Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,679 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) (25345 Views)

Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) / Wole Soyinka With Other Nobel Laureates In 1986(throwback Photo) / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Award For Literature In 1986(throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by ettybaba(m): 1:29pm On Dec 26, 2017
lakhadimar:
why didn't ashebe attend ojukwu's funeral? why must you Ibos view everything through the lens of we vs them.
is it suffice to say that ashebe betrayed ojujwu by not attending his funeral
Bros I tire you them o.

2 Likes

Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by gbadexy(m): 1:31pm On Dec 26, 2017
Teniola2000:

You are a very big fool....Literature is not segregational....just because someone studied medicine doesn't mean he or she can't express himself in the art of writing....for crying out loud...literature is not for only those who studied it in school... You are as lame as the vagina for aunty rukky
Medical doctors and scientists write textbooks and journals too.
I think those require more knowledge and skill to do.
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by nku5: 1:34pm On Dec 26, 2017
gbadexy:

My friend, you use "friend" too loosely. They could just be acquaintance.
Don't forget they were still literary rivals. Although if it was an healthy one or not is what we can't say.
Only both of them can say what truly transpired between them. They too don't share the day to day happenings in their life on the media.
They could just have grown apart. There is nothing like hypocrisy or betrayal. After all we don't have pictures of them sharing meals or attending each others family functions to know how close they were

They were certainly comrades, close colleagues and "friends" for many decades.Though now we know better.

Read this Soyinka article for context

www.saharareporters.com/2013/06/18/village-mourners-association-wole-soyinka

1 Like

Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by arrestdarrester: 1:34pm On Dec 26, 2017
HeyCorleone:
Intellectuals..

People who learnt, understood and mastered the art of writing..

Not the many mediocre we see these days. Because someone can tell blatant tales to his friends he feels he's a qualified author. Someone who doesn't understand a thing about literature or the performing arts..

Imagine a medical doctor writing a novel. Terrible.

Now who is the medical doctor you're beefing? I advise you to call that person up and compare your flair for reading with him or her. On the other hand you may just be surprised you are no where close to the person in written English, whether on records in standardized exams or otherwise.

The fact that any writer did not study literature in english or literary arts does not make such a fellow any less a skilled writer. Its all about flair, polishing and finesse.

That said, I must say you know next to nothing about writing or story telling. You are one of those who think you must practice what you read in school. Professionalism in all disciplines have since gone beyond that. Writing is no different. Its either you have a flair for it or not. And those who have a flair for it need some polishing here and there to establish themselves in the art.

1 Like

Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by chuksanambra: 1:38pm On Dec 26, 2017
Edited
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:39pm On Dec 26, 2017
HeyCorleone:
Intellectuals..

Not the many mediocre we see these days. Because someone can tell blatant tales to his friends he feels he's a qualified author. Someone who doesn't understand a thing about literature or the performing arts..

Medical Doctor writing novel is dearth of Literature? Have you heard of Cyprian Ekwensi? What is his profession again?
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by Bollinger(m): 1:53pm On Dec 26, 2017
DuBLINGreenb:
Although I'm 20 I remember this

How is that possible?
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by Bollinger(m): 1:55pm On Dec 26, 2017
kallmemrB:
Great Men...If we can forgo our tribal Ego we can all achieve great things in unity...though their quest was unsuccessful but they still spoke in one voice... That is The Nigeria we want

Are you sure about that? If the comments on NL are anything to go by, it is definitely not want you want as a people. Definitely not.
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by verygudbadguy(m): 1:55pm On Dec 26, 2017
Teniola2000:

You are a very big fool
....Literature is not segregational....just because someone studied medicine doesn't mean he or she can't express himself in the art of writing....for crying out loud...literature is not for only those who studied it in school... You are as lame as the vagina for aunty rukky
Please, learn to be civil. The guy you quoted passed his message without insulting anybody. Respect is reciprocal.

