee: 11:17pm On Dec 23, 2017
Nigeria with alot of drama, government go form one thing call am chibok girls, bring back our girls, which girls them dey bring back since how many years, the girls never turn grandma finish?? No worry, una go soon hear word.
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by Fezzolee: 11:18pm On Dec 23, 2017
LRNZH:
The Kidnapping

Nearly three years earlier, close to midnight on April 14, 2014, the girls of the Chibok school sat up in their bunk beds.

A group of men in pickup trucks were bearing down on the small town of Chibok, firing rockets and assault rifles. A dozen or so soldiers stationed nearby ran for their lives.

There was no electricity in the single-story schoolhouse and the girls had only flashlights to guide them. Outside their dormitory windows, they could hear the rumble of approaching engines.

Many of their parents and neighbors had fled to the nearby mountains, some wearing nightgowns. Hiding behind shrubs and in the crevices of rocks, the adults watched the fighters swarm toward their target—the Chibok school. Parents furiously dialed their children.

Cowering in his boxer shorts on the side of the mountain, Samuel Yama saw his phone light up. It was his sister, Margaret, a student. “She could not even speak and I was telling her to flee,” he said; “She was in tears...then the call cut off.”

Outside, the girls heard voices.

“Don’t worry! We are soldiers. Gather!”

The school’s elderly security guard had fled. The girls didn’t know what to make of the men ordering them to come into the moonlit courtyard.

“Don’t worry, we are soldiers,” they repeated.

The students, some carrying Bibles, tiptoed through their rooms toward the voices outside, swimming through darkness.

A view of the small town of Chibok, where militants abducted 276 schoolgirls from their dormitory in 2014.

A house in Chibok. Corruption, military coups and a limping economy have made northern Nigeria one of the world’s poorest regions.

The twisted metal frames of bunk beds are all that remains of the Chibok Government Secondary School. After abducting its students, Boko Haram burned it to the ground.

For centuries, Chibok had been a place of refuge, remote and shielded by mountains. Families had settled there in the 1700s to escape the slave trade. It was among the last outposts to fall under British colonial rule.

In 1941, a missionary couple arrived from the Illinois-based Church of the Brethren. Chibok became a majority-Christian hamlet in Nigeria’s Muslim heartland, a place where people of both faiths lived side by side.

By the turn of the 21st century, corruption, military coups and a limping economy created a wave of unemployment across the impoverished north. Thousands of disillusioned young men—including jobless college graduates—began listening to the teachings of radical Islam.

In Maiduguri, a city of roughly one million people 80 miles from Chibok, a baby-faced cleric named Mohammed Yusuf built a following by declaring that Western education, or boko, was haram, sinful. The earth was flat, the cleric argued, and evaporation was a lie—Allah caused rain. Western education was a scam to distance Nigerians from their maker, he said, and democracy was an affront to God.

As Boko Haram’s ranks swelled, Yusuf and his lieutenants toured the northeast in buses strapped with speakers, urging Muslims to sever their ties to the government and follow Shariah law. During a 2009 street battle between his followers and police, Yusuf was handcuffed and pulled into a station. A crowd watched as officers shot him in the chest.

The leader who took charge after Yusuf’s murder pursued a more radical path. Abubakar Shekau, a bearded and bellowing cleric, burned with anger and wrath, propagating an apocalyptic vision.

A still from a video released in October, 2014 by Boko Haram’s commander, Abubakar Shekau. PHOTO: ASSOCIATED PRESS

The Nigerian government sent envoys to reason with Shekau. They came back in disbelief. He demanded all of Nigeria adopt Shariah as a precondition for peace talks.

Shekau redirected Boko Haram into the countryside, shedding its reclusiveness in favor of a full-blown insurgency. His army commandeered tanks and antiaircraft guns from the military and exacted revenge on communities that resisted them.

In hourlong video sermons, Shekau threw tirades at Queen Elizabeth II and Abraham Lincoln, rambling, cackling and jabbing his finger into the lens. “We will kill whoever practices democracy!” he screamed. “We should decapitate them! We should amputate their limbs! We should mutilate!”

“Kill, kill, kill!”

By the early 2010s, Boko Haram was regularly slaughtering moderate Muslim leaders and dispatching suicide bombers to crowded markets. Kalashnikov-wielding militants hanging off the backs of scooters attacked villages, spraying bullets indiscriminately at adults and children and setting everything on fire. Tens of thousands died. Hundreds of thousands fled.

