Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,004 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Did You Grow In The Entertainment Era Of Naija T.v Programmes? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Did You Grow In The Entertainment Era Of Naija T.v Programmes? (1214 Views)

TV station(s) That Airs The Most Educative Programmes? / NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s / Your Favorite Nigerian TV Programmes From The Past? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Grow In The Entertainment Era Of Naija T.v Programmes? by mimon79(m): 1:09am On Apr 05, 2010
Some sent this to me and i decided to share with you all. I beleive this will make you have a nostalgic feeling. I bet you can complete the missing programs if you fall under the 1970s to 1980s.

On a good day after school,

You had to wait till 4 o’clock to get any meaningful thing on NTA…!

You would eagerly sit in front of the T.V at 3:30pm watching all the multicoloured lines (color bars) while you waited for NTA come up.

The National Anthem was the first thing on TV…

You watch Thunder sub  and Terrahawks  on Mondays. Pigeon Street  and Bertha  came after. 321 contact was an educative one too.

Samanja was for 7:30 and you hated Newsweek on Monday nights…

You watch Fragle rock , Sesame Street  and animal games on Tuesdays. Reach out was at 5:30.

Your elder ones disturbed your flow at 6:30pm on Tuesdays to watch koko close (Oluwalambe lord, Kasali open the gate), then you all watched new masquerade at 8:30pm.

You enjoyed Voltron  and hated commander mark on Wednesdays. Renta-ghost  came up at 6pm then Kidi vision 101 at 6:30.

Cock crow at dawn was up at 7:30 then Bassey and company (Mr. B is a millionaire) at 8:30, whatever happened to Midweek sports and d boring Nigerian local league.

G-force   Scooby doo   and Super-Ted > were the deal on Thursdays; Wazobia didn’t make sense then Village head master at 8:30pm and was later substituted with Checkmate the Ann Hathrup - Segun Kadiri story.

Friday had the variety of Birdman , Galaxy trio , Ovid video , inspector gadget , danger mouse   scooby doo, robin hood,

Atom Ant,  ring ring do your thing, speed racer

Friday nights………, can’t figure it anymore (some one else can fill in the gap) Friday was Ripples. Friday nights also had us waiting for those Indian movies - likes of Teri meha ba niya! Suli kuuleee, words like neni, nehi.

Saturday mornings were boring after 10am. 7-10am had WWF then Morning ride came up for 10am (very boring). The rest of the day had Telematch at 2pm on NTA 2 and several annoying sport programs; but Things fall apart came up at 8pm.

Network news was very boring.

The only good thing on Sundays was Behind the clouds. What about Newsline with Patrick Oke and Yinka Craig, or Frank Olize? or the third eye with Olu jacobs @10pm. Tales by moonlight with stories of tortoise too wasnt so bad either. Watching Lagos Weekend Television (LWT) with those silly Chinese films where in the movies you see their mouths move before the talk, ……….like ‘you kill ma father…………, I kill you toooo.

For the veterans amongst us, kindly fill in the missing programs.

NB: If you were born later than 1990, you might not be able to recall any of these graceful memories.

But look at it this way, those were the good ‘ol days when Naija was still Naija, …when Unilag suya was da bomb, when big dip ice cream was the ice cream, bazooka joe was the chewing gum, chocoh milo, dr. pepper ,africola, zit, crush, tree top juice( the original),  samco ice cream, parmalat milk, the days of leventis, adema coffe shop, pinto’s ice cream, m1, when d4 was still d4, terries burger,tandi guarana, lumber jack shirts(preferably black & red check, metal face caps, metal boots, pastel shoes, baggy jeans, bbd, new edition bobby brown , mili vanili, janet Jackson ,mc hammer, words like Yo , Word up , later programmes like Yo-MTV Raps, mags like vibe, right on , word up magazines. For chicks – Mills boons, silhouette desire, all the James hardly chases’ etc. For guys going to gigs, hearing the words like ……“ ALL BOYS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! “, obtaining or being obtained, walking like you had a bad left leg (no offence). Wearing of brogue shoes-ox blood leather, suede versions too, being Behind or razzzzzzzz, blowing of phoene, wearing of kito slippers, flourecent t-shirts, stone wash jeans, wearing timberland boots (the Behind kids), or fila boots (for the not so Behind, let’s say razzzz). Remember Men’s Room on Awolowo Road (Ralph Lauren Polo shirts etc, etc.) Those days of wearing all your baffs at home for no reason (this is especially for chicks).  Ikoyi Club swimming pool section with chicken ‘n’ chips, Apapa club Suya, Apapa amusement park, cotton candy, Christmas grotto. The days of Polaroid cameras. ………………………. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA the good ol dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys. MEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin

Hope this cheers you guys up and brings back FOND memories that can never, ever be replaced again.  cry cry cry
Re: Did You Grow In The Entertainment Era Of Naija T.v Programmes? by Dolemite(f): 3:31am On Apr 05, 2010
Haha spot on analysis, Thing ring do your thing.
Re: Did You Grow In The Entertainment Era Of Naija T.v Programmes? by mimon79(m): 4:06am On Apr 05, 2010
Dolemite:

Haha spot on analysis, Thing ring do your thing.

Yeah man,u can certainly say that again lol grin
Re: Did You Grow In The Entertainment Era Of Naija T.v Programmes? by Lamii: 4:49am On Apr 05, 2010
wow. superted and renta ghost cheesy
what about doctor who, speak out?

does anyone remember this competition show where people do crazy things like looking for an object lost in a tub of colorful balls, or doing obstacle course games etc. it's british i think. i used to love that show when i was younger. it's a saturday morning show i think. forgot the channel.
Re: Did You Grow In The Entertainment Era Of Naija T.v Programmes? by mimon79(m): 5:25am On Apr 05, 2010
I think it was called Tele match and it was German concept;and yes it was very intresting indeed cool
Re: Did You Grow In The Entertainment Era Of Naija T.v Programmes? by Lamii: 7:11am On Apr 05, 2010
mimon79:

I think it was called Tele match and it was German concept;and yes it was very intresting indeed cool

yea i just googled it and found the stuff on youtube. wow how do u remember all these stuff tongue tongue tongue
Re: Did You Grow In The Entertainment Era Of Naija T.v Programmes? by lonelydude: 1:36pm On Apr 05, 2010
Men, you tried o. How on earth did you remember all these?

Back then, Voltron and Battle of the planet(G-Force) were my favorites since they had the same characters.
You missed out 'Football made in Germany - Bundesliga'.I remember DORTMUND was my favorite club then coz they were always almost winning.
And I used the name of the players for table-soccer with my friends then.

