Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,709 members, 7,862,239 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 12:06 PM

Six Worshippers Killed In Easter Tragedy - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Six Worshippers Killed In Easter Tragedy (711 Views)

Security Officers Pose With The Dead Lion Killed In Jos (Pictured) / PHOTOS: Hindus Slaughter 5,000 Buffalo To Bring Worshippers Goodluck / 20 Killed In Renewed Benin City Cult War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Six Worshippers Killed In Easter Tragedy by Ayemokhia: 3:14am On Apr 05, 2010
MAHLANYA – At least six people were crushed to death during an all-night church service when a slab of concrete fell on them on Friday.

The incident that sent shock waves around the small community of KaHandolo, in Mahlanya, occurred at the Swazi Christian Church in Zion at midnight.
This service was attended by close to 800 people, mainly the youth members of the church.
Some of those in attendance were from South Africa.

According to David Dlamini, treasurer of the church, two of the worshippers died on the spot while others were certified dead at the Raleigh Fitkin Memorial Hospital in Manzini.
Dlamini said the incident was bound to happen because there was nothing supporting the concrete slab that hung from the rafters, save for a door frame which was at the centre of the church hall.
He said the walls supporting the door frame (on the sides) had been demolished to create space when the church was expanded recently.

Narrating the tragic ordeal, Dlamini said he was watching proceedings of the service from outside through a window when he heard a snapping sound.
“I had just left the room after an inner voice told me to move out when the concrete came down on the people,” he said.

“This was after some had screamed that there was a snake inside the church. In fact, we later learnt that it was a lizard. I think people panicked when they saw others jumping up and screaming.”
Dlamini said a few seconds after the thumping sound of the falling bricks, worshippers rushed for the door in a stampede.

“Since I had seen what had happened, I tried to force my way inside. It was almost impossible because everyone was rushing out. However, I managed to shove my way in,” he said.
Once inside, Dlamini said he saw many people trapped beneath the debris.
Some were trying to free themselves while others lay motionless.
Where possible, Dlamini said they lifted the concrete slab pieces while some dragged the survivors from underneath.

He said those who had been rescued were placed outside the church while transport was sought.
“I was a bit disappointed, though, with some of our members, especially those who have vehicles. They took time to respond to the emergency after realising that others were not offering any help,” he lamented.
Dlamini said about four ambulances arrived at the scene when most of the injured had already been transported by private vehicles.
Police Public Relations Officer Senior Superintendent Vusi Masuku, confirmed that six people were crushed to death at the church.

Pastor’s love story before calamity

MAHLANYA – Even though many were traumatised, they vividly remember what the priest was saying before the wall collapsed.

Those interviewed after the incident said Reverend Tembe was at the altar when the walls crumbled.
“He was talking about the beautiful girl who was in their church choir while he was still a young man. He said he proposed love to this girl,” David Dlamini said, relating what the priest was talking about.
Dlamini added that the concrete wall came down before Reverend Tembe could finish his sentence.

Church builder among the dead

MAHLANYA – One of the people killed during the incident is said to be the builder of the church.

The builder (name known to this newspaper but will not be revealed for now) who died on the spot had been tasked with the extension of the church.

David Dlamini, the treasurer, said he talked to the builder about some anomalies relating to the demolished wall.
“He told me that he was equally worried about this, adding that pillars should be used to support the concrete wall.
“However, we quickly brushed through the conversation because there was a sermon going on,” he said.

Persisted

Dlamini said he left the builder after an inner voice persisted that he should move out of the building.
A few minutes later, Dlamini said, the concrete slab fell on the congregants.
Dlamini and others who were interviewed later described the builder as someone who was very good in the construction industry.
Illustrating, they alleged that he had recently acquired a job at the king’s office.

Snake scare caused the commotion

MAHLANYA – A lizard is alleged to have caused the commotion. Since it was dark inside the church, one of the worshippers is said to have felt something moving through the grass that was used as mats and screamed, “Nayi inyoka.” (Watch out, here’s a snake).

People started pushing and shoving after the alarm was raised and raced for the entrance.
Others, in separate interviews, alleged that it was a blue-headed lizard (intfulo) while others claimed it was a frog.
However, most said they had seen a lizard.

David Dlamini said: “I actually saw the lizard running around before the incident.”

Re: Six Worshippers Killed In Easter Tragedy by Dolemite(f): 3:42am On Apr 05, 2010
If they had stayed at home drinking beer and eating suya like me, they would still be alive.

(1) (Reply)

Open Letter To Seun (what Happened To The Ellipsis) / Nl Tank 4 Putin Me N Trouble / Mama Ice!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.