I can't deal with young guys and gals coming on this platform to disrespect people. Nairaland is for educated folks. Some of the young guys here will see other Nairalanders outside and address them as Sirs/Mas. There are CEOs, philanthropists, Celebrities and other important personalities here. You never can tell who you would need later. Do not be quick to rain insult even if you feel insulted. Learn to keep your cool. The fact that the forum is faceless doesn't mean we should disrespect one another.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by smith666999(m): 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2017
legends with no blings on, yet they are celebrated across the world for a job well done. unlike the youths of today chocking themselves with chains, singing copyright and contributing absolutely nothing positive to humanity.

especially that one called BlackFace... keep dragging African Queen
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by Gbagbazios: 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2017
That was the time when reading books was obsession for students. Now social media has taken the shine off genuine interest to invest time and material in books. May be, just may be, we may never have the like of the trio in generation.
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by Gbagbazios: 1:58pm On Dec 26, 2017
That was the time when reading books was obsession for students. Now social media has taken the shine off genuine interest to invest time and material in books. May be, just may be, we may never have the like of the trio in our generation.

1 Like

Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by AreaFada2: 2:01pm On Dec 26, 2017
HeyCorleone:
Intellectuals..

Actually doctors and medically inclined people are some of the best writers out there.

Achebe got scholarship to study medicine at University College Ibadan. He switched to Literature at UCI, now UI.

Chimamanda Adichie even began medical studies. The American Afghan writer, Khaled Hosseini is a doctor. He wrote "The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns etc". Brilliant novels and was even invited to the White House by George Bush Jnr.

If you are an avid reader you will have read books by the following medical doctors: Anton Chekov, Friedrich Schiller (one of the best German wrirets ever), Francois Rabelais, Arthur Conan-Doyle, Michael Crichton, Oliver Wendell-Holmes, Nawal El-Sadaawi, Robin Cook, and many more. And many who left medical studies half-way became brilliant writers such as John Keats, Oliver Goldsmith, etc.

Doctors get close to people, get to know all their secrets: physical, health, sexuality, employment, economic, financial, marital issues and more. Hardly anybody else gets to understand the human condition on daily basis than a doctor. At least as practiced in the West. All these are stuff of good literature.

Now in terms of ability, medical candidates typically excel in all subjects: arts/languages, social science, science, maths, etc. Most medical students have As or A stars throughout. I am again referring to the West like France, UK and others that I am familiar with. So why should they not excel as writers?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by safarigirl(f): 2:05pm On Dec 26, 2017
lakhadimar:
why didn't ashebe attend ojukwu's funeral? why must you Ibos view everything through the lens of we vs them.
there was nothing in that statement that connoted he was looking at anything through the lens of "we vs them"

Whenever you accuse someone of something that isn't obvious, it must mean you have a similar outlook in life. Check yourself

1 Like

Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 2:29pm On Dec 26, 2017
cry
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by HeyCorleone(m): 2:44pm On Dec 26, 2017
AreaFada2:

Actually doctors and medically inclined people are some of the best writers out there.

Achebe got scholarship to study medicine at University College Ibadan. He switched to Literature at UCI, now UI.

Chimamanda Adichie even began medical studies. The American Afghan writer, Khaled Hosseini is a doctor. He wrote "The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns etc". Brilliant novels and was even invited to the White House by George Bush Jnr.

If you are an avid reader you will have read books by the following medical doctors: Anton Chekov, Friedrich Schiller (one of the best German wrirets ever), Francois Rabelais, Arthur Conan-Doyle, Michael Crichton, Oliver Wendell-Holmes, Nawal El-Sadaawi, Robin Cook, and many more. And many who left medical studies half-way became brilliant writers such as John Keats, Oliver Goldsmith, etc.

Doctors get close to people, get to know all their secrets: physical, health, sexuality, employment, economic, financial, marital issues and more. Hardly anybody else gets to understand the human condition on daily basis than a doctor. At least practiced in the West. All these are stuff of good literature.