Those were the days. We don old now. cheesy
Re: Did You Grow In The Entertainment Era Of Naija T.v Programmes? by Orilee9ice(m): 4:27pm On May 07, 2010
But look at it this way, those were the good ‘ol days when Naija was still Naija, …when Unilag suya was da bomb,(went to Unilag by the way soo i KNOW MEN!) when big dip ice cream was the ice cream, bazooka joe was the chewing gum, chocoh milo, dr. pepper ,africola, zit, crush, tree top juice( the original), samco ice cream, parmalat milk, the days of leventis, adema coffe shop, pinto’s ice cream, m1, when d4 was still d4, terries burger and French fries (chips) BEHIND MY HOUSE OFF ADENIRAN OGUNSANYA, my daily nitespot!,, tandi guarana, lumber jack shirts(preferably black & red check, metal face caps, metal boots, pastel shoes, baggy jeans, bbd, new edition bobby brown , mili vanili, janet Jackson ,mc hammer, (been there , soooooooooo did, that , worn the tee shirt, lol) words like Yo , Word up , later programmes like Yo-MTV Raps, mags like vibe, right on , word up magazines. For chicks – Mills boons, silhouette desire, all the James hardly chases’ [i](read all the books available then)[/i]etc. For guys going to gigs, hearing the words like ……“ ALL BOYS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! “, obtaining or being obtained, walking like you had a bad left leg (no offence). Wearing of brogue shoes-ox blood leather, suede versions too, being Behind or razzzzzzzz, blowing of phoene, [i](WORD!!!!!)[/i]wearing of kito slippers, flourecent t-shirts, stone wash AND STREACH jeans, wearing timberland boots (the Behind kids), or fila boots (for the not so Behind, let’s say razzzz). Remember Men’s Room on Awolowo Road (Ralph Lauren Polo shirts etc, etc.) Those days of wearing all your baffs at home for no reason (this is especially for chicks on Bode Thomas and Tafawa Balewa Cresent S/L.and later when we moved to 1004 VI ). Ikoyi Club swimming pool section with chicken ‘n’ chips, Apapa club Suya, Apapa amusement park, cotton candy, Christmas grotto. The days of Polaroid cameras. ………………………. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA the good ol dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys. MEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Mimon79 (as in the happening year\ era- 1979/80)
Man Mi!! i am screaming with memory, exact -ka ta ka llyyyy! way up my street men!!, i did all of the above and more sef, Man, we don old ooooh!! shocked wink but it was al good then, and the good thing is we still remmeber them ol'days wishing we were back to them again
Re: Did You Grow In The Entertainment Era Of Naija T.v Programmes? by Orilee9ice(m): 4:45pm On May 07, 2010
@mimon79
you 4got pam sandals, (different colors) tail grandpa shirts, milli vanilli shoulder pad jackets
Brothers Johnson hair cuts and windscreen glasses, Wella straight and Glait hair products that smelt like amonia but we still used it to look good (no wonder i have no hair now, lol)

CLUBS: FAZE2 YABA, LORDS NITE KLUB MARYLAND IKEJA, BEACHCOMER, PARADISO, ALAGOMEJI YABA, NITESHIFT OPEBI-IKEJA. you had to be seen there on a saturday nite, with your babe and "popsies latest ride" Shifting babe's from campuses, to parties, then it was decent to go out with no "hanky-Panky" going on, , going shoppin' 4 no particular reason, wink

Music: oh dont get me started,

I joined Ilya Lagoon (palmwine drinkers klub) for the fun of it and they "cut my tail" welli welli

Christ Chapel (James Robertson Surulere) HE REIGNS! (REMEMBER THE YELLOW / BLACK./ RED STICKER)

Like u said Those daysssssssssssssssss Mennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! cheesy
Re: Did You Grow In The Entertainment Era Of Naija T.v Programmes? by Orilee9ice(m): 4:52pm On May 07, 2010
, 1979 to 1985, Era of 21st Birthday PARTIES, where everyone tried to out-shine each other with their party planning and organisation! (there was always a party or 2 to go 2 every Saturday nite!) esp in di Surulere, Ikeja, Ikoyi and VI areas, cool and us guys had to have a car (Ride, they used to call it then) or else,
Re: Did You Grow In The Entertainment Era Of Naija T.v Programmes? by FASAAD: 9:00am On Mar 17, 2016
@mimon79....I remember tv programs like disco rally,pop in germany, Jake and the fat man, Matlock, Demcy and Makepeace,Sports Machine,bright sparks,sports billy...,Videovibes (where i first watched Patra's song for the first time and got to know what hip hop was all about.They played more of american hiphop on this program) ...HITS(an african music program that played songs from the likes of brenda fasasi,maryam makeeba,papawemba,onyeka owenu,christy essien igbokwe, etc.)...THOSE WERE THE GOOD OL DAYS.

(1) (Reply)

Top Five Yoruba Movies For Your Delight. / The Family On Chaneel 4 / Mercy Johnson Plays A Young School Girl In New Nollywood Comedy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.