Schools closed by the hundreds. Some were burned down by their own students, converts to Shekau’s army, now one of the world’s most deadly. To keep feeding its ranks, Boko Haram began kidnapping children.

In their red-tin-roofed schoolhouse, the Chibok girls were learning that the earth was round. “PROOF THE EARTH IS SPHERICAL,” the students were told to copy in their notebooks. “Pictures taken from spacecraft at great height clearly show the curvature of the earth.”

It wasn’t just this school’s curriculum that violated Shekau’s vision—it was the mixing of faiths. Its students included Muslims and Christians. Their parents were neighbors and friends.

The students seemed destined to become northeastern Nigeria’s next generation of educated women. Hauwa Nkeki, a star volleyball player, was studying to be a nurse, or maybe an economist. Elizabeth Joseph read the Bible at night by lantern. Dorcas Yakuba passed the days writing love letters to a boy who had nicknamed her “the remote control of my life.”

Naomi Adamu was one of the school’s more serious students, “a hardworking girl,” as her mother, Kolo Adamu, described her. She also had a goofy sense of humor she shared with a few close friends. As she prepared for final exams, she was looking forward to the next stage of her life.

Photos of the Chibok girls taken before their kidnapping. The girl in the yellow dress is Naomi Adamu, one of the 103 captives released. PHOTO: GLENNA GORDON

Outside the school grounds, Chibok had come to feel less safe. Earlier that year, Boko Haram torched six nearby villages. Distant gunfire sometimes thundered. One day, a school administrator found a piece of paper on the ground warning of a Boko Haram attack, but dismissed it as a prank.

The girls didn’t live in fear, but understood the gathering threat. Families seeking sanctuary in Chibok brought stories of the insurgents’ brutality.

In March, three weeks before the attack, Shekau appeared on YouTube, threatening the region’s young women: “Girls, you should return to your homes…In due course we will start taking women away.”

The night of the attack, when the girls emerged in the courtyard, they could see the men were not soldiers. They wore unkempt beards, flip-flops and tattered uniforms. Several were raiding the school cafeteria, stealing sacks of rice, beans and pasta. Others poured gasoline on the school to torch it.

Boko Haram had not come to abduct the students. It had come to steal the school’s brickmaking machine. The insurgents had been on a kidnapping spree, and their camps faced a housing shortage.

A commander fired his rifle in the air and demanded to know where the machine was kept. Once they found it, the fighters hoisted it onto a truck.

As they prepared to leave, one militant, motioning to the students, asked a fateful question. What shall we do with them?

A few weeks earlier, Boko Haram had barricaded dozens of schoolboys in their dormitory at the Federal Government College of Buni Yadi and burned them alive. At other colleges, they had tossed grenades into the dorms while the students slept.

The unit’s commander turned to the girls. “Shekau will know what to do with them,” he said.

The fighters ordered the students to climb into their trucks. The teenagers linked hands and arms as they stumbled through the dark.

Oby Ezekwesili, second from right, at a recent meeting in Abuja. The former government official led daily protests on the girls’ behalf and popularized the famous #BringBackOurGirls Twitter hashtag.

The cast of “The Expendables 3,” posing on the red carpet during the 67th Cannes Film Festival. PHOTO: VALERY HACHE/AFP/GETTY IMAGES

what a photo shop
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by frankyychiji(f): 11:28pm On Dec 23, 2017
LRNZH:

Watch this from 17:30. You will witness numerous Chibok girls speaking english.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWFvUv8Ilh8

You can chose to stick to what you want to believe afterwards, but not for lack of knowledge .
Why are you narrowing down this discourse to the girls inability to speak English? Was that the only point I raised in this matter? I'm not interested in your videos so please save it.
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by frankyychiji(f): 11:32pm On Dec 23, 2017
Boss13:

Are you just aware that our government tells lies? Glad we can all see the impact of investigative journalism. It has to take foreigners, as always, to tell us what is happening in our own country.
Pastor Osunbande still lent his saintly voice to it.
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by Boss13: 11:37pm On Dec 23, 2017
It’s shocking to read comments here still insisting that the chibok girls kidnapping was a scam. This is the height of insensitivity and a gross abnormality of human conscience. Enough of politics, convincing yourself that the horrors the young ladies were exposed to does not exist is to also deny the existence of Boko Haram and the terror they have meted in Northeast Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by LRNZH(m): 11:47pm On Dec 23, 2017
frankyychiji:
Why are you narrowing down this discourse to the girls inability to speak English? Was that the only point I raised in this matter? I'm not interested in your videos so please save it.

