Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,797 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:28 PM

Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty (21458 Views)

Junaid Mohammed: Afenifere Leaders Will Be The First To Flee If War Breaks Out / National Convention: APC Governors, Leaders Fight To Finish / Afenifere Leaders Visit Ooni Of Ife Over Yoruba/Hausa Clash(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by dre11(m): 1:48pm On Dec 23, 2017
• I’ll expose you more – Osoba

• I insist, you’re a sell-out – Okurounmu

• Yoruba elders step in

BY ’TUNDE THOMAS

Prominent Afenifere leaders appear unrelenting in their latest war of words.

Senator Femi Okurounmu had fired the first shot penultimate Saturday when he accused the former governor of Ogun State, Chief Olusegun Osoba, of brokering the ill-fated alliance between former President Olusegun Obasanjo and the then Alliance for Democracy (AD) governors in the South West.

The pact was supposed to be reciprocal with the AD governors mobilizing support for Obasanjo’s reelection bid in 2003 and Obasanjo also ensuring that the governors were returned for a second term in office.

However, the alliance failed, as Obasanjo allegedly betrayed the governors who were all voted out with the exception of the then Lagos State governor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Until Okurounmu spoke out, the general impression many had was that it was Afenifere leaders that brokered the botched alliance.

But Osoba, while reacting to Okurounmu’s allegations in an interview with SATURDAY SUN blasted the Afenifere leader who he described as a serial blackmailer.

Insisting that he was not the one that brokered the alliance, the former Ogun State governor said he was never close to Obasanjo, adding that Afenifere leaders including late Pa Abraham Adesanya, Sir Olanihun Ajayi and others were privy to the discussion between the AD governors and the former President during the build-up to the 2003 general elections.

Describing Okurounmu as Obasanjo’s close pal, Osoba said the former Senator was at the forefront of the fight against the former Speaker, House of Representatives, Hon. Ghali Nabba and other lawmakers when House members wanted to impeach Obasanjo in 2002.

He further challenged Okurounmu to provide evidence, if he has any to prove that he lobbied Afenifere leaders to support Obasanjo or enter into any alliance with the former president to ensure he gained foothold in the South West.

He accused Okurounmu of trying to destroy his name on several occasions, and that he has a penchant for making unguarded statements.
“People should not take Okurounmu serious.

That is his character. He is very good in character assassination. I will not be the first person that will be his victim, he has been doing so to others. It is this kind of character that he has been exhibiting that destroyed his relationship with the Onabanjo family, I mean late Chief Bisi Onabanjo former civilian governor of Ogun State.

Is Okurounmu welcomed in Onabanjo’s house today? It is the same with late Chief Bola Ige’s family. People should ask Okurounmu what is the relationship between him and Bola Ige’s family today? Okurounmu is a blackmailer that should be ignored,” he declared.

However, when taken up on Osoba’s reply to his allegations and accusations, Okurounmu insisted that he stood by his allegations against Osoba. He, however, refused to provide facts to back up his allegation as challenged by Osoba.

“For now, I have no further comments. But I stand by my allegations against Osoba, and luckily that day when we met at Ambassador Walter Carrington’s programme and he challenged me, I reaffirmed my position and I was supported by Chief Ayo Adebanjo who confirmed that everything I said about Osoba regarding that alliance between Obasanjo and former AD governors was right. What else do you want me to say? For now, I’m not replying Osoba,” he said.

Prodded to defend himself against some weighty allegations Osoba made against him, Okurounmu said: “If it is on this issue or alliance between Obasanjo and AD governors, I have nothing else to say again and I’m not joining issues with Osoba on the pages of newspapers for now. Nigerians should wait for my memoirs about that event and series of other ones. My memoir is almost ready. Nigerians should wait for it.”

On his own part, Osoba, who had earlier expressed determination to take Okurounmu to the cleaners if he denies his allegations against him, however, said that he is putting his own memoir together to set the record straight about the event of that period and the role he played.

He warned that any more attack from Okurounmu will force him to further expose the Afenifere leader. “I’m not ready to join words with him but if he says anything against me, I will open up and expose him more”, Osoba said.

Saturday Sun, however, gathered that prominent Yoruba elders have intervened by calling the two warring leaders, to give peace a chance.

http://sunnewsonline.com/afenifere-leaders-fight-dirty/

lalasticlala
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by SadiqBabaSani: 1:54pm On Dec 23, 2017
Lol Tinubu Splitting Afenifere Since 1900Ad

8 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by tribalistseun: 2:05pm On Dec 23, 2017
Thiefnubuu destroying Unity in Afonjaland.com

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by DoTheNeedful: 2:14pm On Dec 23, 2017
I don't understand what they mean by Obasanjo betraying them in 2003. OGD won fair and square in Ogun State in 2003. Prior to that election, Osoba showed himself to be arrogant and many people felt he under performed between 1999 to 2003. When people like Okurounmu say OBJ betrayed them in 2003, do they mean that people's votes should not matter?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by BeautifulSE: 2:20pm On Dec 23, 2017
Haha. Afenifebi grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by Evablizin(f): 4:04pm On Dec 23, 2017
Let their fight bring positive change.
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by infoservant: 4:09pm On Dec 23, 2017
Smh

Well, check my signature/profile to see latest job post, business tips, travel tips, education tips
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by deji17: 4:27pm On Dec 23, 2017
tribalistseun:
Thiefnubuu destroying Unity in Afonjaland.com
Africa largest economy without functional roads , hospital, electric power, industries etc. Is that one a sound economy? An economy built on the back of high oil price and importation of many consumables, including toothpick, is that one an economy? All these economic illiterates, parroting garbage that PDP gave them, to go to town with, are only wasting their time.

