Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,677 members, 7,813,258 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:42 AM

Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. (1454 Views)

List Of 24 Top Politicians Who Defected To APC After Buhari's Victory / Top Most Active Nigerian Politicians On Social Media / List Of Top Politicians That Dump PDP For APC After Buhari Victory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Hardtalk: 7:28pm On Apr 04, 2010
Attack on airline: Suspect targeted five Americans, top politicians
By Mike Odiegwu, Published: Saturday, 3 Apr 2010

View All (55) Comment(s)
Strong indications have emerged that the suspected terrorist who drove a car into Margret Ekpo International Airport‘s tarmac, Calabar, and hit the underbelly of a parked aircraft belonging to Arik Airline on Wednesday might have targeted the five Americans and top politicians on board the aircraft.

Investigations by SUNDAY PUNCH revealed that the suspect, Mr. Aniefiok Elijah Okon, from Akwa-Ibom State might have been on a sponsored suicide mission to either embarrass the airline or the country.

Apart from the five Americans, top politicians including the Chairman, Cross River State Forestry Commission and former governorship aspirant in the state, Mr. Odinga Odinga, were on board the plane.

It was gathered from the police that the manner in which the suspect carried out the aborted attack gave confirmation that he was handed down clear instructions and details of his target by his alleged sponsors.

The police in Calabar, Cross River State, disclosed to our correspondent that they were working on a theory that the suspect was engaged in a sponsored mission, adding that thorough investigation was ongoing to unmask the sponsors of the futile attempt.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mr. Etim Dickson, refused to speak on the matter, claiming he was on inspection tour of police formations in the state with the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Ahmed Ibrahim, when the incident occurred. A top police officer said investigation was in progress.

However, another police source who craved anonymity said that two Air Force officers who were on duty when the incident occurred had been recalled to their base for interrogation.

Referring to the incident as a security breach, he wondered why the security operatives could not stop the suspect before he got to the tarmac.

He said, ”I can assure you that we are doing everything possible to get to the root of this matter. It is a serious security breach and all those involved in it must be fished out and punished. There were five Americans and top politicians on board that plane and we are working on the theory that the futile attack was targeted at them. It was a suicide mission.”

The suspect, who is being interrogated at the Criminal Investigation Department of the police command, he added, had been feigning madness.

He said: ”Because the attack was not successful, his behaviour at this preliminary stage of our interrogation was expected. We know he is just feigning madness. We know he is just acting a script. He will eventually tell us the truth. The earlier he tells us the truth, the better for him because we must get to the bottom of this matter.

”No madman could have done what he did. He drove a car crashing through two security gates and headed straight for a boarded aircraft. In the process, he even did a U-turn and squeezed the car underbelly and now he is claiming to be mad. We cannot be deceived.”

He added that the management of the airline had premonition of the attack but did not expect it to occur in Calabar.

He said the airline confirmed it had received several threats of possible attack on its aircraft by unknown persons, but that it did not expect the attack to occur in Calabar.

But the Arik Media Officer, Mr. Banji Ola, who spoke to our correspondent on Friday, denied the claim.

He frowned on the insinuation saying, ”how can we have premonition of such a dastardly act. It is not true.”

On Wednesday, tragedy was averted when a lone occupant of Audi NA 234 KAM breached security at the airport by breaking two gates manned by officials of the Nigerian Air Force and gaining access to the tarmac.

Okon who had driven a distance of about 500m in the tarmac unchallenged, headed for the left wing of Boeing 5N-MJJ aircraft, but made a U-turn and buried the car underbelly.

Despite the impact, the suspect had remained in the car probably waiting for possible explosion until airport security operatives dragged him out of the scene.

But Okon who has been described as a Christian extremist, instead of showing remorse for his action, had rained abuses on everybody at the airport.

He had repeatedly said, “You are all sinners. All of you deserve to die because mankind is turning away from God. People in the world are turning away from God. Every human being is wicked and deserved to go to hell except you repent.”