Now in terms of ability, medical candidates typically excel in all subjects: arts/languages, social science, science, maths, etc. Most medical students have As or A stars throughout. I am again referring to the West like France, UK and others that I am familiar with. So why should they not excel as writers?

I get your POV.

The Achebe you mentioned studied English Literature at U.I. So I don't understand why you singled him out. The Chimamanda you mentioned also graduated summa cum laude in Communications and Political science, has 2 Masters degree in Creative Arts and African study.

Why you mentioned those 2 people is quite beyond me because it seemed you were opposing my view.

It goes beyond saying that one must at least know the basics of literature before embarking on a project in the creative arts.

Education in Nigeria is one that doesn't do well to balance things up for people. Now, ask a science student in the University when last he did Literature, he'd say JS3 or before then, and any sane person knows Literature in Junior school was crap. Now tell me how can a person understand what exactly it is to write? It's not just enough to swallow all Sidney Sheldon's books or read anything by Stephen King or any other best seller. Do you really understand what it means to write? Do you understand the stages of a story? (conflict, climax, resolution) Do you have ideas of styles and techniques to employ in writing? And you want to write a book?? LoL..

Writing, whether we like it or not, is an art, and like all arts must be mastered, otherwise you'd be a very terrible writer. One of the very worst books I've read in recent times is "The Last Days Of Forcados High". Borrowed it from a neighbour's kid, and man was I depressed. The book was lacking in content. Fine the author had a nice story, but he doesn't know how to write. The depressing thing of all is the book is JAMB recommended.

Anyways, you mentioned some foreign names.. Lol.. These are writers who did literature and took part in literary activities till Grade 12, unlike here where they split us into departments. Surely they'd be grounded in literature. And also why in university, they may decide to minor in some art course, which is quite impossible here. So why won't they make brilliant writers after mastering the art of writing.

But here you have medical doctors who don't know the difference between a simile and a metaphor, who read all things medicine for fear of getting a 'C', and who have no idea about extensive writing coming out to write books or poems.

Lol..

That is why everything in Nigeria is awful. Because we just assume any dick can do any work in the field of art or the social sciences. That is why our Journalism is rubbish, our music rubbish, and the art of governance rubbish.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by HeyCorleone(m): 2:49pm On Dec 26, 2017
Teniola2000:

You are a very big fool....Literature is not segregational....just because someone studied medicine doesn't mean he or she can't express himself in the art of writing....for crying out loud...literature is not for only those who studied it in school... You are as lame as the vagina for aunty rukky

Lol.

Ok
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by Intrepid01(m): 3:11pm On Dec 26, 2017
arrestdarrester:

Now who is the medical doctor you're beefing? I advise you to call that person up and compare your flair for reading with him or her. On the other hand you may just be surprised you are no where close to the person in written English, whether on records in standardized exams or otherwise.

The fact that any writer did not study literature in english or literary arts does not make such a fellow any less a skilled writer. Its all about flair, polishing and finesse.

That said, I must say you know next to nothing about writing or story telling. You are one of those who think you must practice what you read in school. Professionalism in all disciplines have since gone beyond that. Writing is no different. Its either you have a flair for it or not. And those who have a flair for it need some polishing here and there to establish themselves in the art.

Bros, you still didnt get that guy's point, I'll advise you calm down, sheathe your sword and re-read his comment.
I for one believe that the act of "professionalism" that you used was rather to loose....to attain mastery and professionalism in anything, specific trainings are required. Fine, passion is a recipe for attaining it, but it doesn't confer professionalism...thank you.
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by Intrepid01(m): 3:19pm On Dec 26, 2017
HeyCorleone:

I get your POV.

The Achebe you mentioned studied English Literature at U.I. So I don't understand why you singled him out. The Chimamanda you mentioned also graduated summa cum laude in Communications and Political science, has 2 Masters degree in Creative Arts and African study.

Why you mentioned those 2 people is quite beyond me because it seemed you were opposing my view.

