Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,614 members, 7,865,482 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 06:51 PM

Open Letter To Seun (what Happened To The Ellipsis) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Open Letter To Seun (what Happened To The Ellipsis) (711 Views)

Seun What Is Happening? / Mods, Oga Seun.. What Happened To Our Current Topics And Posts!!! / Seun: What Are The Guidelines For Banning Someone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Letter To Seun (what Happened To The Ellipsis) by tempest01(m): 9:07pm On Jun 30, 2010
While replying to and creating threads i have tried to use the Ellipsis so many times only for them to be changed to a comma.
I will like to request here that the ellipsis be allowed though i understand that it may be misused, i think a limit (like 4,5,6) should be made not removing the whole thing totally as it is part of punctuation. Thanks.

An ellipsis [ … ] proves to be a handy device when you're quoting material and you want to omit some words. The ellipsis consists of three evenly spaced dots (periods) with spaces between the ellipsis and surrounding letters or other marks. Let's take the sentence, "The ceremony honored twelve brilliant athletes from the Caribbean who were visiting the U.S." and leave out "from the Caribbean who were":

The ceremony honored twelve brilliant athletes … visiting the U.S.

If the omission comes after the end of a sentence, the ellipsis will be placed after the period, making a total of four dots. … See how that works? Notice that there is no space between the period and the last character of the sentence.

The ellipsis can also be used to indicate a pause in the flow of a sentence and is especially useful in quoted speech:

Juan thought and thought … and then thought some more.
    "I'm wondering …" Juan said, bemused.

N.B some ellipsis might have been changed to comas
Re: Open Letter To Seun (what Happened To The Ellipsis) by tempest01(m): 5:50pm On Jul 01, 2010
I am just guessing that the ellipsis is back, or not
Re: Open Letter To Seun (what Happened To The Ellipsis) by dominique(f): 8:49pm On Jul 01, 2010
all these na story. just space your dots . . . and you get your ellipsis.
Re: Open Letter To Seun (what Happened To The Ellipsis) by tempest01(m): 5:08pm On Jul 02, 2010
dominique:

all these na story. just space your dots . . . and you get your ellipsis.
Thanks 4 d tip wink. . . . i'm grateful.
Re: Open Letter To Seun (what Happened To The Ellipsis) by dominique(f): 9:56pm On Jul 02, 2010
wink
Re: Open Letter To Seun (what Happened To The Ellipsis) by spicyhoney(f): 10:33pm On Jul 02, 2010
@Dominique, thanks 4 d tip, I had the same challenge too.

(1) (Reply)

Mama Ice! / Get This And Start Making $100 Daily In 2011 / We Help U Buy Online And Deliver To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.