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by 2cato: 4:40pm On Dec 23, 2017
Clowns dancing naked in the market

6 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by ebujany(m): 5:52pm On Dec 23, 2017
Nothing new. Its their trademark ....so called elders dancing naked in the street, what do you expect their youth's to do?

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by Built2last: 5:52pm On Dec 23, 2017
Ok
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by raker300: 5:53pm On Dec 23, 2017
Nothing to see..

Just Afonjas being Afonjas

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by BafanaBafana: 5:53pm On Dec 23, 2017
Aaaah!

3 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by Foodforthought: 5:53pm On Dec 23, 2017
Fools
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by DWJOBScom(m): 5:54pm On Dec 23, 2017
Typical of OBJ - betrayer is his normal role in every movie or scheme.

He can never be trusted. I don't want to a racist but a certain tribe plays that role all the time and they cry loudest

7 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 23, 2017
smiley
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by Bossontop(m): 5:54pm On Dec 23, 2017
undecided
Bunch off useless old thieves

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by joystickextend1(m): 5:55pm On Dec 23, 2017
undecided okay

Meanwhile guys check out my profile for your extender products and other adult fantasy toys
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by AmAlbert(m): 5:55pm On Dec 23, 2017
Sound like a group of clashing plates to me... AFENIFERE... grin

6 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by tolux247(m): 5:56pm On Dec 23, 2017
deji17:
Africa largest economy without funtional roads , hospital, industries etc. Is that one a sound economy? An economy built on the back of high oil price and importation of many consumables, including toothpick, is that one an economy? All these economy illiterates, parroting garbage that PDP gave them, to go to town with, are only wasting their time.

No mind them... Got to bring this back ..... Have been saving since 2014 when she said this an ve neva regret voting in Buhari since then

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by tballeyy(m): 5:57pm On Dec 23, 2017
Is like u guys don't have tangible job doing
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by bedspread: 5:58pm On Dec 23, 2017
JUST LOOK AT THEM

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by 12345baba(m): 5:58pm On Dec 23, 2017
Ndi Yoruba akpaamu. I thought they were spotless.

6 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by Jesusloveyou: 6:00pm On Dec 23, 2017
Wow

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by Nawteemaxie(m): 6:01pm On Dec 23, 2017
D
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by BruncleZuma: 6:02pm On Dec 23, 2017
grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by drkay(m): 6:04pm On Dec 23, 2017
ABEG, FIGHT DIRTY SIRS.

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by chrisxxx(m): 6:06pm On Dec 23, 2017
Give elders soured wine and you do not need to request to see their teeth. More soured wine to them so that we can hear how you people sold Nigerians to Buhari.

2 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by lilytender: 6:08pm On Dec 23, 2017
DoTheNeedful:
I don't understand what they mean by Obasanjo betraying them in 2003. OGD won fare and square in Ogun State in 2003. Prior to that election, Osoba showed himself to be arrogant and many people felt he under performed between 1999 to 2003. When people like Okurounmu say OBJ betrayed them in 2003, do they mean that people's votes should not matter?

My dear brother, when Buhari went to court to contest the result of the 2003 presidential election, the Court of Appeal nullified the Ogun State result of the presidential election saying that it was massively rigged in favour of Obasanjo. The court went on to deduct Ogun State vote count from the overall total but Obasanjo still had majority votes.

On this note, considering that the governorship and the presidential election took place simultaneously, we can deduct that if Osoba had gone to court to contest the governorship election, it would have been nullified also. I am not supporting either party, I just stated what happened at the court. So stop saying that OGD won free and fare.

2 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by karashita: 6:09pm On Dec 23, 2017
Yeye old men; Na memoirs then wan sell.But seriously,the deed had been done.What exactly is their problem?......and shey na Osoba still sell the change mantra to the South-West ni?Abi is he the one who made people vote "Sai Baba" blindly?Msheew

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by lilytender: 6:11pm On Dec 23, 2017
ebujany:
Nothing new. Its their trademark ....so called elders dancing naked in the street, what do you expect their youth's to do?

Nothing more than what they did between 1967 and 1970 when they totally destroyed the enemies from the East.

3 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Dirty by cantok(m): 6:13pm On Dec 23, 2017
Yes, tell us how you aided PDP and DIE$IANI ALEAK-SON M$DUEKE

(1) (2) (Reply)

NERC Directs Discos To Increase Tariff From April 1 / Igbos, Most Brilliant Black Africa Race –us report / I’ll Create Mass Employment In Ogun, Says Dimeji Bankole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.