It goes beyond saying that one must at least know the basics of literature before embarking on a project in the creative arts.

Education in Nigeria is one that doesn't do well to balance things up for people. Now, ask a science student in the University when last he did Literature, he'd say JS3 or before then, and any sane person knows Literature in Junior school was crap. Now tell me how can a person understand what exactly it is to write? It's not just enough to swallow all Sidney Sheldon's books or read anything by Stephen King or any other best seller. Do you really understand what it means to write? Do you understand the stages of a story? (conflict, climax, resolution) Do you have ideas of styles and techniques to employ in writing? And you want to write a book?? LoL..

Writing, whether we like it or not, is an art, and like all arts must be mastered, otherwise you'd be a very terrible writer. One of the very worst books I've read in recent times is "The Last Days Of Forcados High". Borrowed it from a neighbour's kid, and man was I depressed. The book was lacking in content. Fine the author had a nice story, but he doesn't know how to write. The depressing thing of all is the book is JAMB recommended.

Anyways, you mentioned some foreign names.. Lol.. These are writers who did literature and took part in literary activities till Grade 12, unlike here where they split us into departments. Surely they'd be grounded in literature. And also why in university, they may decide to minor in some art course, which is quite impossible here. So why won't they make brilliant writers after mastering the art of writing.

But here you have medical doctors who don't know the difference between a simile and a metaphor, who read all things medicine for fear of getting a 'C', and who have no idea about extensive writing coming out to write books or poems.

Lol..

That is why everything in Nigeria is awful. Because we just assume any dick can do any work in the field of art or the social sciences. That is why our Journalism is rubbish, our music rubbish, and the art of governance rubbish.

You're very much on point sir, "act of professionalism" can't be acquired wihout formal training. Apparently that is lacking in many so called writers. The sole reason I stopped reading Literatures on Nl,they are all just some beautifully packed incoherent stories for babies......
I hope people will be humble enough to let their passion for literature drive them to acquiring formal training on he subject matter.
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by Akalia(m): 3:27pm On Dec 26, 2017
Big grammar plenty for this thread. People are just shading each other in a bid to massage their egos.
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by wilsontonye: 4:19pm On Dec 26, 2017
lakhadimar:

Like Seriously

1 Like

Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by ruffDiamond: 4:31pm On Dec 26, 2017
nku5:
Soyinka in his old age has become a caricature of his younger self. Cavorting with corrupt APC politicians and betrayed the memory of his friend Achebe by refusing to attend his burial and arrogantly abusing those who called his hypocrisy out.

wait a minute,I didn't hear about that is that really true? that Soyinka didn't attend Achebe burial?? I remember him saying 'he was devastated',..about Achebe's demise! bros please fear God na
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by ruffDiamond: 4:49pm On Dec 26, 2017
smith666999:
legends with no blings on, yet they are celebrated across the world for a job well done. unlike the youths of today chocking themselves with chains, singing copyright and contributing absolutely nothing positive to humanity

especially that one called BlackFace... keep dragging African Queen
no my friend do you really know the meaning of a two faced fellow?... Googled it up and tell me your finding later!the real talent is blackface! and not the cunny ,traitor TWO-FACED, double standard niggah who changed his name to tubaba!
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by armadeo(m): 6:03pm On Dec 26, 2017
This thread has been opened over and over on nairaland.

Anyway it's new to those who haven't seen it before.
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by Nickydrake(m): 6:18pm On Dec 26, 2017
HeyCorleone:
Intellectuals..

Modified:

Many people have replied this post with very terrible words. Lol. I don't blame them. Obviously they can't read. My stance is on learning the art of writing. It's not just studying literature in English or any of that thing. But understanding that writing is an art and should be paid attention to.

Not just because you have one funny story you just feel you have a right to pen it down.

If, as you say, the bolded is what you meant, then still you must accept blame for not expressing yourself competently.

