Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Nuc Approved Grades - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nuc Approved Grades (7273 Views)

NUC Approved Of A New Grading System In Nigerian University / NUC Approved New Grade System For Universities In Nigeria / NUC Approved New Grade System For Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nuc Approved Grades by Magjoel(m): 9:33pm On Dec 25, 2017
This system is good, it is still the same thing for first class but tougher to get a second class upper.
Re: Nuc Approved Grades by simplebb: 10:27pm On Dec 25, 2017
fatai4change:
The challenge of unemployment in Nigeria is not an issue for HND graduates only; In fact we have more jobless University graduates in Nigeria than Polytechnic graduates. Moreover, i am a proud product of a polytechnic and i never stopped at HND. I have done my PGD and presently doing my MSc, aggrandized with several professional courses/certifications among are: Nigerian Institute of Management (Chartered) -Ass Member, Institute of Strategic Management Nigeria - Ass Member, Professional Diploma in Digital Marketing, SEO, SMM, SEM, Web Analytics and preparing for my CIPM - Ass exams among others. All these are built upon the foundation of my HND (Upper). More so, i have proved myself outstanding among my contemporaries, specifically when i went for SSC 43 Selection Board of the Nigerian Army at NDA, 2014 and even while at training.

My inference: First Degree/HND is just the preliminary stage of higher education in Nigeria. Further development edifies the mind and thus makes one a demand-able product for employers.

Hence, is my Upper credit not worthy of the nomenclature 'almighty'?

Lol, almighty indeed and call those on 3.5 in the University Fuckers since they don't work arduously.

Let us assume you finished with a First class in a reputable Federal University. What terminology will you now use?? Some comments here though, one can't help but laugh.
Re: Nuc Approved Grades by simplebb: 10:53pm On Dec 25, 2017
fatai4change:
Also, to refute your posit that i was "rejected" by university. I never applied to university after my secondary school rather i applied to polytechnic and was admitted, i even had the opportunity of DE to LASU after my ND programme, but i rejected it. The reason for that was not just for glorification but was prompted by my goal to be the best of my field. I had seen and still seeing graduates of both polytechnics and universities and it is not a covert outcry that the former are better than the latter. Why?

The polytechnic teaches and empirically develop its products. How?

The initial two (2) years of study is subjected to experience and training (1 year I.T) and also a requirement for HND admission, thus making HND classes very interactive where every individuals will come with his/her observations and experiences.

Consequently, undergraduate studies requires not just recycling the archaic philosophy (Theory) of solving professional challenges rather a foundation philosophies and empiricalism to confute or construe the one that suits contemporary professional practice. Thus, higher degrees can subsequently enhance one's ability of proposing assertions or set of principles that fit the country and the contemporary practice. The Institute of Strategic Management Nigeria describes it as "Management theory Jungle".

This is the stance of Polytechnic education in Nigeria.

Lol, the funniest comment ever.
Poly grad better than Uni grad and Banks use HND mostly as Contract staff and tellers and frustrate them for years, and Uni as ET and high ranking officers, this year alone, Stanbic, Access, Diamond, Union, EcoBank all announced recruitment for ET, it was Bsc no room for HND go and check that my brother, go to the oil and gas, Shell, Orwell, ODNL and recently Seplat was for University graduates alone, GE jobs for Entry level is University graduates. The big four accounting firms announcement was for Bsc. The truth is glaring enough. I work with a top construction company in Abuja and the firm doesn't even recruit HND graduates. It prides itself as employers of university best brains.

I am not against Polytechnic education, you are free to even get your Masters there (lol) but to wake up and say a diploma is equivalent to a degree is weed effect, do what work best for you, I won't engage this conversation anymore. I am just amazed at how the Poly graduates are better and all the recruitments have seen so far as a young graduate doesn't reflect it.

Click on the links posted above to read different views to the matter and hear from those who are fresh and experienced, those who were privileged to attend both polytechnics and universities and who won't refrain from the truth.

It is wrong to compare a degree with a diploma.
Let this debate die down and let us all move forward, I wasn't just pleased that you want to demean the university products.

2 Likes

Re: Nuc Approved Grades by cruzydal(m): 9:10am On Dec 26, 2017
simplebb:

You called rejected university folks who had no option but to accept polytechnic admission and finished with upper credit "Almighty" but University 2.1 graduate fuckers since they don't work arduously right. You are just embittered by the predicament of being dumped by a university, where the best brains are situated.

This is ignorance at its peak.
No wonder some organizations believe HND is equivalent to Bsc Third class, people like you are responsible for that.
True talk
Re: Nuc Approved Grades by psucc(m): 11:49am On Dec 26, 2017
Which standard? I don't understand what is happening with our policymakers. They tend to mess up the system in the name of reform. At first it was a no no for calculator but now WAEC is giving out Scientific Calculator to students. JAMB was 180 but now 120. Downgrading is never the best to achieving success.

Swaggzkid:

Bro aint gon'be easy oo.., dem just want set standard sha. grin
Re: Nuc Approved Grades by Skyken99(m): 7:44pm On Dec 26, 2017
Statistically, its still the same thing with the previous grading system.