The impact of the car on the 95-passenger aircraft which was about taxing down to the runway for take-off had sent jitters into the spines of the passengers who immediately jostled down for safety.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201004031214725
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by ReachRich(m): 7:36pm On Apr 04, 2010
That man should be thoroughly investigated.I believe he has some powerful sponsors.He cant be mad.No mad man can precisely break 2 security gates of an airport and drive directly towards an already loaded airplane.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by mistakay: 9:22pm On Apr 04, 2010
Hardtalk:

Okon who had driven a distance of about 500m in the tarmac unchallenged, headed for the left wing of Boeing 5N-MJJ aircraft, but made a U-turn and buried the car underbelly.

Despite the impact, the suspect had remained in the car probably waiting for possible explosion until airport security operatives dragged him out of the scene.

But Okon who has been described as a Christian extremist, instead of showing remorse for his action, had rained abuses on everybody at the airport.

He had repeatedly said, “You are all sinners. All of you deserve to die because mankind is turning away from God. People in the world are turning away from God. Every human being is wicked and deserved to go to hell except you repent.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201004031214725

he was on a suicide mission for 7 loaf of breads in hell grin grin grin
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Kobojunkie: 9:31pm On Apr 04, 2010
The Title claims he targeted five Americans, and top politicians on board the aircraft but the article does not corroborate this claim in any way. What is this?
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Nobody: 9:51pm On Apr 04, 2010
mistakay:

he was on a suicide mission for 7 loaf of breads in hell grin grin grin

Here we go again.

Better 7 loaves in heaven than 72 Harlots in Hell , lol. grin grin
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Hardtalk: 11:44am On Apr 05, 2010
Hardtalk:

Strong indications have emerged that the suspected terrorist who drove a car into Margret Ekpo International Airport‘s tarmac, Calabar, and hit the underbelly of a parked aircraft belonging to Arik Airline on Wednesday might have targeted the five Americans and top politicians on board the aircraft.

Investigations by SUNDAY PUNCH revealed that the suspect, Mr. Aniefiok Elijah Okon, from Akwa-Ibom State might have been on a sponsored suicide mission to either embarrass the airline or the country.

Apart from the five Americans, top politicians including the Chairman, Cross River State Forestry Commission and former governorship aspirant in the state, Mr. Odinga Odinga, were on board the plane.

It was gathered from the police that the manner in which the suspect carried out the aborted attack gave confirmation that he was handed down clear instructions and details of his target by his alleged sponsors.

The police in Calabar, Cross River State, disclosed to our correspondent that they were working on a theory that the suspect was engaged in a sponsored mission, adding that thorough investigation was ongoing to unmask the sponsors of the futile attempt.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mr. Etim Dickson, refused to speak on the matter, claiming he was on inspection tour of police formations in the state with the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Ahmed Ibrahim, when the incident occurred. A top police officer said investigation was in progress.

However, another police source who craved anonymity said that two Air Force officers who were on duty when the incident occurred had been recalled to their base for interrogation.

From all indication, the main mission of the sponsored suicide bomber, may have nothing to do with the Amercians, but some useless religious beliefs. The state is infested with all manner of religious sects, that feed their people with poisonous doctrine. The presence of the Americans, might just be coincidental. If you go to Calabar on Sunday morning, it is like a ghost town. They have all gone to their various places of worship, and the names of the churches are so funny that, I wonder why GOD is still being patient, with all these false prophets. It is in this same Calabar, that a man calls himself, the god of our time. He even went to the extent of telling the fools called congregation, that he is god, and that none of his children were concieved normally, rather, whenever he wanted a child, he will put water in a glass cup, and give to the wife to concieve. Fallacy of our time.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Otobroto(f): 12:12pm On Apr 05, 2010
ReachRich:

That man should be thoroughly investigated.I believe he has some powerful sponsors.He cant be mad.No mad man can precisely break 2 security gates of an airport and drive directly towards an already loaded airplane.

Indeed, there is a purpose for what the man did. The govt really have to investigate this man, and the reason behind it. They should not be carried away by madness, being circulated by the ignorants!. There is a reason, and there must be a sponsor.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by selingel: 12:49pm On Apr 05, 2010
Kobojunkie:

The Title claims he targeted five Americans, and top politicians on board the aircraft but the article does not corroborate this claim in any way. What is this?