Good retort. I now know that you're motivated not by truth and conscience but by ulterior sectarian motives. Good luck young lady.
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by DeeMain(m): 11:57pm On Dec 23, 2017
Cannonleo:
I never insulted nor was aggressive towards your point of view, I used points which I was sure of seen and felt to define my narrative, I never laundered anyones image as far as am concerned this govt have always proved me right so what is there to launder

Lemme me ask you
you are commanding officer of battalion z, a couple of strangling troups return to base to report that FOB M has been attacked and all troops captured, do you ask all troops to commit with no iota of Intel about the situation. Forgetting that the company hq is in charge of that FOB, and since he could not call the overall hq to report the attack was he expecting them tO call him

As far as am concerned, kashim shettima is the biggest incompetent button in this case, you flouted a direct order to relocate all students
fact

someone ask the troops at the school to withdraw
fact

Principal has not been seen around till date but still earns a salary
fact

98 hrs after this happened you were yet to contact Abuja
fact

Troops initiated pursuit but were afraid of hitting the girls and had little information about the size,firepower or strategy of the kidnappers
fact.

A deal was to be struck but called of because of the number of hawks forming professor of BH affairs
fact

I understand you have your view point already laid out , the blame attitude I was once there until I listen to facts, meanwhile I respect you view, respect mine also.

Else you either choke on it, accept it or bury your head like an ostrich either way my words are still here

Kapish. Have a nice night

On the night of the kidnap a military post stationed around Chibok scampered for safety at the sight of the militants. They must have detailed their military ogas of the abduction.

Remember this was the era of phones. Read the article again, some Chibok students who had phones were already calling home. Chibok residents were calling both the military and the police for help as the horror happened. No help came. Sir, the army was well aware of the incident as it was happening.

Lastly, the kidnap happened during an Emergency rule in Borno. The Federal government had taken over nearly the entire security of the state. The state was supposed to be under siege by the military to forestall further loss of territories and lives to BH. The governor was not the chief security officer of that state as a result of the emergency rule.

These are the facts as gathered from the media and the events that happened around the period.
Question is why would the military not chase the militants down as the event was happening?

A demotivated, low on morale military at that point in time. Two, a federal government that believed BH was a ploy by the north to make the government ungovernable. Three, a GEJ that believed that all the issues and violence happening in the north were by his enemies who wanted to make him look bad.

Commanders and Generals in order to retain their jobs will, of course, tell the president what he wants to hear. It's your enemies. They have come again. Give them no heed.

May God save this country from serial incompetent leadership at all levels. God help Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by LRNZH(m): 12:00am On Dec 24, 2017
DeeMain:

On the night of the kidnap a military post stationed around Chibok scampered for safety at the sight of the militants. They must have detailed their military ogas of the abduction.

Remember this was the era of phones. Chibok residents were calling both the military and the police for help as the horror happened. No help came. The army were well aware of the incident as it was happening.

Lastly, the kidnap happened during an Emergency rule in Borno. The Federal government had taken over nearly the entire security of the state. The state was supposed to be under siege by the military to forestall further loss of territories and lives to BH. The governor was not the chief security officer of that state as a result of the emergency rule.

These are the facts as gathered from the media and the events that happened around the period.
Question is why would the military not chase the militants down as the event was happening?

A demotivated, low on morale military at that point in time. Two, a federal government that believed BH was a ploy by the north to make his government ungovernable. Three, a GEJ that believed that all the issues and violence happening in the north were by his enemies who wanted to make him look bad. Commanders and Generals in order to retain their jobs will, of course, tell the president what he wants to hear. It's your enemies. They have again. Give them no heed.

