Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,847 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) (25346 Views)

Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) / Wole Soyinka With Other Nobel Laureates In 1986(throwback Photo) / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Award For Literature In 1986(throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by HeyCorleone(m): 8:58pm On Dec 26, 2017
AreaFada2:

Well I did science at school. But during the long " vacation" myself and relatives read around 30 to 50 novels. My cousin who is now a US-based architect used to read up 100 novels. We were are science students. One cannot generalise really. Despite the rot in Nigerian education there are versatile individuals out there.
By the way there is no record of William Shakespeare having any brilliant education. He did not even go to university. Yet his contemporaries who went through Oxbridge did not do better than him in literary achievement.

Because you read 500 novels doesn't mean you're set to write one. Please.
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by DuBLINGreenb(m): 11:28pm On Dec 26, 2017
Bollinger:

How is that possible?

I read really old magazines my dad used to keep even before I was born reading them makes you feel as though you were there
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by Bollinger(m): 11:35pm On Dec 26, 2017
DuBLINGreenb:

I read really old magazines my dad used to keep even before I was born reading them makes you feel as though you were there

That's a weird explanation but i'll take that.

1 Like

Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by AreaFada2: 11:56pm On Dec 26, 2017
HeyCorleone:

Because you read 500 novels doesn't mean you're set to write one. Please.

Lol. So you mean those who do not read are more likely to be writers? cheesy grin

I will give you and example of a very young relative who who got her poetry published under the age of 8! She began reading lots of kids' novels very very early.

Having a PhD in literature does not mean you are set to write a decent book either.
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by mindtricks: 12:18am On Dec 27, 2017
HeyCorleone:
Intellectuals..

People who learnt, understood and mastered the art of writing..

Not the many mediocre we see these days. Because someone can tell blatant tales to his friends he feels he's a qualified author. Someone who doesn't understand a thing about literature or the performing arts..

Imagine a medical doctor writing a novel. Terrible.

Modified:

Many people have replied this post with very terrible words. Lol. I don't blame them. Obviously they can't read. My stance is on learning the art of writing. It's not just studying literature in English or any of that thing. But understanding that writing is an art and should be paid attention to.

Not just because you have one funny story you just feel you have a right to pen it down.

Truly men of worth.
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by HeyCorleone(m): 1:29am On Dec 27, 2017
AreaFada2:

Lol. So you mean those who do not read are more likely to be writers? cheesy grin

I will give you and example of a very young relative who who got her poetry published under the age of 8! She began reading lots of kids' novels very very early.

Having a PhD in literature does not mean you are set to write a decent book either.

You're failing to get my point.

Never did I stare that those who read less write better. It's funny with all the books you claim to have read you can't grasp simple points..

Because you've read over a zillion books doesn't make you ready to write a book. Do you actually understand the basics of story writing?!

You fail to get that writing is an art, but I don't blame you. We live in a country were engineers work in banks and all. We feel fields of the Arts and Social Sciences are for any Joe blogg. That is why we have not progressed much.
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by Boyooosa(m): 7:02am On Dec 27, 2017
HeyCorleone:
Intellectuals..

People who learnt, understood and mastered the art of writing..

Not the many mediocre we see these days. Because someone can tell blatant tales to his friends he feels he's a qualified author. Someone who doesn't understand a thing about literature or the performing arts..

Imagine a medical doctor writing a novel. Terrible.

Modified:

Many people have replied this post with very terrible words. Lol. I don't blame them. Obviously they can't read. My stance is on learning the art of writing. It's not just studying literature in English or any of that thing. But understanding that writing is an art and should be paid attention to.

Not just because you have one funny story you just feel you have a right to pen it down.
e.g. FFK
Re: JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) by AreaFada2: 10:50am On Dec 27, 2017
HeyCorleone:

You're failing to get my point.

Never did I stare that those who read less write better. It's funny with all the books you claim to have read you can't grasp simple points..

Because you've read over a zillion books doesn't make you ready to write a book. Do you actually understand the basics of story writing?!

You fail to get that writing is an art, but I don't blame you. We live in a country were engineers work in banks and all. We feel fields of the Arts and Social Sciences are for any Joe blogg. That is why we have not progressed much.
Lol. See how assuming you are. I have spent about 65 to 70% of my life outside 9ja. Moreover English is just one of many Western languages I use. Because I presume you mean writing books in English language. So I am not trying to defend 9ja system in anyway. Just telling you that you're looking at things in a rather myopic way.

In places I have lived in, a minister of health does not have to be a medic, a finance minister can be a history graduate and very many senior bankers are lawyers and engineers by training. One prime minister had no university education yet he opened access to university education than any other prime minister in their history.

As system that works simply works. It is about attitude, a set of values and desire to improve.

I know of technicians who left the West to work in Nigeria. They are leading Nigerians with several degrees in major multi-national companies in 9ja. One is even married to a 9ja girl. He works in 9ja and the girl still lives in the West.

My point is still very simple. Having many degrees in literature does not make you a good writer. People are talented in various ways. Some can just refine their skills attending creative writing courses that are everywhere.

Knowing simile, syntax or whatever does not mean you can use them to creative a great literary work.
Aside specially certified professions: healthcare, engineering, architecture, chartered status in some professions, people with proper a education can learn and excel in many fields. They have transferable skills.

Nigeria has failed for other reasons: corruption, tribalism, religious bigotry, turn-by-turn food is ready mentality, etc. Not because a civil engineer works in a bank. Engineers even has a numeracy advantage. And serious companies/Ministries train graduates to the level they want upon employment.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Cheaters (18+) / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article / Nigerian Folk Tales

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.