That is Nigerian way of reporting. Meanwhile, they expect you to do the addition and subtraction. Five Americans in Arik, top Nigerian politician in the same aircraft, and taxi rammed into aircraft,therefore so so and so! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Enjoyment1(f): 1:04pm On Apr 05, 2010
Hardtalk:

From all indication, the main mission of the sponsored suicide bomber, may have nothing to do with the Amercians, but some useless religious beliefs. The state is infested with all manner of religious sects, that feed their people with poisonous doctrine. The presence of the Americans, might just be coincidental. If you go to Calabar on Sunday morning, it is like a ghost town. They have all gone to their various places of worship, and the names of the churches are so funny that, I wonder why GOD is still being patient, with all these false prophets. It is in this same Calabar, that a man calls himself, the god of our time. He even went to the extent of telling the fools called congregation, that he is god, and that none of his children were concieved normally, rather, whenever he wanted a child, he will put water in a glass cup, and give to the wife to concieve. Fallacy of our time.

You are very correct here. In Calabar, there are too many churches in Calabar. Infact, some go under these names:
1. New Christian World Ministry.
2. Church of Jesus Christ of the latter day Saint.
3. New Apostolic Church.
4. The Rosicrucian Order.
5. Eckankar.
6. Brotherhood of the Cross and Star.
7. Sabbath etc.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Apr 05, 2010
Enjoyment1:

You are very correct here. In Calabar, there are too many churches in Calabar. Infact, some go under these names:
1. New Christian World Ministry.
2. Church of Jesus Christ of the latter day Saint.
3. New Apostolic Church.
5. Eckankar.
7. Sabbath etc.

Okay Ms Politically correct.

Tell me how many thousands have they killed in the past decade ?

And for your enlightenment everyone even children know that the following three are cults and not churches :

5. Eckankar.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Enjoyment1(f): 1:33pm On Apr 05, 2010
frosbel:

Okay Ms Politically correct.

Tell me how many thousands have they killed in the past decade ?

And for your enlightenment everyone even children know that the following three are cults and not churches :

5. Eckankar.

My Dear, it is you, that have called them cults, but they see themselves as a group, that have like minds. OOO has never seen itself to be a cult. Rowland the new leader of OOO sees himself as the new JESUS and the father, god!. What do you have to say about that?
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Nobody: 1:41pm On Apr 05, 2010
Enjoyment1:

My Dear, it is you, that have called them cults, but they see themselves as a group, that have like minds. OOO has never seen itself to be a cult. Rowland the new leader of OOO sees himself as the new JESUS and the father, god!. What do you have to say about that?

Very funny analogy.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Enjoyment1(f): 3:48pm On Apr 05, 2010
frosbel:

Very funny analogy.

It is indeed very funny because you do not know Olumba Olumba Obu. Seek information about him, and his operation in Calabar. The name of his church is Brotherhood of the Cross and Star. So, who is telling the truth here. My friend seek knowledge.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Enjoyment1(f): 3:51pm On Apr 05, 2010
You cannot be in UK and know all what is happening in Nigeria, except we tell you. I school in PH and Calabar, born and lived all my life in Lagos, and currently work in Abuja. so, what are you telling me?.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Enjoyment1(f): 3:58pm On Apr 05, 2010
As I am talking to you, Bishop Oyedepo is on his way to Aso Rock, to see the occupants. More details on his visit soon. Now Mr. Frosbel, do you know that? You will not know until one journalist publish that, for you to read. My friend, seek knowledge and genuine info, and stop feeding on remnants.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Beaf: 4:03pm On Apr 05, 2010
The suspect, who is being interrogated at the Criminal Investigation Department of the police command, he added, had been feigning madness.

He said: ”Because the attack was not successful, his behaviour at this preliminary stage of our interrogation was expected. We know he is just feigning madness. We know he is just acting a script. He will eventually tell us the truth. The earlier he tells us the truth, the better for him because we must get to the bottom of this matter.

No madman could have done what he did. He drove a car crashing through two security gates and headed straight for a boarded aircraft. In the process, he even did a U-turn and squeezed the car underbelly and now he is claiming to be mad. We cannot be deceived.”