Previously first class =4.5-5
NEW first class =3.5-4

Example
Mr A offerred 7 courses

NEW OLD
GRADING GRADING
SYSTEM SYSTEM
COURSE 1 2units A 4×2=8 5×2=10
COURSE 2 2units A 4×2=8 5×2=10
COURSE 3 2units A 4×2=8 5×2=10
COURSE 4 3units A 4×3=12 5×3=15
COURSE 5 3units A 4×3=12 5×3=15
COURSE 6 3units B 3×3=9 4×3=12
COURSE 7 3units C 3×2=6 3×3=9
=18units =63 =81
63/18 81/18
=3.5 =4.5

Recall NEW GRADING SYSTEM FIRST CLASS =3.5 - 4
OLD GRADING SYSTEM FIRST CLASS =4.5-5

THUS, BOTH ARE almost the same thing.

Re: Nuc Approved Grades by emmy9500: 10:08pm On Dec 26, 2017
Oduok:

You are very correct. My 4.4 on the scale of 5 if converted on the scale of 4 would have been a First Class.

U re wrong a combination of C Nd B would get you second class (upper division) on a 5.0 scale but on a 4. Scale if will only get you second class ( lower division) all B on a 5 scale is 4.0 which is a comfortable 2-1 but all B on a 4. Scale is 3.0 which is just the edge if 2-¹
Re: Nuc Approved Grades by davbravo(m): 10:49pm On Dec 26, 2017
Skyken99:
Statistically, its still the same thing with the previous grading system.

Previously first class =4.5-5
NEW first class =3.5-4

Example
Mr A offerred 7 courses

NEW OLD
GRADING GRADING
SYSTEM SYSTEM
COURSE 1 2units A 4×2=8 5×2=10
COURSE 2 2units A 4×2=8 5×2=10
COURSE 3 2units A 4×2=8 5×2=10
COURSE 4 3units A 4×3=12 5×3=15
COURSE 5 3units A 4×3=12 5×3=15
COURSE 7 3units C 3×2=6 3×3=9
=18units =63 =81
63/18 81/18
=3.5 =4.5

Recall NEW GRADING SYSTEM FIRST CLASS =3.5 - 4
OLD GRADING SYSTEM FIRST CLASS =4.5-5

THUS, BOTH ARE almost the same thing.

Try calculating it with B's and C's and no A, lets see if it's the same....

modified

NEW OLD
COURSE 1 2units B 3×2=6 4×2=8
COURSE 2 2units B 3×2=6 4×2=8
COURSE 3 2units B 3×2=6 4×2=8
COURSE 4 3units C 2×3=6 3×3=9
COURSE 5 3units C 2×3=6 3×3=9
COURSE 7 3units C 2×3=6 3×3=9
=18units =45 =63
45/18 63/18
=2.5 =3.5

Based on this, on the old scale the person is on 2.1 but on the new scale, 2.2 .....
Re: Nuc Approved Grades by davbravo(m): 11:12pm On Dec 26, 2017
emmy9500:

U re wrong a combination of C Nd B would get you second class (upper division) on a 5.0 scale but on a 4. Scale if will only get you second class ( lower division) all B on a 5 scale is 4.0 which is a comfortable 2-1 but all B on a 4. Scale is 3.0 which is just the edge if 2-¹
My point exactly. The new system only favours those that won't get anything less than a B
Re: Nuc Approved Grades by Skyken99(m): 10:51am On Dec 27, 2017
davbravo:
Try calculating it with B's and C's and no A, lets see if it's the same....

modified

NEW OLD
COURSE 1 2units B 3×2=6 4×2=8
COURSE 2 2units B 3×2=6 4×2=8
COURSE 3 2units B 3×2=6 4×2=8
COURSE 4 3units C 2×3=6 3×3=9
COURSE 5 3units C 2×3=6 3×3=9
COURSE 7 3units C 2×3=6 3×3=9
=18units =45 =63
45/18 63/18
=2.5 =3.5

Based on this, on the old scale the person is on 2.1 but on the new scale, 2.2 .....

True talk o
Re: Nuc Approved Grades by saintkeppy(m): 2:42pm On Dec 27, 2017
Unstable policy everywhere in this Country.

Thank God I be don grad b4 this poo.
Re: Nuc Approved Grades by saintkeppy(m): 2:48pm On Dec 27, 2017
So a student who scores 44% on let say a 3unit course has failed the course, hence carryover. (0-44) same thing as 0x3 = 0

i.e in the new grading system E grade now becomes F. Therefore u need to score 45% to escape carryover &to earn atleast 1point in the course.

Meanwhile, on a 5point scale whoever scores 40-44% get an 'E' &escapes a carryover on a couple of courses that seems so hard to them grin

E no go eazy on some people o!

Ma broda I still prefer 5point scale,

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Failed My Final Exams / Lagos State University 2nd Batch Admission List Out / Don't Kill Yourself. Check These Relieving Animal Photos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.