Wherever there is brilliant art, there are dull imitations to be found, and every nation, at any given time, must endure its own share of mediocre artists just as it revels in the genius of the masters.

Today, as that picture illustrates, we define Achebe's generation by the best among them -- Soyinka, Achebe, Clark -- and this is the reason we remember that era so fondly. By your comment you have sought to define the present generation of writers by the worst among them. You have treated an entire era as though it were a single organism, and then passed unfavourable judgment on it.

Is it any surprise, then, that other commenters have protested?

HeyCorleone:

Anyways, you mentioned some foreign names. These are writers who did literature and took part in literary activities till Grade 12, unlike here where they split us into departments. Surely they'd be grounded in literature. And also why in university, they may decide to minor in some art course, which is quite impossible here. So why won't they make brilliant writers after mastering the art of writing.

As with all skills, one must learn the ropes and practice hard in order to gain proficiency, but formal training is not integral to wordcraft. There are many writers of high distinction who did not need MAs or diplomas in creative writing, and there is no justification for the rather absurd claim that foreign writers receive such fine tutoring in grade school that they just had to become master scribes in adulthood.
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by chrsty: 6:31pm On Dec 26, 2017
Achebe was a good story teller, so was my
grandmother. Turning from a raconteur to an art
of sublimity and depth belongs to the masters.
Because of his influence on a continent, I
compare him with Samuel Johnson of the
Shakespearean era. He was described as a great
writer but not a great artist.

copied.
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by guinea1(m): 6:37pm On Dec 26, 2017
ibelieveu:
shut up
Grow up bro...stop hating
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by HeyCorleone(m): 7:30pm On Dec 26, 2017
Nickydrake:

If, as you say, the bolded is what you meant, then still you must accept blame for not expressing yourself competently.

Wherever there is brilliant art, there are dull imitations to be found, and every nation, at any given time, must endure its own share of mediocre artists just as it revels in the genius of the masters.

Today, as that picture illustrates, we define Achebe's generation by the best among them -- Soyinka, Achebe, Clark -- and this is the reason we remember that era so fondly. By your comment you have sought to define the present generation of writers by the worst among them. You have treated an entire era as though it were a single organism, and then passed unfavourable judgment on it.

Is it any surprise, then, that other commenters have protested?

As with all skills, one must learn the ropes and practice hard in order to gain proficiency, but formal training is not integral to wordcraft. There are many writers of high distinction who did not need MAs or diplomas in creative writing, and there is no justification for the rather absurd claim that foreign writers receive such fine tutoring in grade school that they just had to become master scribes in adulthood.

I don't understand what you're trying to pass across. Especially at the end. No one is saying you must compulsorily study Literature in school. But if by happenstance you decide to go into writing and you're not familiar with literature, attend side classes and seminars and workshop. Just get acquainted with the basics of what you're about to go into.

A great deal of these students in the sciences spend a greater part of their school days using numbers and calculations. They hardly do extensive writing. Then suddenly they wake up one morning and decide to go into writing. The most advisable thing to do in such situation is to just take lessons.

That's why we have so many quack electricians and "chemists" around. People who have zero knowledge in electrical works or drugs dispensation be doing it because they don't need "formal training", after all is it not commonsense?!

I think we should begin to take subjects in the Arts and Social Sciences very seriously and stop feeling it's a field any airhead can just dab into whenever they like.

and mention some of these your writers of high distinction without formal training.
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by AreaFada2: 8:56pm On Dec 26, 2017
HeyCorleone:

I get your POV.

Lol..

Well I did science at school. But during the long " vacation" myself and relatives read around 30 to 50 novels. My cousin who is now a US-based architect used to read up 100 novels. We were are science students. One cannot generalise really. Despite the rot in Nigerian education there are versatile individuals out there.

By the way there is no record of William Shakespeare having any brilliant education. He did not even go to university. Yet his contemporaries who went through Oxbridge did not do better than him in terms of literary achievement.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Cheaters (18+) / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article / Nigerian Folk Tales

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.