When did police men become psychiatrists? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
I fear fear that mans life. Maybe the police think they can beat the "truth" out of him.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Nobody: 4:03pm On Apr 05, 2010
Enjoyment1:

As I am talking to you, Bishop Oyedepo is on his way to Aso Rock, to see the occupants. More details on his visit soon. Now Mr. Frosbel, do you know that? You will not know until one journalist publish that, for you to read. My friend, seek knowledge and genuine info, and stop feeding on remnants.

Lol. I shall enlighten you further later on when I am less busy.

All your points will be addressed and put in the right context.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Oboma1(m): 4:05pm On Apr 05, 2010
There is sense in what someone said here, the attacker might not have targeted these fellows; but he might have been brainwashed by some fallacious religious doctrine. This can be justified by his comment, while he was being arrested. The Americans must have seen themselves in just an unfortunate situation.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Enjoyment1(f): 4:29pm On Apr 05, 2010
Oboma1:

There is sense in what someone said here, the attacker might not have targeted these fellows; but he might have been brainwashed by some fallacious religious doctrine. This can be justified by his comment, while he was being arrested. The Americans must have seen themselves in just an unfortunate situation.

I think this is what the supposed mad man suffered, which led to the suicide attempt!.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Enjoyment1(f): 4:38pm On Apr 05, 2010
Beaf:

When did police men become psychiatrists? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
I fear fear that mans life. Maybe the police think they can beat the "truth" out of him.

Hello Bros!. Do we have anything in the Nigerian Police? The other day, I saw their Bomb Squad Unit vehicle, and I laugh out loud. You need to see the Pick-up van!. Water comot for my eyes cry cry cry. The guy go suffer the beating of his life. By the time he is left off the hook, his senses will be correct.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Hardtalk: 5:01pm On Apr 05, 2010
Arik sends damaged aircraft to Germany
By Oyetunji Abioye, Published: Sunday, 4 Apr 2010

Arik Air on Friday said that the Boeing 737-700NG aircraft damaged by a taxi on the tarmac of Margaret Ekpo Airport, Calabar on Wednesday would be sent to Germany for thorough investigation.

A taxi driver had reportedly broken two gates of the airport supposedly manned by Air Force officials, and headed straight to tarmac to hit the underbelly of an Abuja-bound Arik that was about to taking off with 95 passengers on board.

Quoting the airline‘s Acting Managing Director, Mr. Chris Ndulue, a statement by the airline said the aircraft, which belly was damaged by the taxi, arrived back safely at the airline‘s hangar in Lagos after the Lufthansa Technic engineers had carried out ferry repairs on it in Calabar.

Ndulue said, ”We are now in the process of preparing the aircraft for the longer flight to Germany where Boeing and Lufthansa engineers will carry out a thorough check and repairs to determine the extent of damages. The engineers are expected to carry out a NDT tests on the aircraft and certify the aircraft on completion of the repairs.”

He said it was through providence and the high specification of Arik Air‘s aircraft that the incident was not more serious.

On the length of repairs of the aircraft in Germany, Ndulue said aircraft should be out of service for approximately 30 days.

He thanked all the people that identified with the airline over the incident and called on the Nigerian government to take necessary steps to ensure the safety of lives and equipment at the airports.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100404355500
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Hardtalk: 5:06pm On Apr 05, 2010
Now who bears the cost of fixing the aircraft? Is it Arik Air, Nigerian Air force (which exist in abstract), FAAN who cares less about passengers safety, or even the FG who is dip soaked in power tussle with the cabal? Who really?.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by 18platoon(m): 6:09pm On Apr 05, 2010
@frosbel, do you need help, cos i can see you've been cornered by Enjoyment1.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by selingel: 6:16pm On Apr 05, 2010
18 platoon:

What were you expecting from a diasporan, who claims to know more than those living in HELL call Nigeria? The babe gave it to him enough, and he had nothing to say, but to say he is busy. My guy, give up. Do not fight a battle where you have lost the war already.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by texazzpete(m): 7:03pm On Apr 05, 2010
Hardtalk:

Now who bears the cost of fixing the aircraft? Is it Arik Air, Nigerian Air force (which exist in abstract), FAAN who cares less about passengers safety, or even the FG who is dip soaked in power tussle with the cabal? Who really?.