May God save this country from serial incompetent leadership at all levels. God help Nigeria

This. cool
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by Duru009(m): 12:14am On Dec 24, 2017
This is what I call investigative journalism !
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by frankyychiji(f): 12:25am On Dec 24, 2017
LRNZH:

Good retort. I now know that you're motivated not by truth and conscience but by ulterior sectarian motives. Good luck young lady.
I am sincerely motivated by the so many unanswered questions surrounding the Chibok saga and by my personal conviction of what I term a wicked conspiracy by desperate power hungry politicians.
Good luck young man.
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by saintade01(m): 12:42am On Dec 24, 2017
And some retarded fellows still says this is a scam
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by LRNZH(m): 1:05am On Dec 24, 2017
frankyychiji:
I am sincerely motivated by the so many unanswered questions surrounding the Chibok saga and by my personal conviction of what I term a wicked conspiracy by desperate power hungry politicians.
Good luck young man.

He's old enough for Papa grin
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by sportfeva(m): 1:33am On Dec 24, 2017
This deserves deep study, a project.
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by kjhova(m): 2:55am On Dec 24, 2017
Stayed awake till 2:44am just to finish reading this article and to reflect and research a bit on the Chibok saga all over again.

It remains sad to note that many still disregard the events of that fateful night. The only comfort I get is that almost all who call this event a scam are PDP apologists mostly from the SE & SS zones. The same folks who backed ex-president GEJ into an embarrassing electoral loss from a position of strength through their folly.

Buhari's government has generally failed too on this Chibok matter. Let's be frank, without the Swiss government, non of these girls would have come home. Till today, Nigeria has nothing to commemorate the Chibok incident. The Buni Yadi case which happened earlier, in which 50 boys were burnt alive in their dormitories, the government doesn't even talk about it again.

I am depressed.

1 Like

Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by henryhemon(m): 5:54am On Dec 24, 2017
guru03:

And you think Buhari thinks about the welfare of the people, read the latest NBS figure on employment And the Fulani herdsmen raveging the country without him calling them to other, u most be the worst wired person on the platform and u should rather grow up cos u are eating fat from Buhari.
b

Mugu did you read where I said buhari is Bad?? Or like your kind cuz you re formatted to hate ?and not know when to say the truth cuz you don't use your God given brain to think and be reasonable?? I don't even work for government. What is Bad is bad. Gej was a disgrace cuz he didn't use all his education to do something reasonable. If that pains you,my advise you can do the needful.......Bleep yourself.
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by seyiseyi84: 6:34am On Dec 24, 2017
My English fit no good but Nigeria youth no get sense at all most from east south and even we way dey west wey we dey Clem say na we go sch pass.All this aboki get sense pass us.see money way them pay boko Haram na god no how much Kanu don collect
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by frankyychiji(f): 6:53am On Dec 24, 2017
LRNZH:

He's old enough for Papa grin
Grand mums need our love and respect.
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by Abubakar247(m): 7:03am On Dec 24, 2017
Idiot and uncivilized animal
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by DonaTee(f): 7:05am On Dec 24, 2017
booblacain:
yet you so eagerly forgave your elders in the North for the roles they played in the issue. Yet you forgave and then joyfully voted as president Buhari who openly made a statement that fighting Boko Haram is fighting the north.

No mind dat slowpoke. Even the army where unwilling to do their job. How then would everything have worked out fine.
They r simply using Nigerian resources to settle their boys.

Somedays I can't help but wonder how fast Nigeria is spiralling into a dark evil abyss
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by tippyboy(m): 7:52am On Dec 24, 2017
So they negotiated with terrorists. This is very painful, and annoying, and stupid. They have put alot of money in the hands of terrorists and they want terrorism to end.
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by guru03(m): 8:02am On Dec 24, 2017
henryhemon:
b

Mugu did you read where I said buhari is Bad?? Or like your kind cuz you re formatted to hate ?and not know when to say the truth cuz you don't use your God given brain to think and be reasonable?? I don't even work for government. What is Bad is bad. Gej was a disgrace cuz he didn't use all his education to do something reasonable. If that pains you,my advise you can do the needful.......Bleep yourself.

Saitan......Bleep you too, and lick your ass.
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by priiince(m): 8:15am On Dec 24, 2017
All I will say is that, Boko haram is a political tool.
Re: The Full Story of Chibok Girls' Release and Ransom Paid - Wall Street Journal by LRNZH(m): 9:34am On Dec 24, 2017
frankyychiji:
Grand mums need our love and respect.

Alright...one love [bear hug]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Emefiele Must Go Protest Storms Aso Rock / Fuel Scarcity, Naira Redesign Are Plans To Scuttle Elections – Tinubu / "Jega Needs All The Help He Can Get" - APC Says In Hilarious Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.