The word you're looking for is 'Insurance'.
Every plane is most definitely insured
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by texazzpete(m): 7:06pm On Apr 05, 2010
This sort of speculation only goes to show how brainless many Nigerians can be.
How can he have been on a suicide mission to 'kill Americans and top politicians' when even a 10 year old would have known that the impact from the vehicle alone would only cause structural damage to the plane? Given the height of the plane above the ground, striking the fuel tank would have been a tall order, and it could not be assured that an explosion would take place.

If the guy was a 'sponsored terrorist on a suicide mission', the boot would have been filled with explosives.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 05, 2010
18 platoon:

lol. the babe gave me it to me ?

I am a busy man, I take time to reply posts only when I have ample time to provide detailed and accurate evidence to prove my points.

I shall do so in due course.

But if you are not patient enough to wait for a response , check other posts relating to the same topic where I have carefully dissected this issue.

Now, I never wanted to go down this direction, but since you want to use the case of a maniac to prove that Christians are also terrorist, I thought I should play you at your own game.

See ya soon.  grin
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Enjoyment1(f): 5:08pm On Apr 06, 2010
frosbel:

lol. the babe gave me it to me ?

I am a busy man, I take time to reply posts only when I have ample time to provide detailed and accurate evidence to prove my points.

I shall do so in due course.

But if you are not patient enough to wait for a response , check other posts relating to the same topic where I have carefully dissected this issue.

Now, I never wanted to go down this direction, but since you want to use the case of a maniac to prove that Christians are also terrorist, I thought I should play you at your own game.

See ya soon.  grin

I never meant any harm dear, but I just want you to know some facts about these people.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by selingel: 7:30pm On Apr 06, 2010
texazzpete:

This sort of speculation only goes to show how brainless many Nigerians can be.
How can he have been on a suicide mission to 'kill Americans and top politicians' when even a 10 year old would have known that the impact from the vehicle alone would only cause structural damage to the plane? Given the height of the plane above the ground, striking the fuel tank would have been a tall order, and it could not be assured that an explosion would take place.

If the guy was a 'sponsored terrorist on a suicide mission', the boot would have been filled with explosives.

Yes, you made sense there. If he was sponsored, he might filled the boot or the car with explosive. He must be one of the morons in town.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Dominoifet(m): 9:53pm On Apr 06, 2010
@texazzpete:

This sort of speculation only goes to show how brainless many Nigerians can be.How can he have been on a suicide mission to 'kill Americans and top politicians' when even a 10 year old would have known that the impact from the vehicle alone would only cause structural damage to the plane? Given the height of the plane above the ground, striking the fuel tank would have been a tall order, and it could not be assured that an explosion would take place.

Pls we need u to contact the Police intelligence unit urgently. They don't know this and I'm not sure they will take it if u tell them, but for the books. And by divine intervention might suffice before they beat the mad man to stupor.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by selingel: 10:04pm On Apr 06, 2010
Dominoifet:

@texazzpete:

This sort of speculation only goes to show how brainless many Nigerians can be.How can he have been on a suicide mission to 'kill Americans and top politicians' when even a 10 year old would have known that the impact from the vehicle alone would only cause structural damage to the plane? Given the height of the plane above the ground, striking the fuel tank would have been a tall order, and it could not be assured that an explosion would take place.

Pls we need u to contact the Police intelligence unit urgently. They don't know this and I'm not sure they will take it if u tell them, but for the books. And by divine intervention might suffice before they beat the mad man to stupor.

You have said it all. I just hope the Police authority in Nigeria will be aware of this, so that, the supposed mad man will not be beaten to a state where his madness is cured grin grin.
Re: Attack On Airline: Suspect Targeted Five Americans, Top Politicians On Board. by Dominoifet(m): 12:19am On Apr 07, 2010
@Texazzpete

Pls if u intend to contact d police. Use a very loooooong spoon cos if u reveal ur identity or urself they will just come to tell d public that they have gotten an accomplice amd u know the rest of the story.

Use your math d way u have. 2 b 4warned is 2 b 4armed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ayo Oritsejafor Is Biased May God Forgive Him / GEJ Inauguration To Gulp 5 Billion Naira! / Boko Haram JAMB Questions and Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.